As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aurin wrote: »
    I just want more wolves. Not enough wolves. Bran's wolf, Robb's wolf, Jon's wolf, hell, even Rickon's wolf! More wolves. :(

Indeed. Needs more Shaggydog.

Dracomicron on
  • NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aurin wrote: »
    I just want more wolves. Not enough wolves. Bran's wolf, Robb's wolf, Jon's wolf, hell, even Rickon's wolf! More wolves. :(

I want more wolves, but those dogs are terrible actors. Yes, I said it, it needed to be said. Wolf is supposed to viciously attack someone, but all I see is a happy dog leisurely trotting over to say hello to a friendly man. They can't sprint into people.. They can't snarl.

What they needed, were some attack dogs. Or just wild wolves that they unleash on the set.

NotYou on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    NotYou wrote: »
    I want more wolves, but those dogs are terrible actors. Yes, I said it, it needed to be said. Wolf is supposed to viciously attack someone, but all I see is a happy dog leisurely trotting over to say hello to a friendly man. They can't sprint into people.. They can't snarl.

What they needed, were some attack dogs. Or just wild wolves that they unleash on the set.
    Look, they're just thinking doggy thoughts.

"Oh, there's someone at the door. I need to go show them my balls."

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    that gif is going along with my music

it is so glorious

So It Goes on
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUS2LSJR22k
    A new page, a new version of Joffrey getting the shit slapped outta himself.

(and the classic!)
    qqvol0.jpg

immortal squish on
    <3
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Could you imagine trying to direct that scene?

"Nope nope, still not right, you know what just keep slapping him for a while."

DeShadowC on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Just do what comes natural."

fadingathedges on
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Having not read the book, I have no idea what was going on with the naked, fat guy.

Apparently he's some important character. I don't know.

It was weird.

Burden of Proof on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Having not read the book, I have no idea what was going on with the naked, fat guy.

Apparently he's some important character. I don't know.

It was weird.

He's been in a few episodes so far. His name's Hodor, he's got some kind of learning disability and he helps Bran.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Completely missed him, then.

Burden of Proof on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just watched the last to air episode of this. So many great moments in it.

So, uh, Hodor :lol:

Rotam on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Completely missed him, then.

He is the guy who carries Bran around
    because he can't walk.

Fizban140 on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else hoping they stick HODOR in some platemail for Bran to ride around on, like Master Blaster?

Edit: "WHO RUN WINTERFELL?"

Octoparrot on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm curious how their going to do the wolves going on. They're supposed to get really, really huge right? And it seems they've either had a hard time training them, it's expensive, or I don't know because they haven't been shown much.

And yes more shaggy dog please!

Have they announced who is taking over the old womans part who passed?

Tommatt on
    edited June 2011
    It really shouldn't be difficult to make the dogs looks big, just look at what Lord of the Rings did with the hobbits.

Fizban140 on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    It really shouldn't be difficult to make the dogs looks big, just look at what Lord of the Rings did with the hobbits.

Each Lord of the Rings movie had a budget of over $90 million to fill ~3 hours of screen time. The first season of Game of Thrones has a budget of $60 million to fill 12 hours of screen time. In total, the LotR trilogy had about $2 million per minute. GoT so far spends about $83,000 per minute.

I'm pretty sure you're going to see some differences between what each can accomplish on the screen.

Inquisitor77 on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just spray paint some bears gray/black/white if you can't find some naturally colored that, tape on some tails and done.

Xeddicus on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Or hire dwarf stunt actors for scenes with dogs acting as direwolves. No one should notice the difference. And He-man action figure to replace tyrion.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wrong thread, whoops

Hank_Scorpio on
    edited June 2011

Each Lord of the Rings movie had a budget of over $90 million to fill ~3 hours of screen time. The first season of Game of Thrones has a budget of $60 million to fill 12 hours of screen time. In total, the LotR trilogy had about $2 million per minute. GoT so far spends about $83,000 per minute.

I'm pretty sure you're going to see some differences between what each can accomplish on the screen.

Yes but what LotR did was pretty low tech and could be done somewhat cheaply as well, it was mostly camera work from what I remember, finding the right angle to make things look right. Also probably reconstructing some parts of the set to be large.

Fizban140 on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jammu wrote: »
    And He-man action figure to replace tyrion.

