As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Super Mario 3D Land less than a month away!

RehabRehab Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
3dsheader.png

New videos from the Nintendo 3DS Conference 2011 in Japan

Link includes videos for: Mario Kart 7 Interview, Super Mario 3D Land Interview, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Luigi’s Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, and Mario Tennis.

The Strength of the Nintendo 3DS

Out Now
    Kirby Mass Attack Star Fox 64 3D

Out in October
    Aliens: Infestation Professor Layton and the Last Specter

Out in November
    Sonic Generations Super Mario 3D Land

Out in December
    Mario Kart 7

Out in January
    Kid Icarus Uprising

Out in Early 2012
    Heroes of Ruin Resident Evil Revelations Kingdom Hearts 3D Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure

Out in December 2012
    Monster Hunter 3G

Out in 2012
    Luigi's Mansion 2 Mario Tennis 3DS Bravely Default: Flying Fairy Animal Crossing 3DS Paper Mario 3DS

classy3ds.png

A sophisticated device

magic3ds.png

Its also magic!

Nintendo 3DS at E3

systemupdate.png nintendoeshop.png e32011.png 3dclassiccitebike.png
playtoday.png zeldaoot3d.png

3DS Games at E3:

1. mariokartr.png 2. smansion.png 3. kidicarusuprising.png 4. animalcrossing.png
5. supermariob.png 6. starfox643d.png 7. papermario.png 8. ocarinaoftime3d.png
9. mariosonicolympicgames.png 10. therollingwestern.png

Games from left to right: 1. Mario Kart 2. Luigi's Mansion 2 3. Kid Icarus: Uprising 4. Animal Crossing 5. Super Mario 6. Star Fox 64 3D 7. Paper Mario 8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 9. Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games 10. The Rolling Western

11. picturelives.png 12. acecombat3d.png 13. heroesofruin.png 14. residentevilrevelations.png
15. fifasoccer12.png 16. metalgearsolid3d.png 17. tetrisf.png

Games from left to right: 11. Picture Lives 12. Ace Combat 3D 13. Heroes of Ruin 14. Resident Evil: Revelations 15. Fifa Soccer 12 16. Metal Gear Solid 3D Snake Eater 17. Tetris

The Nintendo eShop

Featured Games:

1. excitebike3d.png 2. supermarioland.png 3. linksawakening.png 4. radarmission.png

5. alleyway.png 6. mariovsdk.png 7. plantsvszombiesc.png 8. froggerreturns.png

9. tetrispartylive.png

Games from left to right: 1. 3D Classics Excitebike 2. Super Mario Land 3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 4. Radar Mission 5. Alleyway 6. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again 7. Plants vs. Zombies 8. Frogger Returns 9. Tetris Party Live

Featured Applications:

featuredapplications.png

NNID: Rehab0
Rehab on

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Things that might interest you as a new 3DS owner:

Get your 3DS Friend Codes here.

SirUltimos wrote: »
    Okay dudes, I have the site set up.

http://www.sirultimos.com/3ds

Lunker wrote: »
    And yes, that Nyko battery review on Joystiq really got me excited:
    'll stop with the suspense: does the Power Pak + work? Pretty much! Here are the results of my experiment.

3D on, brightness maximum, wireless on:
    Nyko Power Pak +: 5:33
    3DS battery: 2:52

3D off, brightness at minimum, Power-Saving on, wireless off:
    Nyko Power Pak +: 9:04*
    3DS battery: 4:40

*only tested once, because it took nine hours

Plus it doesn't look nearly as bulky as people were saying:

nyko3312.jpg

Xaviar wrote: »
    NintendoMiis.jpg

Yamauchi, Iwata, Miyamoto

Special Jill Valentine Mii with gold pants:

2mn35.jpg800016_1aejj.jpg

It doesn't look a lot like her, but it's interesting that it's unique/official.

Rehab on
    edited September 2011
    Rehab on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I almost wish I had gotten the blue

it's such a nice color and it reminds me of my original gba color... but black is just sleeker, always get my electronics black or white.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So my girlfriend just saw the Green Lantern 3D trailer and was wowed.

Shanadeus on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it for the movie, or the game?

