As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    Helloween is doing an LP of this game right now, whilst waiting for Alice to come out.

Where? I haven't seen anything.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Not here? I didn't see a thread for it.

I'll make the thread later tonight

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oooh, just starting it then. Nice. You plan on doing it via screenshot or video?

Personally I think screenshots work better for a game like there so you can add in your character's introspection.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    Which ending did you get? Camarilla is likely most canon for Tremere, since
    Strauss takes over. Yay for House & Clan domination!

Which isn't so bad, since really,
    Strauss is a pretty nice guy. He doesn't like Anarchs, but that's a political thing.

He's polite, but he's probably not a very nice man.

Tube on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which ending did you get? Camarilla is likely most canon for Tremere, since
    Strauss takes over. Yay for House & Clan domination!

Which isn't so bad, since really,
    Strauss is a pretty nice guy. He doesn't like Anarchs, but that's a political thing.

He's polite, but he's probably not a very nice man.
    Besides the Thin Bloods and Beckett though I don't think any of the NPCs in the game classify as nice. Lets remember, they do eat people.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Beckett isn't a very nice man either. Wong Ho is a pretty stand up guy though.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Yeah I forgot about him. I guess the Schoolgirl demon hunter counts too. The one Nos hacker seems alright as well.

Neaden on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

He was sarcastic, but he seemed like a nice chap. Kinda like a vampire indy.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Besides that, Beckett's one of the two people you can trust 100% in that game.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heir wrote: »
    Oooh, just starting it then. Nice. You plan on doing it via screenshot or video?

Personally I think screenshots work better for a game like there so you can add in your character's introspection.

Videos im afraid. However, isnt there an already great screen shot run through on here?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yep; in the OP no less.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yep; in the OP no less.

Arr. Also, my threads up if anyone was interested

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, but you can't take the OP seriously, because everyone wants to have sex with you there.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, but you can't take the OP seriously, because everyone wants to have sex with you there.

Not Pisha!

Neaden on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't recall Pisha ever saying she wouldn't have sex with you, though. So the doors open before/during the chow down.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if I should put a couple Nossies in the OP. They love seducing people.

Then they drop the mask.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Besides that, Beckett's one of the two people you can trust 100% in that game.

You can 100% trust him to be honest and not give a shit about political maneuvering, but that doesn't necessarily translate to him being your friend. I still think that given a reason he'd kill the PC in a heartbeat.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    To be fair to Beckett, he makes a fair attempt at saving your life from what's in the box. But otherwise no, he's pretty ambivalent about things that aren't his research. You can trust him, sure, but there are no vampires in this game that qualify as awesome stand up guys.

Tube on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Taking a few minutes to find you and tell you not to open it wasn't exactly a risky endeavor. I see Beckett as a very neutral character whose integrity is important to him. He's somewhat polite and doesn't mind talking to a rank neonate but any time the PC is in real danger (sabbat warehouse, Society of Leopold fortress) he basically says "Be careful, don't die, ta-ta!" and leaves.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    To be fair to Beckett, he makes a fair attempt at saving your life from what's in the box. But otherwise no, he's pretty ambivalent about things that aren't his research. You can trust him, sure, but there are no vampires in this game that qualify as awesome stand up guys.

Well he's a Gangrel. Those guys are loners by nature, and Beckett fits that description almost perfectly... He's obviously not a people person, since he gives the same sarcasm act to LaCroix, but he seems to lighten up to you a bit.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Considering most of the people you deal with in this game are vampires, whose very existence is politics and infighting, meeting stand-up good people is extremely difficult. What Beckett has over most of the others is that he doesn't outright manipulate you, unlike every other boss. Some come off better than others (I think Gary Mitnick seem okay) but most just want to use you to empower themselves.

never die on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I just downloaded this from steam and I'm having technical issues.

I get an error on startup, after the screen goes black but before any sort of animation. Vampire.exe fails.

This is my first attempt at getting anything from Steam to run. It might also be a hardware issue, since I think I'm being a little ambitious trying to get this to run on my laptop.

Any of you VtM vets got any tricks I should try?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    First question: what version are you trying to play? If it's just fresh from steam that's 1.2 and you could see if the fan patch helps.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    First question: what version are you trying to play? If it's just fresh from steam that's 1.2 and you could see if the fan patch helps.
    It's the one from steam.

Now when I try to start it straight from the exe instead of from the steam menu I get a "can't find steam" error.

