As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terraria! Soon with: Criticals! Inventory Management! FAQ: Its a DEMON ALTAR dammit!

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kind of finished one of my big projects
    B466CB54199587ED18D2D32D8313F3091DD0F222
    7D098F851FE4EB2C6CADE11AA0E0DE599644F5A3

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jesus.Fucking.Christ.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Kind of finished one of my big projects
    B466CB54199587ED18D2D32D8313F3091DD0F222
    7D098F851FE4EB2C6CADE11AA0E0DE599644F5A3

Pretty. Is that on DC's server?

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
    edited June 2011
    Since I don't want it to get dynamited, no.

There are something like 7000 dirt wall tiles used there.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd say 'good work' since you have a knack for glazing over compliments.

But, y'know. Good work. :)

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trees within trees! Trees all the way down!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Arioch25Arioch25 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome.

Arioch25 on
    edited June 2011
    Since I don't want it to get dynamited, no.

You're letting the terrorists win.

ColorlessGreen on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    new thread time? neat. what do sunglasses do?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Absolutely fucking nothing, they don't even give defense.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    new thread time? neat. what do sunglasses do?

make your guy look cool.

Make the sun wear "deal with it" shades.

Absolutely fucking nothing, they don't even give defense.
    Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1275684729

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • zombiechronzombiechron Zebesian Mind Smuggler Miskatonic UniveristyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have almost finished my airship/moving castle.
    04E2C42C23A9E9D89B94969B35684CE1560BCC85

E105FAE7B1520D689C49B6863AA2FBEAB1D89C50

zombiechron on
    ZILTOID
    edited June 2011
    The top slopes more like a mushroom than a tree so I'm not actually that happy with it. But on the basis of being unable to see the top and bottom at the same time because it's so large I can't be bothered to modify it.

Is it possible to grow those big mushrooms underground? The huge ones that are more like trees.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Is it possible to grow those big mushrooms underground? The huge ones that are more like trees.

I read somewhere that they don't ever grow back after you cut them down, and I have never seen one grow in any of my mushroom farms. I haven't seen anything I would consider definitive proof that it can't happen, but the rumor plus personal experience has led me to not do anything that would require growing new gigantic mushrooms.

Seems like the kind of thing that might eventually be patched in, though.

ColorlessGreen on
    edited June 2011
    I've tried all sorts of ways to beat the system and grow a tree underground but nothing has worked. Including the new trees grown on corrupted land (and then purified). :(

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    I've tried all sorts of ways to beat the system and grow a tree underground but nothing has worked. Including the new trees grown on corrupted land (and then purified). :(

If your definition of underground includes the pure-dirt layer, dynamite/hammer away all the dirt wall in your area, grow trees, then replace the dirt wall.

ColorlessGreen on
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess I'll have to do that with my interior tower:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/broncbuster/screenshot/560910393773820788?tab=public

Almost done. Even though I keep saying that and expanding it levels.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, drunk with the glory of conquest after defeating the Eye and The World Eater, I challenged Skeletron...
    and managed to do about 100 damage before being mercilessly destroyed. D:

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have almost finished my airship/moving castle.
    04E2C42C23A9E9D89B94969B35684CE1560BCC85

E105FAE7B1520D689C49B6863AA2FBEAB1D89C50

A moving/flying structure would be the best thing ever in this.

Actually, about halfway through that sentence, I had an idea for a PvP mode. Remember the fortress battles in Rocket Slime? I think something that's somewhere between that and Scorched Earth could make for a very interesting mode of play for this.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dynamite launcher scorched earth.

Make it happen Terraria.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited June 2011

If your definition of underground includes the pure-dirt layer, dynamite/hammer away all the dirt wall in your area, grow trees, then replace the dirt wall.

It's for my summer home above hell.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm getting something here... spoilered because it's just public brainstorming. I call it Scorched Terraria.
    Each team has some sort of object they must protect. It could be a crystal, a king, a princess, an alter... whatever. The game begins with each team having nothing but the normal, a copper pick and a copper axe. From the beginning, it's a race to fortify their team object while trying to find the materials to build a cannon. This is meant, mainly, as a time buffer to allow the teams to get a bit of protection around their object. Better quality material provides better protection against the enemy munitions, and the different munitions will have different effects.

Once the first cannon is up (perhaps a limit of three active cannons a team?), players can start loading crafted munitions. The cannons can be aimed, but this will only affect the angle of the shot, the trajectory will always end at the enemy's object. Depending on the type of projectile, different things can happen. The projectile could be more basic, and just attempt to hit the enemy object, causing damage to any fortifications in its path. It could be specialized, slowing enemy cannon fire, acting like grapeshot to attack their defenses, or raining lava on their base to impede progress. Or it could be a bit tricky, acting like a boomerang and swinging behind the enemy, forcing them to think about defending all angles (lower explosive radius?). Heck, why not allow the player to fire an EoC that would just fly around the enemy base for several seconds, looking for players to harass?

