As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So the pro guitar was offered for sale for, what, three months? I knew the thing wasn't exactly going to be a best-seller, but Jesus. Sales must have been utterly, utterly shit. Santa, that is absolutely cause for concern, at least as far as Rock Band's long-term health is concerned.

The Mustang was always intended as the main Pro Guitar, and it's still being produced.

Was it? I don't remember anything like that being said, but I could have missed something.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So the pro guitar was offered for sale for, what, three months? I knew the thing wasn't exactly going to be a best-seller, but Jesus. Sales must have been utterly, utterly shit. Santa, that is absolutely cause for concern, at least as far as Rock Band's long-term health is concerned.

The Mustang was always intended as the main Pro Guitar, and it's still being produced.

Was it? I don't remember anything like that being said, but I could have missed something.

It was available from Day One in October. That can't help but help...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If it's any consolation, the Mustang guitar is still a fairly nice MIDI guitar for $150. I have yet to use it in any MIDI software, though.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every webstore over here in the UK sold out of all their allocated stock before pre-orders ended, so it's pretty popular.

Obviously nowhere near as popular as Fender was hoping, though.

Yeah pre-orders sold out and that was that, no more. Helped by awesome 'real instrument' financing options, I'm sure.

I have a mate who had to sell his, a shame, he probably could have doubled or tripled his money now!

I do hope we see these back on shelves, they are cool beans.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Somebody even used this event to accuse John Drake of being some kind of idiot for not knowing that Fender was going to do this. One person asked him directly about the availability of Squiers in EU and Drake essentially replied that his belief was they would eventually have better numbers.

They're also blaming Mad Catz for the MPA issue. Never mind that MIDI keyboards and drum kits work with it too and somehow it's MC's fault for underestimating total demand for a product with wider possible uses. I like that one, personally.

But now Drake (and by extention, HMX) is a clueless idiot because he seemingly didn't know (or worse yet, a lying bastard for not announcing this ahead of time). Pro guitar is a niche thing. If two or three 'upgrades' a week (comparatively) isn't an indication of niche, I don't know what is. The Squier was only going to be niche-of-a-niche.

So it's a comical idea that something so small was so meaningful for future corporate health. Some people are hoping that this is a result of HMX being sold. That Fender ended their deal as soon as they could because the situation had changed. And that this means that Fender will resume production after a new deal is made or HMX will try and make a deal with 'better' companies (Yamaha is mentioned, so yeah, 'scare quotes').

It's really kind of sad.

EDIT:
    To add to the 'sad' part, now people are speculating that somehow RB4 will involve Kinect (Fuck you, SONY and Nintendo!) to 'fix' this situation.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Squid56Squid56 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I'm a happy Squier owner, but I'm keeping my eye out this fall for Rocksmith. If they manage to pull off the technology, then the Fender Squier becomes a dinosaur and I can see HMX adopting the 'any guitar will work' option for RB4. I know in the past they've said they looked at similar tech and couldn't make it work, so I'm curious to see how Ubisoft pulled it off.

Squid56 on
    edited June 2011
    Part of the big key was making it work so that it would provide feedback to the player. They probably could have done whatever Rocksmith is expected to do, but wanted a different mechanic. Just like eschewing open/closed Hi-hat (and double bass...sort of). HMX had a specific intent in mind.

Now, whether or not that was the best choice is still up in the air. They've made certain commitments and it may not be possible to adjust later on. (How can they embrace the Hi-hat thing and still keep 2000+ songs available?)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff on
    edited June 2011
    HMX 'responds' to the Squier situation:
    HMXcj wrote:
    Community & the senior team are at E3 right now but they've reached out to Fender to find out what's up. This is the first we've heard about this and we'll dig in with Fender for more info ASAP.

If ever there was a perfect time for Fender to drop this into HMX's lap, it doesn't get much better than this week.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011

Man, there is something so beautiful in that visual representation of how those guitar and bass parts work together.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I'd only hope that that chart is 'better' to play than the standard five button charts. Pearl Jam tests the limits of five button charts and can push things into 'unfun' pretty quickly.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HMX 'responds' to the Squier situation:
    HMXcj wrote:
    Community & the senior team are at E3 right now but they've reached out to Fender to find out what's up. This is the first we've heard about this and we'll dig in with Fender for more info ASAP.

If ever there was a perfect time for Fender to drop this into HMX's lap, it doesn't get much better than this week.

Wow, dick move by Fender if they didn't bother to tell HMX before they started telling customers.

Bolthorn on
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm still waiting on the Squier I won from the Schick contest back in February. Or so I thought. I guess we'll see where that goes.