I'll see about the fan patch.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can run this pretty decently on my laptop with low settings, and it's almost 5 years old. If yours is any more recent, I feel like it should be able to handle it pretty well.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What kind of CPU/graphics card do you have on that laptop? Bloodlines runs on a pre-release version of the original Source engine. It may not be as well optimized as Half-life 2 but that thing can run on almost anything. Even recent integrated graphics solutions should be able to run it unless there are compatibility issues because the game is so old.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    It's the one from steam.

Now when I try to start it straight from the exe instead of from the steam menu I get a "can't find steam" error.

I'll see about the fan patch.

That's like having your arm chopped off and being like "yo what do I do" and people say "get medical help" and you say "I'll see about medical help." Don't see about it! Just get it!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »
    What kind of CPU/graphics card do you have on that laptop? Bloodlines runs on a pre-release version of the original Source engine. It may not be as well optimized as Half-life 2 but that thing can run on almost anything. Even recent integrated graphics solutions should be able to run it unless there are compatibility issues because the game is so old.
    It's an Asus Eee netbook. So 1.6 Gb Intel Atom for a processor. It'll run Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 and AoE 3 just fine, though there is a bit of slowdown with Half-Life 2 with the flashlight. With some minor crashing issues in HL2.

Which is why I thought I could maybe pull it off. But now I'm patched and I'm still getting what seems to be a startup error.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    I lost a good three hours of my life to the owod wiki last night. Now I know all about Wraiths and Specters.

That's one hell of a setting they got there.

The best White Wolf ever came up with.

Good luck ever actually running it, though. Wraith was designed to reduce players to psychological mush, not provide adventures.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Yeah, anybody who was a genuine stand-up guy in the Vampire setting(s) as written would inevitably have to choose to stay up late and watch the sun rise one last time.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's an Asus Eee netbook. So 1.6 Gb Intel Atom for a processor. It'll run Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 and AoE 3 just fine, though there is a bit of slowdown with Half-Life 2 with the flashlight. With some minor crashing issues in HL2.

Which is why I thought I could maybe pull it off. But now I'm patched and I'm still getting what seems to be a startup error.
    What OS? I've been having issues with Win7 x64, without the fan patch it wouldn't run at all, but even after I get a lot of CTDs, more so than I did with 32bit XP or Vista anyway.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    edited June 2011

What OS? I've been having issues with Win7 x64, without the fan patch it wouldn't run at all, but even after I get a lot of CTDs, more so than I did with 32bit XP or Vista anyway.
    XP. But it looks like a bust anyway. After doing some reading online, it sounds like my videocard just isn't quite bad enough of a dude to run this.

But at least it'll still be on steam when I get around to upgrading.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have this on Steam and never finished it long time ago, my interest kinda petered out and it had some issues I didn't like. I'm reinstalling now but:

a) Steam
    b) 64bit Windows7

I have grabbed the two relevant patches from the OP - one for people who have issues running the game on 64bit OS, and the most recent fan patch.

I have not tested the game to see how it runs on my system yet.

Do I install both of these? Just one? In what order?

tx

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Try it with just the fan patch. If that doesn't work, apply the 64 bit fix.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yup, works. Thanks!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was just told there's a branch of the Salubri that exist purely to destroy Tremere. Scary stuff.
    (Salubri = near-extinct bloodline of healer-Vampires that the Tremere drove to extinction after painting them as infernalists and soul-stealers.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was just told

Who gets this sort of phone call? :P

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I was just told

Who gets this sort of phone call? :P

Someone who frequently hangs out at gaming shops with V:TM players. :P

I also do storytelling, so yeah.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That's not what I pictured.
    Iwakura set his glass down on the coffee table. He stared at the phone as it continued to ring in the dim room. It had been ringing for forty minutes. The ice clinked as it melted, resettling. He picked up the phone and lifted it to his ear, saying nothing.

"There's a branch of the Salubri that exist purely to destroy Tremere."

He listened to the dial tone for a long time. It was midnight.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Iwakura slowly set down his drink. As hard as he'd tried to get away, it seemed his passions were not to be denied.

"Can I ever be free? Is there no surcease from my miserable condition?"

Reluctantly, inexorably, CJ's hand strayed downwards.

"A branch of the Salubri."

*ziiip*

"Waging war on their mortal enemies the Tremere."

Flplflpflp

"OH GOD, THE ETERNAL JYHAD!"

WhiteZinfandel on
This discussion has been closed.