As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E PbP Recruiting CLOSED] Curse of the Black Pearls

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Havrak is a really solid character concept and that's the second I've seen with some interesting links to the Quori/dreaming dark. Something I'll consider adding as a subplot (possibly) to the campaign. Good choice with storm hammer as well as an at-will power.

Incidentally there is no huge rush with regards to applications. I won't be starting the game for a while, because I have to plan what I'm doing and adjust some things depending on characters personal plots. At the moment I am still going over the prologue and then module 1.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm excited to see so many good applications! Even if I don't get in this should be a fun read. Could we perhaps get a quick summary of the apps Aegeri?

Anialos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have my own mini list at the moment, but I haven't made a summary just yet and I'll wait to do that for a little bit. Probably when I have a good mix of submissions across all four roles to consider.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really surprised that I'm the only one to take the Explorer theme. It seems really good.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri, would you want me to post a defender character with a more defined background? Or should I just leave my bard?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're not the only one. My sorcerer shifted to it, as I didn't like the parrot thing with my sorcerer. It just didn't feel...right.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Aegeri, would you want me to post a defender character with a more defined background? Or should I just leave my bard?

If I'm not mistaken, he said earlier (at the start?) of the thread that people could apply up to 3 times for different roles.

So tossing up a Defender to counterpoint your Leader couldn't be a bad idea.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You can submit as many of your limit of 3 characters as you wish, so long as they are different roles. I don't recommend just making something unless it's what you really want to play though, because I will consider all of your applications equally in terms of party make up. So I'm not going to just boost something because that's what you really wanted to play - So make sure all of your characters are precious snowflakes you'd love to play!

Aegeri on
  • Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey Aegeri, do you have a recommendation for Trem qi-Zel'Fen's theme? I actually don't have any idea what would line up in terms of character. He's not really learned, so Scholar is inappropriate. I don't like Ordained Priest, because he abuses the Avenger training for his own personal gain. Hospitalier and Alchemist aren't appropriate, and I personally hate the Animal Master one. The only thing I can think of that looks remotely useful or appropriate is the Guardian theme, though I can't see Trem qi-Zel'Fen going out of Its way to protect others. Destroy Its enemies, yes. Serve Its employers, yes. Maybe reflavoring for the Guardian theme will work, but I'm not a huge fan.

Incidentally, Aegeri, I had a quick question - I'm doing up a second submission, and I really like the Githyanki racial sort of mindset for my guy, but, well, they have no feats. Do you have a problem with Flavor-ruling it a Githyanki instead of a githzerai? Also, how do you feel about Hybrids? I know from your posts your monsters are...what's the word...horridly murderous. Yes. That's it. So Hybrids may not reach optimizational nirvana necessary.

srboyceboat on
    Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think that Mercenary is a good fall back theme if you can't think of another good option. Bear in mind you are not stuck with a theme and if Wizards releases a good one later, assuming you haven't picked any powers up you can retrain it to something else. I am very much hoping for some piracy related themes in future. Mercenary does sound very much like that description as well.

Personally I feel unless you have a very optimal hybrid you should avoid it. For one my games tend to vary on the lethal side and secondly, Hybrids often usually only perform one of their roles particularly well (and easy to fall into traps). It would depend on what the hybrid is, but it would have to compete against its dedicated counterparts at the same time - making it difficult to get through. I don't mind if you just play a Githzerai with a Githyanki kind of outlook: Eberron has a different feeling planar cosmology to the standard PoL setting - so their roles are likely to be different anyway. There are entire countries of "civilized" (I do use the term VERY loosely) monsters afterall. So you can be very malleable with the existing fluff for non-eberron specific races.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Higgs the Bos'n (Half-Orc Battlerager Fighter, Guardian Theme)

Background:
    Higgs grew up on the wharfs of Regalport, running with a motley crew of adolescents that called themselves the Regalport Reds. When he grew old enough, he, like many of his peers in Regalport and Lhazaar at large, signed on as a lowly deckhand on the Maridonna. He worked his way up the maritime employment ladder, eventually getting hired as a boatswain. He earned a reputation for working his men hard, but getting ships in on schedule, no matter what difficulties beset his vessel; he developed a fighting style employing the weapons he had at hand, oars, his whip, and copious amounts of alcohol. He refrained from engaging in direct combat in the Last War, concentrating instead on his own well-being and wealth. He worked on whatever vessel would hire him, whether it was pirate, privateer, or merchant.
    The end of the Last War was met with some feeling of disappointment of Higgs' part. A decline in hostilities meant a decline in interesting voyages for him. He took the most interesting jobs he could, pursuing rumors and shades of adventure. It was in pursuing one of these rumors that he got hired onto the Crimson Wave. Though he was refused the position of boatswain, he swallowed his pride and signed on as a guard, deciding it would be worth it if he saw some action.

Appearance and Personality:
    Higgs is a large, weathered half-orc. He carries an oar in his hands and a whip at his waist, and he has stored multiple flasks in easy reach for use during a fight. His hair and eyes are a dark brown, and he wears leather armor covered in nicks and cuts. Though physically imposing, he has let his fighting skills and spirit atrophy, and acts in a disinterested, world-weary manner.

Extra Flavor:
    Higgs' oar is simply a greatclub, reskinned; if this is not acceptable, I will rewrite as needed.
    His temporary hit points are derived from drinking from the flasks he has at hand. I bought three and filled them with ale; I don't know how realistic you want the consumption of those flasks to be.

EDIT: I guess I should mention, I'm currently DMing an IRL game, and am participating in a PBP on these forums.
    EDIT II: Whoops! Sheet linked.

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You should probably link your sheet. Heh.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aiden Baail: Human Swordmage Wizard's Apprentice
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Human, Swordmage
    Swordmage Aegis Option: Aegis of Shielding
    Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 16, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 16, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 10

AC: 19 Fort: 14 Ref: 15 Will: 13
    HP: 27 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +9, Athletics +8, Diplomacy +5, Endurance +6, Insight +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +0, Bluff +0, Dungeoneering +0, Heal +0, History +4, Intimidate +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Religion +4, Stealth +0, Streetwise +0, Thievery +0

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort
    Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Shielding
    Swordmage Attack 1: Lightning Lure
    Swordmage Attack 1: Luring Strike
    Swordmage Attack 1: Blazing Pursuit
    Swordmage Attack 1: Vanishing Blade
    Starting Feature: Colour Orb - Encounter; Ranged 1d8+mod Radiant, target dazed EONT.

