As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

EVE Online: A study in internet spaceships and bad posts

• scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    don;t play eve online. thanks.

scrivenerjones on
  • VulnoXVulnoX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry to resurrect a 5 day old thread since last reply, but the application process said to put it on here.

My in game name is Vulnox, just recreated my account, working on remembering what I was last doing.

Thanks!

VulnoX on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you might need to post in the G&T thread spy

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I caved and bought this on steam when it was on sale for $5. I have done the trial a few times before but I finally have the time to play this, even if its casually.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    VulnoX wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect a 5 day old thread since last reply, but the application process said to put it on here.

My in game name is Vulnox, just recreated my account, working on remembering what I was last doing.

Thanks!

post in the mmo forum thread

I'm not a director(thankfully)

PiptheFair on
    edited May 2011
    ultimakay wrote: »
    I caved and bought this on steam when it was on sale for $5. I have done the trial a few times before but I finally have the time to play this, even if its casually.

You foooooooolll

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Veretas, it hungers.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited May 2011
    NOPE NOT GONNA DO IT YOU CAN'T MAKE ME NOOOOOO

I'll probably resub in june though once Incarna comes out.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We'll let you know if we still have a home.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited May 2011
    Baidol give me a war report

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I'm lazy so I'll just copy the last CEO update.
    tumblr_ljas0ps6xU1qf8qtwo1_400.jpg
    uncle mittens is disappointed in basically everyone but you, gentle goons

CEO UPDATE: What The Fuck, Seriously?

The ugly drama of the War in the North - like a bad reality TV series focusing on meth-addled incompetents in the American South, a fascinating yet cringeworthy spectacle that gives the distinct sense that you have become soiled by even watching it - has entered another shambolic phase, a phase already (in its bare first few days, no less) marked by gross political missteps, strategic indecision, and rampant paste-eating idiocy. Judging by our four mothership losses yesterday, some of that paste went down our gullets.

TEST dons the Burger King Crown, declares themselves Lords of All They Survey

When I wrote my most recent column detailing the structural problems in the Northern Coalition, I didn’t anticipate having it essentially paraphrased and re-read by the new leader of TEST as an excuse to reset the North, especially not while we’re locked in a desperate defense of Tribute. Nor did I expect that paraphrasing to take place amidst a seven-minute diatribe of a speech which glossed over with an almost comically self-righteous blindness the fact that it was the Northern Coaliton’s own supercapitals who took TEST’s stations for them in Fountain.

A few days ago, Montolio approached me with several plans, none of which were ideal. In one, TEST would abandon all its sov, becoming ‘nomads’ and probably attacking the NC. As TEST has never had to be nomadic, they have romanticized the idea of it, unaware of how shitty schlepping your crap around the galaxy is in reality. Another plan was to simply reset the NC and pull out of the North. That seemed to be the least foolish of options, but I was surprised by the choice to give a speech and spew forth the insults it contained rather than doing a quiet 'soft reset' through normal diplomatic channels. That gained nothing for anyone; should the NC still exist in a few weeks, odds are good that they will hunger for vengeance, or an easier target to displace their rage upon than the DRF.

The NC Situation

The only thing that is truly maintaining the peace in Tribute is the fact that, perhaps fearing a future Tech nerf, no one has (yet) stepped up to drop SBUs and suffer through the atrocities of the Dominion sov system to take the damn region from Morsus Mihi. That’s a good thing for us, since there’s no obvious way that we - or anyone - can defeat a blob of 80 supercarriers backed by 30 Titans in US Prime. Of course, as I write this, a Morsus logistics person boofed a perfectly easy timer for a critical tower in UMI, Tribute's 'second capital', so maybe the whole thing is about to cave in like a rotten melon.

I have no great love for the random guest fodder in the NC, the OWNs or the RAGEs or the high councils, low councils, democratic roleplayers or merchant empires. Once all of this nonsense is over, we are likely to be revising our standings accordingly, as we have expended a tremendous amount of effort at every level to prop up a decrepit structure that is surprisingly full of people who hate goons for being goons - perhaps because many of the modern NC leaders have BoB employment histories (Nunu Dagobah, LordDragonMPS, our dear old Yaay). Many of these entities have accreted around our friends in Morsus and Razor like barnacles on the hull of a poorly-maintained ship.

Yet say what you will about the NC as a whole, we (like Lannisters) will not forget our debts to Razor or Morsus Mihi - and we owe them for years of blood and war from Tenerifis through to Delve and back again. There will be no ‘fuck the North’ speech from me. We may have accidentally reset OWN, though. Oops!

Right now the hostile forces burning Tribute have a tremendous amount of momentum. Their pilots know that the NC (or us, yesterday!) will serve up between 1-4 supercapital killmails a day and generally flail about like spastics. The only dangerous force they've been facing of late has been our Alphafleets or NC Abaddon fleets led by Boat, and these they either avoid or drop a massive supercap blob on. Because of all the blueballs and foolishness, we're not going to be throwing our fleets into lost causes any longer. Well-timed towers we can send forces for, but we won't be cleaning up after a bedshitting such as the UMI nonsense that just occurred.

The White Noise Conspiracy That Wasn’t

Where are the angry RMTing Russians at the gates of Tribute? When the assault on Morsus began, we feared that WN was intending to take over Tribute, abandon their space in the South, and set up some kind of game-breaking RMT empire - the kind which ruined Lineage 2, for example. Yet this has not come to pass. As Awagon has burned and purged their way north through White Noise territory, WN has repeatedly sent their supercapital blob home to try to defend their old territory, behavior hardly consistent with our tidy and adorably apocalyptic conspiracy theory.

