As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• vexxed13vexxed13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, basically, I just had a bunch of questions about some Superheroes and I didn't know where else to ask them. I've never been a hardcore comic guy, but I've gotten into the Marvel and DC stuff recently (JLU and Marvel Ultimate Alliance did their part).

I just want to know how they compare and I don't really have the comic book knowledge to really decide for myself yet.

Also, how does anyone defeat the Silver Surfer?

vexxed13 on
    sig20gr.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    vexxed13 wrote: »

Arm-lock.

Bogart on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    vexxed13 wrote: »

Make him feel guilty.

Honestly though, if the tournament taught us anything it's that, given the bias of the writer, anyone can beat anyone else at any time....

Therefore, most questions of "could ____ beat _____" can all be answered "yes and no."

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought the correct answer was "Does ____ have time to prepare?".

Nartwak on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nartwak wrote: »

That only works for batman.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When a green lantern (for the purposes of the question, Hal Jordan) is sleeping, can you just shoot him in the face? Does a protective shield always have to be consciously made? Is he stronger than normal without having to make something big and green? He can fly with the ring, right? And he doesn't need oxygen in space? I've been trying to explain to my homeboys that the lantern corps are nothing to fuck with, but they always bring up the sleeping shot in the head...

Tylerbroor on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You can kill most superheroes if you get them in their sleep. But that never happens, so who cares?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Villains don't want to just kill the heroes, they want to humiliate them

They all have complexes, which is why they're villains

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2007
    Unless you aren't a very popular hero. Then it's just a bullet to the head and roll into a ditch for you.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Double-u tee eff. That's for Batman, and Batman only.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wizard dropped some interesting knowledge about the new DC Multiverse from Geoff Johns.

Of note is that Earth-2 is going to be Golden Age pulp action style stuff and Earth-3 is evil Earth-2. Anti-Matter Earth is still in-continuity and regularly "teams up" with Earth-3.

Earth 4 is all "film noir'd" up featuring the Charlton characters and Earth 5 is apparently Harry Potter inspired.

Furu on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Unless you aren't a very popular hero. Then it's just a bullet to the head and roll into a ditch for you.

More like lightning bolt to the torso and roll into a friggin canyon

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Unless you aren't a very popular hero. Then it's just a bullet to the head and roll into an incinerator for you.

:|

Munch on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Wizard dropped some interesting knowledge about the new DC Multiverse from Geoff Johns.

Of note is that Earth-2 is going to be Golden Age pulp action style stuff and Earth-3 is evil Earth-2. Anti-Matter Earth is still in-continuity and regularly "teams up" with Earth-3.

Earth 4 is all "film noir'd" up featuring the Charlton characters and Earth 5 is apparently Harry Potter inspired.
    i need books published about Earth 4 then, not want, need

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited June 2007
    So how many years until the next Crisis reduces each of these planets to ash, then?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So how many years until the next Crisis reduces each of these planets to ash, then?
    my money is on the end of Countdown

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
    edited June 2007
    edited June 2007
    I'm hoping that Countdown ends up sending a lot of characters that currently reside on New Earth back to their original Earths. The whole JSA should go back to Earth-2 (or is it Earth-1 now?). All the Charlton characters should head to Earth-4. The Marvel Family should go back to their Earth.

By this I mean, all future appearances on New Earth by these characters will cease. DC doesn't have to write off everything that happened, history can remain the same, but, in order to save the fabric of the Multiverse or some shit, everyone should be sent back to their original Earths. I like the idea of DC publishing books that cover the different Earths. I love the idea of the JSA going back to being the premier superteam on its own Earth.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Earth-2 has a JSA though.

Furu on
    edited June 2007
    Segregationist.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Segregationist.

Earth-2's are still considered to be 3/5 of a person, though, so at least we're making progress.

Langly on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I've harbored a disdain for DC for a while, thanks to all these Crises, because I can't keep track of shit anymore. But, I've always liked GL and Flash, regardless, because come on. One can make anything he wants with his ring, and the other kicks ass even though his only power is RUNNING FAST.