Neurotika on
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My summer courses start this week! :-( Why couldn't OoT come out earlier!? argh

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      ForceVoid: The movie.
      If only one could watch it in theatres in 3D without glasses.

Shanadeus on
      edited June 2011
      Speaking of Ocarina of Time 3D's release:

Major US Retailer GameStop Selling Ocarina of Time 3D Early
      Be one of the lucky few Americans to obtain your copy of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D one day early!

zeldaoot3devent.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is set to release everywhere in less than a week. This is a huge event, as this is definitely one of the most anticipated 3DS (and general game remakes) ever. While Japan and Europe will be receiving their copies on the 16th and 17th of June respectively, North Americans will have to wait until Sunday, June 19th to begin their quests. If you happen to live in the US however, you may want to head on over to your local GameStop between and 1 and 5 PM on Saturday, June 18th, as you can partake in their Ocarina of Time 3D preview event.

Specific details on what kind of special things will be going on at this event are pretty much non-existent at the moment. Will there be prizes and giveaways? Will there be copies of Ocarina 3D running in store 3DS demos for you to play? Knowing GameStop, this is all very likely. The one thing that is known for sure, however, and is also the most important, is that those guests lucky enough to be there that afternoon will get a chance to purchase their copies of the Ocarina of Time 3D that very day, before the rest of North America. GameStop warns that lines may form at some locations, so you may want to get there a bit early.

There is no word of a similar event happening in Canada, unfortunately. Check out all the details and see which locations near you will be holding the event from GameStop’s official website.

Rehab on
    • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      here's hoping that orange 3ds shown at e3 last year is coming down the pipes

VALVEjunkie on
    • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      UM OKAY

I'll be there

Variable on
      BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      I think I'm going to hold off on Zelda, I still need to finish Phantom Hourglass and haven't even picked up Spirit Tracks yet.

The_Spaniard on
      Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
      edited June 2011
      I have a feeling that Cubic Ninja is going to be a bit overlooked.

Rehab on
    • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Pretty stoked for this OoT release next sunday. Replacement 3DS should be arriving from Nintendo tomorrow, hopefully they bothered to check this one to make sure it isn't broken in a bunch of ways first. Then I can mess around with it for a few days, and BAM! OoT.
      Majora's Mask next please.

CheesecakeRecipe on
    • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      So we went and picked up a 3DS today in anticipation of Ocarina of Time coming out next week. We finished setting up our Miis and played around with the face shooting game a lot, that was rather fun. We bought the Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars game, as it looked interesting. So far, I'm enjoying it. Is there anything we should be buying from the 3DS store that is really good, etc.?

Also, they had The World Ends With You for $20, Hotel Dusk for $7, and Shiren the Wanderer for $5. I loaded up on awesome games for cheap today, so excited.

Spawnbroker on
      Steam: Spawnbroker
    • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Wind Waker next please.

Your finger slipped!
      Not to bring up the argument from last thread again, but...I think it would be an awesome fit for 3DS.

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Wind Waker next please.

Your finger slipped!
      Not to bring up the argument from last thread again, but...I think it would be an awesome fit for 3DS.
      I totally agree actually, I just have a soft spot for MM. No arguing from me though, either one would be cool!

CheesecakeRecipe on
    • JintorJintor Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Man, I love three dee

that's almost half as much again D's as most other platforms

Jintor on
      edited June 2011
      So we went and picked up a 3DS today in anticipation of Ocarina of Time coming out next week. We finished setting up our Miis and played around with the face shooting game a lot, that was rather fun. We bought the Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars game, as it looked interesting. So far, I'm enjoying it. Is there anything we should be buying from the 3DS store that is really good, etc.?

Also, they had The World Ends With You for $20, Hotel Dusk for $7, and Shiren the Wanderer for $5. I loaded up on awesome games for cheap today, so excited.

Do you mean the 3DS store specifically, or is DSiware in general new to you?

I posted this a couple times last thread, might as well get it in this one too:

The only site I know of that reviews every DSiware game:

http://dsiware.nintendolife.com/games?sort=rating

I can personally recommend for being awesome:

Shantae: Risky's Revenge (amazing platformer)
      Art Style: AQUITE/AQUIA (puzzle game with a neat aesthetic)
      Art Style: PiCTOBiTS (pixel puzzle game)
      Dark Void Zero (old school platformer)
      X-Scape (first person space shooter thing)
      Cave Story (another amazing platformer)
      Dr. Mario Express (classic puzzle game)
      Photo Dojo (simple but hilarious 2 player fighting game)
      Rayman (classic 2D platformer)

I haven't personally played these but they're supposed to be pretty great:

Mighty Flip Champs! (platform puzzler)
      Alphabounce (long, extensive brick-breaking RPG)
      Soul of Darkness (quality Castlevania knockoff)
      Inchworm Animation (full featured animation studio)
      Zenonia (great Zelda-style RPG)
      Ivy the Kiwi? Mini (weird little platform puzzler)
      Mighty Milky Way (gravity-based puzzler from the Shantae people)
      Dragon Quest Wars (tiny strategy game)
      Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (great puzzler)
      Castle of Magic (action platformer)
      Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ (just...what)
      Chronos Twins (interesting dual screen mechanic action game)
      Plants vs. Zombies (duh)
      Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (if you haven't played it yet)
      Viking Invasion (tower defense)

#1 game to buy right away is Shantae. #2 is Cave Story, unless you plan on buying the upcoming 3DS version.

Around the webs I've seen people talking about other good DSiware games, looking for the best cheap ones - the consensus seems to be that Aura-Aura Climber is a really fun little game for only $2.

As far as new content unique to the 3DS shop, there's obviously Link's Awakening DX which is super worth it and Super Mario Land which is debatably worth it.

Make sure you download all the trailers from E3 and the free Excitebike 3D and Pokedex 3D.

I don't know if you've done anything with Club Nintendo, but you ought to make sure you register your 3DS and link it to a Club Nintendo account. You get 160 coins for the system, 40 for linking, and 10 for each of the free apps, giving you an easy 220 coins. I think Shantae and Cave Story will give you 10 coins each as well. The deadline for getting to Gold or Platinum is June 30, and you might not have long to do the surveys for the free apps.

EDIT: I removed Pinball Pulse from my list because it's not available on the 3DS. :( Shame, it's really good. I think the company that made it went under in a nasty way or something...same people who made Metroid Prime Pinball DS and Mario Pinball Land GBA.

UncleSporky on
      Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      edited June 2011
      You really should pick up PictoBits

Jintor on
    • MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      I just picked up Aura Aura Climber and it is a great little game for less than the cost of a BigMac. So excited for LoZ:OoTMQMM3DS. Gonna go to gamestop with a friend to get his copy (I want streetpasses!) even though mine isn't coming until the 21st.

Malakaius on
      PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
    • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      We're new to Dsiware in general, we haven't done anything with that yet. That recommendation list above there is awesome, thanks!

Spawnbroker on
      Steam: Spawnbroker
      edited June 2011
      I just added Alphabounce to my list. It's got some glowing praise online.

It's yet another brick-breaking Arkanoid clone, but it sounds like it's presented very well, almost RPG-style. The levels are part of a huge map that you have to traverse one space at a time (in search of planet Earth), and you can unlock new items and rewards in certain spaces. Think of it like the Sphere Grid from FFX or License Grid from FFXII. Lots of different block types with different effects and lots of types of powerups that rain down on you. Also, only $5.

I'm going to try it out pretty soon here.

UncleSporky on
      edited June 2011
      That is a very nice list.

I'm sure a lot of people would recommend Link's Awakening as well. Of course one probably can't go wrong with the Tetris game either.

Rehab on
    • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      I forgot how great cave story is

I wish La-Mulana was on here, ha ha

there is that one for wiiware that has been in development for like, 2 or 3 years now, but I just checked it and it looks and sounds kind of bad.

Davoid on
      rqv6.png
    • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
      edited June 2011
      GREAT op, Rehab. I just showed a friend of mine the OoT 3D trailer and he was wowed. I can't wait for this week

george-x on
      roster.gif
    • Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      I'm gonna stick my neck out and say Blazblue 3DS is just fantastic. No online be damned, I just like it. So much stuff to unlock and do. Escapee Go! is also a pretty nice DSIware game if we are still tossing out recommendations. GG series games are good too. I especially like the ninja one.

Cucco Leader on
    • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Broke down and bought a 3DS. No games yet, though.

