As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E PbP Recruiting CLOSED] Curse of the Black Pearls

• TunosTunos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I'm not involved in any PbP, IRL games or anything else at all. In short, this would be the only game I was committed to and I'm also new to 4e, so yay me!

Posting once a day won't be a problem!

I bought a DDI subscription just to make character creation for this campaign easier!

I'm committed to the long-term. If you want to take us to level 30, I want to go with you!

Moreover, he's an illusionist (though admittedly not off the mage kit variety) and brings all the versatility that an illusion wizard entails - the party will love him!

He's also got a dormant dragonmark that will manifest at some point in the campaign (probably one of the levels where we get new feats!)

Soldaer's using the mercenary theme, but I couldn't figure out how to add it into the DDI builder and I'm tired so I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Also, I understand none of my powers are showing up on the sheet - how can I fix that?

Character Sheet: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/3184

Powers:
    Racial: Cloud of Darkness
    At Will: Phantasmal Assault, Magic Missile
    Encounter: Grasping Shadows, Force Orb (via the Tome of Readiness)
    Daily: Sleep, Phantom Chasm

Vignette:

Soldaer stood, gently swaying as the ocean rocked beneath his feet. Prince Kalin’s other men stood huddled in the corners of the room, in varying stages of comfort. Trevor, the most recent addition to Soldaer’s regiment was turning greener with every up and down motion. Kalin had never been able to resist a strong sword-arm who was down on his luck, even if the lad had never been on a boat before. He often had a knack for being right about these things though – the ones Kalin recruited personally often turned out to be the best “sailors” of all. Everyone had potential, Soldaer knew this; he himself had once been new to the sea. Of course he hadn’t gotten his sea legs under Kalin’s leadership. No, he’d been forced to grow them by circumstance – one painful day at a time. Soldaer shook himself from his thoughts and returned to the transaction at hand.

The Longstrider was a mid-sized boat, built to speed quickly through calm waters and to tough out rough seas as was typical for merchant vessels in the Lhazaar Principalities. But then The Longstrider wasn’t simply a merchant ship. If it had been, Soldaer wouldn’t have been present after all. He was there to retrieve a shipment of enchanted iron that had been procured at great cost to those aboard The Longstrider. The iron had been processed and the finished bars had been enchanted. Kalin wanted the metal to reinforce the barding on his ship and the crew of The Longstrider wanted respect.

Soldaer looked down at the box he had brought, knowing that Prince….former Prince Rellis’s sword and signet ring lay within. Power was bought and traded openly on the seas of the Lhazaar Principalities and Soldaer was Kalin’s broker. One of Kalin’s other crews had taken care of Rellis and Soldaer was given the honor of being the intermediary. He often was. He spoke more languages than almost anyone in the prince’s fleet and had a way with magic that was incredibly useful in business transactions such as these.

The door to the cabin creaked audibly and Soldaer’s eyes flickered up. The captain of the ship, a tall, well-built human, walked in, flanked by three guards. He extended his hand to Soldaer.

“Captain Farnell. You must be Soldaer.”

Soldaer had started to extend his own hand but it froze in mid-air. To Farnell’s right, standing flush with his position at the bargaining table, was a half-elf of average height and average features. In fact, everything about the half-elf was wholly unremarkable; Soldaer had mistaken him for a guard after all. Except for the dragonmark. In the dim light of the room it stood out vibrantly, a softly glowing purple against the tan skin of the half-elf’s cheek. The half-elf spoke.

“Of course,” he paused for effect, “the enigmatic Soldaer. You can’t expect him to be too forthcoming with words now can you Captain?” The vitriol rolled off of his tongue and tainted the air in the cabin.

Soldaer realized he had been standing with his mouth open and closed it promptly before dropping his hand to his side. “I didn’t realize we had invited House Medani to our transaction.”

Farnell started to speak but the Medani cut him off, “Of course master drow. Medani has been looking into expanding its business ventures in the Lhazaar Principalities. I’ve been shadowing the Captain on his transactions lately. He seemed to think that having the backing of one of the Twelve would go far in cementing his newfound power on the seas.”

Soldaer had quit listening to the half-elf almost as soon as he opened his mouth to speak. Instead he was watching his eyes intently. Though the Medani spoke without losing his pace or rhythm, his eyes ravaged every inch of exposed skin on Soldaer’s body. And then the dragonmark flared, ever so briefly, in the faintest shade of purple and the half-elf’s eyes took on an almost imperceptible glow.

Soldaer’s arm started to go reflexively to his left eye but he fought the impulse and willed it still. The half-elf finished speaking and Soldaer replied without giving him a chance to draw breath.

“I think you’ll find Medani,” Soldaer lifted the lid on the chest he had brought, showing Farnell the sword and signet ring, “that the dragonmarks have little relevance on the seas of Lhazaar. And that the Twelve have even less power. It was a pleasure doing business with you Captain. Perhaps next time it will be in better company.”

Soldaer spun on his heel and motioned to his crew, “Trevor, gather the ore and meet me in the brig when it’s stowed.”

As Soldaer exited the cabin and his crew went about collecting the crates of iron, the half-elf whispered silently, “We shall see drow. We shall see…”

Background:

Soldaer Arensun is an assumed name. His real name is lost to his time in Stormreach.

Soldaer was born to working class parents in Stormreach and lived a rather unremarkable life until his dragonmark manifested at in his late forties. He was an adept student of the arcane with a special affinity for illusion. Once his mark manifested, things were different. The problem was that his dragonmark was aberrant in nature and drew the attention of the dragonmarked houses in Stormreach. Fearing the implications that always rose with an aberration, some of the houses sought to control him, some sought to kill him and others sought to study him.