Homestar Gunner on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Keep in mind, too: on the Fender forums they were talking about this Squier Strat being a sort of introductory MIDI guitar, and they expected Fender to release another more expensive guitar with better MIDI tracking some months later.

Even if this $279 guitar is discontinued, there will certainly be more ways to play a real guitar in Rock Band 3 in the future. They'll just probably cost more.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
    edited June 2011
    An even bigger dick move by Fender, then. The only way for HMX to get out in front of an issue like that would be to be the first to announce it and clearly state that this if Fender's doing.

But they never, ever accuse licensing partners of doing shit like this. Metallica greed may be the reason why their songs didn't make it out of the respective games, but HMX will never confirm that. Was Ozzy's group behind the forced bundling? Again, HMX won't say.

One person all but accused John Drake of being an idiot (for not knowing) or a liar (for knowing and not saying). In spite of the fact that the Mustang is still around and HMX hasn't shown any specific signs of faltering in their plans for the game, people now take this as a sign that they're finished.

HMX got screwed good and hard by this. No matter what comes out of it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Well, it's probably why they also made it use standard MIDI protocols, so they aren't at the whim of the manufacturer for future stuff.

FyreWulff on
  • sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DLC Week of 6/14 - Singles from Avenged Sevenfold, A-Ha, Live & Chumbawumba!

Hey gang,

Short intro to next week's DLC while most of us are still out in LA cleaning up after E3! There's a nice assortment of singles including tracks from the 80's, 90's and 00's, ranging from pop to metal, introducing several bands to RB for the first time while welcoming back fan favorites. Enjoy!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (June 14):

• A-Ha – “Take On Me” X
    • Avenged Sevenfold – “Unholy Confessions” X
    • Avenged Sevenfold – “Welcome to the Family”
    • Chumbawamba – “Tubthumping”
    • Live – “I Alone” X
    • Live – “Lightning Crashes”

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system June 15)

These tracks will be available for purchase as individual tracks on Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
    $2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
    $0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.

And for awesome background information on this content, including recording details, album of origin, and release details you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!

Rock Band Network releases will be listed below shortly. Check back soon!

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
    edited June 2011
    Looks like Tubthumping and Take On Me are getting added to my library

FyreWulff on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a feeling that Tubthumping will be absolutely no fun for anyone other than singers. I'm pretty sure all the instrument parts are pretty basic, and then looped.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a feeling that Tubthumping will be absolutely no fun for anyone other than singers. I'm pretty sure all the instrument parts are pretty basic, and then looped.

I'm hoping you're wrong, but you're probably right.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    HOLY FUCK LIVE.

I AM SO SO SO EXCITED.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Live is one of those bands I've heard songs from but never knew who they were

all but the Avenged Sevenfold tracks for me, please

MrDelish on
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Omg Live! So bought. Too bad there's no pro Lightning Crashes but I'll deal.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited June 2011
    New RBN for the week:
    HMXcj wrote:
    We have fourteen new tracks for the Rock Band Network this week, including Amberian Dawn, Garden of Eden, Dr. Acula, and more. More previously released tracks were added to the PSN store, and we have next week's PSN announcement below.

This week's RBN Releases on Xbox 360

Alternative
    CyLeW - "Familiar" (160 MSP)
    Mafia Track Suit - "My Future Life" (80 MSP)
    Stretford End - "Stay Awake" (160 MSP)

Metal
    Amberian Dawn - "City of Corruption" (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - "City of Corruption (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
    Dr. Acula - "Slander" (160 MSP)
    Dr. Acula - "Slander (2x Bass Pedal)" (160 MSP)
    The Haunted - "No Ghost" (160 MSP)

New Wave
    Robotmakers - "Rocket Car" (160 MSP)

Pop/Dance/Electronica
    dB soundworks - "The Battle of Lil' Slugger" (80 MSP)

Prog
    Van Friscia - "Epic Symphony in A Flat Minor, Third Movement: Zero Hour" (80 MSP)
    Van Friscia - "Epic Symphony in A Flat Minor, Third Movement: Zero Hour (2x Bass Pedal)" (80 MSP)

Punk
    Synthetic Elements - "How Far" (160 MSP)

Rock
    Garden of Eden - "Ooops" (160 MSP)

Beware of that Van Friscia crap. The song name is so long that you can't even tell if it's the regular or 2x version. One person posted about that last night.

