As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Friend bought a belt buckle we THINK is Russian, wants to know what it says

mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
...or if it's even the right way up.

254499_1674462594921_1638124226_1339868_1275500_n.jpg

mr-razzcocks on

• SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well it's Cyrillic and it's the right way up... I don't think it's Russian though. First word is (roughly) ichaz, bottom is chazd, middle is either an acronym or something without any vowels (zhdb?).

My Russian is dreadful, but Google isn't throwing up any hits on those words, so it's entirely possible this is gibberish. Where did it come from?

SpongeCake on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Found it in a charity shop, no idea of it's point of origin. Most other places we've looked are saying it's most likely gibberish.

Thanks for the attempt on this anyway, I think he's just going to have to hope it doesn't say anything really embarrassing.

mr-razzcocks on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I would check at your local university. They probably have someone who speaks Russian. A prof who is willing to look at it.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    in czech, ichaz means 'a near'

according to google translate.

Dunadan019 on
  • minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is definitely not Russian. It is Cyrillic though, as Sponge said.

minirhyder on
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Cyrillic letters are most likely

ичаз
    ждб
    чазд

or capitalized

ИЧАЗ
    ЖДБ
    ЧАЗД

Which is basically

i-ch-a-z
    zh-d-b
    ch-a-z-d

It's most likely that the middle line is an acronym of Ж (Zh) Д (D) Б (B), which would probably be ZDB if it were rendered in English. It is most definitely not Czech, because Czech uses Latin script (with additional accents).

It's also conceivable that everything here is intended to be capitalized or is representative of acronyms.

и ЧАЗ could be "And Chaz" (ЧАЗ being Chaz, the Machinery & Industrial Group NV in Russia, a tractor/machinery manufacturer). Other places on the internet that know the Cyrillic as well seem to be at a loss, though.

President Rex on
  • mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    hmm, i just got this message off the guy who bought it:
    actually someone on ilx just said "I get some pages telling me ЖДБ stands for Железнодорожная больница = "railway hospital" or железнодорожный батальон = "railway (construction) battalion", but the former seems an unlikely thing for a belt buckle to say and the latter isn't bringing me much joy regarding belts or logos either"

it is certainly starting to seem like it's utter nonsense or it's supposed to be an acronym or a selection of

other suggestions include "KISS ME HERE" and "TOAD BANK"

mr-razzcocks on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I vote for TOAD BANK, the next time someone asks you what it means.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth