As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: New Thread for 3DS Discussion

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Somebody like Hori needs to put out some little spacers for the 3DS like what Lunker rigged up for his. I get grease marks on my top screen, and while I have a screen protector on there I'd rather not have to worry about it in the first place.

Lunker, what kind of material did you use for your solution? Something easy to buy from somewhere I hope? I'm interested in doing my own solution.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why don't you guys just get a screen protector? The scratches wipe off pretty easilly with one.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bought a screen protector but I hated it, so I took it off. Left the touch screen one on, though, because the texture of the screen protector is smoother for my fingers.

The point is, I shouldn't have to buy a screen protector to protect the system from itself

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I bought a screen protector but I hated it, so I took it off. Left the touch screen one on, though, because the texture of the screen protector is smoother for my fingers.

The point is, I shouldn't have to buy a screen protector to protect the system from itself

Ugh, I can't imagine using my fingers on the touch screen without a protector.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I can see how it could be undesirable, but I've had no problems with mine so far. I took the extra time and patience to install it without getting airbubbles and it looks great. It does dirty up a bit easy, but it's just as easy to wipe it without worrying about scratches.

But I agree that it's kind of an engineering fault that was greatly overlooked.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Side note: I am downloading the 3ds transfer tool on my DSi and I really miss the Mario 2 centric downloading screen.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'll probably regret asking since I'll end up noticing some marks but where is this problem and how is it caused?

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The marks are caused by the bevel around the bottom touch screen coming in contact with the top screen. It creates a kind of letterbox scratch or dirt mark mostly evertime it is opened.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of replacements, I have been wondering whether I should send my system in for a while now. In the top right corner of tough screen half of the system, if I press on it, it creaks and bunches in like if it's hollow. The rest of the system is really solid but that one empty-feeling space is really bugging me. Anybody else encounter something like this?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I haven't been paying close attention, but have they announced anything new in the reasonably near future that will give me an incentive not to sell my 3DS?

Because SSF4 is a great port but doesn't change the fact that I'm terrible at fighting games. And I'm not sure that Zelda, StarFox, the inevitable Mario Kart, and playing the DS back-catalog is enough to justify hanging on to this thing.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    So I haven't been paying close attention, but have they announced anything new in the reasonably near future that will give me an incentive not to sell my 3DS?

Because SSF4 is a great port but doesn't change the fact that I'm terrible at fighting games. And I'm not sure that Zelda, StarFox, the inevitable Mario Kart, and playing the DS back-catalog is enough to justify hanging on to this thing.

Well, here's a list from Nintendo of most of the games headed to the 3DS in some form that we know of.

idhLme.jpg
    idhP2u.jpg
    idmooQ.jpg

So have a look and see if there's anything that would catch your fancy.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I got one of these things
    I didn't get any 3D games for it

I got professor layton instead

but 3D excitebike is kicking serious ass
    and I wish they had points cards in Canada, because I want links awakening and cave story and shantae and a whole bunch of other shit....
    edit: Jesus christ dragons lair give me give me

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So the Shinobi game is a downloadable one? That should make a lot of people happy. Also, I expect TGS to be the place to see a lot of spiffy stuff (like that Tri-Ace game that looked good).

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, that's pretty much the same as the lists I've seen before. Don't see anything there that much interests me and has a semi-definite release date estimate besides what I mentioned before.

I guess I'll just hang on to it for now so I can play old DS games when the mood strikes me, and there's actually a bunch I've always wanted to play and never had the chance that might be available cheaper now. It would be sort of silly to sell my 3DS and buy a DSi again or something anyway, I suppose.

(Hey chaps, did you know that the server happens to be a might taxed at the moment?)

Gaslight on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    So no new re-design was announced, right?

I'm still looking to buy a 3DS, especially after hearing about the new games. So if anyone knows of any deals, online or off, I'd love to hear about them.

