As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Essential Handheld Games For PAX

2»

• Options
    tarnethtarneth Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    3DS owners, as E3 starts next Tuesday, keep an eye out for new multiplayer experiences! Especially Heroes of Ruin, which is sounding like a good PAX game... we may or may not see it out before August though. Now that I think about it it's probably doubtful...

tarneth on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think I'm going to go through my DS collection tonight and just toss out a massive list of good MP games for it. the 3DS list will be very short, since only SSF4 is any good right now =/

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I think I'm going to go through my DS collection tonight and just toss out a massive list of good MP games for it. the 3DS list will be very short, since only SSF4 is any good right now =/

DOA dimensions is solid also on the 3DS. Also by pax we will have RE mercs and star fox

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm buying a DS (my old one broke..Damn neighbor kid.) just for PAX. Can't wait now..Going to be picking up some Multiplayer games as well because I still have some of my old games.

Chichen on
  • Options
    dougwtdougwt Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    I too am thinking about getting a DS so I can partake in the multiplayer fun this year. As someone who has never owned a DS, is there any difference in functionality between the DSi and 3DS as far as multiplayer goes? Will DSi owners be able to play with 3DS owners and vice versa? Do you need to be connected to a wifi network to play with others around you?

dougwt on
  • Options
    EvilEvincarEvilEvincar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One thing I would like to know is this: which game should I keep in my DS for Tag Mode: Pokemon Black or Dragon Quest 9. When I went to Sakura-Con in April I found more than a few people with Pokemon (about 100 pings). I wasn't as far as I wanted in Dragon Quest at the time.
    Another question: is even good to keep the DS in tag mode? I mean, there's more than enough Wifi signals that cause severe problems as is. And that was in years before the iPhone. Now, it's hard to get a good signal at a Mariners game. So would it just be better for everyone to keep the tag modes to a minimum?

EvilEvincar on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    EvilEvincar.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can guarantee you that almost everyone with a 3DS will have streetpass enabled, so a few DS's in tag mode won't make that much of an impact.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MONSTER FUCKING HUNTER!!!

I will be carrying around 3rd Portable and Unite

Unite: I am a bowgunner
    3rd Portable: A Lancer

NovaFlares on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chances are excellent for my bringing Dragon Quest IX again this year. I may still need to find a high enough level ice map to kill some Blight Knights by then... >.<

/hatesRNG

I've got all but one of the legacy boss maps at level 1 from last year, (one is like level 18) so I'll be passin' those out too.

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been wanting to get some valkyria chronicles 2 action on.

I'll make sure to get peace walker and patapon 3 as well.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    OK, my wife and I decided to bite the DS bullet so to speak because, well we're going all out for this, and she travels a lot for work so a DS makes sense.
    We'll pick up Mario Kart as well as a few single player games (Scribblenauts and mario DS) likely for the plane rides to and fro. Any other thoughts? We're not big Pokemon people anymore but we'd love to pick up something else to be involved and connected ;).

tsrblke on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    tsrblke wrote: »
    OK, my wife and I decided to bite the DS bullet so to speak because, well we're going all out for this, and she travels a lot for work so a DS makes sense.
    We'll pick up Mario Kart as well as a few single player games (Scribblenauts and mario DS) likely for the plane rides to and fro. Any other thoughts? We're not big Pokemon people anymore but we'd love to pick up something else to be involved and connected ;).

Depends on if you're picking up one DS or two.... i.e. if you're playing together or separately.

Advance wars: Dual Strike or Days Of Ruin both have hotseat modes, so one system can be used for multiplayer.

DQIX, Puzzle Quest, M&M Clash of Heroes are all excellent for single or multiplayer,

Tetris, Picross, Puyo Pop, Worms Open Warfare, Metroid Pinball, all have great single card multiplayer, which are good for pax

Hope that's a good starting point!

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Cool thanks,
    at $100 a pop we are only going for 1 DS. We won't use 2.

tsrblke on
  • Options
    WizardWizard Registered User regular
    I think that Pokemon makes a better passive tag game, and that we should arrange DQIX meet-ups. That way, everyone who needs certain maps can get what they need in one swoop. (Passive tagging works, but having to check that you haven't maxed out the session with 3 every so often gets annoying quickly.)

I'm back from last year with an even crazier assortment of maps...I suppose we should make another DQ9 PAX topic for this Prime, eh?

• Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    any dead or alive players on the 3DS out there (WHY GOD WHY DO I LIKE GAMES NO ONE ELSE DOES )

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Wizard wrote:
    I think that Pokemon makes a better passive tag game, and that we should arrange DQIX meet-ups. That way, everyone who needs certain maps can get what they need in one swoop. (Passive tagging works, but having to check that you haven't maxed out the session with 3 every so often gets annoying quickly.)

