As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"Premium messaging" baloney

HevachHevach Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so my wife doesn't pay enough attention to her phone bill. She was complaining that the charges were creeping up, and I noticed in February that more and more Preimum Messaging charges had showed up every month for several months. Neither of our phones can receive these (we blocked all text messages from the internet entirely after one put unauthorized charges on the bill last year, and the Disable Premium Messaging option has been checked since the day we got the phones).

That was three bills ago now... I went to Verizon then, and they explained how to stop them individually, and gave me an itemized list of them all. They could remove the charges from the current bill, but not refund past ones. Tried to stop them... the next month, still charged on the bill. Back to Verizon, same song and dance, and now the new bill... charges are still there, plus a new one.

I tried something a bit different, I removed the block on internet text messages and tried stopping them again. They all respond "Service unavailable," (this message comes from their number, not the Verizon system like it does if I put in an invalid number, but it's the same text). Sure enough, 3-4 times a day, they're still sending shit. So, block is back on.

I've got a list here going back several months itemizing every one of these charges - total of $380, plus $90 that Verizon already refunded. I've looked them up on the internet, and found their websites. So, what's my next step? Is it possible to dispute these charges with the company sending the shit, or do I need to look somewhere else?

Hevach on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How attached are you (or your wife I guess), to that number?

It's like trying to fight a spammer - won't do any good. Since Verizon is unwilling/unable to help you, I'd just drop the number and get a new one.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    harry.timbershaftharry.timbershaft Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    How attached are you (or your wife I guess), to that number?

It's like trying to fight a spammer - won't do any good. Since Verizon is unwilling/unable to help you, I'd just drop the number and get a new one.

Also (especially if you're using an Android-based device), look into using Google Voice.

harry.timbershaft on