As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DmC: Devil May Cry - Ignore the OP/outrage, it's pretty damn good.

• Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I'm waiting for people to get their hands on the game and get some real impressions on the combat system. If it's good, I'd be willing to forgive a lot about the game. I hope he ends up a lot closer to classic dante by the end of it though.

Also, damn that's a bad haircut.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hang on... at one point in the trailer, his hair turns white! That means we're supposed to like this game now!
    ...well, so much for that theory.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    McSnugglesMcSnuggles Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Devil Trigger: Instead of turning the player character into a badass devil, it turns their hair to the color it's supposed to be!

McSnuggles on
    360 Gamertag: Mcsnuggles
    371610-1.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hang on... at one point in the trailer, his hair turns white! That means we're supposed to like this game now!
    ...well, so much for that theory.

His jacket also turned completely red at that point instead of being black on the outside and red on the inside. Doesn't really solve much.

Lars on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, looks like it plays like DMC.

And I don't know, after some time to get used to it, I'm glad they decided to try something new.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixCzw9vjek

I really don't like the sides shaved off hairstyle.

And here I like all kinds of things with that trailer. Game looks like it oozes style this time around. I actually enjoy the change in the character this time. Makes him look less like a chick.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When people say "make the character look less girly" they don't mean to turn him into that

Turkey on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't believe that there's a person on this planet that can take DmC and screw it over so royally.
    I mean just copy paste the 3rd or 4th installment if you have no clue.

This is a travesty.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lars wrote: »
    When Capcom Unity posted that trailer in their blog, they referred to the character as Tony Redgrave instead of Dante. Mistake or what? And if it's not a mistake, is Dante using an alias or is it a different character?

I know at one point in the development of the original Devil May Cry (when it was still a Resident Evil game), Dante's name was Tony Redgrave. And then later on in development Dante was going to have two partners (a male and a female, the male being named Tony Redgrave according to the artbook). And his guns say "For Tony Redgrave" on them.

Edit: Of course, even if that is a separate character and not Dante, it's still a character I have no real interest in playing or caring about.
    You know, come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Ninja Theory is pulling for Dante to have been born as a guy named Tony Redgrave, who goes Batman and assumes the Dante identity after his mother dies. As in, I am the person who treks through hell to find [loved one]. Would also make the whole "WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" "My name is Dante" thing from the reveal trailer make some sense. I don't know. Maybe that could be kind of interesting if played right, but it doesn't at all jive with the tone of the series.

Anyway, that trailer looks poor in a way that I didn't really expect. I mean, DMC4 was a great looking game. Ninja Theory's games so far have been pretty good looking games. This looks rough. The gameplay I don't know what to make of yet. Those are at least DMC moves, but I still have my doubts as to whether they can make this as snappy and fluid as a DMC game should be.
    Oh Jesus, who would have thought the hardcore fandom would look back to DMC4 like it was the good old days. :lol
    DMC4 is great. You shut your mouth.

Monger on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Hey, looks like it plays like DMC.

And I don't know, after some time to get used to it, I'm glad they decided to try something new.

Pretty much my opinion as well. The gameplay looks pretty similar to the past games so I'm not too worried at this point.

Slicer on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've never been a fan of the DMC stuff, but holy crap is that some awful shit to display as a trailer for a new game. It looks like something from the end of the PS2 days, not to mention the atrociously dull art style. My sympathies for fans of the series.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I actually like what I'm seeing.

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    Oh Jesus, who would have thought the hardcore fandom would look back to DMC4 like it was the good old days. :lol
    DMC4 is great. You shut your mouth.

DMC4 had serious issues with repetitive environments and bosses. I don't think a game has done worse on those points since it. But the combat was fantastic. I was willing to overlook its faults for that.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh yay. Glitch mob in the trailer.

Good for glitch mob.

Too many camera cuts, they shoulda just taken a nod from combo videos and just had him do some sick combos. It looks like there might be...gameplay there.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else get a DMC2 vibe off that?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dante is Tony Redgrave btw.

Also yeah still not buying this Capcom.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree that this is a bad trailer, but I'm digging the art design and the reimagining of Dante. Ninja Theory make beautiful games...I'm not sweating it. I don't think the assets used in the trailer were ready for prime time, they should have held back until they could put together something more head turning.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's interesting, but the only thing that matters is the combat.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The special attack effects are a step back from DMC4, even from DMC 3 if you disregard the lower resolution.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixCzw9vjek

I really don't like the sides shaved off hairstyle.