No re-design. [...]
    [...] I was asking about any deals a couple days ago and I was told to wait for e3 from this very thread.
    One point to take away from E3 is the the PS Vita will be released this holiday, as opposed to guesses that it would be released next year. This means that the 3DS might do something this holiday to combat this.

So if you can wait until the holiday, it might be worth it. If you want Zelda Remake on release then buy it whenever you want. I think.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    This means that the 3DS might do something this holiday to combat this.

They had sure as hell better.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    So the Shinobi game is a downloadable one? That should make a lot of people happy. Also, I expect TGS to be the place to see a lot of spiffy stuff (like that Tri-Ace game that looked good).

I'm not sure what the deal is, because I saw full box art for the Shinobi title. There are two on that list, one for the eShop. Virtual Console release, maybe?

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

I'm not sure what the deal is, because I saw full box art for the Shinobi title. There are two on that list, one for the eShop. Virtual Console release, maybe?

Ahh, you're right. Maybe the Game Gear game?

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    One point to take away from E3 is the the PS Vita will be released this holiday, as opposed to guesses that it would be released next year. This means that the 3DS might do something this holiday to combat this.

So if you can wait until the holiday, it might be worth it. If you want Zelda Remake on release then buy it whenever you want. I think.

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/playstation-vita-may-not-release-this-year-worldwide--5384.html
    Despite stating that PlayStation Vita would release in North America by the end of the year, Jack Tretton has now stated that when it comes to the worldwide release, other territories might not be so lucky.

The quote came from Tretton's interview with Geoff Keighley on GameTrailer TV, where he stated that the console would be released at the latest, by the 31st of March, 2012 worldwide.

This adds some confusion, as Kaz Hirai stated that PlayStation Vita would launch worldwide by the end of this year. Very puzzling, perhaps Jack is getting Kaz back for that tie joke.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It makes sense for Sony to want to hit this holiday season, and push for that sweet sweet christmas marketshare. But with a console like that i'm sure they are going to want to make sure they can meet demand or may just not be ready for a worldwide release by the end of this year. I would like to see them hit the target for this year though, just to see how Nintendo would push to try and keep the 3DS in good competition.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    Somebody like Hori needs to put out some little spacers for the 3DS like what Lunker rigged up for his. I get grease marks on my top screen, and while I have a screen protector on there I'd rather not have to worry about it in the first place.

Lunker, what kind of material did you use for your solution? Something easy to buy from somewhere I hope? I'm interested in doing my own solution.

Funnily enough, the material I ended up using was the rubber sticky pads from the plastic Wii Sensor Bar stand. :P They were rubbery, thin, and were sticky on only one side, so they were perfect.

mWgMMl.jpg

I ended up using scissors to cut four really thin slices out of one pad, and I stacked two slices on each of the two spacers on the top screen. I probably could get away with only one slice, now that I think about it.

ouOOTl.jpg

Then I took the other pad and just put it on top of the Home button. I found out I didn't actually have to overlap it with the lip of the bottom screen; it works better just flush to the side of the lip.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Good pics, thanks. I think what I'm going to do is put some of the fuzzy side of some Velcro tape on mine. The rough side of the tape is probably stiff enough to scratch it up and I don't really want that. I'll try and post pics of mine when it's done.

EDIT: This stuff is a little thicker than what you used, I think. It'll do the job nicely though. It was kind of hard to cut a piece narrow enough to just cover the bumpers that are already on there, but they might just be crappy scissors. I used plain 3M Scotch Fasteners (that's how the box is labeled) that I had previously used to attach my Wii sensor to the top of the TV and to attach my SSD to the inside frame of my computer case.

Pics:

C86MX.jpg

ICwx8.jpg

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just found out that the 3DS-compatible flash cart that I was using for software development (and nothing else) no longer works after the update.

Sadface. The program I made to use a DS as a PC gamepad (an idea I stole from another program, DS2Key) was really cool with the 3DS.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm sure somebody will patch it soon. If you still have an older DS I bet it won't be long. My Acekard 2i also no longer works (I was playing Powder and using Moonshell to play MP3s) but I don't doubt it'll get patched.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mine's a cheap clone thing I got for $4-- as far as I know it doesn't have updateable flash on it, so it's forever useless.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well at least it was only $4. Also I'm interested in your idea, how far along in development did you get?

EDIT: Link's Awakening. I've played this before when I was younger, but I just managed to get lost and stuck. What do I do with the Angler Key? Something about a waterfall. I've found 2 different waterfalls right near each other but one isn't interactable and the other is in deep water so I can't reach it. Where to next, with as little spoilering as possible please :)

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is anyone else getting pieces of power way to often in Links Awakening? I remember them being pretty rare, but I've been getting them left and right. I've had very few Acorns though.

Thesmileyemo on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is anyone else getting pieces of power way to often in Links Awakening? I remember them being pretty rare, but I've been getting them left and right. I've had very few Acorns though.

I get a piece of power and/or an acorn like every 5 minutes trying to wander through the woods! I have no idea what to do with that guy who makes me lose my path

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    george-x wrote: »

I get a piece of power and/or an acorn like every 5 minutes trying to wander through the woods! I have no idea what to do with that guy who makes me lose my path

You need to find the cave, which will take you to the mushroom, and then take the mushroom to the Witch, who will give you magic powder, which you can use on the Racoon

Thesmileyemo on
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    george-x wrote: »

You need to find the cave, which will take you to the mushroom, and then take the mushroom to the Witch, who will give you magic powder, which you can use on the Racoon

Haha, thanks. I thought
    that old hag
    had something to do with it :)

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So apparently Ninendo JP is showing a red 3DS on the website.

VBLfg.jpg

It starts.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well at least it was only $4. Also I'm interested in your idea, how far along in development did you get?

It's pretty much complete! I released it the other day for a homebrew competition. There's also a Wii version for using Gamecube controllers on your computer, which is actually the main feature. I just made the DS version because it was easy enough to do both at the same time. I really hope we get 3DS-mode homebrew before too long, because I would love to make it support the slide pad properly, and the motion sensors.

It's called PadSend if you want to search for it.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like kind of a round about way of using a GC controller :wink:

I'll check it out.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like kind of a round about way of using a GC controller :wink:

I'll check it out.

Just think of the Wii as a big ol' converter box for four controllers. You can even use wavebirds!

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm getting more streetpasses than I know what to do with at E3. I'm also thinking that Nintendo really under did things in a few ways with the 3DS. A limit of 10 people in your streetpass queue at a time is terrible!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »

Well, here's a list from Nintendo of most of the games headed to the 3DS in some form that we know of.
    idhLme.jpg
    idhP2u.jpg
    idmooQ.jpg

So have a look and see if there's anything that would catch your fancy.

Wait, Rayman Origins is coming to 3DS? That's pretty great.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So apparently Ninendo JP is showing a red 3DS on the website.

VBLfg.jpg

It starts.

The problem with being at launch is clearly not being able to get the best colors.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You know, I was just thinking about the controls in Kid Icarus.

I was worried before because I don't like the stylus+pad controls in first-person shooters. Or to be more specific, I like the accuracy of stylus aiming and it's really awesome when it works well, but in any situation it is a recipe for hand cramps.

But I won't have to use the stylus. Because the 3DS touch screen is about a hundred times more sensitive and accurate with fingers than the DS was, and the bottom screen protector I have makes my thumb slide across it like butter.

This is great. Problem solved.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm getting more streetpasses than I know what to do with at E3. I'm also thinking that Nintendo really under did things in a few ways with the 3DS. A limit of 10 people in your streetpass queue at a time is terrible!

Clearly the answer is to scurry off to the bathroom every five minutes to grab their puzzle pieces and throw them against ghosts in peace.

No time to look at what E3 has to offer, there are hats to collect!

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just bought Shantae (fucking finally), but did they really only add like 10 games to DSiware? I want Cave Story too, but it doesn't seem to be available.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.