As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Young Justice was Better Thread

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    Your complaints seem petty and insignificant. Especially compared to how good Teen Titans is.

In fact, you both come off rather... uh... fanboyish.

How many times do I have to say that I love Teen Titans and the book, in and of itself, is fan-fucking-tastic.

But taken into context with Young Justice, there are obvious mistakes that were made.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    I mean, fuck, Teen Titans is the book I get most excited about each month

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You should be proud that your devotion to Young Justice caused me to spend a good deal of money on the Graduation Day singles... and that, if I ever fucking find a YJ trade, I have every intention of purchasing it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What issues does McKeever take over? I am going to add to my pull list starting with that issue because fuck I hate jumping in on new arcs.

Or, better yet, how many issues into the current arc is it so I can just pick up all those and just keep plowing ahead?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    the one trade was like $200+ on Amazon for a while

I saw it at the one comic shop I go to (the first time I went) for $20. I was like "fucking right I will pick you up" and bought it and Sins of Youth

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Your complaints seem petty and insignificant. Especially compared to how good Teen Titans is.

because characters that we liked were completely changed or discarded without explanations?

that's whats petty, if you ask me

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    What issues does McKeever take over? I am going to add to my pull list starting with that issue because fuck I hate jumping in on new arcs.

Or, better yet, how many issues into the current arc is it so I can just pick up all those and just keep plowing ahead?

The issue last week was a Countdown tie-in

but really, just wait until McKeever's run which starts with #50 (August 29th)

Adam Beechen is so fucking bad at writing dialogue

his stories themselves aren't bad

but man, it's like he takes every cliché he can think of for how people speak.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

The current arc just started, but its a Countdown/Amazons Attack tie-in written by Adam Beechen. I'd say its probably best just to wait a couple extra months and jump in on issue #50. Maybe use that time to read some of the back-trades of the Johns issues.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

because characters that we liked were completely changed or discarded without explanations?

that's whats petty, if you ask me

You can hardly say that Bart changed without explanation... Superboy too, really. I mean, you may not agree with it, but they sure as hell explained it.

Bart: Upset that Wally doesn't take him seriously... then his knee gets blown out, but I still can't remember if he got all angsty before that or not.

Superboy: Found out that half his DNA came from one of the most diabolical super-villians on the planet.

I mean, complain about it if you want, but they at least attempted to justify it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Look, I don't hate Teen Titans. For what it is, it's a great book.

Also, I was talking more about Cassie and the whole "let's ignore the fact that she has a best friend whose stuck with her through thick and thin" thing.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »

The current arc just started, but its a Countdown/Amazons Attack tie-in written by Adam Beechen. I'd say its probably best just to wait a couple extra months and jump in on issue #50. Maybe use that time to read some of the back-trades of the Johns issues.

I am picking up so many trades of Johns stuff it's not funny because fuck I got two of his Flash trades and I need the whole story.

But yes, will do.

Considering the only Teen Titans I have is the crossover with the X-Men.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bart was mopey before the kneecap, but I think alot of it had to do with all of them still grieving for Donna, and then the kneecap thing happens like in issue 3 or 4.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Superboy: Found out that half his DNA came from one of the most diabolical super-villians on the planet.

That whole thing was stupid

Not that he had Lex's DNA, that's actually pretty cool.

But the whole "oh no Lex is evil so I'm going to be evil!"

shit, look at Spoiler

wait, she's dead

shit, look at Batgirl

wait, fuck

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    well this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but this is a really cool interview I found regarding the tv series: http://www.titanstower.com/source/animated/behindglens12345.html

it's probably really really old news and all (it was done before the tokyo movies came out) but it's a pretty interesting read on how they adapted the titans for a kid's show.

Guek on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Teen Titans was a great hit-or-miss cartoon. The misses were bleh and boring but the hits were fantastic episodes.

I would still like some fucking closure though.

Furu on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So if someone took over JSA and made Wildcat gay, Courtney suicidal, and Jay Garrick a pedophile, you would have no problem?

Yeah that's not a gross exaggeration.
    Furu wrote: »
    Teen Titans was a great hit-or-miss cartoon. The misses were bleh and boring but the hits were fantastic episodes.

I just hope that if the Judas Contract dvd movie ends up being a big hit, we can get something else from the Titans cartoon wise. With Wolfman writing and Perez workin' the lines, I'd be in heaven.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    So if someone took over JSA and made Wildcat gay, Courtney suicidal, and Jay Garrick a pedophile, you would have no problem?