If you do the DSiWare transfer from an XL or whatever to the 3DS, does it remove them from the old model? Like, I'd obviously rather play Shantae and stuff on the XL, but it'd be kinda nice to have it on both.

Kaseius on
      www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
      edited June 2011
      yeah, it removes the content from the dsi

VALVEjunkie on
    • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Dang, you can't use scanned-in Miis in Streetpass.

I was hoping to savor the irony of forcing Shiggy to do my bidding.

cloudeagle on
      Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      My 3DS didn't come with a stylus, and it's brand new. Good start?

Kaseius on
      www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
      edited June 2011
      You need to shake down someone because that's clearly wrong

Jintor on
    • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      It really is a fantastic OP, Rehab. Makes me excited for everything that's coming - there's a lot to look forward to with this device, just as there was with the original DS. It just needs time to get off the ground.

GMaster7 on
      PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
      edited June 2011
      Kaseius wrote: »
      My 3DS didn't come with a stylus, and it's brand new. Good start?

there wasn't a little plastic bag in with the manuals and shit?

VALVEjunkie on
    • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Got DoA, it looks really fantastic, better than SSFIV even. Handles well, I'm really impressed. The only thing that I don't like is that the unlocks feel so random - I don't really know what I should be working on to get the next costume or what.

Gaebril on
    • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Why is Radar Mission in the OP but not in the Aus or EU store?

Also, why is everything in the store stupidly expensive? Is Nintendo living in their own world where nobody else makes or sells games? $4.5 for Alleyway? I was playing free flash versions of that around 10 years ago. When I saw Tennis in there I was excited, I remember enjoying that way back when, but they've still managed to price that out of impulse buy range. Steam's shown us all that you can make a lot of extra money by setting prices low (I have 45 games in my Steam library I've never even installed), but Nintendo seems intent on not learning that lesson.

AnteCantelope on
      edited June 2011
      I think Nintendo are attempting to push the price points of handheld downloadable titles up in accordance with their theory that the plethora of .99 games on iOS is significantly devaluing the handheld market

I agree a more Steamlike model would work far better though. Weekly or fortnightly sales on things. Port more shit from GB, GBA and potentially DS over to the Virtual Console. Attract more developers. Shit like that.

Jintor on
    • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      The region lock/region exclusive e-shops were just dumb though.

Lorahalo on
      I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
      edited June 2011
      It's comparable to Steam's terrible price-fixing bullshit. But that's all to do with taxes and publishers.

Jintor on
    • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Is there any point in playing Find Mii / Streetpass Quest after the second playthrough? It seems I'll have all the hats once I'm done with the big bad for the second time.

Rhesus Positive on
      [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
      edited June 2011
      Jintor wrote: »
      I think Nintendo are attempting to push the price points of handheld downloadable titles up in accordance with their theory that the plethora of .99 games on iOS is significantly devaluing the handheld market

I agree a more Steamlike model would work far better though. Weekly or fortnightly sales on things. Port more shit from GB, GBA and potentially DS over to the Virtual Console. Attract more developers. Shit like that.

I think there are two problems with this. You can't just ignore the rest of the market and say 'these games are worth X' when similar games (and in the case of Zenonia, Plants Vs Zombies, and I'm sure a few others, the exact same game), are available significantly cheaper everywhere else. The other problem is that I really don't think the games are worth what they're asking anyway. I can see 3D remakes like Excitebike going for around $5-10 happily, but plain old ports of 10yo games? Alleyway on 3DS is the same price as Arcanum on GOG? Zenonia and Plants V Zombies the same price as Baldur's Gate 2 or Planescape?

They also just plain old need more games. Steam tells me it has 951 games under $10. The iOS appstore has some ridiculous number of games, all dirt cheap. You can't just say that cheap games devalue the market and thus ignore your competition's price point, or you end up with people like me who are interested in seeing the store, download it almost as soon as it comes out, browse it quickly and then leave, possibly never to return, because the prices are so ridiculous.

Hell, if you're going to charge a premium, at least make the service worthy of a premium. Make it easier to browse, to find things, give me demos, don't make me buy money in blocks. Do a little something to earn my money, instead of just sullenly saying that the cheaper store down the road's ruining the neighbourhood.

AnteCantelope on
    This discussion has been closed.