As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kinect Lighting Question

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
Quick question - I went back 10 pages and didn't see the Kinect thread so I'm hoping this is OK as it's own topic...

I recently moved and went from a naturally lit, open room with lamps to a basement game room with an overhead light (just a typical dome with two bulbs within it). Since then, the Kinect has been spotty in terms of recognition.

I've especially noticed a much grainier look to footage and pics which makes me wonder if maybe it's having a hard time with the lighting of the new space as it looks alot like my laptop webcam when it tries to boost lighting.

Does anyone have any experience with what works best? I'm thinking about maybe taking a bulb out of the overhead and putting a lamp somewhere in the room. Should I be working towards more light/less light/or just more balanced lighting? Does front/side/back lighting matter?

Lindsay Lohan on

• cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't have a kinect, so I can't offer practical advice, but yeah, in terms of digital image recognition - if you don't have a good light source then your imagery becomes more 'noisy' due to the low light enhancement that is being done -> hence the laptop webcam.

Is there a calibration routine you can go through with Kinect? I suggest recalibrating it for the new lighting conditions if you can - It's probably using the 'well-lit' calibration and struggling...

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    cmsamo wrote: »
    I don't have a kinect, so I can't offer practical advice, but yeah, in terms of digital image recognition - if you don't have a good light source then your imagery becomes more 'noisy' due to the low light enhancement that is being done -> hence the laptop webcam.

Is there a calibration routine you can go through with Kinect? I suggest recalibrating it for the new lighting conditions if you can - It's probably using the 'well-lit' calibration and struggling...

Thanks - there is - and I've already done that. It says it can see me, but it still seems really, really wonky at this point. Judging by the greyscale image in the corner of the screen it looks like all the light hitting the top of our heads from the overhead is confusing the system. Maybe I should even try multiple lamps and turn off the overhead altogether...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Balanced light dude, works way better then.

Having said that, I do sometimes game quite close when it's dark purely lit by my aichdee-teevee.

For reference, I have my Kinect positioned on a shelf a foot above and back from the TV - used to have it placed just under the TV. It does make a massive difference to the sensor, floorwork is trickier now, hand and head stuff far more precise.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg