As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ringo wrote: »
    Yeah, really unsure why the corpses didn't have the bright blue eyes

Maybe the director felt that it would ruin the surprise?
    Spoiler for Ep 8:
    Didn't the one who attacked Jon in Mormont's room have blue eyes? Maybe I'm misremembering. Perhaps they don't have blue eyes until they reanimate.

I need to go back and rewatch this episode (and the pilot, apparently).

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could be wrong but didn't only the (i guess I'll spoiler it. pilot / ep 8 talk)
    white walker have blue eyes?

damnit now I have to go watch the pilot to check too

initiatefailure on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I could be wrong but didn't only the (i guess I'll spoiler it. pilot / ep 8 talk)
    white walker have blue eyes?

damnit now I have to go watch the pilot to check too

No.
    The Wight's have blue eyes - the little girl that was dead at the very begining of Ep.1 shows up like 2 minutes later with unnaturally bright blue eyes. I could be misremembering but I thought Ep8 spoliers
    the Wight's in Ep.8 had blue eyes, they just didn't go out of their way to showcase it.

Also, Long Live Peter Dinklage!!

....and long live the bearer of WINTER!

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Mostly it's because people want a blue dot without having to think of a post. This post is kinda like that as well.

I find your sentiment reflective of my own current behavior.

Though to add value, ep 8:
    I really expected the Wight in Mormont's rooms to have shockingly blue eyes, but they didn't look blue at all until they popped open after Jon first took it down.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thread tools > subscribe to thread. Then, when there are new posts it will appear in your user panel, and you can click first unread. Blue dotting is entirely unnecessary and makes no sense.

jakobagger on
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think...
    "The Wights" as you call them didn't have blue eyes until they reanimated, whereas the girl had blue eyes at the beginning because she had already reanimated and was just trying to scare the guys who came across the slaughter fest.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Thread tools > subscribe to thread. Then, when there are new posts it will appear in your user panel, and you can click first unread. Blue dotting is entirely unnecessary and makes no sense.
    Unless I want a visual indication of the threads I'm following on a screen I actually look at routinely.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jakobagger wrote: »

Unless you hardly ever go to the User Panel, and want to just quickly go to the D&D page and see if a thread you like has been bumped up.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    rocketvat wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Dinklage is exactly the Tyrion I'd imagined in the book. Exceptional job IMO.

It's hilarious to me that we can restart the thread, put up an enormous orange wall laying out the rules and why they exist, and then on the very first page we still have these posts that are literally just an observation (with zero substance, mind you) about the book.

Obviously, this isn't a spoiler by any stretch of the imagination, but how difficult is it to understand what NO BOOK DISCUSSION means?

He isn't talking about plot points or spoilers, it's harmless. Relax.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess. I just use my user panel as the first page I check, especially because I follow threads in different sub-fora. To each his own though, of course. I may have come off a bit more antagonistic and absolute than I meant to. Peace.

In other news I am really impressed and happy with the show. I was cautiously optimistic because it was HBO, but it has exceeded my expectations by a lot. Even though I've read all the books, it's still tense and exciting.

jakobagger on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HBO puts out the best shows on television, why were you anything less than optimistic?

Hank_Scorpio on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I think...
    "The Wights" as you call them didn't have blue eyes until they reanimated, whereas the girl had blue eyes at the beginning because she had already reanimated and was just trying to scare the guys who came across the slaughter fest.

My theory is that the white walkers are...
    people like any other, not re-animated corpses. The girl in Ep 1 was a white walker, just feigning death. The corpses in Ep 8 were just affected by them, and probably wouldn't become white walkers.

I haven't read the books, so I could be completely wrong, but I don't think we have enough information about the white walkers yet. What surprises me is that the seasoned veterans at the Wall seemed just as novice as the recruits regarding the white walkers.

(edit) Is this a thread about blue dots or a TV show?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jragghen wrote: »
    qqvol0.jpg

Every. Page.

Shadowen on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think...

people like any other, not re-animated corpses. The girl in Ep 1 was a white walker, just feigning death. The corpses in Ep 8 were just affected by them, and probably wouldn't become white walkers.

I haven't read the books, so I could be completely wrong, but I don't think we have enough information about the white walkers yet. What surprises me is that the seasoned veterans at the Wall seemed just as novice as the recruits regarding the white walkers.

It's a thread about the dot-like blue eyes of the zombies created by the white walkers!

Anyway, while they didn't show a close up or anything, in episode 8 they definitely mentioned the zombie guy having blue eyes in dialog. I think that's enough, really.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    edited June 2011
    HBO puts out the best shows on television, why were you anything less than optimistic?

Well, because it was an adaptation of a book that I loved. That can end badly. But because it was HBO, I expected it to be at least pretty good. I mean, I've seen the Wire, and that was so great it made me skip a semester (I could go to class? Nah, gonna watch Baltimore dissolve instead.). But in the end Game of Thrones was even better than I expected it to be! So that was nice.

PS. also sometimes I express myself poorly because English is not my first language and I don't quite have the full intuitive grasp of it.

jakobagger on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HBO needs to put out more merch.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

They should put up a bunch of "I've made a huge mistake" shirts.
    tumblr_llxgiuissy1qk2t5co1_500.jpg

Tomanta on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »

That pic has Littlefinger's best trollface ever.