FEATS
    Level 1: Intelligent Blademaster
    Level 1: Extended Teleportation

ITEMS
    Leather Armor x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Longsword x1
    ====== End ======

Backstory:
    Aiden has always considered the spell mightier than the sword, and was fascinated with magic at a young age. Unfortunately , magic was not interested in him. He became the apprentice to a local hedge wizard in the village of Cragwar, a border town. Cragwar fell several times in the Last War, and saw itself become property of several different factions, and each time, Aiden became an apprentice to whatever Wizard would be traveling with the marching army. And each time, he would find that his skill in magic and sorcery was not up to par with that of a true arcane master. After the end of the Last War, Aiden joined the local town guard and was trained with the old-fashioned longsword. He showed a considerable amount of skill with the sword over the spell, but refused to let what he had learned to go to waste. He practiced spells that allowed him to gain advantage over his rivals in practice duels, moving quickly and teleporting around his foes, confusing them and granting him an easier strike. Cragwar attracted the attention of the infamous Aurum, who were allowed to do as they pleased, as most of the guard were payed off. Aiden, however, refused, attempting to reveal a plot to turn the small town into a slave trading operation. The Aurum easily framed him for the murder of the local smithy, and ordered to be hanged. He escaped the town and hopped the first boat out onto the open seas, trying to lose his rich and powerful pursuers.

Appearance
    Aiden stands at a rather tall 6'3, with an athletic build from his time serving the guard and his constant training. His sword is pitted and wrapped in leather, carried on his back. On his side is a small pamphlet where he holds his limited number of spells. His hair is black and unkempt, curling around his face and sides. Besides somehow constantly looking as if he had just gotten out of bed, there is nothing noteworthy about his features, besides perhaps how unoteworthy they are.

Mannerisms:
    Aiden appears to be slightly paranoid of the Aurum, asking about them when in company, of their plans, if anyone has heard if they are around. His hand never travels to far from his sword, and any conversation with him quickly leads to either tales of magic or questions about the organization.

Picture:
    e51e9f69c198138bb43c6e9021f631e3.jpg

No really preference in what I play, besides that I don't really enjoy a striker. So, I might submit a controller later.. we'll see.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gild Warforged Brawler Fighter
    Summary
    Gild, level 1
    Warforged, Fighter
    Build: Brawling Fighter
    Fighter: Combat Agility
    Fighter Talents: Brawler Style
    Background: Hellion (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 14, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 12.

AC: 18 Fort: 18 Reflex: 14 Will: 12
    HP: 29 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Endurance +8, Intimidate +6, Athletics +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +2, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, History, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion, Stealth +2, Streetwise -1, Thievery +2

FEATS
    Level 1: Brawler Guard

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Grappling Strike
    Fighter at-will 1: Brash Strike
    Fighter encounter 1: Takedown Attack
    Fighter daily 1: Seize and Stab

ITEMS
    Hide Armor, Warhammer, Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (120), Adventurer's Kit
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Using the Guttersnipe Theme

Background
    Gild was found washed up on a beach in the Lahazaar province, an unfortunate victim of some rather intense naval fighting. Because he was a Warforged however, he was still very barely alive and with the help of an old soldier who had retired to the area he managed to recover. Something about his ordeal had changed him, and not in a very predictable way. When he began to travel to some of the small towns and dives along the coast, to buy food or help his rescuer, he began to copy and emulate some of the more outrageous characters. He slowly began to acquire and wear clothing, growing more and more extravagant as the months and years passed. He adopted a carefree and daredevil attitude, spending as many of his waking hours as he could dicing and gambling in seedy bars or attempting to (poorly) seduce anything with a pulse. Though there was initially some hesitation, eventually the strange Warforged became a common sight around many towns in the area and gained a bit of a reputation. When his luck went sour (as it often would) he would spend some months working as a thug or strongarm, occassionally hauling cargo on a ship or running mundane errands before he could earn enough money to dive right back. He is a veteran of a hundred bar brawls, and many have learned how it feels to be hurled through a door or window by a massive warforged.

He is always looking for new thrills and adventures, sometimes signing up to charter himself on ships going to distant places, but always returning to the familiar bars and taverns he loves.

Mannerisms and Appearance
    Outrageous and gregarious, he wears the most fashionable and foppish clothes he can find, always topped with a large and rather floppy hat. He is fond of gambling and living large, spending gold like its going out of fashion. Fancies himself as a bit of a casanova and will relentlessly hit on anything even remotely female, to rather mixed success. As he thinks of himself as an adventurerer, he's always up for taking risks and doing whatever he feels is most dramatic and daring in the situation. He is versed and immersed in the seedy underworld society that is found in nearly every seaside town, almost a fixture in many bars he walks into.

In combat, he is brutal. Wielding a massive warhammer single-handedly, he grabs and throws his opposition with his immense strength. He is most confident in bar brawls, as they contributed most of his combat experience.

Image- (I had to use this one)
    X7ur2.jpg

Hmm, figured I'd submit this one as well because I couldn't get the character out of my head after seeing that picture. I'll tighten up both my apps closer to the deadline.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Higgs the Bos'n: Interesting concept (and funny name). You can of course use an oar as a greatclub. You don't seem to have included a character sheet though :O

Aiden Baail: I really like the background and the Aurum are actually interesting as an antagonist group in this game as well (due to the issues in the Principalities). Shielding swordmage will also prove a pretty effective ranged defender in the game. Good submission.

Gild: I really love the brawler fighter as a concept actually and have been keen to see one in play. The background is rather amusing when combined with the image you've selected.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I just noticed something from the OP:

when you drown, now, you take damage based upon your level... so doesn't that mean that the higher level you are, the less time you can hold your breath?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes you do, but it's much easier to make the check at epic levels than it is at the heroic tier. So while you may drown faster when you do fail it at epic, you're much more likely to actually be able to not drown in the first place. Really it means that it's far more practical to have some underwater delving and similar at the heroic tier, because before it was just too brutal. Drowning at epic tier commonly occurs because you're at 0 HP and you just start automatically taking the damage.

At the same time, if this game does go on long enough to get to epic tier you won't be drowning in regular old water by that point. It will be *so* much worse.

