As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 2011] NINTENDO - Post-keynote wrap-up and discussion here!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    reVerse wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    The multiplatform games they showed are good but there's still a notable lack of support from companies like Bioware

They have EA's support and EA owns Bioware. Hell, there was even a picture of Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 among their many franchises when Riccitiello was on stage.

Yeah, Wii had EA support too.

I'm sure if you strain your thinkbox reeeeeal hard, you can figure out why games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age never appeared on the Wii.

Hint: It's a fucking Gamecube with waggle.

I'm also thinking about the kind of third party support Gamecube got. Why didn't a lot of multiplatform games appear on that?

Oh yeah, that's right, because it had nothing to do with power. Golly gee, maybe third parties always have excuses to not work with Nintendo?

Um... a lot of third party ports DID appear on the Gamecube.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mario Party for the WiiU could be the only game you'll ever need. Imagine the mini game possibilities?

The sad part? Imagine the mini game shovelware that's going to come out for this console. Christ.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel like I watched a different conference than most people on the internet. So much bitterness and man baby crying.

It's still at least a year out, there's time for stuff to be revealed.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    Why is NeoGAF full of retards?

You are just figuring this out? :)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'll wait for specs and media size before judging. Looks promising though.

scaled.php?tn=0&server=616&filename=b16s.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

Figgy on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    do we know if the backwards compatibility extends back to the gamecube since the Wii does?

I'm not seeing a place on that console for a GC controller; maybe it can just use the WiiU controller since it has all the required buttons?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Wired has a hands-on already. Interesting stuff.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/06/nintendo-controller-hands-on/

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was honestly expecting to be much more impressed, figured having better graphics than the 5+ year old 360 would be no problem.

Don't need another 360 so meh.

Cool that this gen will last longer. Surprised that Sony or Microsoft didn't preview whatever comes next to make this look even more stale.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    Why is NeoGAF full of retards?

I didn't know that place existed until a few months ago but from what I've seen it is full of videogame bloggers trying to get a job in game journalism.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    do we know if the backwards compatibility extends back to the gamecube since the Wii does?

I'm not seeing a place on that console for a GC controller; maybe it can just use the WiiU controller since it has all the required buttons?

That spec sheet says "Wii games," so I would say no.

Sounds like the drive takes regular sized discs only.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Reggie just confirmed (on GTTV) the WiiU controller has a single-touch screen, not multitouch.
    Seriously? This is one area they really need to forget about cost.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Count me as pretty underwhelmed. WiiU sounds like a derogatory nickname for your rival university.

I mean, I can certainly see possibilities for the tech. The gun+touchscreen concept, for example, looks pretty cool -- I can imagine a F.E.A.R.-type game taking wicked advantage of that (visuals on the screen, 1:1 motion controls with the gun (?), surround sound from your home theater).

But I dunno, I wish they had SOMETHING to get me excited about the technology. Like WiiSports did for the Wii, you know? Right now I'm more excited by the Vita... I can see myself just sticking with the 360 and 3DS for now and grabbing the Vita next year; seems like that would be the best bang for my buck as far as hardware/exclusives are concerned.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It seems like a home console version of a DS. Main screen would be your TV, secondary touch screen would just be in the palm of your hands now? Honestly it looks pretty cool, but the fucking press conference was a giant failure to explain what the hell it was.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm waaaay skeptical. I'm skeptical about that durn controller because it is going to be pretty gimmicky to have a game with stuff on that screen but no moment to look down at it without missing something. If it's the touchscreen portions we care about, maybe we'll get inventory management in RPGs, but I dunno, reeks of gimmick to me.

I also am skeptical of how Nintendo supports online play. At this point of sloughing it off, can they even hope to create what xbox live and PSN have?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Was honestly expecting to be much more impressed, figured having better graphics than the 5+ year old 360 would be no problem.

Don't need another 360 so meh.

Cool that this gen will last longer. Surprised that Sony or Microsoft didn't preview whatever comes next to make this look even more stale.

Microsoft has Kinect to push and after all they money they spent to get that thing out the door they want to turn people off by upgrading to a new system.

Sony has 3D TVs to sell. They don't want to compete with themsleves on what people upgrade first. The console or the TV?

Algertman on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    I'll wait for specs and media size before judging. Looks promising though.
    scaled.php?tn=0&server=616&filename=b16s.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

I saw that. I meant hard numbers. They really should just get a BluRay Drive..

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Reggie just confirmed (on GTTV) the WiiU controller has a single-touch screen, not multitouch.

Yep. Also, 1080p confirmed by Reggie. They're still chatting, too, it's a nice interview. He says "obviously needs to have a significant capacity to play HD games...it will not be bluray."

In addition: Link's Awakening DX is on the eShop right now.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Very general picture of specs

This doesn't really tell us how it matches up to the existing HD consoles or how the online works.

Is it better or worse than the existing models? How much RAM does it have? What kind of video card?

The online part is very frightening given Nintendo's history.

That and the price of that beast of a controller. If I want a second to play with, how much is it? Or should I feel privileged to just have one?

And if I don't need a second one, what's the point.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    According to GTTV we'll be getting online info in the next day or two, as well!

Anzekay on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just.. ugh. I really don't like the WiiU controller. I do understand them not focusing on the console aspect of the new system, given that they don't have a definite look for it yet, but they should have at least shown it other than in the background of some pictures. I really did think it was just a new controller add on for the Wii for quite a bit of the presentation. But yea. I dunno, having some games months after the other systems get them isn't really that impressive. And while the graphics are better than the Wii, they're only really on par with the other current gen systems.

