As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hellgate: London] Hellgate Tokyo is a go 9/22

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So it looks like this goes up at 8 PM EST tomorrow, remember playing this. Had a marksman with a orange cluster rocket launcher or something iirc. Was fun blowing stuff up with it.

Zandracon on
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Engineer all the way. Calling down airstrikes like a boss.

IvanIssacs on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They have two-handers...

Hrm, that's going to make choosing between Marksman and Templar (either) a tough call.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well iit is supposed to be up and working and now I wonder if they even alpha tested.

Shifty_Calhoun on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This isn't even the first beta and the game has been going on for awhile in Korea and Japan. The Global Beta already happened over there awhile ago; like last fall. This was just supposed to be, is my understanding, more of a stress test and from what I'm hearing it's doing exactly that.

I think they just underestimated the response. Which seems a bit silly since they knew exactly how many people they were letting in. Oh wells.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks like the server's up, was able to create a character and get in-game.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got to make a character before the servers went down again! VICTORY!

Amikron Devalia on
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I get server error 500 when I try to log in. :-|

Tremblay on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hm, I think I need a key.

Anyone got one? D:

Shanadeus on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got in at 8:18pm EST last night. Went thru all the female hair and face styles as well as accessories and hair colors. Found a combination that was acceptable. Logged in, killed 1 zombie in the tutorial, and then the server crashed.

Oh well.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I got in at 8:18pm EST last night. Went thru all the female hair and face styles as well as accessories and hair colors. Found a combination that was acceptable. Logged in, killed 1 zombie in the tutorial, and then the server crashed.

Oh well.

You got to kill an ENTIRE zombie? I'm jealous!

I haven't gotten through to the tutorial / start yet. Just character creation so far.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have everything downloaded, I just cant seem to get to the patching screen.

Edit: finally got in. Into a waiting line that is. Does anyone here have a character online? My characters name is Borda.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You must be one of the lucky ones. I just get a small popup window that says "Could not connect to authentication server". :(

Tremblay on
    edited June 2011
    Server maintenance. If anyone has a character, post its name, class, and level and I'll put it on the first post.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited June 2011
    This game is pretty awesome after trying it again.

If anyone thought this game was bad when you played it in previous beta, give it another shot.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Re-created my Engineer after finally being able to log in.

I don't recall the original game being this clunky to play.

And wow, did they change the NPC dialog.

I'm wondering if the original version still works as an offline solo game.

Lawndart on
    edited June 2011
    You could probably use the player made patch on the Hellgate Revival forums to fix the SP game to be more playable, Lawndart. It corrects a number of issues.

Made a Blademaster. Some of the new er, content they've added of their own is really, really WEIRD. I apparently had a class-specific mission to go to the future for (Tony) Stark and kill a gigantic spider-demon-thing. While wearing odd slutty modified templar armor and a 2-hander.

It's good to see Hellgate back... but it's so peculiar what they've done with it...

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was playing the original with the 1.2 patch last night during their fiddling phases. It's a lot more fun than I remember it being.

Finally got in to play for a bit about an hour ago and had some fun, though the initial tutorial and "town" changes were really not needed at all. They sure have gone to a lot of effort to mess with shit that works.

I am also still confused by limiting hair and face choices to the new ones, the old faces may not have been spectacular but there were a couple decent options.

edit: I also went forward in time and got what basically looked like Fallout BoS power armor for my engineer as well as a sort of chaingun. That was sort of fun till lag spikes hit during the boss fight there.

Amikron Devalia on
    edited June 2011
    Did anyone make a really short female character and notice that the piercings didn't line up... at all. My girl's earrings were in her hair as was her eyebrow ring. :lol:

The faces aren't bad, and a couple of the new hairstyles are really really nice. Overall, I am excited to get home and actually be able to play tonight.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still can't even get on, errors 500 and 503 be all up in my face. I'm glad to see some people can get on.

Resorath on
    makibanner.png
    edited June 2011
    Character name is Jahi, btw.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Partied up with Roe's character for a bit and had fun blowing shit up. Some of the quests seem a bit glitchy, though.

The "messenger from hell" loot pinata countdown seems new from the last time, too.

Lawndart on
    edited June 2011
    Did anyone make a really short female character and notice that the piercings didn't line up... at all. My girl's earrings were in her hair as was her eyebrow ring. :lol:

The faces aren't bad, and a couple of the new hairstyles are really really nice. Overall, I am excited to get home and actually be able to play tonight.

While some aren't bad, I don't get cutting out all the old ones, seems silly to limit content.

As for the piercings, hair piercings are totally all the rage now.

Amikron Devalia on
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I guess they added in a roadblock in the beta so we can't progress past a certain point. I'm at Charring Cross Station and Lord Arphaun isn't there, so now I can't complete the Redemption quest and I'm completely locked out of the continuing portals. I can't say I'm surprised but I'm a little pissed because I wanted to check out Dark (Zombie) Form on my Summoner.

EDIT: Nvm that phase of the station I was in was busted. Don't mind me.

WillisIVIIX on
    edited June 2011
    Messenger is definately new to this version.

EDIT: And now level 8.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2011
    Soooo...thoughts for playing for an hour-ish.

They seem to have reduced xp gains at least from the previous release. It doesn't seem too bad now, but I imagine at higher levels the grind will be crazy without purchasing "perks". I notice the premium store button right there on the screen but it doesn't seem to do anything atm.