Edit: For those unfamiliar with the original rules, you needed to make an endurance check at DC 10 (or maybe 15, can't remember off hand) + damage taken while fighting underwater. On a failure you took healing surge damage and began to drown (needed to make an endurance check each turn). This meant that you basically got rapidly wiped out the instant you started losing in such a fight. Combined with my use of skirmishing sharks and some other things, plus 3D combat, it made that particular battle permanently scar my poor IRL players. It's still one of the most difficult battles I ever ran that didn't manage to TPK a party (by all rights it should have, if it wasn't for one decision!).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Persecutus, Revenant (Human) Stormheart Warden | Explorer

Summary
    Persecutus, level 1
    Revenant, Warden
    Guardian Might: Stormheart
    Choose your Race in Life: Human
    Background: Lost Kin (+2 to Athletics)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 17, Con 18, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 17, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10.

AC: 18 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 35 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
    Nature +5, Endurance +10, Perception +5, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana -1, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering, Heal, History -1, Insight, Intimidate +2, Religion -1, Stealth, Streetwise, Thievery

FEATS
    Level 1: Death's Blessing

POWERS
    Warden at-will 1: Warden's Lunge
    Warden at-will 1: Tempest Assault
    Warden encounter 1: Gale Strike
    Warden daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald

ITEMS
    Hide Armor, Spear, Light Shield, Javelin (3), Backpack (empty), Hempen Rope (50 ft.), Sunrod (4)
    Background:
    The Short Version:
    Persecutus was born Drazan Palatus, a poor farm boy that wasn't too bright. He grew up a sheltered life and ultimately left his home in search of his brother, and adventurer with whom he had lost all contact. He attained work as a crewman on a merchant vessel that made a habit of ferrying refugees and food/supplies during the Last War. He had no idea these "refugees" and "supplies" were actually mercenaries and weapons/munitions, and ultimately that led to his demise when the ship was attacked by rival smugglers. His death was not the end, however. Instead it was only the beginning. Persecutus woke up at the bottom of the ocean with a purpose: To kill all pirates. Fueled by the fire of revenge, he walked until he came to dry land, then looked for the first ship that might be attacked by pirates, coming across the Crimson Wave and it's special cargo.

The Long Version:
    Drazen Palatus was born to a poor farming family in western Thrane, near the town of Larunor. The youngest of three brothers, Drazen spent most of his upbringing tending the farm and doing grunt work. Never particularly quick-witted, and always far too trusting, he was often tricked into taking on extra chores or performing tasks that were intended for his brothers. Around his 10th birthday, Drazen's eldest brother, Braylon, left to take up a life of adventuring. Over the years he would write occasionally to talk about the fantastic places he had been and the exciting quests he had undertaken.

Drazen was never too taken with farm work. He was far more interested in seeing the world, as his brother had. During the off-seasons, he would take his meager earnings and head up to Lake Galifar, booking passage on any ships available to take him across the lake, to get as far from home as he could. He would always return, however, as the farm wouldn't work itself and Drazen's other brother Jason was too busy gallivanting with local farmgirls to be any real help.

Around Drazen's 18th birthday the letters from Braylon stopped coming. At first there wasn't much thought given to it, but after a time Drazen decided that he needed to strike out to find out what had become of his brother, and perhaps take up the adventurer's way. So gathering what few things he had he left his home. To this point in his life The Last War hadn't really been something he was concerned with. The life of a rural farmer didn't really lend itself to thinking about political boundaries.

He made his way north to Flamekeep and realizing that he needed money, decided to try and get hired onto a vessel of some sort. He thought to himself that it would be a good way to find information on his brother at the various ports, and also a good way to see the world. Looking around the port, he came across the Morning Star, captained by Fineus Thorbarten. The Morning Star was a merchant vessel, but during the War Fineus told Drazen he spent far more time transporting refugees and supplies between the battle-torn areas, and he could use a crewman that could take orders, work hard, and keep his nose out of trouble. Drazen was all three of these, so he signed on immediately.

In reality the Morning Star was a smuggling vessel, and Fineus trafficked in weapons and munitions which he sold to the highest bidder. The "refugees" aboard were really mercenaries booking passage to get to more lucrative areas.

Drazen was blissfully unaware of any of that, and he never even thought to question the integrity of the captain. He served faithfully and ably, even picking up some skills with the spear and shield from some of his fellow crewmen. At each port they would come into he would ask about his brother, but never uncovered any leads. This continued for two years before the fateful day that would end one life, and begin another.

The Morning Star was travelling through the Lhazaar Principalities, ferrying "supplies" and "refugees" as they normally did, when they were set upon by pirates. At least, that's what Fineus referred to them as when a battleship came up alongside the Star and gruff-looking men started boarding the vessel. In reality Drazen was being duped again, and the invaders were really rival smugglers looking to get at the cargo. Oblivious to the truth, Drazen fought as best he could. Several of the "refugees" also fought, and Drazen looked on as many of them were killed and thrown overboard. Rage grew within him at the pirates that would dare harm innocent folks that were just trying to flee the war raging in the east. He lashed out with renewed vigor, and managed to take down many "pirates" before one landed a strike to his leg. Hobbled, he was unable to resist when he was shoved overboard. Hitting his head on the side of the boat, he was disoriented as he hit the water. The last thing he remembers is seeing the light of the surface fade away into darkness, and the cold sea water filling his lungs.

Persecutus remembers none of this. The first thing he remembers is opening his eyes and seeing darkness. It was cold, it was wet, and a fish of some sort was nibbling at his leg. Spearing the animal for its insolence, Persecutus rose to his feet. Only one thought remained in his mind. Revenge. Revenge against pirates. For what, he knew not, but he knew that he had a purpose and that purpose was to destroy any pirate he came across. Settling on a direction, he began walking. He walked for a time. How long is uncertain, but as the time passed he started to take on some of the attributes of the deep. Cold, Immoveable, Driven like the current. Ultimately he climbed up and out of the ocean, and immediately began to search for a way to fulfill his purpose. Making his way to the nearest town, he located some new equipment and set about to finding pirates. He heard a rumor regarding a ship called the Crimson Wave, and some interesting cargo. Feeling that the cargo would make a compelling target for pirates, he arranged to get aboard.

Mannerisms & Appearance
    Persecutus is of average height and weight. His face and body appear gaunt, and his skin always seems to be slightly wet. His eyes are completely black, except for a single point of silver light. His gray hair is unkempt and knotted and his skin is of a light complexion, but with an ashen hue.

Persecutus has no sense of humor. He is completely literal and 100% focused on his purpose; to destroy all pirates. His definition of pirate is currently restricted to nautical foes, those that would board another ship without cause in an attempt to harm innocent people. As he observes the world around him through the light of his new eyes that view might expand to anyone that prey on those weaker than themselves. Despite his cold, calculating resolve Persecutus still has a "soft spot" in his "heart" for the downtrodden. He will gladly lay down his unlife for anyone he deems an innocent soul.