And I guess no more love for DS lite now. At least we still get Devil Survivor 2 on it next year. That and I think a Kirby game is still in the works for DS.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I love how few people react to Nintendo that isn't strongly one way or the other. Nintendo has a talent for that. They either get you to love them or you fucking hate them. The reactions I'm seeing are hilarious.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It seems like this thing is hella early. Like Nintendo just wanted to get the idea out there now, and we won't be seeing any actual games or whatever until next E3 with a launch date of holiday 2012.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    It seems like this thing is hella early. Like Nintendo just wanted to get the idea out there now, and we won't be seeing any actual games or whatever until next E3 with a launch date of holiday 2012.

There's a reason for that. Remember when the Wii was announced at E3? That was when third parties first found out about it too... and they had no time to really develop games for launch. And for most of them, their idea of "catching up" was "farting out minigames." So Nintendo's trying to do a better job of getting third parties ready this time.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Help me out here

Without multitouch, developers won't be able to make games that ________, such as _________

Or is it a question of precision; are multi's more accurate?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

If that was the intent, to just get devs crackin' on making stuff, then mission accomplished I guess. The first step is always mediocre.

Henroid on
  • Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My hands are cramping up just looking at that controller--no curves or contours to speak of, and it makes the original XBOX controller look like it was made for tiny baby men. I really hope it undergoes a serious redesign between now and release.

Rollsavager on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    I love how few people react to Nintendo that isn't strongly one way or the other. Nintendo has a talent for that. They either get you to love them or you fucking hate them. The reactions I'm seeing are hilarious.

Sometimes it's a bit of both!

I loved Nintendo back in the '64 days but since then they just don't seem to be able to cast a boner-spell on me whatever they do.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Skyward Sword looked awesome, but it was the only Wii game shown. No Pandora's Tower, Last Story, or Xenoblade, which is hugely disappointing, but also shows to me that the Wii is all but dead. Maybe something will be shown on the floor to change my mind, though.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Help me out here

Without multitouch, developers won't be able to make games that take advantage of iPhone style controls, such as pinch/stretch, which could lead to very interesting gameplay.

Fawst on
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Wii U controller will allow me to play games like Battlefield 3 while taking a poop.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm kind of sad that aside from SS, my Wii appears to be dead =(

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Fawst wrote: »

Help me out here

Without multitouch, developers won't be able to make games that take advantage of iPhone style controls, such as pinch/stretch, which could lead to very interesting gameplay.

I dunno, the vast majority of games on my iPhone don't use multitouch.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Help me out here

Without multitouch, developers won't be able to make games that ________, such as _________

You couldn't do something like, say, a piano where you press multiple notes at once to form a cord. Another example would be something like pinching your fingers close or apart to change the zoom level.

I don't know how necessary it would be for most game applications, but I do think it would be beneficial.

Edit: To be fair, I'm not really clear on what the cost difference would be here. If it's not a huge difference (~$10-20ish range?), I don't see why you wouldn't do it.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is Nintendo, pushing the boundaries of gaming, but hamstringing themselves unnecessarily. I'm not saying that multi-touch is a dealbreaker, or that it's required, but it sure as hell couldn't HURT. Besides, have you ever tried touching a single-touch pad on a laptop in two areas at once? It goes bonkers. How will they handle that on this?

Fawst on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fawst wrote: »

Help me out here

That's the only thing I could think of. Like for a map, maybe.

None of the games on my phone really use it, so I'm having trouble imagining a really cool use of the feature.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will admit that while the concept gave me a WTF face when he first started talking, the moment they showed that clip from Colonial Marines my mind starting, just... imagining what they could do.

So many possibilities popped into my head, from simple stuff like keeping the radar on the controller, to playing Fatal Frame with this thing, to Pac-Man vs, to full-screen HD games with no HUD whatsoever. Even stuff unrelated to the game at hand, like being able to play a separate title while waiting in a lobby. Maybe you can play training mode while waiting in Street Fighter. Maybe an RTS on the WiiU controller screen, and selecting an individual unit will let you throw an FPS view up on the big screen. And as with any new system I imagine the possibilities if they make an Eternal Darkness sequel.

Dead Space on this thing could be positively nightmarish.

So many ideas, and while I know the vast majority of them will never come to fruition I like to dream that THIS time Nintendo's idea will reach its full potential.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else concerned that Nintendo is releasing a console with "current-gen" graphics 7 years into the cycle? I think there's a chance we'll have Xbox720/PS4 by 2013, and certainly by 2014. At best, the Wii U only has two years of being "current gen" and getting decent 3rd-party support before it falls behind into the land of shovelware again.

Brym on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Call me optimistic or naive... but I'm impressed by the concept and technology.

We just need some concrete hardware specs at this point. Nintendo wants to get an early jump on the competition by releasing something they believe will be able to compete with the next console generation.
    Whether or not they will end up shooting themselves in the foot.... remains to be seen.

If the Wii U is powerful enough to keep up with the Playstation 4/Xbox 720... then they probably made the right move.

The main thing that hurt the Wii was the inability to receive ports of modern HD games.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Help me out here

Play Osmos on your iPhone/iPod Touch. It builds in the multi-touch mechanic pretty well. Most other games exploit the fact that they can emulate several control interfaces because both thumps are working at once, though I don't think that'd be a problem when there're physical controls beside the screen.

I think having a single touch interface might not be that bad, although it might limit some developers.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wii and DS: dead :(

3DS: Nice lineup of Nintendo games. Third party stuff still kind of lacking.

Wii U: Hard to take this name seriously if you've watched Kung Pow. As someone who loves playing games in bed, I applaud Nintendo for catering to my lazy ass.

Moioink on