As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: PATCH 1.2 OUT NOW - plus a hairstyling dlc

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    And question for non-sword folk, how did you beat
    The Dragon on top of the tower
    I threw 40 Grapeshots at him.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The hunt
    are after sources, ciri is a source, it's also why the king of the wild hunt was after the grand master because he is also a source, no idea whythey took yennifer though, because she isn't, but it was probably just to fuck with geralt.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The first Witcher question here; where can I sell my jewelry for a decent price? I've just begun Chapter 2 and am in the Temple district. I'm tired of it clogging up my inventory.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The hunt
    are after sources, ciri is a source, it's also why the king of the wild hunt was after the grand master because he is also a source, no idea whythey took yennifer though, because she isn't, but it was probably just to fuck with geralt.

That makes sense. Seems like we will find out why in the next game.

I find trying to RP book-Geralt extremely difficult. One of the important exchanges that sticks with me is from "A Question of Price", where Geralt says that witchers are not hired thugs, and they only charge for killing monsters. Of course, Geralt kills his fair share of people, but usually not for money. It's a bit difficult to try to maintain that in the context of a game, where the meta-game creeps in and you know that you miss out on loot and XP by not going around being a mercenary. Amnesiac-game Geralt is a justification, but well, I kind of miss book-Geralt.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    The hunt

I find trying to RP book-Geralt extremely difficult. One of the important exchanges that sticks with me is from "A Question of Price", where Geralt says that witchers are not hired thugs, and they only charge for killing monsters. Of course, Geralt kills his fair share of people, but usually not for money. It's a bit difficult to try to maintain that in the context of a game, where the meta-game creeps in and you know that you miss out on loot and XP by not going around being a mercenary. Amnesiac-game Geralt is a justification, but well, I kind of miss book-Geralt.

I think it's OK as it is. If you can get all the cash and XP without being mercenary, then what's the point? Deciding not to take money for killing people should leave you with less options and less money. I understand that from a gameplay perspective it's not great because you want to get everything, I also want to get and unlock everything first go, but I think it's a pretty decent way of fitting story into the gameplay. Geralt's got his principles and ideals, but there are things that can tempt him away from it, and there's a gameplay temptation for the player to go with it.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The hunt

I think it's OK as it is. If you can get all the cash and XP without being mercenary, then what's the point? Deciding not to take money for killing people should leave you with less options and less money. I understand that from a gameplay perspective it's not great because you want to get everything, I also want to get and unlock everything first go, but I think it's a pretty decent way of fitting story into the gameplay. Geralt's got his principles and ideals, but there are things that can tempt him away from it, and there's a gameplay temptation for the player to go with it.

Yeah I am not saying the game is terribly flawed. But it's just that there are fewer actual "kill monsters for money" scenarios than in the first game.

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The first Witcher question here; where can I sell my jewelry for a decent price? I've just begun Chapter 2 and am in the Temple district. I'm tired of it clogging up my inventory.

Temple district is the one you start in, right? Go to...the way the map displays, I think it was upper right. There's a little area outside Shani's house where merchants stand around. Or put another way, if you're on the street to the left of the church, it's straight to one end (the other end is a gate).

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The hunt

Yeah I am not saying the game is terribly flawed. But it's just that there are fewer actual "kill monsters for money" scenarios than in the first game.

I'd agree with that, the only real criticism I'd make of the game is that it's a bit less Witcherey than the last, especially the fact that there's a Roche path and a Iorveth path, but no neutral path. Then I spent all this time caught up in a war with no option to tell everyone to fuck off so I can just kill some monsters.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But it's just that there are fewer actual "kill monsters for money" scenarios than in the first game.
    y'know, i was saying this pages ago. there were soooo many more contracts in the first game.

but i bet than can be rectified through DLC/mods/whatever

i want the return of named trophy monsters too
    my theory on ciri and the wild hunt is just conjecture at this point, but a lot of story cues support it imo

and darn, i was hoping somebody had a non-quen-centric strategy for the dragon. ah well. :P

let's talk about decisions~!
    believe triss or not?

kill letho or not?

let sile go or not?

kill the dragon or not?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Believe Triss regarding what? I went Roche's path and opted to
    save Anais
    rather than rescue her, so might have missed something there.

I spared Letho, because Roche was pretty much over Foltest's death at that point so there wasn't much point killing an old friend for that. Plus, he saved Triss while I was away and looked after Yen for me.

Sile died a horrible death, because, well, she started it. Moments before she was threatening and taunting me, way to go not endearing yourself to me darlin'.

I killed the dragon, because it seemed the humane thing to do. No way being impaled on a tree is anything short of agony.

Roche's path:
    Let Roche kill Henselt or not? I let it happen because the guy was an asshole, tried to kill me moments before and frankly it wasn't my decision as the Blue Suns weren't my family.

I recall Geralt mentioning something about Ves not telling the truth regarding how things went down but that didn't seem to lead to anything, was there something I missed?