And here I like all kinds of things with that trailer. Game looks like it oozes style this time around. I actually enjoy the change in the character this time. Makes him look less like a chick.

What the fuck? Did I just see white haired dante for a few seconds in that trailer? During one of the "reality shifts" you can see him kicking ass in place of the lead developer's mary sue insert.

Also, still not buying this. Someone needs to repost the comparison picture showing one of the lead devs and the new "Dante's" face. They look exactly fucking alike.

Edit: Re-watching it, it seems they're at least aware of the distaste alot of folks have for this reboot. The graffiti saying "Don't accept the world as it is, as such". Maybe they're playing on some sort of reality theme, (Dante stuck in Hell after 2?) but still.

If they want to make a DMC style game, they should do the goddamned DMC setting, not completely trash what's already there, or branch off and do their own thing.

I can't even comprehend how this shit fits into the previous DMC games. I mean hell. We've gotten an origin story (DMC 3), a sort-of "is-he-gone-for-good?" (DMC 2) possible conclusion they could play off of, a "the continuing ass kicking adventures of Dante!" (DMC 1, 4) set of games. Why can't they do something with that? There's plenty of potential there.

Hell, put fucking Nero back in if you're desperate. I'd rather look at him then coke junkie Dante. Dante is what makes DMC awesome. He's a walking talking stereo-type of badass cliches, and he makes it look good (and funny). Without him, this is just another generic hard-as-balls brawler.

Archonex on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They changed his design a LOT to help calm down the fans and even though Ninja Theory is still bound by Capcom to keep the design different, they do appear to be listening. Remember, Capcom TOLD them to change Dante, so there's no real reason to get too angry.

The actual gameplay looks good, but Ninja Theory has a reputation of having shallow as fuck mechanics so I'm going to reserve my hype, but at least I don't want to punch small children now.

EDIT: They changed his hair and face so the mary sue insert crap doesn't apply anymore. You're just hating just to shit the thread up at this point.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tony Redgrave is an alias Dante used in the novels.

Think it's pretty obvious the alternate reality stuff going on equates to this being Dante in some kind of Matrix-y thing and not knowing he's Dante.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    fuck, double post

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    They changed his design a LOT to help calm down the fans and even though Ninja Theory is still bound by Capcom to keep the design different, they do appear to be listening. Remember, Capcom TOLD them to change Dante, so there's no real reason to get too angry.

The actual gameplay looks good, but Ninja Theory has a reputation of having shallow as fuck mechanics so I'm going to reserve my hype, but at least I don't want to punch small children now.

EDIT: They changed his hair and face so the mary sue insert crap doesn't apply anymore. You're just hating just to shit the thread up at this point.

Um... he's got the same face he does in the reveal.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Devil May Cry is supposed to be a tounge in cheek parody. That's vital to the entire feel of the game if I wanted brooding loner with sword I'd play Ninja Gaiden

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only thing that I found vaguely interesting about that trailer was the part where crap-Dante apparently Devil Triggers into normal-Dante. The gameplay looks like a pale imitation of 3 and 4, to be honest.

I mean, I'm hoping that the final product is excellent, but I'm not exactly optimistic.

Burnage on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Parody"?

You're kidding, right

Furu on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Devil May Cry is supposed to be a tounge in cheek parody. That's vital to the entire feel of the game if I wanted brooding loner with sword I'd play Ninja Gaiden

I dunno, I've always felt the only thing about DmC that let it get away with being so stupid was that there was fundamentally an incredibly deep combat system lurking under it. The "kerazy" antics were moderately amusing but hardly essential to what was essentially a game that revolved around mastery.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Negative sir, he doesn't look like a meth head.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    "Parody"?

You're kidding, right

Are you?

If you watch Dante for more than a minute in most DMC games he's a cocky son of a bitch he tells purposefully bad jokes and he relishes it. Fuck in 3 They made him a ninja turtle.

He's purposefully over the top and every game pokes fun at the genre whenever it can.

Admittedly 2 is bad about this but 2 is bad about everything.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm... Actual gameplay at long last.

It looks pretty rough, but that's to be expected given that it's still early days. Otherwise, it's showing some promise. Put me down for cautiously optimistic.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011

I dunno, I've always felt the only thing about DmC that let it get away with being so stupid was that there was fundamentally an incredibly deep combat system lurking under it. The "kerazy" antics were moderately amusing but hardly essential to what was essentially a game that revolved around mastery.

Dante's antics are the only thing keeping the world of DMC from being very boring. I mean, go look at the level design of DMC3. You kind of needed Dante to balance out the gray and brownness of it.
    "Parody"?