- I DM one PbP here on the boards currently, but also play in one PbP here on the boards…so no bonus points for me. Hopefully the character concept is compelling enough.
    - I'm always available to post, am in the GMT -7 timezone, and will post on weekends if there's something to do.
    - No portrait yet…haven't found just the right thing, so I'm still looking.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Persecutus: Interesting background and well detailed, also fits very easily in with the general piracy theme of the game too. Death's blessing would be a more than useful feat in this game as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    b0b52000b0b52000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Second time around.... Again let me know if I need to change anything, more than willing to force changes to adapt. So here we go:

Arshaka "Bedrock" the Shardmind, Psion, Scholar theme

Summary
    Shardmind, Psion
    Build: Telekinetic Psion
    Discipline Focus Option: Telekinesis Focus
    Shardmind Option: Diplomacy Bonus
    Arcane Sentinel (+2 to Arcana)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 12, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 16, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 12, CON 12, DEX 10, INT 16, WIS 14, CHA 12

AC: 14 Fort: 11 Ref: 14 Will: 15
    HP: 24 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +13, Diplomacy +8, History +9, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +0, Athletics +1, Bluff +1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +3, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Nature +3, Religion +4, Stealth +0, Streetwise +1, Thievery +0

POWERS
    Shardmind Racial Power: Shard Swarm
    Psion Feature: Far Hand
    Psion Feature: Forceful Push
    Psion Attack 1: Force Punch
    Psion Attack 1: Kinetic Trawl
    Psion Attack 1: Hand of Caution

FEATS
    Level 1: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Jagged Force

ITEMS
    Staff Implement x1
    Spear x2
    Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
    ====== End ======

Background:
    Ashraka came into being along the coast line of one of the many principalities of the Lhazaar Principalities. Unsure of who or what he was, he made his way into the city, watching and learning the language. Avoiding detection until a sorcerer made his way through the area, somehow, the sorcerer found him, and reported him to the guard. who overwhelmed him and brought him to the prince's keep, where he was forced to stay.

After months of indecisive action on the part of the prince, and studying done by the shardmind, it was finally offered to Ashraka, or "BedRock" as his guards called him, to join with the princes privateer crew. Ashraka's curiosity got the better of him, and he jumped at the chance to be free in the world once again.
    During the last war Ashraka served on that prince's privateer crew until his ship was sunk, destroyed by a rival prince's ship.

Without the need to breathe, Ashraka was at most, inconvenienced by his lack of a ship, at best, he was free of the prince's bonds for good. He spent the remainder of the war studying his people, his abilities, and his past. He set about to find the mage that sold him out to the prince, for knowledge in general, but he needed resources to start his search, selling his experience as a former privateer, the unique mercenary found only one ship willing to take him on, the Crimson Wave.

Appearance:
    Ashraka is a shardmind, his body comprised of tiny copper colored shards held together by his psionic force. When Assembled the shards stand at a rather average 5"10.

Personality:
    Ashraka is quiet when he needs to be, and imposing when it's asked of him. His time alone has made his conversation skills dull, though, it isn't an average person that strikes up a conversation with a rock charged with psionic energy anyways. When he does speak, it is typically direct, and he regards most creatures the same way an alchemist regards chemical compounds. His quest for knowledge is his utmost concern, and he is willing to do whatever is needed to attain more of it.

b0b52000 on
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I'm really surprised that I'm the only one to take the Explorer theme. It seems really good.

Delu Wavecaller took it too!

Anialos on
  • Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think Persecutus is going to update to Stormheart as his Guardian Might tonight, once I get back to my Character Builder. I think thematically it works better, since it allows me to push people around and slow them with my second wind, and Stormheart gives lightning and cold damage bonuses, which is more what I was thinking.

I'll make the update when I get home and then throw the revised data up in my post.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Definately interested in submitting an application or two for this PbP. However, I'm not too familiar with Eberron. I'll try and do what research I can with what resources I can find, but I was wondering if I put up a character concept and background without specifics (like specific locations in Eberron) if we could then fill the holes later.

Also, were the only Themes allowed the new ones in Dragon? Reason I ask is I was considering a martial character with either the gladiator or escaped slave theme (not sure if there's slavery in Eberron, so that might be out if not), but those are Dark Sun themes. If I can't use them, that's cool but it's good to know what I have access to before making something.

Zomro on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't allow the use of the Dark Sun themes in settings outside of Dark Sun, due to how different mechanically they are. So I am keeping them separate in my campaigns: Only the dragon themes are allowed.

Arshaka: The psion is a solid controller actually and I quite approve of the build (One of the first times I've not seen dishearten/mind trust!). The background is pretty general as well, which does allow me to place some ties back to other individuals on the ship or in Regalport.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ace Jon. Your necromancer character doesn't actually use any necromancer spells, so the necromancer apprentice class feature would never trigger and you would gain no benefit. If I understand the feature correctly.

TheBog on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I don't allow the use of the Dark Sun themes in settings outside of Dark Sun, due to how different mechanically they are. So I am keeping them separate in my campaigns: Only the dragon themes are allowed.

Arshaka: The psion is a solid controller actually and I quite approve of the build (One of the first times I've not seen dishearten/mind trust!). The background is pretty general as well, which does allow me to place some ties back to other individuals on the ship or in Regalport.

Seeing this, you want me to remove Wasteland Nomad from Alhuun? It was a kind of important thing, since depending on how the story played out and affected him, Sand Reaver was one of the Paragons I had my eye on (if selected, obviously, and if he survived to 11).

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, you will have to unfortunately because I only use the DS themes in Dark Sun (I also don't allow the new themes in my DS game either). I do wish wizards had kept the mechanical complexity and options the same, but unfortunately they didn't so I prefer a one or the other system.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Righto, he gets no theme, then. Nothing really fits him properly, as-is.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hurston d'Medani - Half-Elf Noble Ardent

Summary:
    Hurston d'Medani, level 1
    Half-Elf, Ardent
    Ardent Mantle: Mantle of Impulsiveness
    Half elf Power Selection: Dilettante
    Background: Basilisk's Gaze (Perception class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 18, Dex 9, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 17.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 16, Dex 9, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 15.