Yeah that's not a gross exaggeration.
    Furu wrote: »

I just hope that if the Judas Contract dvd movie ends up being a big hit, we can get something else from the Titans cartoon wise. With Wolfman writing and Perez workin' the lines, I'd be in heaven.
    And completely writing off, no not writing off, just ignoring, a key supporting character isn't?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    cissie and mia should fight

but then, since they're GIRLS, they'd end up being BEST FRIENDS

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I don't see Perez's style working well animated

Shit, Superman: Doomsday looks like it's pretty much just Timm's style

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I think it could be pulled off well. Granted, oddly contortioned facial expressions, random falls and giant sweat/tear drops on the head wouldn't really fit with it...

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I think it could be pulled off well. Granted, oddly contortioned facial expressions, random falls and giant sweat/tear drops on the head wouldn't really fit with it...

It's detailed too much. It'd cost a lot of money to animate it properly

and since the money isn't there, I can't see it getting done right

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    WB Animation has been ran by fuckheads since 2005. Their incompetence leading to a downsizing isn't surprising.

Furu on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I just hope that once McKeever starts writing for the book he starts focusing more on the new Teen Titans and less on Wolfman's Titans.

Now that the cartoon series is gone there is no need to have Nightwing come to the rescue (along with every superhero who has ever called their self a Titan) whenever an old super villian from the past shows up.

"Oh no!!! It's Slade lets get Nightwing and everyone who was ever a Teen Titan to pose on a cliff and look all intiminating."

Seriously, wasn't the whole appeal of TT suppose to be having a team of "teenage" super heroes saving the day without all these adult super heroes popping up to bail them out in every story arc.

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    when Tim kicked Jason in the balls this issue

it was so fucking dumb

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, remember when the Red Hood used to kill people? It's nice to know that people are just letting him roam the streets now, and that he's mellowed out enough to take a blow to the junk in stride.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    he's pretty much the Punisher now

really

i wouldn't have minded 22 pages of Nightwing and Robin kicking the shit out of Jason

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I agree with the not needing every titan ever bit... I mean, I know they are trying to show that being a Titan is important, and a legacy, but it really is almost every issue now. And Nightwing has been so diluted and meh in his own book and Outsiders, that he really means nothing to me now.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    i want to go to Wizard World Philadelphia and beat up Marv Wolfman so that he can't write and then DC will have to have Andreyko write Nightwing

I mean, Wolfman's Nightwing isn't bad

but the Annual was fucking terrific

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I did like the Annual. And you're right, Nightwing isn't bad, per se...

my issue with Nightwing was that he's been built up into being the heart and soul of the younger generation... so much so that killing him in IC would have been devastating, so they opted not to... or something...

Just that whole conversation between Bats and Supes E-1 from IC... is your Nightwing as good as mine... in my mind, someone like that is truly someone special... but he's not written like that in anything... so I find it disappointing.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Tank wrote: »
    I just hope that once McKeever starts writing for the book he starts focusing more on the new Teen Titans and less on Wolfman's Titans.

Now that the cartoon series is gone there is no need to have Nightwing come to the rescue (along with every superhero who has ever called their self a Titan) whenever an old super villian from the past shows up.

"Oh no!!! It's Slade lets get Nightwing and everyone who was ever a Teen Titan to pose on a cliff and look all intiminating."

Seriously, wasn't the whole appeal of TT suppose to be having a team of "teenage" super heroes saving the day without all these adult super heroes popping up to bail them out in every story arc.

Wha?

Nightwing was in one episode. For about five minutes.

Furu on
  • Options
    altlat55altlat55 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I believe they are saying he doesn't need to show up in the book now that the cartoon show isn't running anymore. I don't read Teen Titans so I can't say for sure.

altlat55 on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    That is what was said.. Furu's point was that that reason makes no sense because Nightwing has almost nothing to do with the cartoon.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    That is what was said.. Furu's point was that that reason makes no sense because Nightwing has almost nothing to do with the cartoon.

Though it's not too out there to assume the cartoon influenced the comic. Hell, I think the writers specifically put Raven and Beast Boy together just to piss off the overzealous fans.
    And though it might be reading too much into it, the last issue of TT is kind of an homage to the show, as across the back is Cyborg, Beast Boy, Raven, and "cute ditzy alien girl"(Miss Martian, but still)

Might just be how the dice fell, considering Robin and Nightwing are both off to the side.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fuck yeah Todd Nauck

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    for the longest time I thought it was "Nuack"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There was once a vampiric version of David Hasselhoff named Nightrider on the Teen Titans roster?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    There was once a vampiric version of David Hasselhoff named Nightrider on the Teen Titans roster?

I don't know, "Nightrider" on Wiki just leads me to a page about chess.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Reserectioning this thread -

Talking Tiny Titans

Look...Speedy has a lil boxing glove arrow.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    causing trouble!

Garlic Bread on