Tommatt on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes but what LotR did was pretty low tech and could be done somewhat cheaply as well, it was mostly camera work from what I remember, finding the right angle to make things look right. Also probably reconstructing some parts of the set to be large.

there're some nice images showing the sets they used and the different camera perspectives, but unfortunately I can't find them

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

IIRC, LoTR was made for about $100m total.

V1m on
  • RinzlerRinzler Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wikipedia says $285 million budget (with a revenue of 2.9 billion, though).

Rinzler on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I expect them to put some effort into CGing some monstrous wolves for key shots in the second season.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Weta probably still has their warg CGI models around. They could just pay them to convert them to direwolves and go from there.

Dracomicron on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jakobagger wrote: »
    HBO puts out the best shows on television, why were you anything less than optimistic?

Well, because it was an adaptation of a book that I loved. That can end badly. But because it was HBO, I expected it to be at least pretty good. I mean, I've seen the Wire, and that was so great it made me skip a semester (I could go to class? Nah, gonna watch Baltimore dissolve instead.). But in the end Game of Thrones was even better than I expected it to be! So that was nice.

PS. also sometimes I express myself poorly because English is not my first language and I don't quite have the full intuitive grasp of it.

Seriously? You write better than most native speakers I work worth....

Thank you! I'm Danish, but I read a lot, and watch shows and movies in English all the time. But writing well also means people expect you to know what you are saying, where they would give someone more obviously ESL the benefit of the doubt when the non-native in question said something stupid. And while I can write technically correct English, sometimes I miss a nuance, or express myself more strongly than I meant to. This sometimes happens with the boards' other Scandinavians as well (Scandinavians are nearly the only non-native English speakers posting here in any number. And also Dutch people. Probably a testament to our non-dubbed television and decent public education.)

Anyway, back on topic, I am super, super excited for tonight's episode. Re: merchandise, I really hope Fantasy Flight will get off their asses and reprint the board game based on the books soon. I've only played it twice, but it's awesome and I want to buy it.

jakobagger on
    edited June 2011
    I don't really care that the wolves arent super big yet. They are still awesome.

So It Goes on
    edited June 2011
    60 million? Jesus

Burden of Proof on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Your math does not work out. You ran it backwards. it's $500,000 per minute for LotR. Still a big difference. But not as bad.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This is kind of a book versus tv thing, too. To TV viewers, the dire wolves are what they should be. Only a book reader is going to be frustrated that they aren't big enough. A biologist is going to wonder why they're so similar to modern canines at all, since they should be more heavyset in the front but not any bigger.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just to Devil's Advocate the budget thing: as was pointed out, the money spent on making things look smaller/bigger in Fellowship wasn't all that much - a lot of the shrinking wasn't done by putting the imagery into the computer and just hitting the "scale" button. It was in-camera forced perspective trickery. Plus, Fellowship is 10 years old now. You could potentially do what they did the same way they did it for comparably less money. In fact, companies like Zoic (Battlestar/Firefly) are very well known precisely for being able to do movie-grade SFX for less than a mil an episode.

Plus, as someone who has not read the books - I don't get the sense these wolves are supposed to be "BIG" yet. They're still puppies, relatively. At least that's how I justified it. If we get to next season and they're still just fluffy pups? Then I can understand being underwhelmed.

Fatboy Roberts on
    edited June 2011
    oh god fellowship is ten years old

So It Goes on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Plus, as someone who has not read the books - I don't get the sense these wolves are supposed to be "BIG" yet. They're still puppies, relatively. At least that's how I justified it. If we get to next season and they're still just fluffy pups? Then I can understand being underwhelmed.

Right, considering they've shown us a adult direwolf corpse, I have faith in their continuity department to acknowledge that these animals should continue to grow. But as of right now, they're under a year old and presumably not full grown.

metaghost on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »
    oh god fellowship is ten years old

And you're TEN YEARS CLOSER TO DEATH

Hachface on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sigh, I'm so messed up because I work today. Today felt like a monday when I woke up so I got on here expected to hear commentary on the latest episode, when it hasn't even aired yet.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Glocjt wrote: »

guile theme really does go with everything
    There is only one God, the God of Spoilers. And there is only one thing you say to the God of Spoilers: "Not today."

:D well done :^:

valiance on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't get HBO; how can I legally watch this?

Hexmage-PA on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Friends who do seems to be the only option I've run across.

Tamin on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I don't get HBO; how can I legally watch this?

HBO Go is an option but I don't know how much it costs. It's also limited to the US.

Quid on
This discussion has been closed.