As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blasts from the Past: Re-Draw Thread!

melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Artist's Corner
This thread is for the awesome fun-time of going back to revisit our sad artistic past and proving to ourselves that even if we suck now, at least we don't suck as bad as we did back then.

Remember that it'll be way more fun if you can post the original.

I'll go first!

Back in '06 I produced this steamy pile of blotchy watercolours for a friend:
wellbehaved.jpg

...and more recently:
wellbehavedwomen.jpg

Have at it and have fun! (:

melting_doll on

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome; thanks for starting one of these, MD. I loved dem lines on your update when you posted them awhile back in the doodly thread. They're like a more controlled Kate Beaton.

I seriously found the best thing to re-draw, from literally when I was like 11 or 12. I don't even know. Nor do I know how it has survived for so long but my sister had it and triumphantly presented it to me not too long ago for laffs. I will unveil it when I've put in some work on a redo. Meanwhile, get in here, folks.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yesssss, I love these threads. Time to dig up some dirt in my archives.

Sublimus on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I dug into my own personal D-Universe for something, and this is what I pulled out:
    SpesOld.jpg

The sad thing is that I had to choose this one because it had the fewest number of random belts. The creation date of the file is 2003, so I'm inclined to believe it. This was supposed to be concept art so you could see the costume. Could I have picked a worse pose for that?

SpesNew.jpg

The worst part is remembering so vividly what I wanted to do with the character.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This was so much fun!

I was so proud of this study after I had finished it back in the day. I painted it not two years ago and the problems are extremely glaring to me now.
    Romanbustwreathfinal.jpg

Painted from the same bust, I'm proud of this one too. Hopefully in two years time I'll be able to look back and see the progress I've made from today.
    romanbustweb.jpg

Reference

DeeLock on
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    very nice deelock, i still like your old one because its quirky

JeckalHyde on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Old (couple years ago):

cardinals.jpg

New:

cardinal11.jpg

I still could've worked on this for another hour or so. But I didn't care that much. Haha.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    2004:
    MutieVat2004.jpg

2011:
    MutieVat2011.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    very lovecraftian.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love that there are people posting perfectly good art that really just happens to be old, and then redrawing it to be even more awesome.

I totally found something for this and if I get time next week I'll post it. (this is my only day off and I staunchly refuse to use it doing anything other than posting on the internets!)

tapeslinger on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think this one is from around 2005 or 2006:

redoneold.jpg

And I just did this one:
    redraw.jpg

I made sure to cut their legs off at the same place.

ChicoBlue on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, Chico, that's some incredible improvement, thar!

And I definitely agree that some of these are just awesome re-draws of already-awesome work!

melting_doll on
  • spaniospanio Cartoonist Kentucky, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    20030910.jpg

This was the first time I ever drew these characters, way back in the summer of 2003. I attempted to add color months later using Photoshop, but very clearly had no idea what I was doing.

I revised and revisited these guys plenty of times over the course of the past 8 years, and this is a comic I did with them from about 2 weeks ago.

42.jpg

spanio on
    ojjuJ.gif gLmBL.gif
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These are great.

Since my sister dredged up what is possibly the oldest surviving drawing of mine in existence it would have been cool to really go nuts on this but one thing I haven't improved at is time management. :/

dragondude_old.jpg

dragondude_new.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • oscarmanoscarman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This was about a year ago... I was just starting concepts and stuff, but really wanted to draw this page, which is now part of chapter 2.
    chapter3page.jpg

And this is the page now!
    125.jpg

It's not a huge improvement, but i hope that in a year or two i'm much better :)

oscarman on
    signature2.jpg
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    I know this is only tangentally relevant since it's not my art, but a recent post by Jesper Ejsing is in the same vein as this thread; it's pretty inspiring in terms of showing off what 20 years of hard work can do for an artist:

http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2011/06/by-jesper-ejsing-i-just-recently-found.html

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From 2005 when I took my first drawing class in high school. This was the final project for the class. Took me about 5 hours to do.

clint1.jpg

From today. I have a lot better tools now with photoshop but also some more life knowledge, patience, etc. Took me about 4 hours to do start to finish.

clint3.png

tracertong on
  • TDevTDev Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I think this one is from around 2005 or 2006:

And I just did this one:
    http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af349/ChicoBleu/redraw.jpg

I made sure to cut their legs off at the same place.

You should also have him saying "Gah! Evil wang"

Edit: I also would be proud to call most any of these befores my after :)

TDev on
  • tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    From about 3 months ago. I even thought in my mind that I could draw and that I'd be able to do it - that was before I started. 5 minutes in it seemed like a herculean task and it wasn't looking right so I got discouraged, gave up and didn't draw again until recently.

oldorc1.jpg

oldorc2.jpg

tracertong on