AC: 14 Fort: 15 Reflex: 12 Will: 14
    HP: 30 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Intimidate +8, Insight +7, Athletics +5, Perception +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -1, Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +5, Dungeoneering, Endurance +4, Heal, History +2, Nature, Religion +2, Stealth -1, Streetwise +3, Thievery -1

FEATS
    Level 1: Mark of Detection

POWERS
    Ardent at-will 1: Ire Strike
    Ardent at-will 1: Karmic Bond
    Dilettante: Staggering Note
    Ardent daily 1: Battleborn Acuity

ITEMS
    Hand Crossbow, Fine Clothing, Lyre, Short sword, Leather Armor

Long Background:
    Hurston was born into the Dragonmarked House Medani 24 years ago in Sharn. He didn't serve directly in the Last War, but like all members of Medani, found himself caught up in the politics of his patriarch. Relatively young for a half-elf, Hurston spent the vast majority of his time among the Sharn Watch, trying, with every part of him, to stay away from his patriarch's politics. Though he shares a direct surname connection to the patriarch's family, his great-great paternal grandfather's family is twice removed from the patriarch's third cousin. The complicated nature of this connection, combined with Medani's tendency to favor Breland heavily during the Last War meant that Hurston's father, Probert d'Medani, encouraged him to stay local to Sharn, and to stay in the Upper City as much as possible. Foremost among the motivations for this was Probert's belief that Medani's spies and informants would lead to Breland's victory, and he didn't want his cousin's plotting and scheming to send Hurston off on a dangerous mission serving an enemy that would be shortly crushed. Hurston didn't care, really, and was happy to stay in Sharn - but his time with the Watch had him descending the levels rapidly, aiding in investigations for both profit and sport and largely to prove his superior intellect, which, it eventually turned out, wasn't quite so superior. Beaten badly during an investigation, he began strengthening his body and training his wit to deal with threats. It was during this time that the treaty of Thronehold was signed and suddenly House Medani was replete with bored spies looking for missions and not enough in the way of talented Inquisitives. The Patriarch made a move over toward this new line of work for the House and began dispensing talented agents as quickly as possible. Hurston was able to finagle training with the Basilisk's Eye, but eventually grew frustrated with their anarchic and odd training, which he felt was more aptly suited to spies than detectives, and descended the levels once again (much to his father's dismay).

There, he met up with Soneste Otänsin, who revealed a handful of important secrets to him: chief among them was that it wasn't so much about being brilliant as it is reading people and making the right assumptions. Hurston still struggles with a general feeling that he's not smart enough, and endlessly struggles to enhance his knowledge of just about everything. He misses out on quite a bit of common sense from time to time and, even with his advanced training, doesn't always make the most logical decisions. Soneste recognized Hurston's burgeoning psionic talent and passed on Kalashtar teachings, allowing Hurston to channel his clever perceptions of the world and his allies into being a useful combat coordinator. Ultimately, though, Sharn became too much of a prime target stomping ground for inquisitives and the dangerous aberrant "houses," and Probert grew uncomfortable. He'd heard reports of nefarious activity harming some of the other Dragonmarked houses out in the Lhazaar Provinces, and knew he could manipulate the animosity between he and Treblin to have his son sent far away from the growing dangers of the House and, in particular, his sons growing tendency to involve himself in dangerous affairs of the city. So it was that Hurston, a city boy through-and-through, was equipped with some fine clothes, a sturdy set of hide armor and his trusty crossbow and told to seek transport on the Crimson Wave, to look for work and be on the watch for any shady dealings which could harm the House or any of its allies. In Hurston's mind, it felt more like a "get lost," but new challenges are the food of the inquisitive mind, so he's taken to it with gusto.

Personality and Mannerisms:
    Hurston is charismatic and funny, but he's also hurtful and direct. His time with the Watch made him generally mistrustful of people, particularly lower-income people. It's not that he thinks low-class folks are all bad, but he simply has seen evidence that those conditions produce more people of an unsavory nature. He respects hard worker, but he respects people who can get others to do hard work even more. He's not particularly strong, but he prefers fighting unarmed or only with his simple sword and keeps a hand crossbow (which he's always misplacing) for ranged damage. [note: I have given him a short sword, but that's largely because Clubs aren't off-hand. Which is, what? Really? It's a stick. Further down the road, I want to get him a singing stick, which is thematically more appropriate and could basically be a riding crop or a cane of some sort] Hurston rather enjoys being a "fish out of water," so to speak, because he views it as an opportunity to learn more interesting things, but his caustic attitude doesn't always win him friends in those situations. For example, he abhors learning "the basics," and generally tries to fast talk or intimidate his way out of it. He's okay with being a man of few friends, generally speaking. He's sort of like a Sherlock Holmes/Greg House with pointy ears. He's not, really, because he's not as smart as either, but he thinks he is, or at least that he could be. He's not above manipulation and cunning, even among his allies, and feels he can quickly assess a person's worth and usefulness (not always true). He's a little resentful of his father's overprotective nature and has a tenuous relationship with his brother (whom I haven't named yet), who is sort of his father's crown jewel. He likes to keep involved in the affairs of the houses, and enjoys trying to suss out the games of power the other Houses and nations are playing by trying to find patterns and clues in newspaper headlines. (Yes, Eberron has newspapers) When bored, he frequently practices his Lyre (which now has only four strings) and has a propensity for playing it strangely, plucked, slapped, and twanged rather than strummed, and at odd hours of the night (very loudly). He aspires to one day own a violin or a trouper-style lute.

Appearance:
    Hurston wears a finely tailored suit as often as possible - full length pants of a tweed make with a fine sandy color, fine and light leather boots, a silk shirt with as little frilling as possible (he believes frills are a fashion whimsy not affordable during investigations, as they are distracting and dangerous in fights), a striking maroon waistcoat, and a matching tan tweed jacket with leather patches on the shoulders and elbows, as is fashionable among the upper class Watch Captains and Chiefs in Sharn. He also prefers dimmed reading spectacles that are perfectly round and a brightly colored blue scarf emblazoned with his House's crest. The crest he keeps hidden most times, preferring to display it only when he needs to. He has dark brown hair shot through with red kept in only a vague sense of order. He sometimes slicks it back with pomade, but rarely, and he usually sports what appears to be a day's growth of stubble in a roughly goatee shaped pattern with patchy grown all along his jaw. In reality it takes him about a week to grow anything necessitating a shave, which he does carefully and gracefully. He has a strong chin and a hard jaw line, but small ears for a half-elf and a slightly hooked nose (which has been clearly broken at least twice and mended by some talented Jorasco healers). His green eyes and bushy eyebrows can quickly turn from indifferently pleased to menacing and concerned, and he can quickly activate an air of haughtiness that stems from a lifetime of cultured living conditions.

