As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Abyss is open to players at 25. They had to make something available to people that just ran off and did pvp without leveling up much after that.

I hit 35 on my Glad, and I'm kind of having a hard time going on. I realize now why my main hit 40 and I stopped playing back in the day. I think I'm going to finish out my paid time and unsubscribe. I think I just needed that MMO fix and now I'm full.

spookymuffin on
    PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you're like me and you are compelled to do every quest even though you outlevel them STOP.

That's what was killing me, until I realized you only really have to do the main campaigns, and just do a few quests at each hub that's right in your way. With the increase in exp it's so much easier.

Transporter on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If a quest doesn't reward half a million XP, I don't bother with it. I'm not even doing coin quests because by the time I get enough to buy anything, I've already outleveled the rank gear.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What the hell level do missions start giving 500k xp? At 23, I only need like, what, 2 mil to level and the highest reward I've seen is 100k; most are like 50-70k.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited June 2011
    What the hell level do missions start giving 500k xp? At 23, I only need like, what, 2 mil to level and the highest reward I've seen is 100k; most are like 50-70k.

From 33 to 34, it took 9 million. 34 to 35, 13 million. Even con mobs are worth 45k xp, though.

Word of advice: Save your XP amulets for FT. I had 45% energy and each mob was worth 190k. I ran out of energy before the first boss and was still earning 130k.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I see some level 48 missions giving out 2.5M XP for killing 40 mobs.

Some of the story mission ones in the early 40s seemed to be pretty high and this was before they messed with rewards.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    one thing to keep in mind is that you dont' really outlevel gear that easily in this game. If you save up your bronze or silver coins for the blues or gold coins for the golds, you can wear that stuff for at least 5-10 levels. There's a reason people PvP in level 30 pvp gear until 55 even though the level 40 stuff has better stats.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Also keep in mind that the coins aren't bound and you can use them with alts should you choose to level one. The higher level ones might be, but I know the early ones aren't. I just put them all in my account warehouse and will save money on gear that I need to fill that I don't get via survey.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Reactivation ends tomorrow morning; just a reminder.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Also keep in mind that the coins aren't bound and you can use them with alts should you choose to level one. The higher level ones might be, but I know the early ones aren't. I just put them all in my account warehouse and will save money on gear that I need to fill that I don't get via survey.

Plat coins are bound.

On another note, they would save a shitload of text space if they just put soulbound for untradable items that cant be put in the account warehouse, and account bound for untradable items that can.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Huh...I can still log in even though the event was supposed to end several hours ago. I wonder if extending the xp event to the 22nd also extended the reactivation event.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I missed a whole day!

I wish I could post new threads, because I would have posted what I had to do to one of my GTX 495 Co-ops today.

Thanks to the hippies and their fear of lead, everyone is stuck using that little-to-no-lead solder, which as we know from Xbox 360 history, causes it to fissure if you even breathe warm breath on it. Since I'm weary of wrapping my computer with a wet towel, I disassembled the GPU completely. I removed the thermal tape, vacuumed as much cat hair out of the vanes as I could, and then set it on a pan, propped up with foil, GPU facing down.

Now, since I'm a shitty culinarian, I had the wife toss it in the oven at 400 degrees for 8 minutes, then shut off the oven and let it sit for an hour to prevent it from cooling too fast and causing the cheap eco-friendly solder from cracking.

I'm back to running Aion at full strength, and every time I think about what I had to do to get this shit to work, I just think about how pissed off the hippies are with their mountains of faulty electronics polluting their fragile Mother Earth, whereas just a couple grams of lead for each of them could have prevented heaps of junk from failing.

Eat it, sunflower!

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Any Asmos running around on Zikiel?

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I've been running an Asmos Cleric for the last couple days. Only level 24 currently though, name is Shayes, much like my Elyos SM.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Heh, after being able to log in still yesterday afternoon I was hoping they just forgot to turn off reactivated accounts.

Nope, reactivation is all done.

That was fun. I don't think I'll be resubscribing right now, but if I manage to get my new PC built by Christmas I'll probably pay for a month or two just to dick around and see if I can't manage to at least get one character to the cap. I hate owning a MMO and not taking a character all the way up, even if that's all I do.

I didn't really see any PA people on at all when I was playing, but I did play at odd hours.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess I'm way WAY late to the party ^_^;

Just got a free Trial and have been checking the game out. Seems like a lot of fun, and I'm kinda tired of Wow.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There is a SHITLOAD of RNG in this game. If I didn't enjoy D&D so much, it would probably bother me. An attack that ranges from 200 damage crits to 2200 damage non-crits (yes, I worded that properly) is very strange, and chain skills that have a very low chance to proc always seem to proc when you don't need them.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Alright so anyone that is playing Asmos on Zikel, I do own a small Legion mostly for me and a friend or two. Though I would happily invite any of you. My character name is again, Shayes. So just send me a message in game if you want an invite.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Will do. I have a sin Pianissima, and a SM Tortalius that I use w/some frequency.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm still playing in the legion I was invited to on Vaizel Elyos, just kind of killed windows and wanting to upgrade to 7.

Hunter_Killers on
    4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    ok, so I totally lied earlier. Apparently I'm on Siel.

Tcheldor on
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just started this, I'm an asmos on Spatalos, name's Teep if you want to group up or something, the game seems good fun so far, refreshingly just different enough from Wow, but not quite as complicated as Rift

TPSou on
  • Options
    Aion (Assault on Balaurea, which is the complete game) is on sale for the daily deal today on Steam for $7.50.

It, like every other MMO on earth, gives a free month of gameplay for new subs. I'm not certain if it comes with a free month for people who are already account holders but NCSoft games usually provide a free month to everyone with their xpacks and full version upgrades like this so I wouldn't be surprised if this came with a free month regardless. However, since the contents of the pack were a free upgrade and this just replaced the base game, if you're a current account holder, all you'll get from this is some pets.

But anyway, Aion isn't a bad game at all and $7.50 is a nice price to try it out for a month and see if it's for you.

The most recent change in game was the release of 2.6, at least I think it just came out. Maybe it's about to come out? Anyway, the biggest change that I know of with 2.6 was a solo version of one of the big instances added in 2.5 who's name escapes me right now.

Sorry, I just stopped following info for the game awhile ago so I can't be more helpful.

And if anyone who is thinking of, and/or has already, picked it up, i'll just go ahead and answer the preemptive question: No, there is no longer any Penny Arcade presence anywhere. There might be one or two people who still play who posted here but I don't know who and there is certainly not any longer a legion or any set servers. I don't even think the OP is updated with the post-merge server lists but if you read back the last couple pages there is discussion of where folks are that were going to try the free week awhile back.

• Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    I am trying out this game with its free 10 day trial. Can I buy this steam offer and have it upgrade my current account with extra 30days?

• Options
    Yeah but im not sure if they'll count those ten days as part of the 30. You can definitely upgrade your trial and have a month. I imagine if you scrounge the ncsoft site you can get a more definitive answer

• Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    There's another reactivation event coming up September 22nd to October 1st.

http://na.aiononline.com/news/announcements/aion-reactivation-week-2-year-anniversary

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    Just a bump since the reactivation starts tomorrow and a list of the daily survey rewards:
    -September 22nd, 2011: Inquin Pet
    -September 23rd, 2011: Ascension Energy x50
    -September 24th, 2011: 15 Day Recovery Serum x1
    -September 25th, 2011: Enchantment Stone Box x1
    -September 26th, 2011: Major Ancient Crown x3
    -September 27th, 2011: MYSTERY GIFT
    -September 28th, 2011: Felictous Socketing Supplements x2 (Eternal or Fabled)
    -September 29th, 2011: Manastone Bundle x3
    -September 30th, 2011: [Emotion Card] Hug Me
    -October 1st, 2011: 30 Day Title [4% Attack Speed, 4% Cast Speed, 4% Runspeed]
    -October 2nd, 2011 (post reactivation): 3 Major Ancient Crowns, Enchantment Stone Box and your choice of: 5 Platinum Medals, 10 Gold Medals, or 10 Silver Medals

Keep in mind the last one requires a paid subscription the day after the event ends.

Also just a list of the 'events' for the reactivation:
    September 07 - October 05: Picking up the Past Event
    September 21 - October 26: Ascension Festival
    September 21 - September 28: 'For War and Glory' Reduced AP Loss Event!
    September 21 - October 05: Double XP Event
    September 21 - October 05: Double Drop Rate Event

I'm not sure if I'll be around for this reactivation at all with what I have going on but if I do I'm sure I'll be on my Elyos Templar.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Huh... guess that doesn't include trial accounts, obviously.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Yeah, just normal accounts that are and were in good standing.

If you're wondering just try to log into your ncsoft account and look at your status for your Aion account.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    /sigh

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    One is a Trial account, other is a Beta account. Admittedly, it's not the 22nd yet.

• Options
    Yeah I doubt either of those will work. :(

I'm pretty sure it has to have been a paid account at some point.

• Options
    So.

They sent me an email going all "OMG dude join the party!"

But I can't join the party =(

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So, bummer. I closed my account in 11/2009. Sometime after that, the account was reactivated and had the contact info switched and was used for gold selling. I never got any kind of contact about this. Apparently the hacker also deleted any characters I had on the account. Then the server mergers happened. Those characters are all permanently gone now.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote:
    So, bummer. I closed my account in 11/2009. Sometime after that, the account was reactivated and had the contact info switched and was used for gold selling. I never got any kind of contact about this. Apparently the hacker also deleted any characters I had on the account. Then the server mergers happened. Those characters are all permanently gone now.

Had a similar thing happen to me both times i went to re-activate my account after a hiatus from the game. Both times my account was banned and i had to go through 3 days of shit with their customer service to get it back from some douche in china who stole it. How their account security is that bad I will never know.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    I'm still really enjoying the game. Lack of players is its worse issue, since most of the PvP type content really requires a healthy player base.

The only major complaint I have besides that is the drop rates on boss loot is terribad and PvP points acquire too slow, but at least it's fun.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    So, 3.0 is coming out in Korea in a week, probably in the west in a few months.

Looks pretty damn awesome, with housing, mounts, new areas etc.

Here's a trailer with some stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEffax8id4&feature=player_embedded

Bit of info here

I may have to check it out when it comes out since my new pc parts should be able to run the game with everything looking pretty. I'm sure the housing stuff is going to cost a fortune, and individual furniture probably not cheap too. But it looks like the housing "area" will have seasons and stuff, so that's cool. That was always one of my favorite parts of PSO/PSU, with the seasonal lobbies and such. Just made things feel more alive...or something.

EDIT: The idea of mounts in a game where you have wings seems a bit odd.

But it also is a bit odd they limit where you can fly so damn much too..soo...who knows?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    man aion is such a pretty game

i really loved the aesthetics and gameplay style at launch. the grind was just so insufferable and the amount of shit you had to acquire and generally farm was overwhelming, not to mention the incredibly difficult / one-sided pvp. granted i almost never did any pvp at all cus i only just barely got to a level where you could even go to the pvp zone.

but these trailers, man, these trailers. have they reduced the grind at all? because i forgot how incredibly pretty and massive the aion world was

also i genuinely and deeply loathe the horrible lolita style characters they put in. why? whyyyyy

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    They have reduced the grind significantly though it is still there more than you'd find in, say, WoW.

You get xp amulets handed to you like candy to the point that you can pretty much always have bonus xp.

Awhile back they significantly increased quest XP, so that helps too.

My understanding is that pvp is still pretty lopsided on most servers, but there is ever increasing pve content so from what I gather there's still things to do; though even the pve content is supposed to lead to pvp or something.

• Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    Argh...Aion is so insanely pretty. I love the world, the lore, the music so much. The animations are probably the best in any MMO. Yet I can't ever play it because there will never be PvE servers. Now I am depressed. :(