As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Playstation Store Thread - Use the New Thread!

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    AC1 was a pretty good game with some pretty serious flaws. AC2 is seriously just a wonderful game. They fix almost everything that made AC1 such a frustrating overall experience.

Dehumanized on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Justice wrote: »
    Is AC2 a lot better? I played the demo and thought, meh, but decided it was worth $10 anyhow.

(Also, general note, Amazon has the $20 PSN cards back in stock.)

Mind blowingly better. Achieves perfection.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    In a world driven by franchises, AC2 is the shining antithesis to the cash-in sequel. I don't think a game has worn a "2" quite so exquisitely since perhaps Half-Life 2.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited June 2011
    In a world driven by franchises, AC2 is the shining antithesis to the cash-in sequel. I don't think a game has worn a "2" quite so exquisitely since perhaps Half-Life 2.

I don't know why they bothered naming the third game Assassins Creed Brotherhood, instead of AC3. It might as well be. The quality of content simply does not let up.

I finally claimed a free game. The Wipeout pack. I actually had Wipeout from trading accounts with someone. They got Zen Pinball and I got Wipeout. But I got sick of having two accounts, so I deleted his and it changed to a trial. I'm more than happy to use one of my freebies on such an excellent game. Plus, DLC!

Now to pick a second game...

Cantido on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dead Nation is pretty entertaining. It's got local co-op too if that's your sort of thing.

Rizzi on
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

I don't know why they bothered naming the third game Assassins Creed Brotherhood, instead of AC3. It might as well be. The quality of content simply does not let up.

I finally claimed a free game. The Wipeout pack. I actually had Wipeout from trading accounts with someone. They got Zen Pinball and I got Wipeout. But I got sick of having two accounts, so I deleted his and it changed to a trial. I'm more than happy to use one of my freebies on such an excellent game. Plus, DLC!

Now to pick a second game...

They didn't call it AC3 because they planned the series as a trilogy and if they made AC3 they couldn't release more and more sequels into the same storyline.

Dehumanized on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope they decide on a change of era and scenery before they slap a 3 on the box.

But yeah, 2 is fucking fantastic. An unbelievable leap from 1.

Renzo on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Could I get added to the PSN list please?

PSN: Hellisforheroes
    Region: Australia (west coast)
    Headset: Yes

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You're on it now.

Also, apologies everyone, but I seemed to have missed the E3 Video update.

Not a lot in it for a proper store update, but there's lots of videos, sales on everything Tom Clancy just about. Don't believe me?
    PlayStation Plus

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 Trial
    File size: 10 GB
    Updates

Tom Clancy’s End War Escalation Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. 2: All in One Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. 2: Cold War Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $1.99, original price $3.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. 2: Mig Alley Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $1.99, original price $3.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. 2: Russian Power Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $1.49, original price $2.99)
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Vegas 2 – Digital – E3 –Sale (PS3) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.: European Assault Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $2.49, original price $4.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.: Russian Falcons Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $2.49, original price $4.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.: Supremacy Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. U.S. Eagles Pack – E3 – Sale (PS3) (now $2.49, original price $4.99)
    Tom Clancy’s End War – E3 – Sale (PSP) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 – E3 – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Predator – Digital – E3 – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas – E3 – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Essentials – E3 – Sale (PSP) (now $4.99, original price $9.99)

-(PS3) Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 Digital ($19.99)

Yeah.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's a lot of Tom Clancy.

BTW, how long do sales last? I want to get AC2 but I wont have cash for a new card til Friday.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cuh-Lancy

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • kouri1977kouri1977 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just got my PS3 yesterday. I can't actually buy anything from the store as it's still down in Japan. Thanks for all the great tips. Thankfully, many of the games are available here.

Is there a game gifting system for downloadable games similar to the one on Wii?

kouri1977 on
    edited June 2011
    Nope. You could go outside the system and buy activation codes off an online retailer (like Amazon, not sure if they serve JPN PSN codes, though) and send them to a friend.

Dehumanized on
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So a few questions.

1. I noticed you guys mentioning AC and AC2 on the cheap. Should I buy both games, or just the second? (In other words, would I be missing out on anything if I skip Assassin's Creed?)

2. What games would you guys recommend getting for the welcome back program. I already chose Infamous for my first PS3 game and already own LBP. I also own a PSP, so I need to decide 2 games from there.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The first game is effectively just a proof-of-concept for the second. What successes it has are only improved upon in the second, and it fails in several key areas that make a game fun to play.

The second is certainly worth getting, the first not so much. The story is such a disaster that you won't really miss much. If you find that after playing the second you need more Assassin's Creed, keep skipping AC1 and get Brotherhood instead.

JAEF on
    edited June 2011
    Any story details from 1 which you might want to know are best served by reading a synopsis of the plot then spending your time on 2

Dehumanized on
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Really? Because I had a blast with the original Assassin's Creed. I don't think people give it enough credit, honestly.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved AC1's setting much more than AC2. I also thought the theft missions were a little more tense. I didn't like Etzio at all at first, though he grew on me a little, but I kind of dug Altair from the start. Sure, he's a little dull but there's something about the character I could really get behind.

I also really liked the integration with 'the real world' more in AC1. It was pretty simplistic but discovering all the little tid-bits of information and doing the fairly limited exploration you could felt awesome.

Game mechanics wise though, AC2 is massively ahead of AC1 and it'd be a struggle to go back to it.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited June 2011
    Is LBP2 worth it if you just repurchased LBP1 as a free game? I've never been into creating anything, only playing other peoples stuff.

And lets say I want to create stuff. Is it better to start in the first game or the second?

Also, I find it hilarious that the Wipeout Fury pack permanently makes everything look grimdark.

Cantido on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    AC1 had an awesome setting and some pretty awesome game play.

Unfortunately they make you retread that awesome setting over and over again until you're sick to fucking death of it, and the pretty awesome game play is comprised of short segments sandwiched between much longer segments of awful tedium.

You're not missing anything of import by just watching the beginning and end of the game on youtube, and then just playing AC2.

Maddoc on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it's worth borrowing or renting AC1 just to take in the setting. They do a really good job of conveying the time and place.
    Even though it's nowhere near 100% accurate, it's certainly believable.

Diarmuid on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    AC1 is worth playing, but it's not worth trying to get 100% in. $10 seems about right for it to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    AC1 is worth playing, but it's not worth trying to get 100% in. $10 seems about right for it to me.

Yeah, this. If you just stick to the assassination missions, it's quite a lot of fun. Don't bother with any collectathons. And don't do every clue hunt leading up to an assassination, just do the ones you like.

captaink on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is LBP2 worth it if you just repurchased LBP1 as a free game? I've never been into creating anything, only playing other peoples stuff.

And lets say I want to create stuff. Is it better to start in the first game or the second?

Also, I find it hilarious that the Wipeout Fury pack permanently makes everything look grimdark.

You can switch back to the original HD menus in the options.

Moioink on
  • elalcaudonelalcaudon Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    For those of you that haven't picked up the Move system yet.

It's pretty great, the sports game gives a strong idea of what the controller systems can do and the "Tumble" game on the store is pretty nifty too.

elalcaudon on
    Oliver | Ganar Dinero
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just got an e-mail from my dad that an old e-mail address has been sending him spam. Thanks, Sony.

On a positive note, this just further reinforces my attempts to convince my wife we need strong passwords on our accounts and different passwords for each one.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If you don't want things to send people spam, create a more complicated password with alternating numbers and letters.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey Guys, I won a PS3 last week at our company Gold tournament. It's the Call of duty Black ops edtion with the game and a 160GB. Not a huge CoD fan so still wondering if I'll keep the game or sell it.

1- Any "must have" PS3 exclusifs? I own an Xbox 360 so I am not interested in cross plateform games. So far, out of some reading, and because they could be had cheap, I bought the original InFamous (always got intruiged in the game) and uncharted 2 (have a friend who has the orignal and will allow me to borrow it). Wondering if down the road there are other must have PS3 exclusifs that I should look into.

2- Is the Playstation Plus subscription worth it? Beside some free games and trials, what would be the reason to pay 50$ a year for this? (what's stupid is a flyer that came with the console says I can get 2 years for the price of one, yet on the website and on the playstation network from the console, I can't sign up for that deal).

thanks in advance!

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Uncharted 1 and 2 and LittleBigPlanet (just skip to 2, no reason to get the first) are your primary picks.

Beyond that, depends what kind of genre you're in for.

Professor Snugglesworth on
    edited June 2011
    Uncharted 1 and 2 and LittleBigPlanet (just skip to 2, no reason to get the first) are your primary picks.

Beyond that, depends what kind of genre you're in for.

I thought about little big planet but the gameplay puzzle me. I'm downloading a demo from the psn store to see if I like it.

already have inFamous and uncharted 2 heading here from amazon.

my gaming taste is pretty varied, it goes from hockey, to FPS, to RPG, etc...

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited June 2011
    Valkyria Chronicles might tickle your RPG itch. It's got a very distinctive art style, and gameplay that is a bit of a hybrid between a turn-based strategy JRPG and a third person shooter.

Demon's Souls is another good RPG choice. It's an action RPG with reputation as being punishingly hard; but it's also an extremely rewarding game if you can enjoy something that doesn't hold your hand.

Dehumanized on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guibs, give us your PSN ID so we can add you. I'm new too, and this is a friendly bunch.

Also... Outland tomorrow, in NA? Yesss.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So. I can't get on to the PSN on my PSP because it wants me to change my password BUT the website that it points me to for the password change is down? Is the PSN not back up (in the US) for those of us that don't have PS3's?

https://store.playstation.com/login.gvm

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Get the Ratchet and Clank games. They're fantastic and the best PS3 exclusives in my opinion.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Valkyria Chronicles is definitely a must-have. I've never played any game like it before.

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Guibs wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I won a PS3 last week at our company Gold tournament. It's the Call of duty Black ops edtion with the game and a 160GB. Not a huge CoD fan so still wondering if I'll keep the game or sell it.

1- Any "must have" PS3 exclusifs? I own an Xbox 360 so I am not interested in cross plateform games. So far, out of some reading, and because they could be had cheap, I bought the original InFamous (always got intruiged in the game) and uncharted 2 (have a friend who has the orignal and will allow me to borrow it). Wondering if down the road there are other must have PS3 exclusifs that I should look into.

2- Is the Playstation Plus subscription worth it? Beside some free games and trials, what would be the reason to pay 50$ a year for this? (what's stupid is a flyer that came with the console says I can get 2 years for the price of one, yet on the website and on the playstation network from the console, I can't sign up for that deal).

thanks in advance!

1) There's a lot of really high quality exclusives so I'll just list them by genre:

RPG - Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, White Knight Chronicles 2 (includes WKC1's single player on the disc)
    Platformer - Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction+A Crack in Time, LittleBigPlanet 2
    Survival Horror - Siren: Blood Curse
    Action - God of War Collection+3
    FPS - Killzone 2+, SOCOM 4, Resistance 1
    Action/Adventure - Uncharted 1+2, Infamous 1+2, Yakuza 3+4
    Adventure - Heavy Rain
    Racing - Gran Turismo 5, Motorstorm: Apocolypse, ModNation Racers

As for PSN games, I'd recommend just looking at the OP (though Mogs still needs to update it and the upcoming releases section).

Oh and for the hell of it, exclusives coming out this year:
    Uncharted 3, Team Ico Collection, Journey (PSN), Okabu (PSN), Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PSN), Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Disgaea 4, Silent Hill Collection and God of War Origins Collection.

2) PSN+ comes with a bunch of different things and it just depends on whether you think it's worth it. The free games and DLC are basically rentals, which you have until your subscription runs out. The free themes and avatars are yours to keep though. Then there's the extra discounts they offer and the couple of extra services (automatic updates for all your games and cloud saves). So its worth depends really, on how much you're going to use the PSN. Personally I've been tempted to subscribe to it but have refrained so far.
    Elin wrote: »
    So. I can't get on to the PSN on my PSP because it wants me to change my password BUT the website that it points me to for the password change is down? Is the PSN not back up (in the US) for those of us that don't have PS3's?

Try the Qriocity website, apparently that works.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zython wrote: »
    2. What games would you guys recommend getting for the welcome back program. I already chose Infamous for my first PS3 game and already own LBP. I also own a PSP, so I need to decide 2 games from there.

Not sure if this was answered. I'll say Wipeout HD and Pursuit Force are your best bet from the list given. LBP PSP is quite like the PS3 game. Not sure if there's interconnectivity, if not probably go for one of the others.

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's this?

War of the Worlds + Sir Patrick Stewart?

It looks like I'm going to have to pick up a PSN card and finally buy a game off of PSN when this comes out. Well, as long as it's good of course.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Guibs wrote: »

thanks in advance!

1) There's a lot of really high quality exclusives so I'll just list them by genre:

RPG - Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, White Knight Chronicles 2 (includes WKC1's single player on the disc)
    Platformer - Sly Collection, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction+A Crack in Time, LittleBigPlanet 2
    Survival Horror - Siren: Blood Curse
    Action - God of War Collection+3
    FPS - Killzone 2+, SOCOM 4, Resistance 1
    Action/Adventure - Uncharted 1+2, Infamous 1+2, Yakuza 3+4
    Adventure - Heavy Rain
    Racing - Gran Turismo 5, Motorstorm: Apocolypse, ModNation Racers

As for PSN games, I'd recommend just looking at the OP (though Mogs still needs to update it and the upcoming releases section).

Oh and for the hell of it, exclusives coming out this year:
    Uncharted 3, Team Ico Collection, Journey (PSN), Okabu (PSN), Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PSN), Twisted Metal, Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, Disgaea 4, Silent Hill Collection and God of War Origins Collection.

2) PSN+ comes with a bunch of different things and it just depends on whether you think it's worth it. The free games and DLC are basically rentals, which you have until your subscription runs out. The free themes and avatars are yours to keep though. Then there's the extra discounts they offer and the couple of extra services (automatic updates for all your games and cloud saves). So its worth depends really, on how much you're going to use the PSN. Personally I've been tempted to subscribe to it but have refrained so far.
    Elin wrote: »

Try the Qriocity website, apparently that works.

thanks for the list, I remember being very intrigued by Valkyria Chronicles when it came out but I didn't have a PS3, didn't really went further, I'll look into it.

Rathchet and Clank is another that cough my eye before but again, since I didn't own a sony console since the original Playstation, never got into it.

Thanks for the info on PS+, might wait and see if I do spend a lot of time on the PS3 to see if it's worth it. Already have so many games and so little time to play them all, adding a PS3 won't help my backorder list that spam from the PC to the Xbox 360 and wii and now the PS3. It's like I love collecting videogames casing and disk but never got time to play them.

Guibs on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just a quick word about Valkyria:

If you've ever watched an anime show that everyone else loved and thought "these characters and are annoying and this dialog is dumb!" there is a chance that you might have a similar reaction to VC.

The strategy and particular realtime-turn-based format will blow you away no matter what, though. And the music, and the art direction, and the... wait, why haven't I finished this game?

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
This discussion has been closed.