You're kidding, right

Are you?

If you watch Dante for more than a minute in most DMC games he's a cocky son of a bitch he tells purposefully bad jokes and he relishes it. Fuck in 3 They made him a ninja turtle.

He's purposefully over the top and every game pokes fun at the genre whenever it can.

Are we talking even DMC1? Because at that point there's nothing to parody. It kind of started its own genre. I never played DMC1 because I've never owned a playstation console. Having played 3 and 4 I assumed it was poking fun at itself for whatever reason.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

See. I have to disagree there. Dante is part of the charm of DMC. The game is basically a Ninja Gaiden type game without him there to provide the laughs and badassery. Sure, I can pull off stylish attacks. But the reason you're pulling off those stylish attacks in the first place is that Dante is essentially an invincible dick.

I mean, imagine if Dante spent all of 3 being a grim-dark silent protaganist instead of actually quipping and making fun of everything. It would have ruined the feel of it, since part of the storyline is that Dante's just sort of going along with the ride for most of the story (See, surfing a motherfucking rocket from a rocket launcher.), and having the time of his life.

Also, to the guy who claimed I was thread shitting, way to go not reading my post buddy. If you think i'm alone in my complaints, go check out the youtube comments, or pretty much any comments from folks who've played since at least 3.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Negative sir, he doesn't look like a meth head.

....no, he still kinda looks like a methhead. I mean sure, it doesn't have the cracked-out lighting of the concept shots, but near as I can tell he hasn't changed a bit.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Its honestly probably 50\50. Sloppy controls with tons of quirk would suck and a game tight as spandex with no personality would be boring as hell

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Barrabas wrote: »

Dante's antics are the only thing keeping the world of DMC from being very boring. I mean, go look at the level design of DMC3. You kind of needed Dante to balance out the gray and brownness of it.
    "Parody"?

You're kidding, right

Are you?

Are we talking even DMC1? Because at that point there's nothing to parody. It kind of started its own genre. I never played DMC1 because I've never owned a playstation console. Having played 3 and 4 I assumed it was poking fun at itself for whatever reason.

1 I always felt was a parody of anime and super serious games on the whole. Before Dante there weren't many characters who had conversations with a boss let alone banter. But yeah 3 and 4 really go to town with it.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The character design has definitely changed. He seems to have put on about 30 pounds for one.

And the face does look different, but it's hard to tell how much. It's not like the trailer shows a clear shot of his face.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    The character design has definitely changed. He seems to have put on about 30 pounds for one.

And the face does look different, but it's hard to tell how much. It's not like the trailer shows a clear shot of his face.

When you probably weigh in at 90lbs initially an extra 30 doesn't do much. :P

I mean, call me crazy (with a K) but they've even tweaked his outfit to accentuate his skinniness. In the original reveal his trousers were baggier. Now he's wearing skinny-jeans.

Edit: Ugh, just took another look at those screenshots on the previous page. Wow this looks really... Really ugly. Like I know we're at the point where screenshots are starting to not do justice to a game when it's running at full-chug, but this is, well, let's just say the textures look shoddy.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    See. I have to disagree there. Dante is part of the charm of DMC. The game is basically a Ninja Gaiden type game without him there to provide the laughs and badassery.

You mean that Nina Gaiden is a Devil May Cry type game without Dante there to provide laughs and badassery, right?
    Also, to the guy who claimed I was thread shitting, way to go not reading my post buddy. If you think i'm alone in my complaints, go check out the youtube comments, or pretty much any comments from folks who've played since at least 3.
    I have, and I've played and beaten every DMC game, and own a second copy of DMC 3 and 4 for PC so I can play on the go. I loves me some DMC, but I'm also not a blind fanboy. You guys are crying because Dante isn't Dante. Boo fucking hoo, grow up kiddos, welcome to the wonderful world of the damage Keiji Inafune was doing before he quit Capcom.

Yes, it's not Dante, but it's also not supposed to be since it's not part of the actual main Devil May Cry franchise. Capcom has said this numerous times and that there's a damn good chance of a proper Devil May Cry 5 coming.

Make no mistake, I am very concerned about this game and do not trust the devs, but they do appear to be making changes to do what they can to appease the fans and yet still do what Capcom wants. Ninja Theory's games are infamous for having terrible gameplay mechanics and bad pacing and I am still very doubtful of DMC being a good game but I am not nearly as mad as I was during the initial reveal.

Prior sections bolded since I know nerdraging fanboys have a hard time reading entire posts.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png