To escape the living prison that Stormreach was becoming for him, Soldaer booked passage on a ship out of Stormreach. It was met on the open seas by one of the Houses and Soldaer’s ship was destroyed in the ensuing battle. Cast into the sea, he was recovered by a slave trader, his dragonmark having faded. He was to be auctioned off to the highest bidder throughout the black markets of the Lhazaar Principalities. Prince Kalin engaged the ship on the open sea, seeking spoils of his own and upon seeing the drow’s talent for sorcery, offered him a position in his fleet as a spell-for-hire. He has sailed with Prince Kalin ever since, as a pirate and as Kalin’s top negotiator.

Soldaer is currently on The Crimson Wave in service to Prince Kalin, investigating the rumours concerning the sarcophagus that the ship is carrying.

Personality:
    Soldaer’s life has turned him into a cynic with a superiority complex. Having been hunted for much of his life and slaved for part of it thereafter, he is determined never again to be held to the whims of anyone else. Even his service to Prince Kalin is only guaranteed as long as he feels it is in his best interest. He would never betray his companions outright but loyalty has little weight to him past its more apparent benefits, such as allies to watch his back.

He has a sharp wit and an arrogant tone, though he can play various roles when the situation or transaction suits him.

Though he would never admit it, he lives in fear that the Twelve will one day find him. Though if this is for fear of what they will do to him or for fear of what he will discover about his dragonmark (and thereby himself) none can say.

Appearance:
    Soldaer is tall for a drow and of a lithe build. His skin is a deep shade of dark blue and his ghost white hair is cut short. His eyes are a clear, crystalline purple, almost as if they were set with amethysts.

DrowWizard.jpg

Tunos on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I think I'm done. It's all in my first post earlier this page.

fadingathedges on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sothis, deva nethermancer mage

Stat summary:
    Init +0 HP 24/24 Bloodied 12 Healing Surge 6 ( used /8)
    AC 15 Fort 11 Reflex 15 Will 14 Speed 6
    Str 10 (0) Con 13 (+1) Dex 10 (0) Int 20 (+5) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 9 (-1)

Powers:

Cantrip: Spook
    Cantrip: Disrupt undead
    Cantrip: Suggestion
    At-will: Beguiling strands
    At-will: Unraveling dart
    At-will: magic missile
    Race encounter: Memory of a thousand lifetimes
    Theme encounter: Cast fortune
    Encounter: Twilight falls
    (prepared)
    Encounter: Grasping shadows
    Daily: Spirit rend
    (prepared)
    Daily: Phantom chasm

theme/skills/feats:

Theme: Seer

+0 Acrobatics, +10 Arcana, +0 Athletics, -1 Bluff, -1 Diplomacy, +2 Dungeoneering, +1 Endurance, +2 Heal, +12 History, +7 Insight, -1 Intimidate, +2 Nature, +2 Perception, +12 Religion, +0 Stealth, -1 Streetwise, +0 Thievery

Feats: Staff expertise feat

History/background:
    Greed and the Last War:

The Last War garnered Sothis the fame and, amongst some people, the notoriety that precedes her now. Since she arrived on this world, not only was she able to vaguely recall flashbacks of her past life (as most devas are), but she also saw things that are yet to happen. As a resident of Cyre, Sothis predicted the Day of Mourning a full year prior to the event, journeying east just in time to avoid the disaster. Those who have heard of her branded her a doomsayer and a witch (and her studies of nethermancy certainly didn’t help), while others saw the massive potential in her abilities and wanted her all to themselves. After the Treaty of Thronehold, Sothis was captured and imprisoned by a few different warring factions, each demanding that she make it so they are the dominant power in the future. She was broken out of prison only to be shoved into another prison more than once. At one point even a gang of pirates got a hold of her and brought before Prince Mika of the Cloudreavers who kept her as her own personal seer for a short while. Since her escape, Sothis has managed to stay under the radar by shedding her elegant deva garb and avoiding densely populated towns.. when she can.

On faith and the dark arts:

Sothis believes that countless lifetimes ago she was in the presence of Dol Arrah, the goddess of light, selflessness, and good; and that one day, once her purpose in this world is complete, she can return to stand beside the goddess. Unlike most devas, however, Sothis views herself as walking the dangerously thin line between light and darkness. In her opinion it’s best to fight fire with fire, so to speak, and in the end Dol Arrah will understand and reward her for her sacrifice. Still a strong believer in the light, Sothis dedicates her arcane talents to studying and understanding nethermancy and necromancy. They can be powerful tools.

Why the Crimson Wave?:

Other than the vague teachings of the goddess, Sothis is still trying to find her purpose in life so that she can ascend. She can’t recall exactly, but the fleeting memories of her past life give an indication that she was after something. Out to do something very important, but not living to accomplish it. The images in her head usually don’t make sense, but one scene in particular she remembers in detail. It was the outline of a ship in the middle of a stormy sea at night; a silhouette backlit by lightening. The moment she saw the Crimson Wave docked at the pier, she knew she was finally on the right track.

Appearance and Mannerisms:
    Sothis appears relatively young for a deva who’s suppose to be created as an adult, which adds to her unusual nature, and to people’s suspicion of her. Not long into her discovery of future sight, Sothis found that she can, to an extent, control her visions through her eyesight. Her right eye only sees the present, while her left sees the past and the future. She wears an eye patch over her left eye so the visions are muted in her day to day life. Sothis is a tough girl. She understands that evil in this world will tempt her, trick her, and prey on her feelings if her mind is clouded. Just as she made the sacrifice of the dark arts, others might need to make their own sacrifice for the greater good. In fact, sometimes she is quick to judge in that regard and might be described as lacking compassion. Priests and scholars who have heard of her shake their heads and warn of the path of the rakshasa.

Picture!:
    navatedeviantartEDITsmall.jpg
    Original picture by navate at deviantart.
    Second submission yay!

TheBog on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bal: Good character concept and anything that can use Gabes art is a bonus as well. Warden with a cleric MC is a nice solid bit of extra leadery to boot.

Pock Wrilyn: Interesting background and a sorcerer who could be equally dangerous to the ship as the monsters is an... amusing concept for the game.

Sarna Giral: Watersoul Genasi are indeed fairly popular from the looks of things and this character (mechanically) will work very well. Relatively straightforward background, which can fit with some of the others that demand some more story specific things as well.

Mareak Daleborn: Interesting build, which seems to be focusing on beast form powers somewhat. Is this a swarm druid build? Because you should be aware that swarm druids absolutely *tank* AC and with damage as it is, their DR can't really compensate like it used to be able to. I do really like the background you made.

Rune: Personally I find hybrids to be rather swingy in practice, but it looks like it could be quite interesting in play. I recommend changing out the daily punishing eye however, because while it seems neat the fact it takes a standard action really means it struggles to get up to its potential. Tybalt had it in my other game (Dark Prophecy) and it proved to be rather useless. The background is really good as well and I can see inserting some Aundairian elements into the game with that.

Soldaer: Really good work on the background and the illusionist is a solid build, though I'm not exactly sure why all your powers aren't turning up on your character sheet. Can you just list what you've taken somewhere for me?

Sothis: The background actually fits quite well, given that in Thrane two angels appeared and led a crusade into Cyre before the mourning occurred (much rumor surrounds why that was). So your appearance would certainly have been taken with considerable fear. Nethermancy I feel is a better school than Necromancy in general, because its basic features scale better and are really useful (hidden sniper especially).

Some additional information and answers to some questions I've had in PMs that I think will be generally useful to everyone.

Your campaigns seem murderous, is this one as well?: Eventually. The prologue is deliberately less difficult than Dark Prophecy and The Builder's Cry equivalent prologues were. This is to give everyone time to get used to the game as I am aiming it more towards newer players. The first adventure though you can assume that shit will get real very fast. The prologue is 2 levels, if you're wondering so probably the first 2 months (or something like this? Not sure about how fast things will go just yet) of play.

How many characters are you taking? Five. It's just the magic number.

What party composition are you taking? Depends actually. At the moment I am very much thinking towards Defender/Striker/Striker/Leader/Controller. Sometimes though I do other weird things from time to time, especially if I feel a campaign will need more leader capabilities. It's really dependent on the character submissions and so long as the party works in my own little "playtests" then it should be fine.

Do we need to make our own tokens?: Nope, I make those in maptools and I'll also be using that to adjust the maps.

How far exactly is the campaign going: Not particularly sure right now. Although I am a very experienced 4E DM, I have actually not run a lot (actually any) PbP games in it. So I need to judge how fast the levels go, how much interest is maintained in the game and how much it adds to my workload (which due to the length of combat, actually isn't as much as I thought). At the moment, I have several logical points of exit (that is preprepared solutions for ending the campaign if need be in a satisfying non-rocks fall and everyone dies manner) - but I do in fact have a definitive 1-30 plan for this game.

Should we have character sheets on mythweavers or orokoros? Yes, if you don't have one I'll expect you to make a mythweavers or orokoros sheet for the games OP.

When are you announcing the results? Applications close June 15th. Game thread will be up (with those who got in) June 20th. I will be posting the proto-OP before the applications phase finishes so everyone can see it ahead of time.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri: Could I possibly wait to see if I get in and what character you use of mine if I do get in to make an Orkos or mythweathers sheet? If not thats fine, I'll just need to get started on it because I'm about to head out to the beach for a few days and won't have a lot of laptop access.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Your campaigns seem murderous, is this one as well?: Eventually. The prologue is deliberately less difficult than Dark Prophecy and The Builder's Cry equivalent prologues were. This is to give everyone time to get used to the game as I am aiming it more towards newer players. The first adventure though you can assume that shit will get real very fast. The prologue is 2 levels, if you're wondering so probably the first 2 months (or something like this? Not sure about how fast things will go just yet) of play.

This is what I'm looking forward to the most, honestly. I love a DM who doesn't fuck around and puts PCs in real danger. Fights are a lot more epic if you're hanging on to dear life by a thread, and then landing that giant daily in a big tense cinematic way.

TheBog on
    edited June 2011
    TheBog wrote: »

This is what I'm looking forward to the most, honestly. I love a DM who doesn't fuck around and puts PCs in real danger. Fights are a lot more epic if you're hanging on to dear life by a thread, and then landing that giant daily in a big tense cinematic way.

I'm afraid I'll get in with my wizard, get knocked off the boat, splash around and die during the very first combat encounter.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am aware of the questionable utility of the swarm druid class feature, but I figure I'm not going to be wearing heavy armor anyways, and the other class features can be replaced with feats.

DrDinosaur on
    edited June 2011
    I was under the impression that swarm druids are awesome and tanky. Straight up damage reduction 24/7 is pretty boss.

TheBog on
    edited June 2011
    Edited the powers in. Open to suggestions.

Also I know the rulebooks include descriptions of what the illusion powers do but how do you feel about changing descriptions on things like that? I mean, I know Phantasmal Assault says that he conjures spectral images or some such nonsense, but what's the fun of being an illusionist if every attack power plays out the same way? I guess what I'm asking is how do you feel about flavor changes on things like that (say instead of summoning spectral assailants, the illusion is of a pirate attacking or a beam falling on the target's head or something?)

Also included a picture. He'll appear as is, except replace the scimitar with a drow long knife (which I know I'm not trained in, but hey, it looks cool).

Tunos on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheBog, since MM3 increasing monster damage across the board, even at Heroic tier when a, say, Carnage Demon hits for 2d6+5 damage with his basic attack, 4 damage resist is not going to keep you alive a whole lot longer than 4 extra AC. At all.