The fact is, I’m not entirely sure what the hell is going on any more. So many variables have opened up in the past two weeks - amidst a nasty bout of bronchitis which I’ve had to medicate heavily with codeine cough syrup and that Whole Pesky Iceland Trip - that it's hard to tell who's doing what. Perhaps White Noise has realized (as we have) that Tech will be nerfed, probably sooner rather than later. Perhaps there never was a ~RMT Conspiracy~ though given their financial patterns I'm still of the belief that White Noise is connected heavily as a supplier to a shop. Perhaps it just doesn't make business sense to abandon their old territory if a tech nerf is going to rape the North.

Obligatory CSM Disclaimer: Our finance team has been planning for a tech nerf for months now, and we expect that the bonanza can't last more than 6 months. This has absolutely nothing to do with anything I may or may not have learned/said at the CSM Summit, and pretty much every entity which holds tech is looking at how our collective income got raped by the anom nerf and is laying in plans (all ugly) for what happens when tech can't pay our sov bills for us.

What Are You Up To, Anyway?

At a personal level, I've been swamped by space chaos and plague. These times of crisis are very exciting at a metagame level, but I've been frustrated and left angry by some of the foolishness by people On Our Side of late. We're spearheading a couple of interesting projects, such as 'Jabberlon 5', a new jabber server which every magnate in the game can participate in regardless of standings. Meanwhile, TEST might have just cut our bloc in half and the NC can't time for US Prime to literally save their lives.

On a lot of levels, it's a lot easier to be invaded yourself and work towards the defense of your own region than it is to try to help your allies, being unable to use any of the resources at your disposal or your excellent people. We have a crack logistics team, we have the largest collection of bloc-level FCs in the game, we have a tight fleet doctrine, we have the best Sky Marshal in EVE, and our hands are fucking tied. That makes me /mad/, a lot of days. I feel like we are unable to pay off our ancient debts, and not for a lack of will on our part.

Ugh. This game.

Baidol on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I love CEO reports because I'm too lazy to keep up with shit so unless someone is discussing it here on in in-game channels, I probably don't know about it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited May 2011
    basically the NC and test lol

PiptheFair on
    edited May 2011
    this patch is broken like a motherfucker

lolccp

PiptheFair on
  • firewulffirewulf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ukiyo e wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    havens and sanctums are only worth it, and not really feasible in a drake

stick to belt ratting, it's way more profitable for a drake

If you have T2 launchers you can run havens. Just kite out to 50km and keep your speed up (fly manually, don't use the orbit button).

A fully T2 Drake can easily handle any Gurista haven or sanctum; I've done loads of them. Drop a can, orbit it, set drones on the frigs, shoot stuff. It's not quite as fast as a fancier ship, but it's still good money.

firewulf on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So EVE has no purchase cost for the client, right? If I don't care about my old character, there's no particular reason to be attached to that account versus a new one? Cause I'm interested in the 21 day trial and I think there's a separate freebie period for old accounts, but it's shorter?

I like more free days.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited June 2011
    Septus wrote: »
    So EVE has no purchase cost for the client, right? If I don't care about my old character, there's no particular reason to be attached to that account versus a new one? Cause I'm interested in the 21 day trial and I think there's a separate freebie period for old accounts, but it's shorter?

I like more free days.

pm me your email and I'll hook you up with the 21 day

and no, the client is free

also, some old accounts are eligible for I think like 5 free days? they send you an email if you are

PiptheFair on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Pip are you still dumb and talking only in eve talk

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    Pip are you still dumb and talking only in eve talk

d

PiptheFair on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there a way to suicide bomb people in this game to their detriment

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    jihading?

yeah it's pretty easy actually

theres an entire section of the GS wiki dedicated to the most effective griefing methods

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2011
    Can I make my jihads more explosive and firey

Mind you all I did in BC2 was fill helicopters with explosives and ram them into tanks

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    you cannot actually do that

theres bombers, but you won't be killing anything other than frigates with em

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2011
    But if I ram my ship and respawn enough times

I could theoretically kill something right

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    eve does not work that way

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2011
    Ramming ships just bounces you off of them. You have to shoot them to hurt them at all.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2011
    However, if you put enough guns on your ship you can instantly kill your victim and then you explode in a glorious fire when Concord comes for you.

Baidol on
    edited June 2011
    Then how do you jihad

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2011
    Then how do you jihad

The post right above yours

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2011
    CONCORD is the space police, if that helps clarify.

Baidol on
    edited June 2011
    Baidol wrote: »
    CONCORD is the space police, if that helps clarify.

That come to kill you the moment you attack another player you aren't at war with while in high security space. They are invincible and will kill you quickly once they show up.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zen, if you play this. I will help you grief pubbies in high sec until you can fly your very first cruiser.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I've started a new character and I'm working my way through the tutorials. I know I won't be able to see the super secret plan to train into a drake quickly, but as long as I can warp disrupt, scramble, and web, and I'm good for basic stuff if/when I get into Merch after tutorials, yes?

Is this video a decent mini guide to tackling, or is there something better I should look into?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited June 2011
    That is pretty much everything you need to know to be a successful tackler. Remember, tacklers save lives. Tacklers are the best. Tacklers always die.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited June 2011
    the most important thing that nobody tells you about tackling, is never approach your target head on, always approach at an angle

PiptheFair on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    do any of you gaylords play rift

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Fandyien wrote: »

yup

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »

yup

cool

i have a 50 cleric on snarebrush

rift is cool butts

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I play with TSM on sunrest because I'm not a gay baby

I'm literally a gay baby

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2011
    you are the biggest gay baby

my guild might be transferring somewhere when they make 'em free and i was thinking of finding a pa group to raid with

my first attempt at GSB was retardo

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg