As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Aussie PAX'ers!!

tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
Hey guys this is my first PAX and I thought if there were any other Aussies on this forum going to PAX Prime this year post here so we can trade tips, interests, stories etc. and maybe even share a drink or two when we get there!

And if anybody else is interested in a few jars of Vegemite let me know I'll bring some over for you :P

Meanwhile-in-Australia-2.jpg

tokyodove on

• jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    'sup!

I am from Aus, but for the past couple of years I have been living a couple blocks from the convention centre in Seattle. There are definitely a few of us, last year in the line for the Keynote I randomly met another one. I could definitely do a session of drinks at some point: how long are you planning to be in Seattle?

jacalata on

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
  • tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm staying for a couple of days after the convention, thought I might do some sightseeing while im around

tokyodove on
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    which hotels will you be staying at? i'm staying at the holiday inn: an 18 min walk to the convention center :p

i'll be there till the 1st of september where i amtrak my way down to Portland as part of my journey of the US.

thegh0sts on
    Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
    edited May 2011
    tokyodove on
    edited May 2011
    tokyodove wrote: »

YES! that's the one. though funnily enough my travel agent booked a 2 queen bed room.

anyways, i am in on the 24th so i can spend the 25th just roaming Seattle and get some extra clothing before PAX starts. i probably won't even bring any toiletries with me and just find a shop and buy it there...then i can just chuck it away when i am done: it's all about weight.

EDIT: but yeah, i PM'd my email address so we can "organise" something during the convention days and probably a day of sight seeing after PAX.

thegh0sts on
  • Reverend SnideReverend Snide Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd be up for an Aussie meet as well :)

I get into SEA on the Monday (22/8)- at this stage I'm staying there until Monday 29/8, and then hitting Las Vegas from there.

Reverend Snide on
    Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
    edited May 2011
    which hotel are you staying at? Me at tokyodove are at the same hotel so i'll meet up with him there.

If not then we can meet at the expo.

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    any other Aussies going to PAX this year?

thegh0sts on
  • nemokittynemokitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Myself and two other will be jetting over from Brisbane for 24th to 29th - can't wait!

nemokitty on
    edited June 2011
    nemokitty wrote: »
    Myself and two other will be jetting over from Brisbane for 24th to 29th - can't wait!

me and tokyodove are going to be meeting up for PAX and we would love other Aussies to join in and hang out and probably even do some sightseeing!

PM me if you're up for it!

thegh0sts on
  • CataclysmAUCataclysmAU Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Yay! Sounds like a fair few of us Aussies will be going :D I can surround myself with Aussies so I don't feel so out of place :P But yeah I'll be there too, very much looking forward to it!!! >_< Cya all there!

CataclysmAU on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would <3 you forever if you bring me a big jar of Vegemite. My husband and I are going through withdrawals and it's crazy expensive in the states.

In exchange I can take you to such hilarious places as Outback Steakhouse (every Aussie needs to go and laugh at least once) or the Kangaroo & Kiwi (a genuine Aussie bar that sponsors the local AFL club).

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited June 2011
    deal! i wouldnt mind playing a bit of footy over there, teach those yanks how its done

tokyodove on
    edited June 2011
    we should organise somewhere in the expo to do a quick meet & greet before we all get our brains short out from all the nerdy and geeky stuff at PAX!

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    I had the pleasure of teaching the AFL team (The Seattle Grizzlies) how to curl. Fantastic group of guys, and the K&K provided a keg for the event.

Looks like they'll be playing Portland on August 27th if anyone wants to catch the game. www.seattlefooty.com

Liger on
  • Otto the MadOtto the Mad Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Actually, the game on the 27th is in Chehalis. We play in Seattle on August 13th though, and June 25th they'll be down here along with Golden Gate for a tournament. K&K is great though, last time up there we got free sausage rolls!

Otto the Mad on
    edited June 2011
    any aussies interested in having a lunch or a dinner as a meet & greet?

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    I'd be up for that. My husband may be as well.

Liger on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, Liger suggested it but I'll go ahead and announce it officially.

So most of you guys don't know this but for the past few years I've thrown a little irony drenched gathering at the Outback Steakhouse for our incoming Aussie Enforcers every year. Unfortunately, none of them can make it this year. So instead of abandoning the idea all together, I'm opening it up to you guys! If you're looking to have an Aussie gathering this year for PAX, I can assure you there is no better loltastic place than The Outback Steakhouse. It is an experience that I assure you, you won't ever forget. Take a gander at how much fun these guys had.

And seriously folks, look at what we did to their supply of Fosters Oil cans last year!

AussieOilCans.jpg

That's alot of terrible beer. And And I openly invite all of our awesome Australian PAXers to be part of the tradition of suffering through every last one of them! :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited June 2011
    On an experienced-based note: Quick, remember last year how they didn't have enough Foster's in the fridge?

This year let's make a special note on the reservation that we plan to have at least one round of Foster's, and to please have it chilled and ready.

I'm never chugging a warm oil can in 5 minutes again.