As far as gameplay goes, it is Hellgate London; that is for sure. Minor quality of life changes like the character screen is much improved. I only tried Engineer (I thought I picked marksman but apparently not? Engineer seems fun regardless), but the cleaning up of the trees seems nice. It seems more difficult than before, but I'll be honest that most of the HGL I played was solo, and I didn't really play it online; mainly because by the time my machine could run the damn thing the online was already gone. Maybe the engineer just starts out weaker. I found an orange rifle from one of the hellspawn which is trivializing everything so far now though.

Which, again, played mainly solo before; but I think the whole "kill x enemies and summon a rare mob" is new; and it's awesome. Gives you something to look forward to, a nice challenging enemy and a chance at good loot all the time. And since enemies respawn in areas fast, you can theoretically hang out and keep spawning lords to get better gear, if you like.

Aside from some odd changes to the tutorial areas, seems like the core game is basically the same; at least at low levels.

Most everything else I don't really see the need to cover because it is just Hellgate London. Whether that is good or bad, to you, is up to you. I found it fun and honestly, at the price of zero dollars for the basic game, I'll probably play it when it goes live, actually; though the queue thing sucks.

The only thing that bugs me, which is probably related to them dropping the dx10 version of the game, the in-game textures are completely hit or miss. For instance, in the stations, subways, hell areas, the textures and effects are how they are in the initial release. However, in the outdoor city areas, for whatever reason, the game is using really low quality textures on everything, and since the other areas are "correct", I cannot figure out why they decided to do that. Plus, it seems like they removed all the cool little flavor things from the skies in areas, like the large demon ships etc flying around. Not a big deal, but just takes away from the atmosphere.

Also, I really am sad about losing dx10. It made the game look a lot better; and had I not been playing recently, in my solo game, I probably wouldn't really have noticed...but it is pretty noticeable.

Anyway, aside from the Queue I didn't have any issue getting on today so hopefully they have whatever the problem last night was, worked out.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Soooo...thoughts for playing for an hour-ish.

This was pretty much my experience. It doesn't seem very mmo-ish though, might as well made a diablo-style chat lobby and gone from there. I probably won't play this very much, since I didn't like the original.

Resorath on
    makibanner.png
    edited June 2011
    I don't think it was ever classified as an MMO; and if it was it shouldn't have been.

I think the only reason the thread is in the MMO forum is that it is just as much of an "MMO" as Guild Wars; which is to say...not; but otherwise yeah.

Don't expect a MMO.

It seems like most people already have their opinions on the game set from when it was released the first time; and whatever. If you don't like it you don't like it. If you do, you do; just now its free with some "premium" services that you typically see in a F2P mmo.

The Dude With Herpes on

• MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Originally it was like Guild Wars. Each station had a lot of people and was divided into channels, but moving into combat areas was instanced for the party. I played the first one almost completely solo, so this didn't bother me.

Morvidus on
    edited June 2011
    I suspect some of the problems in stations right now exist due to their not distributing the instances properly. Having so many people crammed into one place doesn't seem to play well with the engine.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Crud...

Only supporting DX9 killed it for me. I played the original at max settings and it could have passed for an early 360 game. Now, it looks like I'm playing N64 again!

Morvidus on
    edited June 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Crud...

Only supporting DX9 killed it for me. I played the original at max settings and it could have passed for an early 360 game. Now, it looks like I'm playing N64 again!

Maxing the settings in DX9 should look at least PS2 era quality. Try doing that?

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2011
    PEWPEWPEW!!

I had some fun last night. I ran the first mission and ended up fighting 3 of those boss spawn guys. While it's cool to get loot that way, when they pop up all of a sudden... yeah as a MM that kinda sucks because I have 0 time or space to get ready.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PEWPEWPEW!!

I had some fun last night. I ran the first mission and ended up fighting 3 of those boss spawn guys. While it's cool to get loot that way, when they pop up all of a sudden... yeah as a MM that kinda sucks because I have 0 time or space to get ready.

I went MM as well. It was pretty fun, but definitely seems like a class they expect you to have a meat shield with. I was kinda disappointed with all the skills, though... they mainly seemed like an afterthought. Having to go turret mode to utilize many of the shooting abilities was annoying, but again, probably better with more players. Was enjoying what I saw of grenades, might take that route.

I also tried out a guardian. They are very much a tank class. I might take that route when the game officially opens.

Anyone have any idea of what the end game was like? I assume it's designed entirely to be soloable. I'm really hoping there's some content that's intended for multiple players to tackle, some bosses with mechanics that would slaughter a solo player.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's kinda neat. Although I keep accidentally disassemballing my gear instead of putting it on. Still low level, so it doesn't matter.

Fencingsax on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Click options on the launcher. Game crashes. Click start. Encryption error. Game crashes. Repatch. Click start. Encryption error. Game crashes. Reinstall. Click start. Encryption error. Game crashes.

Uninstall.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got up to level 7 (female evoker: Minger) and was in the middle of a big fight and the server crashed. I hope she is ok when I get back from work.

Shifty_Calhoun on
    edited June 2011
    Hooked up with Vyngaard and made it almost to level 12.

Some good times when you have a party in Nightmare mode. Looking forward to hell and hardcore mode.

Edit: Video added on OP.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Hardcore mode is like a survival horror game.

Particularly if you play Marksmen.

Doom: The MMORPG.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited June 2011
    Servers are down now, seems to be the end of the current CBT. Not sure if they're having more or when.

Was good to get to play it online with others again though!

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png