As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I still have a soft-spot for the game, I just can't recommend anyone spend money on it.

Which sucks, because I had lots of good times, but the population isn't there for lower levels and the devs don't seem to have any focus.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WAR is clearly a dying product with EA just playing out its string to maintain whatever contractual obligation they have with Games Workshop. So, no, that would indeed not be condusive to maintaining focus.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Oh yes, there's definitely a month's worth of content in here before you grow tired of it and go back to WOW...

Ah well I haven't played Wow in at least 3 years so I'm all good. :mrgreen:

I was just curious, I mean, reviews of the game weren't horrible horrible... :? Aaah... the mysterious ways of the MMO market...

Tremblay on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WAR is clearly a dying product with EA just playing out its string to maintain whatever contractual obligation they have with Games Workshop. So, no, that would indeed not be condusive to maintaining focus.

Then DAoC must clearly be a dying product with EA just playing out its string to maintain whatever contractual obligation they have with... themselves seeing as they own Mythic and that game. Oh, and UO for that matter too.

This is just false. EA would love for WAR, DAoC or UO to be multi-million MMOs, but there are few of those these days and MMOs have been like this for ages. They come about, spring plenty of interest, and slowly wean from there with new content packs periodically rekindling interest with varying degrees of success. The oddball here is obviously WoW as it is the one that bucks this trend.

MMOs are good to keep around and I highly doubt WAR nor Camelot nor UO will be going anywhere for a while. Comparatively, their cost is in basic maintenance with a permanent night shift crew running things behind the scenes. The MMOs that blatantly are failures are ones that were never that 'massive' to begin with and their fire burns lows with little fuel for it left. Once established though, MMOs like DAoC essentially run themselves to EA exec's eyes.

"Okay, we have a team of 30 or so that cost X and the game has about 20,000 subscriptions from diehards that give us Y every month."

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Then DAoC must clearly be a dying product with EA just playing out its string to maintain whatever contractual obligation they have with... themselves seeing as they own Mythic and that game. Oh, and UO for that matter too.

This is just false. EA would love for WAR, DAoC or UO to be multi-million MMOs, but there are few of those these days and MMOs have been like this for ages. They come about, spring plenty of interest, and slowly wean from there with new content packs periodically rekindling interest with varying degrees of success. The oddball here is obviously WoW as it is the one that bucks this trend.

MMOs are good to keep around and I highly doubt WAR nor Camelot nor UO will be going anywhere for a while. Comparatively, their cost is in basic maintenance with a permanent night shift crew running things behind the scenes. The MMOs that blatantly are failures are ones that were never that 'massive' to begin with and their fire burns lows with little fuel for it left. Once established though, MMOs like DAoC essentially run themselves to EA exec's eyes.

"Okay, we have a team of 30 or so that cost X and the game has about 20,000 subscriptions from diehards that give us Y every month."

Fuck yes, thank you very much for actually making sense and not saying a game that will live on died 2 years ago.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, for five bucks you'll probably get a lot out of it. The Endless Trial keeps you in Tier 1, which is a LOT of fun. Things get steadily worse, with Tier 3 being the tier that is horrible and made me quit every single time. Tier 2 is fun, and is easily worth five bucks.

If you get to Tier 3 and like it, awesome. If you don't, you still probably got five dollars' worth of entertainment.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked T4 the least, to be honest. T3 was fine because people actually seemed to realize how the game is meant to be played, we were forming small groups at multiple choke points and protecting them while our main force assaulted the main door. It was awesome.
    Then came T4 and suddenly no one was covering the back doors any more, anyone at level cap could two-shot me regardless of class and I melted to AoEs not even aimed at me. Even reaching cap didn't change it that much, it just meant I had time to run away from geared people, rather than just keeling over, no way in hell was I actually denting them.

tl;dr: fuck gear progression in a PVP game.

Glal on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish this game would go Free to PLay, I really really enjoyed this game but when the WoW expansion came out this game died overnight and with it so did the PVP which was the best part. Free to Play would inject new life into the game, i dont know how they'd do it, but it would be nice.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    I liked T4 the least, to be honest. T3 was fine because people actually seemed to realize how the game is meant to be played, we were forming small groups at multiple choke points and protecting them while our main force assaulted the main door. It was awesome.
    Then came T4 and suddenly no one was covering the back doors any more, anyone at level cap could two-shot me regardless of class and I melted to AoEs not even aimed at me. Even reaching cap didn't change it that much, it just meant I had time to run away from geared people, rather than just keeling over, no way in hell was I actually denting them.

tl;dr: fuck gear progression in a PVP game.

Honestly, I second this. Not because of your negative experience though.

Because I've seen what it's like for everyone to be in the top tier gear on the pts and it was near PERFECTLY BALANCED.

Like, they put alot of thought when it came to balancing those sets. However, they forgot that 80% of the population didn't have the RR to wear it, and the people who did where near unkillable god machines.

However, all this, and it was STILL the most balanced PvP in an MMO that I've ever played.

God I miss it so.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Agreed, at lower tiers when most people just had quest gear with some PQ/renown pieces thrown it it was so much fun.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I guess the game is doing well, because they have stubbornly refused to go F2P. Albeit, Tier 1 has an unlimited trial.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I despise gear based progression. It's what turned me off of WoW, and is turning me off of Rift as i come to realize its the same thing.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    MMOs probably aren't your bag if you dislike gear progression. Wasnt like..CoX the last MMO without gear, and even then it enhancements which were basically gear.

I miss WAR a lot. Rift is scratching the itch, but it doesn't have the same theme.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Enhancements were gear, but had a very narrow scope. Later changed with set bonuses and shit, but it's still very light compared to traditional MMOs.

And if you miss WAR then...resub. Shit, you can probably find someone to toss you a trial for your account if you don't want to risk the cash right away. The game is hardly dead, and the people left are probably the diehards that are more than willing to cater to desperately needed fresh blood.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Part of me's really tempted to fire it up again just so I can finally push my WH to RR 40.

So close, gotta get it sometime...

Also swore I heard something about a renown/XP bonus for the holiday weekend.

EDIT: Whoa, what? Apparently they re-did the renown & level required for gear. Apparently Annihilator's a level 25 set now. D: No wonder I was dying so much in scenarios tonight.

EDIT 2: After more exploration, Conqueror's a level 30ish set, and Invader's the level 40/RR40 set. Hey, I can actually use some of this armor I've been stashing in my bags now.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Running the same instances/dungeons over and over and over and over trying to get the uber gear with a super low drop % just does not appeal to me at all is what it is. I enjoy PVP and collecting gear and such, but turning into a full time job to progress is not my thing, no.

Elimination on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    what is tier 1?
    I never knew what i was doing in War half the time it did not help my shadow warrior was lost in the dark elf areas and my magus well I did not know what I was doing

I did play a black guard for a time but I found tanking really boring for some reason

I never did a dungeon since I never got a character above level 20

Brainleech on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tier 1 is the first areas and from rank 1-15(?)

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Tier 1 is 1-11.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Tier 1 is 1-11.

Sorta. Chicken-levels got changed in 1.4.

Tier 1: Level 1 -15
    Tier 2: Level 12-26
    Tier 3: Level 22-39
    Tier 4: Level 40

Scenarios also got changed.

Tier 1 1-15
    Tier 2 16-26
    Tier 3 27-39
    Tier 4 40's

Bolsters changed to reflect the new values.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I agree, only in this case I'm fairly certain WAR has two part time devs, two volunteer forum Mods and a dying hamster for the 'dev team'.

I agree with some of the others, too. T4 was my least favorite area, even before they screwed everything up.

I was a badass archmage though. It was fun while it lasted.

mellestad on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They're introducing a new event and scenario this month.

Not much, but pretty impressive for a rodent at death's door.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They're introducing a new event and scenario this month.

Not much, but pretty impressive for a rodent at death's door.

Well the rodent mostly focuses on keeping the servers running. Which explains why there are only a couple left, I guess. They should have hired raccoons.

I'm mostly serious about the two part time devs though. Their content/patch release schedule is so bare I can't imagine more than a handful of people actually working on the game. A programmer, an artist....maybe an artist? A lot of the content has been stuff they pulled from the leavings of the original content team. I'm not sure if they've actually created anything new, art wise.

Certainly they've got a couple people though. The QA process is probably handled as part of the overall company, but if not then they'll have some QA staff as well.

Ah well. Let us know how Sigmar's Tide goes.

mellestad on
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hello, I've just gotten back into this, had 14 days free and Rift reminded me a lot of this game.

Is there anyone on badlands (order currently) who can explain things to me? This is amazingly confusing for me, also people keep asking me about my helm and shoulders?

It says something about being locked into order for 8 hours, I assume this has something to do with the free days?

But I see a lot of grey servers, are they dead or am I just unable to use them?

Retaba on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Retaba wrote: »
    Hello, I've just gotten back into this, had 14 days free and Rift reminded me a lot of this game.

Is there anyone on badlands (order currently) who can explain things to me? This is amazingly confusing for me, also people keep asking me about my helm and shoulders?

It says something about being locked into order for 8 hours, I assume this has something to do with the free days?

But I see a lot of grey servers, are they dead or am I just unable to use them?

Low level helm and shoulders are impossible to get (Gale-Runner) any more and there are some unique graphics sets that are hard to get. You can create Order and Destruction on the same server, when when you play one side you are locked into that side for the 8 hours, as a lock out to prevent cross realming. The grey servers ARE dead. There are 2 NA servers, 2 European, and 1 German or dutch or some thing.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh, thanks... time to transfer then

Seems like a ranged character is needed because most of the fights just appear to be stand away and shoot

Retaba on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There are only 2 NA servers now? Does that mean that they're actually active?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I know T1 is on Badlands, the human v chaos area had a some battles going on

Retaba on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    T1's activity owes a lot to the trial system they have set up. I reactivated my account and have been playing on Gorfang. There's usually at least a little action in each tier, but you rarely see more than two full warband out in RvR anymore. I'm okay with that actually, because my game tends to chug with a bunch of people around, but I do miss seeing four or five full warbands march into Chaos Wastes or some such to do battle with the same sort of numbers on the other side.

Its a shame there are still so many glitches and animation errors that will probably never get fixed due to the size of the current crew. The flight animation for the griffons used to bomb keeps in T4 could probably give someone a seizure if they stared at it too long.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Are there enough people to accomodate the odd new player still? I'm back on a Warhammer kick. I'll be getting a decent internet connection soon as well, and this game is super cheap these days, so playing for the free month won't hurt if I don't like it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's still city sieges and keep takes if you want it. You just have to play.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The game will likely be shrinking to one server to consolidate the small population. I was just browsing through the art book that came with the Collector's Edition (something I've done every few months since the game launched) and was once again struck by how poorly the game lived up to expectations. I hope that the company developing the WH40K MMO takes a careful look at the mistakes in WAR. It would be almost criminal to mismanage another Warhammer game as badly as WAR.

Shiningfury on
  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    I really wish war had done a lot better, they had some damn cool class ideas, like the warpriest...

Hit people and heal my party? fuck yes.

jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    WAR taught me to never, ever buy into PR hype. Their videos pre-launch were basically just lies. The healing model NEVER really lived up to the claims. While you could make it kinda work, you probably weren't as effective as the dude sitting far away spamming straight heals and rezzes.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    They came close to ideal group healing with the Warrior Priest/Disciple of Khaine. Those two classes should've been more capable of doing good front-line dps while also delivering significant healing. Instead, you had to choose one or the other. That video where the PR hack claimed that nobody in WAR would be running around the back lines healing still pisses me off. That's exactly the kind of healing they delivered instead of what was promised. Still, the Warrior Priest is my favorite class in any MMO ever. WAR did a few things correctly.

• Options
    Well I think other games looked at the Idea War had with healing and worked with it because it's not as bad as it used to be
    But then I still have no idea why they went with the holy trinity in SW TOR because how does want tank a gunfight? and healing? first aid kits and other things I could understand why Jedi have wierd powers in this

• Options
    Don't see the problem with tanking in a gunfight. It's not like tanking in fantasy games is about jumping around to block the strikes meant for your friends, it's usually just about keeping the other guy more pissed at you than others.

• Options
    In my experence it's bad to be the center of attention in a fire fight

• Options
    Worse than be the center of attention of a 300 foot monster deity from another realm? Huh.

• Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    Been playing Rift lately and it's like Warhammer except better PvE and public quests. And combat. And pvp. And just about everything. Props to Warhammer for being so cool in its time but if anyones jonesing for what Warhammer does, try rift.