My question is: Without having read any DC in years, and I mean since Hal came back, how hard would it be to get into the current Flash/Lantern books, without any knowledge of 52 and One Year Later? Which Lantern book should I pick up, since I know there's a couple. Also, is there still a book about Kyle Rayner, now that he's Ion?

Me Too! on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Briareos wrote: »

Double-u tee eff. That's for Batman, and Batman only.

You forgot Black Panther, who, incidentally, did beat up the Silver Surfer last issue in FF. It turns out his Galactus Contingency Plan was pretty good.
    BP stole Surfers cosmic power using a modified version of an absorbing harness that Doom used to steal Surfer's powers before. He then gave the harness to Johnny, who went apeshit on Stardust, and proceeded to put the beatdown on an average power Surfer. To satiate Galactus' hunger, Gravity feeds him all of his power. The plan apparently didn't hinge on Gravity, but he helped when the rest of the plan couldn't possibly be executed exactly as planned.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wiggin wrote: »
    I've harbored a disdain for DC for a while, thanks to all these Crises, because I can't keep track of shit anymore. But, I've always liked GL and Flash, regardless, because come on. One can make anything he wants with his ring, and the other kicks ass even though his only power is RUNNING FAST.

My question is: Without having read any DC in years, and I mean since Hal came back, how hard would it be to get into the current Flash/Lantern books, without any knowledge of 52 and One Year Later? Which Lantern book should I pick up, since I know there's a couple. Also, is there still a book about Kyle Rayner, now that he's Ion?

The GL Corps is about to get beat down. Again.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007

Flash book: Bart Allen (the former Impulse/Kid Flash) is now the Flash, and Barry Allen is dead/part of the speed force. It's Bart Allen, so if you don't like him, you probably won't care for the book. Besides that warning, the book is okay. Hardly the apex of superhero storytelling today, but neither is it the worst of the lot. If you just want some red-union-suit-fast-runner action, it's perfect. The current arc will confuse the hell out of you. Heck, the whole first year is a bit confusing, because it's hard to figure out what happened to Bart when he dragged Superboy-Prime into the Speed Force during Infinite Crisis.

Green Lantern: Hal Jordan stars in the main book. I don't read it, and I don't know enough about it to tell you anything worthwhile.

Ion: Kyle Rayner is Ion, and he flies around the Universe tending to his own narcissistic needs. I bought the trade for the first 6 issues, and it was ho-hum. Maybe it's become better since then (current issue is 13, I think).

Green Lantern Corps: I bought the first issue of this one. It seemed okay, if you really, really love the Green Lantern mythos.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Flash book: Bart Allen (the former Impulse/Kid Flash) is now the Flash, and Barry Allen is dead/part of the speed force. It's Bart Allen, so if you don't like him, you probably won't care for the book. Besides that warning, the book is okay. Hardly the apex of superhero storytelling today, but neither is it the worst of the lot. If you just want some red-union-suit-fast-runner action, it's perfect. The current arc will confuse the hell out of you. Heck, the whole first year is a bit confusing, because it's hard to figure out what happened to Bart when he dragged Superboy-Prime into the Speed Force during Infinite Crisis.

Green Lantern: Hal Jordan stars in the main book. I don't read it, and I don't know enough about it to tell you anything worthwhile.

Ion: Kyle Rayner is Ion, and he flies around the Universe tending to his own narcissistic needs. I bought the trade for the first 6 issues, and it was ho-hum. Maybe it's become better since then (current issue is 13, I think).

Green Lantern Corps: I bought the first issue of this one. It seemed okay, if you really, really love the Green Lantern mythos.

Ion was a 12 issue maxiseries, it's over. And ho-hum is a pretty good description. As for the GL books, I dont know that I would advise now as a good time to jump right in, since the Sinestro Corps event is about to happen and its been building up for quite awhile. If you are interested in getting into GL, I'd suggest going back to Green Lantern: Rebirth and then Green Lantern Corps: Recharge, these are the two minis that set the current GLC status quo, after that you could skip ahead to the OYL storylines of each book if you want to get "current" in a hurry, but I've enoyed the entire run of both series so I would say to read it.

