As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

OrganichuOrganichu poopspeesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, this dude...
346732.jpg

...George R.R. Martin, wrote a so-far unfinished series of books called A Song of Ice and Fire. We have a thread meant for discussion of those books; it is located here.
This thread is separate and apart from that thread.

This thread's purpose is to discuss, in alternating turns, the cinematography, direction, and writing of the show- and the sexual attractiveness of its major characters. We'll be using spoilers for pretty much every sensitive piece of information. This doesn't just mean 'John kills Jane'. If you consider it 'allusive', but not explicit, still spoiler it. This includes 'John really made me hate him after what he did this episode'. Clearly label your spoilers- either 'episode 2 thoughts' or 'John's character' or so on. Please be considerate, and recognize that your minor inconvenience encompasses one click, versus ruining someone's enjoyment of the show.

So...........
hbo-iphone.jpg

HBO is adapting this show. The expected plan is one season per book- meaning this season will roughly cover the book it corresponds to in the series (the first, Game of Thrones). It is still unclear whether the second season will exactly match the second book, and whether consistent branding will change the name, etc.

New episodes are Sunday evenings on HBO!

---

For several reasons- including a rash of spoilery conversation, and the upcoming conclusion of this season in the next couple weeks, which I expect to exacerbate reason one- I think that it's necessary to append this warning to the thread.

This thread is for discussing Game of Thrones, the television show currently airing weekly on HBO. While the show is based on a popular series of books, these discussions are not to be joined in this thread; their narratives are not to be melded or connected in any way... not explicitly, and not allusively. I am not a moderator, and so every time this basic rule is ignored, I have to bug one of the appointed moderators. Not every moderator has read the books, either. Please understand that by ignoring the premise of this thread- its parameters, I mean- you inconvenience not only newcomers to the show but me and the moderators on this forum.

There is no ambiguity or vagueness or leeway. If you find yourself going 'well, it'll probably be ok in the TV thread...', post it in the book thread to be safe. Please. This is a matter of basic courtesy, and because of repeated eschewals of these warnings, it is now a matter of mod agitation.

Thanks so much for your time.

Organichu on

• Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, I apologize for the spoiler as I realize many of you might have assumed it was a spoiler for an episode you may have already watched that I haven't.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peter Dinklage alone is enough reason to watch this series.

Shadowen on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was going to make a joke and somehow reference Sand Kings but the spoiler thing has just gotten beyond any kind of joking.

Really, if you've read the book don't comment on shit that isn't acting/filming related and think hard even about that.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it a coincidence that Goerge R R martin cast someone vaguely resembling himself as Hodor, bearer of Winter?

initiatefailure on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it a coincidence that Goerge R R martin cast someone vaguely resembling himself as Hodor, bearer of Winter?

George R.R. Martin really didn't cast anyone. That is not his job.

Hachface on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've found the lack of music throughout the show a bit odd. They have this amazing score for the opening, but they use almost no music throughout 90% of the show. Admittedly, I've gotten rather used to brilliantly scored movies, and this feels so much like a movie that I feel like it needs a score. But still, it makes the show feel a bit empty. More like theatre.

NotYou on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hachface wrote: »

George R.R. Martin really didn't cast anyone. That is not his job.

Well, except Bean and Dinklage.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    qqvol0.jpg

I could watch this forever. There simply can't be enough Joffrey getting slapped in this world.

Captain Tragedy on
    edited June 2011
    I'm not against this image as every post on every page

initiatefailure on
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Glocjt wrote: »

The slo-mo Dinklage walk-away at :35 and 1:15 is the best part.

Captain Tragedy on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes. All like, "And not a single fuck was given that day."

Shadowen on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh man, that is the best thing. THE BEST THING.

Inquisitor on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Peter Dinklage keepin' that pimp hand strong

mcdermott on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    usually slapping children is quite sad

but not in this case!

Casual Eddy on
    edited June 2011
    Speaking of, I'm an episode behind. Off to rectify this.

mcdermott on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's such a great scene. I loved it even when I first saw it, thinking "Thank god someone can slap the shit out of that whiny kid"

Clearly Tyrion needs to get back to King's Landing as soon as possible.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just make the second season about those two wandering around westeros.

gameofthrones61024x681.jpg

Mei Hikari on
    edited June 2011
    I can't decide my favorite bronn/tyrion moment

either
    the "I'll fight for him" followed by a why the hell not shrug or the golden women discussion?
    Minor spoiler... I guess?

initiatefailure on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was going to make a joke and somehow reference Sand Kings but the spoiler thing has just gotten beyond any kind of joking.