Pinfeldorf on
  • b0b52000b0b52000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This game looks so crazy awesome that I really want to get in, but if I don't, I might still follow it just because it looks so cool. Also, what's mythweavers / orokoros ?

Edit: Actually, I should have just googled it before I asked. No explanation needed! Thanks though.

b0b52000 on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you pick Pock, he promises to try not to set the boat on fire.
    No promises. He's got wild magic!

SniperGuy on
    edited June 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The inn pock burnt down is actually the inn my halfling bard ran (character on page 2 or 3)

:P

Toxin01 on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The inn pock burnt down is actually the inn my halfling bard ran (character on page 2 or 3)

:P

That could lead to some interesting encounters.
    "Wait...YOU"
    "IT WAS AN ACCIDENT I SWEAR"

I went and added a theme to Pock because I'm silly and forgot to originally.

SniperGuy on
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, fading, where is the 'salt-stained' warden from? The compendium doesn't have it.

wildwood on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wildwood wrote: »
    Hey, fading, where is the 'salt-stained' warden from? The compendium doesn't have it.

It looks like a re-flavored Earthstrength Warden, with class features and powers renamed accordingly.

Nealneal on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rune: Personally I find hybrids to be rather swingy in practice, but it looks like it could be quite interesting in play. I recommend changing out the daily punishing eye however, because while it seems neat the fact it takes a standard action really means it struggles to get up to its potential. Tybalt had it in my other game (Dark Prophecy) and it proved to be rather useless. The background is really good as well and I can see inserting some Aundairian elements into the game with that.

The power and feat choices may be modified depending on party composition, and if you think punishing eye is not up to snuff, I could always swap it out for something else. The warforged artificer alchemist is the point of the build, however. Being a swordmage is secondary, and allows for some very amusing and interesting power combinations, but it is not necessary. The only problem with this hybrid as a 5th character is that I think generally, a 5th character is better as an attack enabler if you go away from the striker route. The hybrid presented is more of a buffer/damage reducer, and were I to truly want to optimize within the party I would go the route of some variant on the "switch" builds (lightswitch, killswitch, etc.) but that may be outside of the bounds of the character concept. The pure artificer version of the character (warforged artificer alchemist) has a very similar backstory and appearance, with some minor statistic changes.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hope I'm doing this right. My first D&D character since the early 90's.

Vyer Morivan, Avenger of The Traveler:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Vyer Morivan (d'Thuranni), level 1
    Elf, Avenger
    Build: Pursuing Avenger
    Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit
    Background: Thuranni Stonespur Recruit (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 13, Dex 17, Int 10, Wis 17, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 14, Con 13, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 13 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
    HP: 27 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
    Religion +5, Athletics +7, Perception +10, Stealth +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +3, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, Heal +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate -1, Nature +5, Streetwise -1, Thievery +3

FEATS
    Level 1: Mark of Shadow

POWERS
    Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
    Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
    Channel Divinity: Divine Guidance
    Avenger encounter 1: Angelic Alacrity
    Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Greatsword, Holy Symbol, Identification Papers with Portrait, Travel Papers
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Bio:
    Vyer is the youngest of House Thuranni. He spent his formative years as a recruit of the Stonespur assassins, and was near the top of his class. Killing was easy for him, but wasn't what he enjoyed. No, it was the clandestine aspects of the assassin's life which gave him a thrill. Maybe that's why he never truly fit in. Espionage, assassination... these were the weapons of House Thuranni, but the cloak was always simply the precursor to the dagger. There was never any joy, never anything gained in the act of subterfuge. It was all simply an act to pull off before sticking the blade in the target.

In contrast, Vyer enjoyed being other people. He loved donning the appearance and mannerisms of new personas. It was if they already existed, and he merely gave them the ability to act for a short time. The ability to truly see things from another's point of view, to truly hold alien thoughts... this was the path to knowledge. Each persona was a wave on the tide. Whatever was swept away did not matter. Whatever remained was true.

This is why Vyer was troubled by the split from House Phiarlan. What was the cause? What fundamental truth did the change reveal? What did it mean for his house? Word had it that the Crimson Wave had cargo which could shed some light on the subject....

Appearance and Mannerisms:
    Vyer's currently portraying a quiet, scholarly fellow. His black hair is pulled back in a ponytail, and he's wearing a pair of glasses with fake lenses. He's currently portraying a quiet, bookish, somewhat easy to startle fellow, whose stated purpose on the vessel is merely travel. His holy symbol and dragonmark are hidden beneath his clothing, and his weapon is wrapped in a bundle with both his legit adventuring gear and other props. His papers are forged, and do not mention his house.

Inspiration comes from the Faceless Men of George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. The Traveler seems like the perfect way to go about it. I was going to make him a changeling, but I like the Thuranni Shadow Killer PP too much.

EDIT: Added the Scholar theme, as what he does (see bio) would require the knowledge of languages and culture. I also tweaked his ability scores a bit for depth and a couple more hp.

Nightslyr on
    edited June 2011
    Nealneal wrote: »
    wildwood wrote: »

It looks like a re-flavored Earthstrength Warden, with class features and powers renamed accordingly.

Yeah, it's that. The primal / pseudo divine stuff seemed to fit really well, but there's all this talk of vines and goats so I just changed it to storm and sea related stuff.

fadingathedges on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I couldn't find a theme that would fit well with him. Are they mandatory?

I'm not the man in charge, but the way I see it is; it's free stuff. Why wouldn't you want free stuff? Like, you could just not choose a feat at level 1, but it's a good thing to have, as an example.

Perhaps look over the powers/bonuses and see if you can't repurpose/flavor one, as I believe someone else has already? If all your doing is changing the names involved it shouldn't really matter. There are some good options for combative characters, and a few that appeal to the less combat inclined, etc.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aye, I reflavored the raven from animal master to a parrot on the first page.