Dracomicron on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Spoilered for most recent episode:
    tumblr_lmi5ygSlDz1qen2tho1_500.gif
    You can see that the wight's eyes were blue, but it was dark in the room, and I don't think there was a real closeup.

Tarantio on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's hilarious to me that we can restart the thread, put up an enormous orange wall laying out the rules and why they exist, and then on the very first page we still have these posts that are literally just an observation (with zero substance, mind you) about the book.

Obviously, this isn't a spoiler by any stretch of the imagination, but how difficult is it to understand what NO BOOK DISCUSSION means?

People have been giving away shit left and right, all telling me AAHHOHOAHAHAHAHAhaahaha!!!

Octoparrot on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »

People have been giving away shit left and right, all telling me
    Sansa and Arya
    will be in next season. :x Well, gee, thanks. Now I know that they won't get brutally murdered some time in the next two episodes!

This show has zombies. Being brutally murdered means absolutely nothing when it comes to whether or not someone will be in the next season.

Dracomicron on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What surprises me is that the seasoned veterans at the Wall seemed just as novice as the recruits regarding the white walkers.
    Per various people's dialog, nothing horrible has been south of the Wall in hundreds or thousands of years. Even dire wolves, which are just really big dogs, are never seen south of the Wall anymore and, I think they said in ep 1, even rare up there. The last time zombies and white walkers showed up was generations and generations before the oldest veteran was born. Most of them probably either believe or at least hope that the legendary monsters are either completely made up or have all died.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

That pic has Littlefinger's best trollface ever.

I'm convinced that's why they cast that actor.

Trollfaces > Leaden Delivery.

The Fourth Estate on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    People have been giving away shit left and right, all telling me <redacted> will be in next season. :x Well, gee, thanks. Now I know that they won't get brutally murdered some time in the next two episodes!

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time believing your anger is genuine. Because you just did exactly what you're upset about. Edit your post and stop being a silly goose.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Oh shit I cracked up.

fadingathedges on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

In of itself, it's no big deal, the problem is, a comment like that is very likely to evoke a response. Such as "he's not quite how I pictured him, because in the book he's more .....", and away we go with the spoilers.

It's safer for the non-readers if people just don't post about the books at all.

spamfilter on
  • UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did anyone else parse
    Barristan's parting words to Joffrey as "take this sword and sit on it?"

Because I did.

UnarmedOracle on
    signature.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Oh shit I cracked up.

There is plenty more over at Arrested Westeros.

Tomanta on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think...

Regarding people not knowing much about the white walkers, apparently they've been sleeping for a thousand years or so. They've been reduced to myth, legend, and scary bedtime stories told to scare children into being good.

Sam did mention reading a book about them, which provided some details on how to spot and destroy them, so they're not TOTALLY in the dark about how the White Walker's operate.

immortal squish on
    <3
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, all I have to say about this last episode is that at least it wasn't blue.

But damn, wasn't quite ready for it.

mcdermott on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Also, all I have to say about this last episode is that at least it wasn't blue.

oh, HBO

So It Goes on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FSSA7.jpg

See, that's the popular joke.

I would have put Farscape's Stark in there.
    Xjdwt.jpg

Although ...

it'd make for a pretty awesome Iron Man story if he got knocked into Westeros.

Or, if Westeros was just a Super Ancient Earth type deal, Tony Stark is the Great-<insert many thousands of greats>-grand child of Eddard.

Tamin on
    edited June 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

oh, HBO

Oh yeah, HBO.

mcdermott on
    edited June 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    qqvol0.jpg

Every. Page.

Also, DONE.

mcdermott on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I like the cut of your jib, mcdermott.

Shadowen on
    edited June 2011
    I really could just watch that thing all day. The only sad thing, to me, is knowing that there's a high probability that Dinklage wasn't actually smacking the shit out of that kid.

mcdermott on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really could just watch that thing all day. The only sad thing, to me, is knowing that there's a high probability that Dinklage wasn't actually smacking the shit out of that kid.

it's not his fault he got a double dose of douchebag genes!

LEAVE JOFFREY ALONE

(no don't actually, god I hate joffrey)

So It Goes on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've come to really like Osha. She's cool, if a bit... eccentric.

I'm also wondering about the exact process of, uhh, Wightification, I guess. Is it simply anyone killed by a White Walker("magic dun did it") or is there a short process("magic dun did it thru sum ritual/spellwork shit")? Could it be a function of the weapons they wield or would someone become a Wight if one of the Others headbutted them until they stopped kicking and screaming? Oh, and besides burning the bodies, would sufficient brain/skull trauma during death be enough to keep a victim down for good? How about removing the head entirely? I figure a Walker would be a bit more careful with that, of course, despite the whole "I just cleaved you from scalp to ballsack" thing.

These are the questions that I ponder while I'm waiting for games to patch.

Liquid Ghost on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've come to really like Osha. She's cool, if a bit... eccentric.

I'm mostly just glad she's started standing up. Wasn't very happy with her appearance in the first few episodes, but now she fits my mental image like a glove.

Can't stop watching episode 8. So happy with it.

Tamin on
This discussion has been closed.