I'm back from last year with an even crazier assortment of maps...I suppose we should make another DQ9 PAX topic for this Prime, eh?

I guess I need to pull this out and make sure all the critical maps are beat so I can share. Is anyone aware of any new hot maps that showed up after last years prime?

• Options
    Well, San Diego Comic Con had the NOA6 Rhapthorne map, which I hope shows up.

New York Comic Con had the NOA2 Nokturnus map.

Thing is, with all of the quests available as of July, these aren't THAT sought after, because you can get them in another manner.

Otherwise it's just the All-MKS/Gem Slime floor maps, and those were going out last year. I do have some interesting maps from a Japanese player, specifically one referred to as a "Millionaire Map", as with some Quick Save/Quick Load abuse, you can very quickly get valuable pieces of equipment to see and make a million in less than half an hour.

Though there are always new players who could use the boost.

• Options
    NormanPrideNormanPride Registered User regular
    I haven't touched DQ9 since I beat it last year, mostly because I only had one map and I'm not a huge fan of grinding. Even at that level would I be okay to get some of these maps?

• Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    Hey for people still considering buying a DS (myself included) 3DS is coming down to $170 Mid-August.

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hey for people still considering buying a DS (myself included) 3DS is coming down to $170 Mid-August.

And current owners (people that buy a 3DS up until the night before the price drop) of 3DS will get 20 free game downloads.
    (sorry I meant to edit my post not quote it and start a new one)

ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    I haven't touched DQ9 since I beat it last year, mostly because I only had one map and I'm not a huge fan of grinding. Even at that level would I be okay to get some of these maps?

If you beat the game, you're well past the point you would be able to receive maps. You don't have to be sharing a map to get maps from others, but it's nice to have at least something to share (apart from the first one the game gives you)

You will leave PAX with tons of useful maps, don't worry!

• Options
    Dan-ODan-O Registered User regular
    Suggestions for DS newbies of games good to have at PAX?

Anything for short, casual play with others is good, especially those forgiving of a skill gap. I don't mind losing, but I'd like anyone else to still enjoy the game.

I'm a complete DS newbie, living in a console-free bubble for twenty years. I'll be using the DS that I gave to my wife when she was on bedrest (she's fine now, thanks), and our experience is limited to the Prof. Layton titles - good fun, but not ideal for multiplay.

Mario Kart? Anything else?

• Options
    Hrm. Looking through this topic, I'm guessing there's not a strong enough DQ9 following to organize a meet-up with the Portable Lounge enforcer's blessing.

Guess I'll just leave it in tag mode and see what comes of it. I wouldn't mind trying to organize which maps we'd all be handing out though. Anyone for it?

• Options
    GreyfeldGreyfeld Registered User regular
    I opted for a DSi XL, as I decided $250 was too much to pay for what is essentially a gimmick in the 3DS (it's a neat gimmick, but not enough to make me shell out the extra money, especially with only a handful of games available).

I don't think I'll ever understand this line of thinking. Assuming you aren't excited about the 3D aspect, the 3DS is still a noticeable upgrade in graphics over the DS. In addition, it has backward compatibility with DS games.

The only valid reasonings I can think of to get a DS over a 3DS at this point are:

1. You just don't have the 250+ to shell out for the 3DS.
    2. You want to be able to play GBA games.
    3. You already have physical DS cartridges.

• Options
    FenrisknightFenrisknight Token Canadian CanadianRegistered User regular
    As per usual, I will be the crazy guy starting 8 player games of bomberman in the main lineup :D

• Options
    Greyfeld wrote:
    I don't think I'll ever understand this line of thinking. Assuming you aren't excited about the 3D aspect, the 3DS is still a noticeable upgrade in graphics over the DS. In addition, it has backward compatibility with DS games.

The only valid reasonings I can think of to get a DS over a 3DS at this point are:

1. You just don't have the 250+ to shell out for the 3DS.
    2. You want to be able to play GBA games.
    3. You already have physical DS cartridges.

4) The 3D isn't worth the extra cost. My wife and I picked up a DS lite for $99, that's $150 (that we had) that can go elsewhere now (like games, which we bought 3 of right off the bat). It's all about weighing priorities. (Ours was to have one for PAX and when my wife travels, making it not woth the $250--soon to be $170)

• Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    I'm on the verge of buying a 3DS after the price drop today. Does anyone know whether a UK 3DS will be able to play multiplayer games against people with a US console and games?

Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options
    Wizard wrote:
    Hrm. Looking through this topic, I'm guessing there's not a strong enough DQ9 following to organize a meet-up with the Portable Lounge enforcer's blessing.

Guess I'll just leave it in tag mode and see what comes of it. I wouldn't mind trying to organize which maps we'd all be handing out though. Anyone for it?

New thread inc... It's time.