Anialos on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ekar Sharn, Swashbuckler Extraordinaire
    Character Sheet on Orokos

Background:
    Ekar watched from the port tavern, 'So, where do they come from?' he asked with practiced ease. He was speaking to no one in particular, but knowing that some one would eventually answer. 'A deckhand said they came from the south, after some big catch he said.' Some random patron inside the tavern had indeed fulfilled Ekar's expectations. Without a word he walked out into the afternoon sun, his black scales glinting with polish as his boots clipped down the planks of the walkway. 'Oy there, who's your captain.' The dragonkin shouted up the plank onto the deck, he saw the deckhands making their way around the ship, sorting lines and stowing gear. 'He's already off ship, headed to the merchant master.'
    Ekar thanked the man with a tip of his head and padded back down the dock into the city, a small port town of no consequence, Ekar had found himself here for the past month. No matter how many ships he made his way onto, it seemed they eventually brought him back here.

It didn't really matter, Ekar was one who traveled wherever the wind took him. Yet it was time to get out of here, he'd worn out his welcome with many of the captains that frequented the port. But it had made him ritch, a pinch from a haul here, a handful there, a quarrel in the back of a deckhand in the middle of the night would get him two shares...Everyday though, he would walk down to the tavern and watch the ships come in.

Ekar Sharn was one of the rare black scaled Dragonborn. He is a swashbuckler of much repute, having ventured on the high seas for nearly a decade of his life from the youngest age a captain would take him. In the more recent years, Ekar had taken to honing his skill with dagger and bow, melding the two into a fighting force few could reckon with. Of course, only when his latest venture required it of him. Which is not to say his own desires and goals didn't require it all the time.

Adept at gathering information, remaining both the center of attention and easily forgettable, Ekar has found very little need for others. Exiled from his clutch on the mainland at the young age of 10, Ekar was forced to a life of crime, a life that suits him and his developed skills very well.

Appearance:
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a very good picture of a Rogue Dragonborn.

The casual way Ekar holds himself tends to put others at ease, regarding him as a kindred spirit instead of the cutthroat he is. His black scales glisten when not covered by the many rakish clothes he wears, or between the pads of cured leather he wears for protection. A holstered hand crossbow strapped to his leg with a miniature quiver pinned to his hip. It's surprising how the bandoleer of daggers across his chest doesn't put people off when approached by the dragonkin.

I have not ever actually had a chance to play a PbP, and have only a little experience with 4e. I'm currently awaiting word back for a Dark Heresy campaign, and in a tabletop Pathfinder game that meets once a week. I really like the idea of the setting put forward here, and hope to become a party to the campaign. I'm a long term player, and generally not a fan of "one and done" games. I prefer to play for a year. I also am (and will continue to be for the foreseeable future) able to post several times a day.

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    Forar wrote: »

I'm not the man in charge, but the way I see it is; it's free stuff. Why wouldn't you want free stuff? Like, you could just not choose a feat at level 1, but it's a good thing to have, as an example.

Perhaps look over the powers/bonuses and see if you can't repurpose/flavor one, as I believe someone else has already? If all your doing is changing the names involved it shouldn't really matter. There are some good options for combative characters, and a few that appeal to the less combat inclined, etc.

Ah, okay, cool. Like the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (go-go dated SNL reference!), themes are new and frightening to me.

Do themes level up at all? I noticed that they have powers associated with them. Are they simply unlocked at the appropriate level?

Nightslyr on
    edited June 2011
    Everything you need to know about themes is right in the dragon articles, from what I understand. If the powers say they improve at certain levels (as some powers in the PHBs do), then they improve at certain levels. Nothing shifty going on behind the scenes.

Unless....

TheBog on
    edited June 2011
    Ah, okay, cool. Like the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (go-go dated SNL reference!), themes are new and frightening to me.

Do themes level up at all? I noticed that they have powers associated with them. Are they simply unlocked at the appropriate level?

I haven't played in a game using them yet myself, but it seems to be a series of minor perks/attacks/bonuses that unlock as you level up. A minor boost to what your character can do, similar to the beefier perks you pick up during the Paragon and Epic tiers, a little something to differentiate Fighter X from Fighter Y above and beyond attributes, power choices and feat selections.

I assume they 'level up' in terms of gaining the appropriate bonus to strike over levels (as attributes go up and as you gain the +1 to hit per 2 levels), so when I picked mine I went by a mix of flavour, what was obtained at level 1 and what came at later levels. My striker (Avenger) took a combative choice (Mercenary, as I recall) to reflect his martial training and currently mercenary (for hire) nature. My leader (Warlord) chose Scholar because none of the combative options really caught my eye for his build, and because it fit in with the "somewhat bookish/quiet leader behind the scenes" personality I had in mind for him and mechanically his additional languages fit the image of him as being well traveled and comfortable in a variety of locales I envisioned.

Forar on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Themes have two components:

1) Features: You gain these automatically when you reach their level. Typically the level 1 feature is a power of some sort with the rest being passive bonuses to something.
    2) Utilities: At the specified levels you can opt to take a theme's utility power in place of your normal utility power choice for that level. It's not automatic so you actually have to decide which you'd rather want.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2011
    Awesome! Thanks guys! Added a theme and adjusted a couple ability scores.

Nightslyr on
    edited June 2011
    Oooh, did not know that about utilities. Gracias.

Forar on
    edited June 2011
    Vyer Morivan: I like your characters background, simple but very effective. Personally I feel Avengers are really well suited to being "Divine Assassins".

Ekar Sharn: Again I like the background you've come up with and a Dragonborn crossbow rogue will work extremely well in this campaign. Especially as crossbows don't take any pesky penalties for shooting doods underwater.

In any event, at this point looking through my list of submissions it has occurred to me that I am really amazed at the response I've received to the game. I am going to have some difficult decisions to make in a week or so's time.
    Forar wrote: »

You don't have to take a theme, but there really isn't any reason not to and you can retrain them out later. Other themes will be released on wizards in the coming months.
    Litejedi wrote: »

The power and feat choices may be modified depending on party composition, and if you think punishing eye is not up to snuff, I could always swap it out for something else. The warforged artificer alchemist is the point of the build, however. Being a swordmage is secondary, and allows for some very amusing and interesting power combinations, but it is not necessary. The only problem with this hybrid as a 5th character is that I think generally, a 5th character is better as an attack enabler if you go away from the striker route. The hybrid presented is more of a buffer/damage reducer, and were I to truly want to optimize within the party I would go the route of some variant on the "switch" builds (lightswitch, killswitch, etc.) but that may be outside of the bounds of the character concept. The pure artificer version of the character (warforged artificer alchemist) has a very similar backstory and appearance, with some minor statistic changes.

Yeah, I am thinking of it towards a secondary leader type role within the party but it's worth noting such a build will be competing with the controller for its spot (Hence "5th character"). Definitely leaning towards two strikers for the campaign at the moment. Depending on how difficult I think the game is when I playtest my encounters a bit next week, I might go with a secondary leader more - which would make your hybrid Swordmage|Artificer a good choice for that. It's an interesting build.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    TheBog, since MM3 increasing monster damage across the board, even at Heroic tier when a, say, Carnage Demon hits for 2d6+5 damage with his basic attack, 4 damage resist is not going to keep you alive a whole lot longer than 4 extra AC. At all.

Consider a wraith for example, that is a level 5 lurker that generally misses a turn and then attacks. It's damage is 4d6+14 necrotic damage (targeting reflex at that). So generally speaking 4 damage reduction makes little impact on that. It just gets even worse by paragon/epic, because you're hit so easily the damage reduction doesn't make any significant impact on the monsters DPR compared with having better AC. It's a bit of a problem right now and one Wizards hasn't got around to fixing just yet.
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Aegeri: Could I possibly wait to see if I get in and what character you use of mine if I do get in to make an Orkos or mythweathers sheet? If not thats fine, I'll just need to get started on it because I'm about to head out to the beach for a few days and won't have a lot of laptop access.

That is more than fine. You don't need a fancy sheet until you get into the game, and I certainly won't be basing my decision to take any character based on if they have a mythweavers/orokoros sheet up at the moment.

Aegeri on
    edited June 2011
    What is a theme? Is that like a background?

fadingathedges on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, themes are like an heroic version of a paragon path or epic destiny. They give you a basic encounter power at 1st level, then a feature at level 5 and 10. Some can be more mechanically inclined than others, depending on what the theme is. You can also swap out utility powers with them as well.

They are also entirely free and add to your character without sacrificing anything else. There is a link to a post with a description of them in the OP IIRC.

Aegeri on
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Aegeri, I made a few changes to my character (increased charisma, changed my encounter power). Just to really bring out the "swashbuckler who can find out anything" idea I want to run with.

I hope to get in, the more I think about this campaign and the character I've designed, the more excited I get to see how it goes.

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, themes are like an heroic version of a paragon path or epic destiny. They give you a basic encounter power at 1st level, then a feature at level 5 and 10. Some can be more mechanically inclined than others, depending on what the theme is. You can also swap out utility powers with them as well.

They are also entirely free and add to your character without sacrificing anything else. There is a link to a post with a description of them in the OP IIRC.

Ahh, that's why I didn't quite "get it" when I read those. Are they all in Dragon?

From the few in your errata Seer could fit with Bal's flavor, though I don't quite comprehend the crunch.

fadingathedges on
  • IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hegantas Bloon, Human Seeker/Ranger | Explorer and Ex-Caravan Scout

Portrait
    Hegantas.png

Background
    Hegantas had a fairly uneventful childhood. Born on the streets of Korth, he spent most of his days playing with knives and causing general mischief, never really doing anything meaningful with his life. Always with a clever idea to get out of trouble, Hegantas became a local favorite amongst the market stalls that he didn't steal from.

Finding that his rabblerousing was more distraction than help, his parents forced him into service to the local House Orien enclave as a scout around the age of 12. Initially downtrodden at having to leave his home, Hegantas ultimately shrugged his shoulders and dove into his new occupation. Quickly he rose up the ranks of scouts, becoming intimately familiar with major trade routes across Khorvaire. He even became a favorite of several caravan headmasters. One of his specialties was avoiding some of the battles at the end of the Last War, finding hidden trails and alternate routes. His travels brought him as far west as Passage, where he was honored to see the Journey's Home Enclave, and as far east as the Lhazaar Prinicpalities.

On the last caravan he would scout for House Orien, after the end of the Last War, Hegantas was out ahead of the main group on a trail through the Whitepine Forest when he saw a large military encampment. Not wanting to tempt fate by moving too close, he suggested that they take a hunting trail that was well-traveled enough to get the wagons on, but not too well-known. As they maneuvered through the underbrush they were beset by mercenaries from the camp that had found the road at an earlier time. Hegantas fought bravely, but was beaten badly and left to die in the forest.

As he lay bloody in the woods, a spirit came to him and gave him new strength. The spirit coaxed him back to health, and helped guide him out of the woods and towards Tantamar, where he was able to obtain some quick coin and some new equipment. Ashamed at his failure to the House, he stayed on the move to avoid any runins with old acquaintances. Finally he decided to use his last coin to book passage on the Crimson Wave to get out away from the mainland and try and rebuild his fortunes.

Disposition & Appearance
    Dressed in a hodge podge of leathers, Hegantas is always a little bit dirty. He has short brown hair, green eyes and always has a smile on his face. He bears a scar down the right side of his face, a reminder of his brush with death. He has an long, athletic build that hides some of his strength.

Despite his close encounter, Hegantas always has a smile on his face and a quick retort just right for the occasion. He looks over his shoulder for House Orien on occasion, but never seems to let anything get him down. He's friendly and open, and likes to strike up conversation with just about anyone.

One more submission, just to try something that seems interesting. As before, I'm DM'ing one PbP, and playing in one other. I'm available to post every day, often multiple times a day.

Illianthar on
    edited June 2011
    Even if I don't get in this, I have to say building characters is a refreshing change from building encounters. Now I can see why my players will always want to stop in the middle of the game to go level up!

Also, reading the summary of Aegeri's Dark Sun maptools game puts my weekly get-together game to shame, I'm thinking about reskinning a couple of those fights.

Toxin01 on
    edited June 2011
    *whines* June twentieeeeth? But I wanna know noooow. *stomps feet and pouts*

TheBog on
    edited June 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    *whines* June twentieeeeth? But I wanna know noooow. *stomps feet and pouts*

Agreed! I've been expounding upon my backstory, but am hesitant to go to far. Kind of hoping that with all the outpouring of applicants to join the campaign, the door might get closed early and we'll see who gets to play.

I for one have a million idea's and a perfect plan for how to role play Ekar.

Anon the Felon on
    edited June 2011
    Alright, here's another submission I have. This guy was a favorite creation of mine and I never really got to play him. And sadly he doesn't translate into 4e well, so I've done the best I can.

I had a few requests pertaining to him:

I'm really trying to capture the feel of the soulknife and the lurk. So for flavor purposes, he will be using a mental katar, though mechanically nothing will change.

Additionally, how do you feel about letting sneak attack apply to his unarmed attacks? I think normally it requires a light blade. Just in case you're down with this, I've included a monk build. All of his psychic abilities would become pure flavor in this build.

Character Sheet:

Hexblade Version: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/3209 (I'm kind of partial to this one)

Monk version: http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/3198

Appearance:
    Nostu once had a charming face and radiant eyes that invited people to approach him. His confinement by the illithid changed him completely.
    He is shrouded in a grey-blue cloak and thick but flexible leather armor. His face is constantly shrouded by a cowl. His outerwear is adorned with scrawling patterns etched in silver. His complexion is pale and this light skin tone makes his eyes stand out, even beneath his cowl.

Where once he had eyes of deep violet now he has nothing. His eyes are completely blank, each of them merely a shifting veil of grey-blue, framed by his short shock of raven black hair. Though visually blind, his psychic presence paints a picture of the world for him in varying shades of purple (mechanically there is no difference between this and normal vision).

He wears no weapon, instead choosing to materialize his blades directly from his mind.

His bare skin is adorned with silver tattoos that he has painstakingly crafted into his skin.

Picture:
    Personality:
    Nostu was once joyful and full of life. When he first signed on with The Harlequins he was affable and warm-hearted. He was quick to offer his assistance and console other troupe members when they faced personal problems. Quick and quiet, he was their natural pick for one of their infiltration teams and in his early days he opened many locked doors and did his fair share of spying.

After his confinement Nostu has withdrawn completely into himself. He is short and to the point, avoiding small talk and idle banter whenever possible. There is work to be done and illithid to be killed. If you aren't advancing the mission, you're likely wasting his time.

Background (Apologies - it's a long one)
    It was supposed to have been a normal performance. Put on a show and assist House Phiarlan by quietly eliminating a few high profile members of House Thuranni. The twins were the two senior members sent to oversee the operation. Things went bad from the start.

The opening act had just taken the stage when the illithid struck. All at once several members of the audience dropped to the ground as mind blasts racked their brains. In the next instant the illithid materialized from thin air, dismissing their invisibility spells and launching another volley of deadly mind blasts. The Harlequins leapt into action vaulting from the stage and drawing weapons from hidden folds in their clothing. The audience that remained did the same – the illithid would not have an easy feast here but there were far too many of them to simply rout.

Tunos looked to Nostu and cried out, “What do we do brother?”

“We hold this position! Phiarlan should arrive shortly to aid us!” he replied as he drove his short sword into the back of a mind flayer.

A nearby drow overheard the exchange and interjected into their conversation, “Do not count on it. Shortly after this assault began Thuranni assaulted Phiarlan openly. They won’t be helping anyone!”

Suddenly the dire nature of the circumstances came into focus. The Harlequins had been played. Nostu wasn’t sure exactly how, but somewhere in the chaos wrought by the illithid attack Thuranni was taking advantage of it to usurp Phiarlan. This meant that the Thuranni had been expecting it. It also meant that help would be slower in arriving. Nostu was certain that the city wouldn’t stand for an open act of aggression by the illithid but it also meant that the help that did arrive had no vested interest in the well-being of the Harlequins. That meant this battle could become potentially costly.

“Tunos! Have everyone fall back to the market; the city guards will arrive eventually – we shouldn’t risk unnecessary losses!”

“Agreed! Harlequins, fall back!”

The performers rallied to the knight, and together they drove a wedge through the illithid, making their way towards the open street behind the swarm of panicked people. Nostu was attempting to rejoin the troupe when the mind blast hit him. His head swam and the world seemed to bleed – everything ran together and swirled in a pool of mingling colors. Still he trudged on.

The illithids looked at each other, puzzle written in their expressions. It didn’t last long. Another blast tore into Nostu’s mind and the world went black.

Tunos saw the tentacles close over his twin’s still form as the city guard broke onto the illithid line. He whipped his greatsword from his back and charged the mind flayers. The other Harlequins tried to restrain him but they couldn’t hold him. He cleaved a many-tentacled head from a body as the illithids begain to retreat, taking Nostu with them.

We got what we camefor.

Yes, the question is if we will have provoked the Houses…

Are you talking about the manipulation of House Phiarlan and Thuranni? Their anger will be directed at each other, not at ourselves. We have gained a foothold in The Harlequins. We shouldn’t waste it.

Yes…we should begin.

Nostu lay on the ground in a stone cold cell. Bars prevented any exit and the flayers stood just on the other side. They turned their attention to the rogue who watched them without comment.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Tunos looked at Nostu and spoke, “We should return to the headquarters immediately. In the meantime you should contact the new leadership. Who was elected again?”

Nostu started to speak, “Forgotten already brother? Hah, I suppose the illithid shook you up a little bit. It was…”
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

What’s wrong?

He’s resisting the intrusion.

How is that even possible? He didn’t present himself as a manifester.

Nostu watched them exchange thoughts silently. He offered them nothing of himself, merely watching and feeling the slight tingling of the air as they thought at each other. The Harlequins would come for him soon – he wouldn’t have to endure this long.

It had been weeks at least. The illithid probed and prodded his mind daily but Nostu was getting better at blocking them out. He had learned how to battle in his own mind and he could tell they were growing frustrated. Soon enough…soon enough Tunos would come for him. This nightmare would end.

Time had ceased to have meaning. Days flowed on endlessly. They had gouged his eyes out weeks ago…or had it been months? It mattered little. They had taken his sight, hoping to break his spirit – to make the shifting plane of the mind that they met him on more unstable and foreign to him. By all accounts and predictions it should have worked. It didn’t. The next time they engaged him he was more vicious than ever. He had actually succeeded in trapping one of the flayers in an endless psychic loop. Not wanting to share his ally’s fate, the other flayer left. Nostu was not kind to the one he had captured. He did not return to his body.

They started coming in greater numbers, he was never visited by less than four of the creatures. When they had finished with him for the day it was never with four. Eventually the nature of their visits changed. They no longer tried to enter his mind – the mindscape had become far too dangerous for them to engage him on. He had filled it with traps and secret passages that he could use to outmaneuver them. After careful planning he even managed to separate them and then engage them individually. The first time he had psychically destroyed the full party they had sent after him was the last time they attempted to search his mind.
    Now they resorted to merely standing outside his cell and mentally blasting him for hours on end. It had been painful at first. These days he regarded it as little more than a slight scratching in his cerebellum. He had even adapted to his lack of sight, using his psychic presence to paint the world around him in a purple hued representation of the visual. In many ways he saw better than ever.
    Finally there came a day when they did not visit him. It was that day that he knew they were sufficiently afraid. It was time to act.

He rose from his seated position on the ground. The world pulsed around him in a violet shade and he felt the tingle at the back of his head that told him the illithid were not far. He flexed his hand and then closed it. As he did so a brilliant green katar materialized in his closed fist. Its blade was long and shimmered with intricate patterns up and down its length. It was perfectly balanced – a complete extension of the mental weapon that it represented.

The green blade flashed through Nostu’s psychic sight and the bars fell that had defined the perimeter of his room since his capture fell to the ground. Freedom tasted…like nothing. Nostu took no joy in his escape. There was work to be done.
    He moved silently down the corridor. The flayer was completely unaware of his presence. There was an elder brain somewhere in the city and he intended to find it. He grasped the flayer from behind with his free hand and felt it randomly fire off a mind blast, hoping to dislodge its assailant. It stopped struggling when Nostu plunged the katar into its head. When he removed it a few seconds later the illithid dropped to the ground. Nostu walked away slowly, heading in the direction of the elder brain.

Tunos lopped the duergar’s head off as it charged at him. His greatsword pulsed with a fury. His once gleaming platemail was now dented and covered in blood – partly that of his enemies, partly his. He had been searching for over a year and he had left a bloody swathe across the Underdark in his search for his twin. The Harlequins had been open to tracking Nostu down – he was a senior member and had secrets that they would need to protect. But they had wanted to take their time in preparing. Tunos didn’t have time. As it was it had taken him a year to find his brother. He had finally made it and the bodies of countless thralls dotted the ground around him.

So far he had not encountered any illithid and that had been a blessing. He wasn’t sure how he would fare against a substantial number of them – truth be told he hadn’t thought his rescue through all the way. He had known only that he needed to reach Nostu as quickly as he could. The next wave of thralls halted in their approach. They looked around wildly for a moment and then began running, not at Tunos but towards the nearest exit. They no longer moved with the practiced precision that had coordinated their earlier efforts. Instead they ran wildly and chaotically, running as quickly as they could. Something had happened. Tunos picked up his pace as he headed deeper into the city.
    When Tunos finally found Nostu he had to fight down his urge to vomit. Countless illithid bodies littered the floor around him in various stages of dismemberment. Tentacles still writhed as though they were attached to the bodies that had formerly borne them. The walls were splattered with a grey material that resembled the hulking mass that rested beneath Nostu’s feet. The massive elder brain had been hacked apart and Nostu stood, lightly panting atop its destroyed form.

“N-Nostu!” Tunos called to his twin.

Nostu back flipped off the brain that he had sundered and landed behind his brother. With a swift movement he brought his katar up to Tunos’ head and was preparing to plunge it into his temple.

“Nostu it’s me! It’s Tunos!”

The katar wavered.
    “Tunos…brother.” He spoke without emotion though the katar did vanish.

“Come brother…let’s go home.”

Currently:

Nostu wasn't alive during the Last War. It is rumoured that the Harlequins, an ostensible performing group that uses their performances as cover operations to traffick information, steal valuable items and assassinate targets for a price, formed during the tumult of the War however.

Nostu is on assignment in the area for the Harlequins. His presence aboard the ship is likely related to the rumoured sacrophagus. And just as likely related to whoever is transporting it.

Tunos on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm definitely submitting for this.

Definitely

Delmain on