Players could also attack the enemy directly. Trying to disrupt their offense, damage their fortifications directly, cause general confusion... but they can't harm the team's object with any normal weapons, only with their cannons.

There'd need to be a few balances here and there. Disallowing building outside of a certain area above ground may work, but it seems that building a wall in the middle of the map should be a valid tactic considering it's an obstacle for both teams. Some munitions could ignore certain materials, such as dirt, mud, and stone. The health powerups underground could remain, and could make things interesting as well, encouraging "class" play.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So how does this fair as a single player experience? Most of my friends are too console bound to care about a PC game or weren't into Minecraft as much as I was. Will I get bored by myself?

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peff wrote: »
    So how does this fair as a single player experience? Most of my friends are too console bound to care about a PC game or weren't into Minecraft as much as I was. Will I get bored by myself?

Short answer, No.

Long answer, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    edited June 2011
    Mighty wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »

Short answer, No.

Long answer, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The difference between SP and MP is basically whether you post screenshots of stuff or say "hey, come over here".

ColorlessGreen on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I keep thinking I'm getting bored, then I find another branch of the chasm I'm digging into and go a whole lot deeper.

Then I get killed by hornets.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm glad this game came out. I suck at Minecraft, but I'm having a blast with this shit.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Ugh. I really need more furniture. It's hard to outfit your tower when you can only stick the same 6 things in every room.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well then...looks like I'm picking this up when I get home tomorrow.

Danke gents (and/or ladies)

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright, so I am really having fun with this. The area around my tower has been explored and now I am working on a digging a deeper mineshaft.

I have not messed with IP addresses and the such for a long time and was looking for some help with multiplayer. I have a friend I want to play with and was wondering what steps we needed to take to connect.

I can mess with stuff on my router but he gets his through his dorm. Does that mean he should connect to me? What do I need to do to set this up?

Thanks a bunch.

Also, what is the best way for a newb to get to a floating island?

Noxy on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got this game, and decided to give it a spin. 3 hours later, I had to pry myself away. Amaaaaaaaazing.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Fonjo, I got multiplayer up and running last night. It was pretty easy, just have the host run ipconfig and check your outward ip-address, that will be the ip of the server. We used the default port (7777) without needing to mess with forwarding, I ran no firewalls.

I'd say just try to host and send him the ip first, if you need to do port forwarding you'll probably have to host on your end because I doubt he'll be able to if he runs it from the dorm uplink.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah, thanks Honk. Which is the outward? I Pv4? That is the one I tried, if it is a different one, I'll give it a shot.

I really need to brush up on my basic networking.

Noxy on
    edited June 2011
    Yep, though it may list one local and one outward.

If you don't get it to work, consider trying with Hamachi (free version works!). Hamachi is my go to when I run into network trouble. Very few games will work in LAN on my home network because I can't set it up correctly, but most work through Hamachi.

Honk on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I jumped back into this yesterday evening for a few minutes, I wanted to see which armour sets I had on my main world.

Fast forward many hours to 3am in the morning............damn it Terraria, not again!

At least I have all the armour sets and Rocket boots now! no goblin invasion yet though......maybe I'll jump on for a few minutes this evening, see if I can get one to spawn..................

atat23 on
    edited June 2011
    I would love if they Steam Cloud activate this.

It not being Steam Cloud with the saves and worlds is both pretty tedious and highly exploitable (infinite materials/objects with copy paste worlds).

Honk on
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What is the usual route you guys take when you first start up? Is there a certain order of things that makes it more fun?

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    edited June 2011
    I dig straight down until death.

Seriously though, if you're just starting up then look around a little for a nice spot during the day and build a basic house there so you don't get eaten by zombies. That's how I start every new world but after that I just dig down until death.

Honk on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I make my starter house with a single room. Then build it out to at least seven rooms, one for each NPC, and one for my crafting and storage items.

Then I will try to walk to both ends of the map and see the sights.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I would love if they Steam Cloud activate this.

It not being Steam Cloud with the saves and worlds is both pretty tedious and highly exploitable (infinite materials/objects with copy paste worlds).

Steam Cloud storage will not stop copy paste worlds. The Steam Cloud works as a backup, not as a principal storage system. A memory editor will do a better, faster job of changing inventory amounts.

The other issue is that it's unlikely to ever happen given the size of the savefiles. All of the games I own that have cloud storage enabled have a maximum storage size of 100Mb, which is roughly the size of one large world and less than two medium worlds.

Fantastication2 on