RBN backlog on PSN:
    HMXcj wrote:
    The tracks below are the last group of RBN 1 tracks to be released to PlayStation 3. After this week, all RBN tracks released to PlayStation 3 will be RBN 2.0 and will only be compatible with Rock Band 3.
    Alternative
    Edge - "Under Water I Drown" ($0.99)
    Kill the Alarm - "Fire Away" ($0.99)
    Universal Hall Pass - "Dragonfly (Symbion Project Remix)" ($0.99)

Indie Rock
    Foreword - "Watch It All Go Down" ($0.99)

Metal
    Amberian Dawn - "Saga" ($1.99)
    Memphis May Fire - "Action/Adventure" ($1.99)
    Nautiluz - "Chasing the Light" ($1.99)

New Wave
    Larkspur - "Fox Hunt" ($0.99)

Other (Electronica)
    Symbion Project - "Exploited & Exposed" ($0.99)
    Symbion Project - "Synthesized" ($0.99)

Prog
    Children of Nova - "We Collide" ($1.99)
    Children of Nova - "The Fall of Aphonia" ($1.99)
    Children of Nova - "Second Sight Blackout" ($1.99)
    Children of Nova - "The Order" ($1.99)

Rock
    BulletProof Messenger - "Arm Yourself" ($0.99)
    BulletProof Messenger - "This Fantasy" ($0.99)
    Free Spirit - "Far Away from Heaven" ($0.99)
    SOiL - "The Lesser Man" ($0.99)

Southern Rock
    Midnight Riders - "Midnight Ride" ($0.99)
    Midnight Riders - "One Bad Man" ($0.99)

So it's the last week for RBN1.0 content on PSN. Huzzah?

And finally, next weeks announced RBN content for PSN.
    HMXcj wrote:
    Anamanaguchi - "Airbrushed" (Pop/Dance/Electronic - Chiptune) ($1.99)
    A Silent Film - "You Will Leave A Mark" (Alternative) ($1.99)
    Bloom - "Fight for Greatness" (Indie Rock) ($0.99)
    Parry Gripp - "Spaghetti Cat (I Weep For You)" (Novelty) ($0.99)
    Amberian Dawn - "Lost Soul" (Metal - Power) ($1.99)

Now back to five. I bet that goes over well.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well Live is getting picked up and so is Ah-ha and Tubthumping.

This is a good DLC week.

HappylilElf on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Take On Me is insta-bought.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. Pretty good week. It looks like I'll probably want to get all but the A7X. Though Tubthumping and I Alone might end up on the 'maybe' list. The other two will possibly be bought on Day One.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will buy Take on Me for 2 reasons... It has an awesome keyboard riff to play and I'll finally get to know the lyrics after all these years!

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    I will buy Take on Me for 2 reasons... It has an awesome keyboard riff to play and I'll finally get to know the lyrics after all these years!

Anyone singing vocals on 'Take On Me' has some stiff competition from the Saints Row 2 player character crew.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BoIEY4xA4

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Endaro wrote: »

This is to awesome to be buried at the botp

Tommatt on
    edited June 2011
    I'm about to take the a plunge into RBN for the first time

Got Youtube up and everything

I have a feeling this is gonna hurt

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2011
    Keep in mind that the audio mixes can be a bit...rough. Some are definitely horrible mistakes, but even the best ones can still be quite off compared to HMX DLC.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah RBN is pretty cool but mostly I've found the jump in audio so jarring I tend to stay away. There are some good songs there, though.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I've been previewing everything in videos first. I picked up about a dozen which is probably enough for today I think. Really hate there's no preview. Looking up videos on Youtube gets old :P

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2011
    I did it for the better part of a year. I don't miss it.

And I guess you're on PS3? Some people get to have in-game previews, but clearly you're not one of them. Unless actually looking at the chart means something to you, every song should have a thirty second or so clip on the song finder section. If you've been playing the game long enough, you'll be able to tell by the instrument ratings what kind of note mess you're in for.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Take the time to download this one though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgieAtk5cJo&feature=related

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited June 2011
    I did it for the better part of a year. I don't miss it.

And I guess you're on PS3? Some people get to have in-game previews, but clearly you're not one of them. Unless actually looking at the chart means something to you, every song should have a thirty second or so clip on the song finder section. If you've been playing the game long enough, you'll be able to tell by the instrument ratings what kind of note mess you're in for.

Yeah I'm on PS3

And there are definitely some big whoops moments in the cymbal charting in a few of the songs I picked up that make me wish I'd hunted down a full video of expert prodrums but oh well, not game breaking and lesson learned.

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2011
    All Pro drums charts pre-RBN2.0 have a high chance of being 'broken'. There was no way to test for them. Definitely buyer beware. And, of course, RBN2.0 songs haven't yet appeared on PSN. Though there are supposed to be five of them this week.

Such as they are.

Santa Claustrophobia on