Mechanically:
    I wanted to try and build an Ardent that played and acted a bit more like a Warlord in combat. Between Ire Strike and Karmic Bond, he can kick damage up for the whole party pretty significantly and transfer the job of actually smacking things to those more capable. Plus, reflecting his rashness and general impulsiveness, he's something of a wildcard. Basically, when you're within 5 of Hurston, provoke an OA. Just do it. If you get hit, meh, big deal. You get to deal 4 extra damage on any attack that hits before the end of your next turn. If you miss, good news! You still get to do bonus damage. Plus, smacking Hurston impugns his honor, and if you manage to bloody his lip, he'll have his allies come down on you and how for a turn or two. I went with the Noble theme, because, well, he is one. It also fits the idea of someone who doesn't quite have the shape of the world determined yet, but clearly thinks he does. The Noble power is neat as a leader ability because it lets everyone get into better spots for the fight, which matches his inspirations. Also, I am aware he has no crossbow bolts. He forgot them. On purpose. So he'd have an excuse to send for them and some of the finer things in his House's arsenal later on. Also, potentially to try his hand at pickpocketing, which he's given to understand is a respected maritime scallywag pastime.

As a side note, Hurston is intentionally "a fish out of water," in this one. Inspiration from him didn't come from the Pirates movies or any of that swashbuckling stuff, but instead, quite obviously, from Sherlock Holmes (more the modern and recent BBC one called Sherlock) with maybe just a hint of Cyrano de Bergerac. I thought it might be neat to drop a lawful good arrogant ass into a place where most arrogant asses are not patriots or even on the side of the law, but tend toward Unaligned and Chaotic Evil types. Hurston is pointedly not evil - he won't physically harm other people unless provoked - but he won't pull verbal punches in the slightest. He states harsh truths directly and effectively and easily grows bored when his mind isn't engaged, and when he's bored, he can be a bit of a terror. On the other hand, he's pretty much custom built to readily bond with the strong, silent moral type, particularly anyone who's impressed with him and tolerates his eccentricities.

I'm basically going to blow my third submission, but the idea is too silly not to present...

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bulm Blodned - Bullywug Battlemind Seer
    Bulm Blodned was originally called Bulm Ned amongst his nomadic tribe in the swamps of Q'barra. They served as a border patrol for a particularly benevolent clan of Cold Sun lizardfolk who had allowed "back-to-basics" dragonborn refugees to live among them and in relative peace with one another. This peace extends, only barely, to the bullywugs. The wugs, as they prefer to be known, were endlessly convinced, as most wugs are, that the tribe was plotting their destruction. The tribe's mudlord, Polg Wig, felt like at any moment the dragonborn would suddenly sprout wings, grow several meters in length and rage, and consume and destroy the lizardfolk, then roast the wugs with lightning or fire or some other awful thing just for the fun of it. She knew from traders the lizardfolk had forced them to deal with that dragon prophecy had become significant in the last few years, and loathed and envied the very idea of prophecy - knowing what was going to happen! It was the sense of peace and stability that every wug longed for. And hated. Because they're wugs.

So when Bulm Ned began to accurately predict, from his dreams, where the Blackscale Lizardfolk would be invading and was able to position his patrol bands to save traders, dragonborn, and lizardfolk, Polg became incredibly nervous. This seemed, to her at any rate, a combination of things: one, it was dread prophecy. Two, it was Bulm Ned using his aberrant gifts to usurp her power and position the dragonborn for their eventual rise and murder of her whole clan. She made to murder Bulm, but he managed to defend himself long enough for a passing dragonborn warrior to rescue him. Polg deemed him Blod - which is to say "un-tribed" in Primordial - and cast him out. Bulm became Bulm Blodned, and travelled with the dragonborn for fear of returning to his tribe or wandering too close to other groups in the area. Ultimately, the dragonborn was impressed with Bulm's gift for prophecy, so he took him to one of the local settlements of the civilized refugees and recommended Bulm use his gifts as a scout for caravans and trading concerns. Bulm was still distrustful of these non-wugs, but he also knew that he'd need coin to survive in "civilized" society, especially when it was incredibly apparent to him and no one else that everyone, including the dragonborn, had some ulterior motive and was going to abuse Bulm's gifts horribly. For whatever reason, though, Bulm couldn't turn his prophetic eye toward his own future. It seemed to come in spurt of inspiration. Thus, he began secretly wondering if the gift itself was out to get him. Ultimately, once he'd acquired enough food (to be able to buy it was sort of a revelation, Bulm buys everything raw and then torches it with the idea that it will be sterilized in this way. He also inspects everything for poison before consuming it), he knew he had to get away from these people lest they finally launch their plans and twist his prophetic gaze to their whims, possibly twisting his bones and body in the process. Can't have that. Can't have prophecy sneaking up on him either. He might be able to know what's coming from his enemies, but he couldn't be sure when prophecy itself might eventually come and get him.

Thus, Bulm headed for the Lhazaar Provinces. At least at sea, he could always just dive into the ocean. The ocean, at least, he knew was going to try to kill him. And for a wug, knowing is at least half the battle.

Appearance:
    Couldn't help it…
    Pimple.jpg
    pimple-copy.jpg

Aaaand the one on the left...
    wallpaper_battletoads_800x600.jpg

Personality and Mannerisms:
    Bulm is super paranoid. Obviously. He's also developing some serious obsession and compulsions brought on by his visions. He spins his chain three times before he swings it, clockwise, every time. When he makes camp for the night, he finds north, lays his glaive out pointing north, turns right twice, stretches his arms out behind him and exhales five times. He counts everything. Always. Endlessly. He can't count very high, and he counts in primes. 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, One-1, One-2, One-3, One-5, One-7, One-11, One-13, Two-1, Two-2, Two-3, Two-5, Two-7, Two-11, Two-13, Three-1…Three-13, and then Five-1, so on and so forth, which makes communicating with him about anything significant incredibly difficult, because it's base 7 and doesn't use the right numbers. He doesn't know those are prime numbers. That's probably prophecy at work. He doesn't know that most of the things he repeats (touching the tips of his glaive, for example) are repeated in prime numbers. He doesn't know that he's psionic, and thinks that the halo of power he conjures is a manifestation of his seer magics.

Mechanically:
    I mean, come on, it's a giant frog. Natural Con bonus made this not an awful choice for a battlemind, but the dex bonus is a little wasted. Good strength from those MBAs when necessary. I actually like that hey have no racial feats because during optimization, those always distract me. I wind up spending them on stuff that I don't necessarily need and sometimes forget to class-focus my stuff.

I notice that, in general, we're kind of ok with limited house rules. Well, I don't feel like Bulm has much of a shot because he's from the monster catalog, but I have three houserule recommendations/requests for Bulm - the first is a definitive "no," but "swim 2" as a speed. All the bullywugs in Monster Manual 2 have a swim speed. The second is a change to Rancid Air from "spends a healing surge" to "regains any hit points or gains temporary hit points." The last is to add "Nature's Release" back on. This sounds dumb, but when combined with the change to Rancid Air, it makes sense. The wug takes an enormous wallop, and though damaging the creature aids the world, it also leaves the attacker distracted and weakened by the event. I guess this could piss of party members, but Nature's Release wouldn't buff enemies too much. Statistically, nature's release ought to be "the target regains temporary hit points equal to 2 + half your level. This increases to 4 + half your level at 11 and 4 + your level at 21" Which means at heroic tier, it won't get ridiculous until later on, and in paragon, they have so much god damn HP that 8 - 13 extra in exchange for half damage for a round might actually allow for extended survival. It also means minions who crit are scarier because they actually have to be damaged, but less scary because their attacks are even weaker. I dunno, I like it.

I get a little crazy. I'll admit that. But when I compare Wugs to any of the other MM or MM2 monsters, they're way underpowered. Duergar get Darkvision and Infernal Quils, which is an attack penalty and ongoing damage. That's amazing for a racial encounter power. Githyanki get racial bonus to initiative, will defense buffs, and charm resists, as well as Telekinetic Leap, which is far from bad. Goblins are shifty little bastards, get lowlight vision, and racial bonus to reflex, as well as two skill bonuses. Everyone else is basically amazing, and the frogmen get screwed. Also, Mimicry for Kenku? Are you kidding me? A Kenku with Bluff (which they get a buff to via both their Cha score and their Skill bonus) could basically convince a guard to abandon his post by mimicking his superior. Incredible.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hurston d'Medani: That is an interesting concept and I think Ardents don't pull off a bad pseudo warlord either. Good background as well and Sherlock Holmes as inspiration isn't something that is out of place in Eberr.

Bulm Blodned: Sorry to say, but I can't really see myself fitting that into the game at all. It's a neat idea though.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I spent way too much time trying to think of a way that a Chaotic Evil Paladin that follows The Devourer would be a part of a pirate crew.

I think I'll figure out something a little more straightforward.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Ace Jon. Your necromancer character doesn't actually use any necromancer spells, so the necromancer apprentice class feature would never trigger and you would gain no benefit. If I understand the feature correctly.
    That's right, but there aren't any necromancer spells until level 5, unless Aegeri lets me reflavour an encounter power or something?

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually Rotting Doom and Restless Dead are the necromancy at-will powers. I can't actually tell you how useful rotting doom would be at this stage, I haven't thought about what precise monsters I am going to use as I go back and forth between a couple of concepts that I like best. The vulnerability isn't a bad effect, but it's not a great controller at-will.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looking at the compendium, there's actually plenty of necrotic powers... why weren't these in the character builder? :/ I'd go on now and check it out further but it's getting some alien error as it's loading...

(E: I'm new to all d&di stuff, just subscribed the other day)

E2: Aha! Show additional powers. Will update.

E3: Most of the necromancy powers were better than what I had already! This... is a good day.
    Eladrin, Mage
    School: Necromancy School

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 14, DEX 12, INT 20, WIS 11, CHA 8

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 18, WIS 11, CHA 8

AC: 17 Fort: 12 Ref: 15 Will: 13
    HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +12, Athletics +5, History +12, Insight +5, Religion +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Bluff –1, Diplomacy –1, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +2, Heal +0, Intimidate –1, Nature +0, Perception +0, Stealth +1, Streetwise –1, Thievery +1

POWERS
    Eladrin Racial Power: Fey Step
    Wizard Utility: Suggestion
    Wizard Utility: Spook
    Wizard Utility: Disrupt Undead
    Wizard Attack 1: Phantom Chasm
    Wizard Attack 1: Spirit Rend
    Wizard Attack 1: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
    Wizard Attack 1: Darkening Flame
    Wizard Attack 1: Restless Dead
    Wizard Attack 1: Freezing Burst
    Wizard Attack 1: Magic Missile

FEATS
    Level 1: Unarmored Agility

ITEMS
    Staff Implement x1
    Longsword x1
    Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing)
    Adventurer's Kit
    Hempen Rope (50 ft.)
    Waterskin
    Belt Pouch (empty)
    Travel Papers
    Raven's Feather
    ====== End ======

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    double post :/

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Throwing my tricorn into the ring.

I'm swinging the lead!
    “When I was young I was sold to a priest. Later I learned he had lost his five year old son a few months prior, disease was running rampant during the war you know? The brothers at the orphanage showed me a painting of the child and said ‘look here boy... look here if -you- can be -him- you’ll have a life of riches and happiness. Something not many of your brothers and sisters can look forward to!’ and for a while it worked. But mimicking someone is a difficult task for a five year old and they hardly gave me much to work with. A different laugh here a misjudged eye color there. They rejected me. Worse yet beat me! The number of lashings I got from that oh so pious man of Boldrei. The cat o’ nine tails’ got nothing on it. Pah! The irony!
As far as my kind goes I’m a tough one though and they soon recognized that. So I was sent to carry water, chop wood, and when I was old enough stand guard at the family gates.

I’m a hard worker and that’s what got me onto my first ship as a deckhand. Before I left I walked into the old man’s room -he’d fallen pretty ill by now looked like he’s going to feed the fish soon- and I said ‘I reject your family and your heath Boldrei couldn’t stop your son from dying, he couldn’t save me from your beatings no matter how hard I prayed and he won’t save you from this either you old bastard’”

Simfair’s face morphed into that of an ancient looking man, his hair seemed to fade into his skull and liver spots sprouted everywhere. Then a second changing: The face’s eyes went matt, its skin faded to grey and for an instant a flash of a grinning skull. Mystiqua shrieked. “Oh me lass” Simfair chuckled “It’s just a parlor trick! Look it’s still me see.” His face faded back to the familiar smooth white consistency a slight smile on the corner of his mouth. This was the most Mystiqua had ever heard him speak. It was true what they said about men talking more when they were happy. She giggled started massaging his back and said “From temple guard to privateer I guess that makes a marooner of sorts Simy! Why does a strong lad like you fly The Devourer’s flag though? Seems so odd to me. A bit out of character”. “Well Mystiqua... if that is your real name. I love the ocean for two reasons. The first being I can walk around as myself -all pale and sunken eyed- and nobody gives a damn and if they do I lob their head off!” He jumped up and swirled around in one fluid motion imaginary sword directed at his las’s neck. “And secondly it gets mighty quiet out there. And that water is dark and deep and cold. I like that. It’s the opposite of all this babbling and politicking here on land. Sometimes at night I stand on the crows nest looking at the cold ocean and think I’d happily drown the whole dragon in it. Oh wouldn’t it be nice to see this whole dirty world get sucked down into a raging maelstrom. To listen to the priests, the politicians, their wives and children scream in vein. Like... like piglets!” Mystiqua pouted disapprovingly.