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Man I am feeling lazy, still haven't beat this game. I got stuck in chapter 2 and really don't feel like continuing. The shrubbery just kills my FPS and the game crawls through that part.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wouldn't it be great

To have a TES-like, sandboxy game

Set in the Witcherverse

Killing monsters and sexing chicks

And being all witcher-like?

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The hunt

I'd agree with that, the only real criticism I'd make of the game is that it's a bit less Witcherey than the last, especially the fact that there's a Roche path and a Iorveth path, but no neutral path. Then I spent all this time caught up in a war with no option to tell everyone to fuck off so I can just kill some monsters.

In my first playthrough I basically only followed the story (with some exceptions). In my next playthrough (kind of waiting to see when 1.3 comes out since it's supposed to support 4:3 res) I plan to try and do more of the sidequests if not all of them.

In the end I was also sad that I couldn't just go my own way more often. In my next playthrough I'm going to try and more consciously stay out of everything possible, as the story and choices really drag you into things that were against my better witcher judgment (at least on the Iorverth path).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

believe triss or not?

kill letho or not?

let sile go or not?

kill the dragon or not?
    believe triss or not?

I didn't. She may not of had malicious intent but she was an idiot for going along with it.

kill letho or not?

Don't kill him he was a catspaw and a magnificent bastard but his death would just be petty revenge. Besides the world needs witchers.

let sile go or not?

Let her go. Her lodge is now public enemy number one. A teleporter accident is too good for her. An angry mob is the right sort of karmic response.

kill the dragon or not?

"Witcher's don't kill dragons"

Zafina on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    man, i knew iorveth and the dwarves were close, but i didn't expect them to be THIS close. D:
    6C8BA765AFDDDF657A8ADBC2C2D3487E206A6AB1

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wouldn't it be great

To have a TES-like, sandboxy game

Set in the Witcherverse

Killing monsters and sexing chicks

And being all witcher-like?
    I would play it.

I mean, my favorite parts in the games so far have been the parts like chapter 1 and 4 of the first game, where you roll into a town and slay some monsters and have some kind of little self-contained story, then peace out.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    three cheers for succubus sex! :winky:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

"I probably should go back the Geralt, but then again, I've never ploughed a succubus before..."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

"I probably should go back the Geralt, but then again, I've never ploughed a succubus before..."

"everyone dies from something, right?" :lol:

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I like how CDP drew inspiration for the quests from the stories.

From The Last Wish, where Geralt is recuperating from the striga encounter, and is talking to Dandelion. He is also talking more words than usual. Spoilered for text:
    "Yes, yes," sighed Dandelion anew. "The world is changing, the sun sets, and the vodka is coming to an end. What else, in your opinion, is coming to an end? You mentioned something about endings, philosopher."

"I'll give you a couple of examples," said Geralt after a moment's silence, "all from two months this side of the Buina. One day I ride up and what do I see? A bridge. And under that bridge sits a troll and demands every passerby pays him. Those who refuse have a leg injured, sometimes both. So I go to the alderman: 'How much will you give me for that troll?' He's amazed. 'What are you talking about?' he asks, 'Who will repair the bridge if the troll's not there? He repairs it regularly with the sweat of his brow, solid work, first rate. It's cheaper to pay his toll'..."

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Foefaller wrote: »

"everyone dies from something, right?" :lol:

"fucking idiot actually went in!"

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i also like that conversation with yigrin and the boys when the guy at the end of the table says the mine is locked up 'tighter than a pig's asshole'

and everyone looks at him funny.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    believe triss or not?

kill letho or not?

let sile go or not?

kill the dragon or not?
    I trusted Triss. She seems too infatuated with Geralt to lie about it once her non-malevolent hiding of it is revealed, and from the elven baths she wants to give up their day jobs and just go live like normal people, so he ranks above sorceresses for her. She's even helping him track down Yennefer, which can't be good for her.

While I think sparing Letho is what canon Geralt would do as I imagine him, I killed him after we had a drink together because a) consequence and b) when he goes home and finds out that Nilfgaard didn't completely roll over the north and the emperor may not be so true to his word about permitting the snake school, he might be asked to go wreak some more havoc in the north, whether he sees Geralt or not. Can't let you do that, Star Fox. As per consequence, aside from the whole killing of kings thing and plunging whole nations into chaos so the peasant population will have their lives ruined by armies just for their own selfish goals, they happily accepted contracts on humans instead of monsters, and if there are no witcher schools in the south presumably the empire has the problem under control, so there doesn't seem to be any need for these kind of "witchers" at all. Also Letho still thought he was better than Geralt and that's your only chance to prove him wrong. :D

I let Sile go because Phillipa is the one I want, and Sile's death is just prioritizing vengeance over the greater good, as her death (as Letho wanted) will further weaken the north and make the conspiracy harder to prove. Plus she owes me.

I killed the dragon the first time on my defend-all-humans Roche's path, but when I got to town and realized through conversation with Triss that that WASN'T an "end your suffering" mercy kill, but a "finish him!" FATALITY, I reloaded and spared it, surprised to see it pull itself off the impaling tree and lay there exhausted. Killing it just seems dickish, especially per Geralt's reasoning "might be last dragon left, noble creature, mind controlled by that bitch Phillipa anyway."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i also like that conversation with yigrin and the boys when the guy at the end of the table says the mine is locked up 'tighter than a pig's asshole'

that was one of my most favourite awkward scenes in a game ever. Loved the moment of silence right after it. :lol:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Going to start a hard alchemy run soon. Any suggestions or tips like what the best traps/bombs/talents to use or general battle strategies which might not be very obvious?

Tertiee on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Isy wrote: »

that was one of my most favourite awkward scenes in a game ever. Loved the moment of silence right after it. :lol:

That bit was fantastic, the awkward silence is what sealed it.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i feel bad, i still haven't palyed since i got to chapter 2 weeks ago.

it's like i'm cheating on triss with other games instead of finding her

:(

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »

You are.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I got stuck here too, except I am happy to cheat on Triss, whiny wench.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Going to start a hard alchemy run soon. Any suggestions or tips like what the best traps/bombs/talents to use or general battle strategies which might not be very obvious?

My favorite bombs are grapeshot (for pure damage) Dancing Star (for imolation) and Zenarkian Sun (for stunning)

Traps are kinda hard to use; only a small number of traps (notably snares) can be reliably set up in combat without getting caught in them when they go off, and there are a bare handful of places where you can set them up in preperation of a fight that could accually use a trap to weaken them before attacking.

As for talents, I would ignore the vitality boosting talent, and go the path that starts with boosting bomb/trap damage, get the potion effects upgrade maxed so you can get huge bonuses with negligable side effects, and don't apply any mutagens until you get the improve mutagen talents (since it only upgrades any additional mutagens, not any you've already applied) Also keep in mind that it is currently impossible to
    Fight the Draug in Chapter 2

with any potions active, so make sure you have a strat that doesn't involve drinking 2-3 potions and going mass murder mode from all the extra bonuses you get from potions until everything dies.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Big Isy wrote: »

That bit was fantastic, the awkward silence is what sealed it.

It made me laugh which is rare for a videogame. I also liked the bit where Dandelion goes into
    the Succubus lair
    and Geralts reaction to it

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Red Haze bomb that releases psychoactive gas is like an instant axii, turning an enemy to your side.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My only real problem with this game is that I haven't wanted to do much in the way of alchemy at all since the duration isn't quite long enough to leave room for forethought.

In my mind I'd pop all of my potions at the beginning of a quest I was going to undertake (based on my general assumptions of what I'd encounter) and they'd last for pretty much the duration (except during especially long quests).

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    i think i figured out why letho's situation is so awesome:
    you're the second fiddle semi-bad guy to his plot-armored protagonist.

the game fundamentally isn't about your quest, it's about letho's. :D letho's the one who gets all the information, he's the one who gets all the support and funding, he's the one who gets to complete his tasks despite your flailing efforts to stop him.

furthermore, you're the guy who he spares because he doesn't think you're really bad, just on the wrong side at the time. he doesn't want to kill you. in fact, he'd like it if you exited stage left and went away to retire with your honey. you and he were bros at one time, and in honor of that memory, he only wants the best for you. so please stay out of his way.

this makes the ending even more amazing, because you realize that letho beat the game, not you. he's the one who gets to see it all come together. he's the one who gets to have the fairy tale ending. you? you're just the slightly incompetent not-really-a-bad-guy who's confused and misguided and wears a :| face most of the time. in fact, letho still likes that about you, you lovable blunderer! you were never the planning sort of guy, never had an ounce of the guile that living in the south requires. and if you went off on some crusade to save the north instead of rescuing triss from the nilfgaardians, well, he'll rescue her FOR you because he's a decent sort and what are friends for?

it's bloody brilliant. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When a new thread gets created it's title should be Witcher 2 - Lots of Happy faces.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    My only real problem with this game is that I haven't wanted to do much in the way of alchemy at all since the duration isn't quite long enough to leave room for forethought.

In my mind I'd pop all of my potions at the beginning of a quest I was going to undertake (based on my general assumptions of what I'd encounter) and they'd last for pretty much the duration (except during especially long quests).

I used a mod to extend potion times to 30 mins. I think it's a little excessive, maybe 10-15 would be better, but with the original times it just didn't work for me, they just felt too short-term for the amount of forethought they required.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    actually, now i'm kind of upset that
    CDPR didn't make the letho fight unwinnable. that would have been the ultimate inversion of expectation, but it would have caused a literal riot among gamers. ah well. :)

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Could have only made it playable to a draw.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    Could have only made it playable to a draw.
    But if someone wanted to kill him, and at the end he's saved by a cutscene, it'd be cheap and unsatisfying. I think it's good as is.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Puzzle fight!

Mblackwell on