As for Flash, Bart Allen recently took over the mantle, and his whole storyline (both back. present, and future) are tied up in Infinite Crisis and Countdown, so it would probably be pretty daunting to hop on. However there are a bunch of trades featuring the Wally West Flash by Geoff Johns (and Waid's run before his is also highly regarded) that are what made me fall in love with the character.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm hoping that Countdown ends up sending a lot of characters that currently reside on New Earth back to their original Earths. The whole JSA should go back to Earth-2 (or is it Earth-1 now?). All the Charlton characters should head to Earth-4. The Marvel Family should go back to their Earth.

By this I mean, all future appearances on New Earth by these characters will cease. DC doesn't have to write off everything that happened, history can remain the same, but, in order to save the fabric of the Multiverse or some shit, everyone should be sent back to their original Earths. I like the idea of DC publishing books that cover the different Earths. I love the idea of the JSA going back to being the premier superteam on its own Earth.

Fuck me I'm glad you aren't writing for DC.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    When I say, "Haven't read DC since Hal came back," I mean it.
    I still look shit up on wiki before I ask about it.
    As far as Bart being Flash, he's gotta be my favorite, just because he was always my favorite. Well, except Wally. The thing in Zero Hour, when he recited Johnny's formula in order to "stop time" so he could say goodbye to Linda? I was a little choked up.

I'm thinking I'll at least look at GLC or one of the others. I'm hesitant to buy DC at all, really.

Me Too! on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Guys, when does that Great Ten book come out, and how awesome will it be?

august on
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OH GREAT COMIC GURU(S):

Where can I buy a black costume spider-man minimate (think that was series 2) that isn't >$45 on ebay.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I have a Runaways/Marvel Universe related question:
    At this current moment in the Marvel Universe, we know Kingpin is in jail. He's even shown in the latest issues of ASM in jail. So flip over to Runaways, which has made reference to the Civil War, so it's obvious it's up to the most recent moment in the MU. So... Why is it that in the latest issues, the Runaways go to Kingpin for help? I suppose the real question is HOW, since they meet him in his restaurant with him in his typical getup. He should be in jail, yet here he is giving the Runaways jobs. What?

Vann Diras on
    edited June 2007
    Are you sure he was in jail in ASM? I mean, he was talking to Spidey on the phone. Did he have a phone in his cell?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kingpin is getting his affairs in order before he must leave the U.S for good (see DD)

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Kingpin is getting his affairs in order before he must leave the U.S for good (see DD)

Thats right, I forgot he got freed in Daredevil

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ah, see, I don't read DD, so I didn't know. I just saw him talking to his associate in jail, while being watched by a guard when he set up the hit on Peter. Plus various other scenes with him in a jail setting with the orange jumpsuit. Could one of you PM the details of him being freed and all? So I have a bit of background on what's going on while reading ASM.

Vann Diras on
    edited June 2007
    No. No PMs. Go out and by the recent Brubaker DD arcs. You are doing yourself a disservice by not reading these finest exemplars of the genre.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (OR ANYBODY),

Guess who's coming to my LCS?

warrenellis.jpg

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Target, let me just say this, and I think I speak for everybody.

Die in a fire.
    Just kidding. Avoid fire at all costs so you can get my copy of Black Summer #0 signed. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (OR ANYBODY),

Guess who's coming to my LCS?

warrenellis.jpg

DAMNIT!!! Until I moved to Colorado last summer, that was my LCS!!

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    So I have a Runaways/Marvel Universe related question:
    At this current moment in the Marvel Universe, we know Kingpin is in jail. He's even shown in the latest issues of ASM in jail. So flip over to Runaways, which has made reference to the Civil War, so it's obvious it's up to the most recent moment in the MU. So... Why is it that in the latest issues, the Runaways go to Kingpin for help? I suppose the real question is HOW, since they meet him in his restaurant with him in his typical getup. He should be in jail, yet here he is giving the Runaways jobs. What?

Because Whedon apparently hates the idea of his comics fitting in with things happening elsewhere

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
This discussion has been closed.