“Didn’t madam teach you not to ask questions that you don’t really want to know the answer to? But all I really want from The Devourer is to give me an eternity of silence and to swallow me into his depths one day far far away from all those faces... Those gods damned faces. Oh my I’m swinging the lead! The ships setting in an hour!” 

Simfair hurriedly donned his blackened armor, checked his rapier and dropped a pouch of doubloons on the night table before he left. Mystiqua sighed and fell back into her pillows. Walking down the spiraling stairs of the sultry establishment his sea green hair slowly went black and facial features sharpened and darkened. His port face Simfair called it. 

A beggar approached him holding a screaming blind child in his arm “Elms! Elms for the poor! In the name of the Host I beg of you!” Changelings know a thing or two about the beggars guild and it wouldn’t have surprised Sim if the old bastard had taken the child's eye light himself. “Your gods are dead old man. Be happy I don’t throw that stolen baby of yours into the sea.”

Me Jolly Character Sheet

Simfair “The Maelstorm” Surehand.

The only thing colder than men is the sea floor. So I became the sea floor. Now I hate everything I don’t love. Devourer grant me a stillness of the abyss so that can rest at last. Oh did I frighten you? Rahaha belay those words me boy you know I'm a picaroon at heart!

1-1.png
    2-1.png
    3-2.png
    4-1.png
    5-1.png
    6-1.png
    7-1.png

Appearance and mannerisms

Simfair is unusually well built for a changeling. He prefers his changeling form and makes no secret of it in when at sea. His hair is long and flowing and has a touch of pail green.
    Simfair rarely speaks but when he speaks he really speaks. It's what has earned him the nickname "The Thinker". His monologues tend to charm his listeners or reveal his grim point of view on things. Mostly both. His tasks on board usually include the heavy lifting side of things, watches and defending the deck. He dislikes navigating and captaining.

Haven't played a PbP here before. Not sure on my theme yet.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Strikers are usually not in demand, so my three characters are up to fill the remaining roles. Here is my 3rd entry, a controller.

Aristotle, Elf Wizard Noble
    Elf, Wizard
    Arcane Implement Mastery Option: Orb of Deception
    Occupation - Scholar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 19, WIS 14, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 10, CON 11, DEX 12, INT 17, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 14 Fort: 10 Ref: 14 Will: 14
    HP: 21 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +9, Diplomacy +5, History +9, Nature +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +2, Athletics +0, Bluff +0, Dungeoneering +2, Endurance +0, Heal +2, Insight +2, Intimidate +0, Perception +4, Religion +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise +0, Thievery +2

POWERS
    Elf Racial Power: Elven Accuracy
    Orb of Deception Power: Orb of Deception
    Wizard Utility: Ghost Sound
    Wizard Utility: Light
    Wizard Utility: Mage Hand
    Wizard Utility: Prestidigitation
    Wizard Attack 1: Slimy Transmutation
    Wizard Attack 1: Hypnotism
    Wizard Attack 1: Stone Blood
    Wizard Attack 1: Spirit Rend
    Wizard Attack 1: Leaden Transformation
    Wizard Attack 1: Sleep
    Starting Feature: Noble's Presence - Encounter; Close Burst, One or two allies in burst shifts 2 squares and gains +2 power bonus to all defenses until EONT.

FEATS
    Level 1: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Expanded Spellbook

ITEMS
    Spellbook
    Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Orb Implement x1
    ====== End ======

Background
    Aristotle was raised as a wealthy son of an enchanted arms and armor merchant. His father making several pounds of gold coin during the Last War supplying enchanted arms to both sides, although how he acquired these arms is still a mystery. Once Aristotle reached the age of higher learning, and the war had ended, he was sent to the prestigious Wynarn University to study the arcane. Wynarn had a very diverse range of professors, ranging from Human, to Elf, to Orc, even to Kobold. However, Aristotle felt that being "taught" by (in his mind) lesser races was a disgrace to his heritage and to his magical prowess, which finally bubbled over into a confrontation in a hall between himself and four half-orc students. Unfortunately, Aristotle's large mouth did little to save him from the beating he took from the four. He was expelled from Wynarn for such a disturbance and his blatant racism, and instead of returning home, he fled his father and joined a merchant ship expedition in hopes that if his father came looking for him, or sent someone else to, he wouldn't find his son stowing away on a merchant's vessel.

Appearance
    Aristotle stands at a rather average 5'9. He carries with him a fine looking, albeit not all to powerful, wand. His clothing betrays him, revealing his wealthy upbringing, with the bright oranges and dark greens of his satchels. His hair is bright red, tied neatly into a ponytail on the back of his head. His build is that of a bookworm, not athletic, but not overweight, simply an average youth.

Mannerisms
    Aristotle seems to avoid those on the crew he finds inferior, but is mostly pleasant otherwise. He spends most of his time on the deck, watching the waves go by and lending a helping hand whenever he can. There have been some instances of him playing tricks on the crew, mind controlling someone to fall down some stairs or punch someone, but he has yet to be caught for these actions.

Picture
    85437.jpg

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Bulm Blodned: Sorry to say, but I can't really see myself fitting that into the game at all. It's a neat idea though.

Yeah, I sort of knew that. :) But I got a weird urge to try and make a frogman work, and I liked the idea that a seer would be ostracized from a community of super-paranoid frogmen. I do think it's nuts how much of the shaft they get race-wise compared to the other monsters playable from MM2.

Lots of really cool characters from everybody so far.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I always feel weird playing 4th edition, because with most games, I'll see the rules, get five different ideas for characters I want to play, and then have trouble choosing.

With 4th edition, I pretty much always want to play a controller. Occasionally, a leader, but I really have little to no interest in strikers or defenders.

Thanatos on