Really, if you've read the book don't comment on shit that isn't acting/filming related and think hard even about that.

yeah there were a couple of ones about acting last thread that were spoilery.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dinklage is exactly the Tyrion I'd imagined in the book. Exceptional job IMO.

Aridhol on
  • rocketvatrocketvat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aridhol wrote: »

It's hilarious to me that we can restart the thread, put up an enormous orange wall laying out the rules and why they exist, and then on the very first page we still have these posts that are literally just an observation (with zero substance, mind you) about the book.

Obviously, this isn't a spoiler by any stretch of the imagination, but how difficult is it to understand what NO BOOK DISCUSSION means?

rocketvat on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mostly it's because people want a blue dot without having to think of a post. This post is kinda like that as well.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But blue dotting is against the rules :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There really should be a way to bluedot a thread without posting in it, unless there is a method I am unaware of.

Anyway, Sunday can't come soon enough. I am really curious to see where season one will actually end. I've not read the books so I have no clue. What will be resolved this season or left for next season? Will it end after or before a large battle? After or before the white walkers and/or the dothraki show up in force? Basically, how painful is the wait for season 2 going to be?

Inquisitor on
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rocketvat wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »

It's hilarious to me that we can restart the thread, put up an enormous orange wall laying out the rules and why they exist, and then on the very first page we still have these posts that are literally just an observation (with zero substance, mind you) about the book.

Obviously, this isn't a spoiler by any stretch of the imagination, but how difficult is it to understand what NO BOOK DISCUSSION means?

That's really not discussing the book, just a book reader being happy with the actor chosen for the role.

DeShadowC on
  • GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, if it's not as painful as the wait between seasons 1 and 2 of Battlestar, I think I'll be okay. :P I do get the feeling that there are way too many separate threads going on for things to all get resolved in the next two episodes, though.

Glocjt on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Just make the second season about those two wandering around westeros.

gameofthrones61024x681.jpg

yes

override367 on
    edited June 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    There really should be a way to bluedot a thread without posting in it, unless there is a method I am unaware of.

Anyway, Sunday can't come soon enough. I am really curious to see where season one will actually end. I've not read the books so I have no clue. What will be resolved this season or left for next season? Will it end after or before a large battle? After or before the white walkers and/or the dothraki show up in force? Basically, how painful is the wait for season 2 going to be?

If you go to "thread tools" and click "subscribe to this thread" it'll show up up in your user panel, but without the blue dot.

I imagine the wait for season 2 will be painful no matter what. Hell, the wait between episodes has been painful for a month now D:

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Episode eight spoilers:
    It was interesting to me that some people couldn't make the connection between the wight in the latest episode and the wights at the beginning of the show. I remember the wights in the opening scene of the first episode having very noticeably blue eyes, but the one recently didn't have that. Any reason why they might leave that out, then mention the blue eyes in the scene where they're burning the corpse? Maybe I just missed it...

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching this show has reminded me why I generally don't like to watch TV series until they're done.

I want to marathon the hell out of this, and know what happens. (I've not read the books, so...)

I honestly can't find any complaint with the main characters, of which there are lots. As people have said, the actress portraying Sansa seems a bit flat and dull at times, but that could just be intentional. She really did seem to do well in her role in episode eight.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really interested in the reactions from people to whom this is their first contact with ASoIaF. It's ever so entertaining to read about their shocks and theories and whatnot. Would anyone happen to have links to blogs or something similar that have such write-ups?

Rhan9 on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is only one God, the God of Spoilers. And there is only one thing you say to the God of Spoilers: "Not today."

Dracomicron on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    qqvol0.jpg

This should be on every page.

schuss on
    edited June 2011
    schuss has found a new job.

mcdermott on
    edited June 2011
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I'm really interested in the reactions from people to whom this is their first contact with ASoIaF. It's ever so entertaining to read about their shocks and theories and whatnot. Would anyone happen to have links to blogs or something similar that have such write-ups?

Since episode 5, AV Club has been doing parallel reviews for people who haven't read the books and people who have.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, really unsure why the corpses didn't have the bright blue eyes

Maybe the director felt that it would ruin the surprise?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There is only one God, the God of Spoilers. And there is only one thing you say to the God of Spoilers: "Not today."

:^:

Hachface on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rhan9 wrote: »

Television Without Pity has a thread specifically for non book readers to speculate. Book readers are forbidden from even posting in the thread (although I suspect there are one or two clever ones trying to steer the conversation).

Tomanta on
This discussion has been closed.