Liger on
    edited June 2011
    I was under the impression that we cleaned them out of oil cans entirely and all that they had left was on tap. Still, it's very much noted! I shall inform them in advance of our body count, once I actually have it. :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited June 2011
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    I was under the impression that we cleaned them out of oil cans entirely and all that they had left was on tap. Still, it's very much noted! I shall inform them in advance of our body count, once I actually have it. :D

We did! But half of what they had in stock was not in the fridge. It was shelved, because they rarely go thru a fridge-full in one table.

Liger on
    edited June 2011
    Liger wrote: »

We did! But half of what they had in stock was not in the fridge. It was shelved, because they rarely go thru a fridge-full in one table.

probably cos no one likes Fosters now that they've caught on!

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    thegh0sts wrote: »
    Liger wrote: »

probably cos no one likes Fosters now that they've caught on!

Well, there are far better places to get Steak and Beer in Seattle but that's entirely beside the point of even going to this. ;D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited June 2011
    but yes, are there any recommendations for a place and time to do a meet and greet? as said i'll be in seattle on the 24th.

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    Well, Quick just recommended Outback. It is pretty fun and they do have better beer.

When does everyone get through Customs? We can organize it to happen sometime shortly before PAX if everyone has the available time.

Liger on
    edited June 2011
    i'll have the thursday before PAX to chill and wander downtown.

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    I'm getting into SEA on the Monday before PAX- time to get over jet lag and possibly join the MMT.

So any time during PAX Week is good for me :)

Reverend Snide on
    Have miles, will travel | Twitter | XBL: Reverend Snide | Wii U/PSN: ReverendSnide
    edited June 2011
    I'm getting into SEA on the Monday before PAX- time to get over jet lag and possibly join the MMT.

So any time during PAX Week is good for me :)

still waiting to get your hotel sorted?

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    im getting in at 4pm on the 25th, so i wont have much time to relax, ill prob just sleep off the jetlag until the next day- can we do it after pax instead?

tokyodove on
    edited June 2011
    So options are that Thursday (the 25th) or the following Monday (the 29th). I can make a reservation for whenever but i want to make sure that we have a date that works for everyone.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited June 2011
    lunch or dinner? is it a good idea to meet somewhere at the expo?

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    i think we should do a meet & greet before the show (maybe 25th): something small and then a goodbye/safe travels meal or something after the show?

just a thought.

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    tokyodove wrote: »
    im getting in at 4pm on the 25th, so i wont have much time to relax, ill prob just sleep off the jetlag until the next day- can we do it after pax instead?
    You know what helps jetlag better than anything in my experience? A belly fully of mediocre steak and cheap Australian beer. Oh, and great company. I know you'll be tired, but you really should try and come out (if we do end up going with the 25th, more on that in a minute). :D

i think we should do a meet & greet before the show (maybe 25th): something small and then a goodbye/safe travels meal or something after the show?

just a thought.

Yes, my apologies for letting this go, I've had a busy last few days. So as a far as pre-dinner/show meet & greet, I totally don't have a problem with that. We could do it post MMT at the convention center or even make the MMT the meet & greet, we've got tons of options and I'm totally open to suggestions. As far as the dinner itself goes, "dinner" isn't really the right word, it could be a lunch if that ends up working better for folks.

At this point I guess I'd love to know what works best for everyone. Does anyone have any specific preferences? Is there any interest in this at all? Whatever you guys have to say, say it; I am totally open.

Because, without you awesome Aussies, there's no point. :D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited June 2011
    I am not sure about making the MMT as the M&G unless the tour resumes at the place it starts on day 1. We'll make the convention centre as the meeting place (since most of us will be at different hotels) and we can do our own informal tour if we wanted too :) not to take away from the MMT though.

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    Any Aussies tried Exotic Meats USA?

thegh0sts on
    edited June 2011
    I am not sure about making the MMT as the M&G unless the tour resumes at the place it starts on day 1.

The MMT normally has its schedule finalised a bit before PAX- we'll have a pretty good idea of where they are at any given time (give or take a few minutes.) :)

Thursday works well for me (lunch or dinner, either way).

Late edit: if I recall correctly the MMT generally doesn't go much past lunchtime on Thursday- that gives people time to visit Will Call and get their badges, or get ready for the dinner/Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament/meeting the PAX Train/etc.

Reverend Snide on
    edited June 2011
    just a heads up, i know most of this has cleared but in the worst case scenario it might pay to keep it in the back of your mind:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/ash-back-to-wreak-chaos-on-airline-travellers/story-e6frg95x-1226079842206

tokyodove on
    edited June 2011
    Should be no problem by the time PAX rolls around, but that's not to say other issues won't crop up.

If you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel.

Reverend Snide on
  • nemokittynemokitty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, my vegemite munching cotravellers and I will be zooming in to Seattle on the 24th and out again on the 29th. We'll be staying at a hotel opposite the convention centre and would love to join in on the preplans on the 25th.... Assuming you're not going to make us drink fosters *glares*

nemokitty on