As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Metroidvania style games?

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently played through Symphony of the Night for the umpteenth time, but my thirst for games in the vein of Super Metroid and the later 2d Castlevanias has not been quenched.

I've played Super Metroid, the game boy metroids, Symphony of the Night and most but not all of the game boy castlevanias (My last one was order of eclessia, which was just okay). Are there any other notable games that have this delicious blend of platforming, tricky bosses and areas you can explore all over?

I've got a 360, Wii, DS and more than capable computer, as well as a few older consoles (PS2, Dreamcast, N64) so I've got most of the bases covered. Can anyone recommend other games in this vein?

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shadow Complex was fun

glithert on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aquaria, which was featured in a prior Humble Indie Bundle, is basically Loom + The Little Mermaid (trust me, this is a plus) + Metroidvania. It is a fantastic game with great narration and excellent art direction... basically, it's Metroidvania "Under The Sea". No platforming (side-scrolling 2D), but clever bosses, unlockable abilities and items which allow you to explore further into the huge underwater world. It's probably the most polished PC indie Metroidvania game.

I can also recommend Cave Story, if you haven't played it yet. It's PC freeware, so I'm sure you can find it out there.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Aquaria, which was featured in a prior Humble Indie Bundle, is basically Loom + The Little Mermaid (trust me, this is a plus) + Metroidvania. It is a fantastic game with great narration and excellent art direction... basically, it's Metroidvania "Under The Sea". No platforming (side-scrolling 2D), but clever bosses, unlockable abilities and items which allow you to explore further into the huge underwater world. It's probably the most polished PC indie Metroidvania game.

Thank you! I've had this sitting around for ages in my backlog, and I'd completely forgotten about it. Now I'll definitely have to fire it up.

I've played Cave Story to death and back. The only thing left is more hell speedruns, but maybe I'll run through it again anyway.

Shadow Complex looks good, I'll definitely check that out. There's some other game I've always heard in conjunction with Cave Story, but I can't remember the name right now... I think it was another two word title, and the game had to do with jungles or something. Is that ringing any bells?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shadow Complex is pretty great and isn't shy about aping Super Metroid. Outland (Xbox Live) is gorgeous with an interesting Ikaruga-like mechanic. Terraria sorta-kinda-maybe fits the bill, cheap purchase on Steam and currently has a very active community in G&T.

Nova_C on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If you're not just looking for purely 2D games, Batman: Arkham Asylum is fantastic.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    If you're not just looking for purely 2D games, Batman: Arkham Asylum is fantastic.

I second this suggestion. So much fun.

tardcore on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Terraria is like Metroidvania and Minecraft had a baby.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, finishing Terraria a few days ago is what prompted me to play SotN again. I probably should have mentioned that.

Arkham Asylum is another one of those games I picked up for a pittance on steam and has been sitting in my backlog. I took it for more of a straight up brawler. I didn't realize it had exploration elements. That just moved up to the top of my list behind Aquaria.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Thank you! I've had this sitting around for ages in my backlog, and I'd completely forgotten about it. Now I'll definitely have to fire it up.

I've played Cave Story to death and back. The only thing left is more hell speedruns, but maybe I'll run through it again anyway.

Shadow Complex looks good, I'll definitely check that out. There's some other game I've always heard in conjunction with Cave Story, but I can't remember the name right now... I think it was another two word title, and the game had to do with jungles or something. Is that ringing any bells?

I think Eternal Daughter had a jungle as it's first zone. That game was, honestly, way too hard for me, though a lot of it had to do with constant glitches on my PC.

I keep meaning to pick it up on XBLA, but from the demo Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light seemed like a isometric metroid game, although I think it may have been a bit more linear.

Delzhand on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Riale wrote: »
    Yeah, finishing Terraria a few days ago is what prompted me to play SotN again. I probably should have mentioned that.

Arkham Asylum is another one of those games I picked up for a pittance on steam and has been sitting in my backlog. I took it for more of a straight up brawler. I didn't realize it had exploration elements. That just moved up to the top of my list behind Aquaria.

Arkham Asylum is fantastic. Yeah, the combat is basically about brawling, but there is a lot of exploring, finding walls to blow up for items, etc. It definitely fits the bill for a 3D Metroidvania. You won't regret moving it to the top of your list. The only real weak spot is the "boss" fights, I guess. A bit uninspired.
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I keep meaning to pick it up on XBLA, but from the demo Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light seemed like a isometric metroid game, although I think it may have been a bit more linear.

I wouldn't call Lara Croft a Metroidvania. I mean, you can revisit any level with all your new weapons and relics, but you choose them from a level select screen. Still an excellent game, though. Especially in co-op.

Re: other games mentioned in this thread: Shadow Complex is excellent and worth playing. I have Aquaria and sadly haven't touched it yet, but I hear nothing but good things.

SteevL on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Monster's Tale on the DS is pretty good.

Xagarath on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    La Mulana is supposed to have a Wii release sometime in the hopefully near future. It's very Metroid-esque but set in a Raiders of the Lost Ark setting.

Within a Deep Forest is pretty good and it's freeware.

If you can track down a PSOne and Tomba, you'll get probably one of the best games in the genre.

and there's always Maple Story.

Here's a good list.

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/Metroidvania

Sheep on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember a year back or so there were people in G&T talking about how great the freeware game Gungirl 2 is. I haven't gotten around to trying it though.

SteevL on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Some other games that I have:
    Chelsea and the 7 Devils
    Iji
    Knytt
    Saira
    Within a Deep Forest (Last three are Nifflas games, which are all pretty awesome)
    Soldexus
    The Power

L Ron Howard on
    edited May 2011
    I don't know if I'll be able to get past the awful art on that homepage. Yugh.

Delzhand on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ARES: The Extinction Agenda. Except it's not as much Metroidvania as Megaroid.

Gaslight on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lyle in Cube Sector for Windows. Metroidvania + item throwing from Super Mario Bros 2. It's slightly rough around the edges and screenshots don't do it much justice, but it's free and has an excellent selection of music.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gungirl 2 is a fun enough game, and you'd get to play it without ever having to go through that one part near the end. That one part that made like half the people who ever played the game just quit. It was removed.

So, yeah, it's worth playing now.

Bunny Must Die is a decent free option as well. It's got a few neat gameplay things, mostly time stuff you can do, and a few of the bosses are fun. It was all in Japanese last I played it, but you can figure everything out easily enough. Seems the official site is down, but here's a direct download link.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited May 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    La Mulana is supposed to have a Wii release sometime in the hopefully near future. It's very Metroid-esque but set in a Raiders of the Lost Ark setting.

Within a Deep Forest is pretty good and it's freeware.

If you can track down a PSOne and Tomba, you'll get probably one of the best games in the genre.

and there's always Maple Story.

Here's a good list.

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/Metroidvania
    Yes! La Mulana, that was the game I always see mentioned in the same breath as Cave Story. I'll have to check that out.

That list is amazing. Sooo many retro titles I can look for now. I've heard good things about Tomba, but short of getting really lucky at a garage sale or home owned store I don't think I'll ever lay my hands on it. Maple Story consumed days of my life in the past and even a few bucks from my wallet. It's too bad it's more about the grinding and less about the platforming+exploring. Although, it does look like there have been some updates since I last played.... Gotta resist the urge to squish slimes.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I haven't seen anyone mention Outland yet, which just came out on XBLA. It scratches the Metroidvania itch pretty well, and is generally fantastic.

Also, they could update Maple Story until the end of the universe, and it still wouldn't be a game anyone should start playing (yes, I used to play too).

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
    edited June 2011
    I thought about mentioning Outland, but the exploration in that game never really pays off. 19 times out of 20 it's just coins or bafmodads.

It's not a bad game by any means, and the boss fights are some of the best I've ever seen, but ultimately it's pretty linear with minor branches here and there.

Delzhand on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Shadow Complex is pretty great and isn't shy about aping Super Metroid. Outland (Xbox Live) is gorgeous with an interesting Ikaruga-like mechanic. Terraria sorta-kinda-maybe fits the bill, cheap purchase on Steam and currently has a very active community in G&T.

Reading ftw. :P

Nova_C on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I've been playing Outland so far, but the progression is really linear to a fault, and the map doesn't need to be really explored (all fully visible before exploring just by pressing the map button) so it doesn't really scratch that itch. However, it is a great platformer.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
  • DarksierDarksier Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Have you tried Herocore? It's a fun retro styled freeware game by the guy that made Iji. Put the trailer for it below.

Darksier on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A Untitled Story is another freeware Metroidvania that might be worth a look.

jothki on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Hero Core is good stuff. :^:

Echo on
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was coming to post Soldexus, but I (happily) see someone beat me to it. Really hard, but great game. And it's free!

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png