As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a mouse for gaming

soniclifesoniclife Registered User regular
I just got a new laptop which I am using for gaming (action/fps/rpg mostly). I'm not necessarily "hardcore" but I play games regularly and want to get something that will be comfortable and work well for gaming. I'm currently using a very old IBM optical mouse which for lack of a better term "spazzes out" once in a while which is very distracting and can take me out of the experience. I recently got a check for 50 dollars for graduating so I'm looking for a mouse in that range. I've been looking at the Razer Deathadder and the Cyborg RAT 5. I have medium to slightly large hands and hold palm style so I'd like something comfortable for my whole hand. I normally wouldn't be so particular, but I don't always drop 50 dollars on a peripheral, so if I'm gonna splurge I want to do it right. thanks guys

So tl;dr version -
50$ish range
biggish for palmstyle
comfortable
usually play fps/action type games and some rpg's

soniclife on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a RAT 7 and it's the only mouse I've been able to comfortably palm since this bad boy. It does look kinda ridiculous though.

Djeet on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I, too, have a RAT 7 and it really is the bee's knees. Newegg's reviews are somewhat spotty on the build quality but I've had no problems with mine.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yeah, my concern with the RAT 5 with palming is that people have said that it tends to flip back if you extend the back. I really like the look though. The exposed wires and stuff just look cool.

EDIT: dont want to double post, so I wanted to know if you noticed that happening with the RAT 7. The 7 is a bit out of my price range, but the only difference is really the extreme amount of customization right?

soniclife on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd take a look at the sidewinder X8 personally. It palms more comfortably than the rats imo, microsoft has much better support if you have any issues "oh, somethings going on you don't like? no problem whats your address we'll send you a new mouse" and newegg has it on sale for 37.99 right now.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hmm.. i notice that the x8 is wireless. Is that via usb or bluetooth? This laptop doesnt support bluetooth. Also wouldn't a wired mouse work better if i can spare the deskspace? I'm not sure if it looks comfortable or not and Idk if i like that it has 12 goddamn buttons. thanks for the recommendation though. I should look a bit into the microsoft mice.

soniclife on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MX510 or MX518.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Razer Deathadder is an excellent mouse, reasonably priced, reliable (from most accounts), comfortable, not covered in features, high DPI, adjustable DPI, and easy to install. Looks nice, too.

Not sure what the USD pricerange of it is, cost around $80 Australian dollars earlier this year.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have the Logitech G500, which is basically a fancy MX510/518. They're all amazing mice, and I doubt I'll ever need anything else. The weights in the G500 are excellent, and it has just the right amount of extra buttons in the perfect spot for me.

Love that thing.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As far as mice go, I've never tried anything I've liked more than the Razer mice I've used. I used to firmly believe in my old Logitech MX510, but I have a Razer Imperator now, and it just feels like it was made for my hand. The matte surface is also really nice. Gunk rarely accumulates.

floobie on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Logitech G500.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a RAT 7, but even with the adjustments I never felt completely comfortable with it. I switched to a G500 and couldn't be happier.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Logitech G500.

I had a Razer Death Adder before my G500. Gave it to a friend of mine for $20. I was on his computer the other day, and good lord, I don't know how I used that thing.

edit:

this isn't to say that the DeathAdder isn't a good mouse, because it served me for 2 proud years. G500 is just better.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yeah, i was looking at the g500 but it's just out of my pricerange. I would rather spend a little less than more. I suppose I could try ebay, but you have to be careful. You don't think there's a big chance of fakes, do you? That's always a huge risk when you are looking at things like headphones on ebay.

soniclife on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like the G400 coming out soon might be for you then.

http://blog.logitech.com/2011/06/09/introducing-the-logitech-optical-gaming-mouse-g400-2/

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    TNTrooper wrote: »

That's awesome, but i found a coupon code for newegg 10 dollars off for new customers (I have only purchased from them with my dad's account years ago), so I will probably get the g500 for 48 dollars. It seems like the best compromise between the two I had in mind initially and is now in the middle of the price range for the two. Thanks for the help guys!

soniclife on
  • Options
    KitAlexHarrisonKitAlexHarrison Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I personally use a Razer Imperator; it's incredibly comfortable, has dedicated "sensitivity up/down" buttons, and has some pretty lights.

I twin it with a Nostromo as well, which I can only describe as having an identical keyboard-like counterpart to a mouse, especially when playing on a laptop (I did a little piece on it if you want greater detail). Using both, playing games makes me feel like I'm from the future.

KitAlexHarrison on
    PennyArcadeSig.png

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm with the Razer Copperhead. A few people here might be able to vouch for what I can do with it.

It's a nice mouse although the feet wore out a little fast on my anodized aluminium mousepad.

Oh -- that's a point, a good mouse is hamstrung without a proper mousemat, so set aside cash for that too.

edit: basically, know whether you lead with your palm or with your fingers. I'm the latter. You can probably figure this out by examining how you play. People who lead with fingers tend to adopt a bit of a 'claw' grip, with fewer points of contact. If you're like this, then a lower-profile mouse with splayed buttons is probably for you. If you're more hands-on (literally) then a bulky device like the Logitech 500 might be your best option.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This might be blasphemy, but I've been using a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer for about forever, and can't really imagine anything else. It's fast, responsive and comfy - the biggest problem is if you're a lefty.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I used an intellimouse 2.0 for ages and ages. They're solid.

But getting a performance mouse means you can never go back.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DarkwyndreDarkwyndre Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you can find a Logitech G5 somewhere, they were right in your price range and phenomenal. My wife stole mine and gave me her G9x when I found one on clearance at a best buy, because of how good it was. It is textured which helps for grip, and you can set the weight however you prefer with the custom weight insert ... and the cord is very rugged (I always break my corded peripherals at the connection of cord to peripheral, so I pay attention to those junctions closely)

Logitech G5 if you can find it, and I promise you won't regret it. I'll personally buy it off you and pay for shipping if you don't like it.

*edit* -- unfortunately Logitech discontinued this line of mice for some reason and the dwindling stock along with the awesomeness of the product has raised the price for a new one to $140 on Amazon. Can get it around $100 at other retailers ... I got mine for $50. *sigh*.

*edit2* -- looking at products, it seems the G5 has been replaced by the G500 ... looks like the same mouse (including texture) with more buttons and all the same features the G5 had. Aaaannnnddd... it's $50 :)

Darkwyndre on
    Playstation Network ID : EasySleeze
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The G5 was a laser mouse, and the G500 is optical if I'm not mistaken.
    I'm pretty sure that was the only difference between the G5 and the MX510 as well. Maybe the MX510 was also missing a display of what sensitivity you had on at the time as well.

I have a G5 sitting in my drawer and I'm using a Steelseries Kinzu at the moment.
    Really light the light weight and the fact that it is symmetrical.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The G5 was a laser mouse, and the G500 is optical if I'm not mistaken.
    The G500 uses laser.
    I'm pretty sure that was the only difference between the G5 and the MX510 as well. Maybe the MX510 was also missing a display of what sensitivity you had on at the time as well.
    The MX 510 didn't have a sensitivity indicator, it didn't have sensitivity adjustment buttons, it didn't have adjustable weights, it doesn't have a braided cord. It's sensitivity (800) is also much lower than MX 518 (1600 or 1800 depending on the revision), the G5's (2000), or the G500's (5700 max). Neither have the nicely textured side grips or the onboard memory of the G500.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The MX518.

It has a long history of being a standard for FPS and RTS mice. I've actually found it to be the most comfortable mouse I've ever used due to it's somewhat odd shape. There are contours for your thumb and pinky finger that just fit like a glove. It's also cheap enough that you could get a good mouse surface and still be in your budget range.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Muriden wrote: »
    The MX518.

It has a long history of being a standard for FPS and RTS mice. I've actually found it to be the most comfortable mouse I've ever used due to it's somewhat odd shape. There are contours for your thumb and pinky finger that just fit like a glove. It's also cheap enough that you could get a good mouse surface and still be in your budget range.

I keep seeing that, but I'm always a little apprehensive at its texture; it looks like it's taken a few bullets or something. Have you used other gaming mice (like Razer), and how does it stack up to them?

KitAlexHarrison on
    PennyArcadeSig.png

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Like I was saying before, the MX518 is a palm mouse - it fits your hand like a glove. But I find that really distracting - it makes me feel sluggish. Razer mice are generally lower profile and give you some air, meaning most of the work is in the fingers and wrist.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Muriden wrote: »
    The MX518.

I keep seeing that, but I'm always a little apprehensive at its texture; it looks like it's taken a few bullets or something. Have you used other gaming mice (like Razer), and how does it stack up to them?

I have used a lot of mice, mostly though the G5, MX518, DeathAdder and Microsoft IMO. I found the G5 to be horrible, it just didn't run smooth and it was very sloppy and not accurate. The other mice were all great though.

The Microsoft mouse is very light and probably for smaller hands, my small hands got cramped on it so that is why I got the death adder I use now and also perfect for palm grip or claw. 518 is about the same, although I will say the death adder I feel has a much nicer design in my opinion, try them both out in a store.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MX518 is the mouse.

zeeny on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The MX518 doesn't have a texture, the bullet holes are just a decoration. It's 100% smooth.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, those "bullet holes" are just an optical illusion from coloring of the plastic. It's actually completely smooth.

The 518 is the way to go, but the G400 looks like it'll be pretty neat

Senshi on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    G500 people.
    It's the 518 only better.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    G500 people.

the problem with the g500 is that the laser sensor it uses has acceleration built into it, that can't be turned off. So for people who hate mouse acceleration like me it's pretty much completely unusable. The 518 doesn't have this issue.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    G500 people.

the problem with the g500 is that the laser sensor it uses has acceleration built into it, that can't be turned off. So for people who hate mouse acceleration like me it's pretty much completely unusable.

That's wrong, AFAIK. Worse case scenario is it is an old firmware bug that has since been fixed.

EDIT: While double checking on this there are some oddities with Source engine games and high DPI mice in general. The MX 518 at 1600/1800 DPI (depending on model) will also run into that behavior. It might not happen with raw input enabled for those games that support it. See this thread for more.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    there is no acceleration and you can take the sensibility down.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a G9x, and love it. It fits my meaty hands just right.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Razer Deathadder is an excellent mouse, reasonably priced, reliable (from most accounts), comfortable, not covered in features, high DPI, adjustable DPI, and easy to install. Looks nice, too.

Not sure what the USD pricerange of it is, cost around $80 Australian dollars earlier this year.

Seconded. Try to find the 3.0 gen, and not the newer 3.5.

Joe K on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As someone said on the previous page wait if you're considering a 518, the successor is coming in a few days, or a month if not in the US.

Gonna be picking one up, had my MX518 for 5 years and it's always been perfect but think it's time to give the guy a retirement.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Flippy, you're going to have to show me a good mouse pad that isn't nearly as much as the damn mouse.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think they make em anymore but I bought the Everglide Titan at the same time as my 518 and it's been great with it.

Has to chuck it in the wash a few times though.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Razer Sphex and Vespula look pretty good. I'll probably be picking one of those two up when I can.

KitAlexHarrison on
    PennyArcadeSig.png

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    the plastic Steelseries mousemats are p cool

I mean, I like mine

Senshi on