As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragons of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist. [Skyrim]

• Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why? Why does Oblivion just decide to crash to desktop despite me making no system changes and despite it being a completely fresh as the new fallen snow installation via Steam?

/fights PC

Oh well I suppose I can probably afford a few driver updates seeing as I just realized I haven't updated my video drivers since 2009.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    what the hell is the morrowind code patch

T4CT on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The MCP just fixes some obvious bugs / oversight in the Morrowind code like the Unarmored skill not working unless you're wearing at least 1 piece of armor.

Galy on
    mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Galy wrote: »
    The MCP just fixes some obvious bugs / oversight in the Morrowind code like the Unarmored skill not working unless you're wearing at least 1 piece of armor.

That is amazing.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    one of my favorites is this
    Blind fix. The Blind effect gave an attack bonus to the PC instead of a penalty. This should no longer happen.

oh morrowind, you're so quirky

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Question for clued in people smarter than me. I have both the boxed version of Oblivion and the GOTY edition I picked up through Steam when it was on for super cheap. Why does the GOTY edition not seem to have all the same nested folders within the Oblivion/data/ directory?

It seems a lot of texture and meshes which were there at one point, are now all stuffed into the .bsa files in the Oblivion directory. Does this affect my ability to apply mods? Is this why there needs to be some sort of validation run prior to seeing any change?

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Do you have mods installed in the old box version? They'll often create the folders if they aren't present.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually Macro I've figured it out. I was assuming that because the folders were not present in the data directory originally, Oblivion would ignore them and go with the ones in the .bsa archives.

Reading this page and the section about Archive Invalidation has been very illuminating.

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Annie found his copy of Morrowind + Expansions, so I installed that yesterday. Now to troll through the thread so I can find if there's any necessary mods I need.

No idea what character I want to play, kind of tired of playing magic characters so I wanna hit people with stuff I guess.

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I always found sneaky types to be pretty fun in Morrowind.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sneaking is fun and all but you can't jump and sneak at the same time. Jumping everywhere with a high acrobatics skill is one of the best things about marrowund.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    having high acrobatics is fun

getting high acrobatics is not

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    pfff just jump literally everywhere for every second of the game you can and you'll be there in...

well, quite a few hours

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I don't even want to think about all the acrobatics training I did on the hills on the east side of Balmora.

So many hours jumping, jumping, and jumping.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Elder Scrolls VII: Jump More Harder

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    With Kinect support.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Elder Scrolls VII: The Legend of Springheel Jak

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Bethesda Hacked, Details About To Be Leaked

LulzSec, who have claimed responsibility for many of the gaming hacks of late, have announced they’ve had access to Bethesda/Zenimax’s data for a couple of months, and are planning on releasing details today. They’ve been winding up BethSoft all day, threatening to release details of a number of games, including Brink. However, in their usual way, they are suggesting they’ll go easy on them because “we love Call of Cthulhu.” They rather spuriously suggest this is motivated by a lack of details on Skyrim, but even if they received some, plan “to embarrass you anyway.”

As usual LulzSec’s Twitter feed is a mixture of taunting boasts and in-fighting with others in the community, but in the mix is the claim that they currently have over 200,000 users’ details. That’s the bit they suggest they might not leak because of the power of 2005′s Cthulhu game, co-published by Bethesda.

But for some reason the focus of their attack seems to be Brink. Yesterday they warned, “Say your prayers, Brink users.” Seemingly in response to protests from others who pointed out that there’s little argument for their being victims they explained, “If you want ethics, go cry to #Anonymous,” indicating their anarchic motivations are far less politically or socially driven than the Fawkesian crowd. “We did it because they couldn’t stop us,” is the reasoning.

They explain that they’ve had access to the Bethesda data for a couple of months, but seem to be waiting for a couple more details before they release it all. And then comes the threat just a few minutes ago that if Bethesda gives “everyone more info on Skyrim and we’ll keep the user database to ourselves. However we are going to embarrass you anyway. :D” Then they push their teasing one step further suggesting, “Bethesda, add an official LulzSec top hat to Skyrim and we’ll remove your admin configurations from our incoming leak. Deal?”

It’s clearly an extremely unpleasant experience for those at Bethesda, and it’s a demonstration of what is behind these hacks: the lulz. Those trying to fathom a pattern, or guess what form of revenge or injustice is behind their motivations needs to understand that no such thing is relevant. It’s not even because it’s found to be funny, nor to prove hacking prowess (although that’s clearly a factor along the way). It’s because they can. Thus, lulz.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/13/bethesda-hacked-details-about-to-be-leaked/

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Jesus H Christ

Tam on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wish I had that much free time

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    a group titling themselves lulzsec ought to be taken out and shot.

edit: that article seems confused. They are doing because they find it funny. As much as I hate it that...that is what lulz means. doing it for the lulz etymology lawls lols laughing out loud

Langly on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »

LulzSec, who have claimed responsibility for many of the gaming hacks of late, have announced they’ve had access to Bethesda/Zenimax’s data for a couple of months, and are planning on releasing details today. They’ve been winding up BethSoft all day, threatening to release details of a number of games, including Brink. However, in their usual way, they are suggesting they’ll go easy on them because “we love Call of Cthulhu.” They rather spuriously suggest this is motivated by a lack of details on Skyrim, but even if they received some, plan “to embarrass you anyway.”

As usual LulzSec’s Twitter feed is a mixture of taunting boasts and in-fighting with others in the community, but in the mix is the claim that they currently have over 200,000 users’ details. That’s the bit they suggest they might not leak because of the power of 2005′s Cthulhu game, co-published by Bethesda.

But for some reason the focus of their attack seems to be Brink. Yesterday they warned, “Say your prayers, Brink users.” Seemingly in response to protests from others who pointed out that there’s little argument for their being victims they explained, “If you want ethics, go cry to #Anonymous,” indicating their anarchic motivations are far less politically or socially driven than the Fawkesian crowd. “We did it because they couldn’t stop us,” is the reasoning.

They explain that they’ve had access to the Bethesda data for a couple of months, but seem to be waiting for a couple more details before they release it all. And then comes the threat just a few minutes ago that if Bethesda gives “everyone more info on Skyrim and we’ll keep the user database to ourselves. However we are going to embarrass you anyway. :D” Then they push their teasing one step further suggesting, “Bethesda, add an official LulzSec top hat to Skyrim and we’ll remove your admin configurations from our incoming leak. Deal?”

It’s clearly an extremely unpleasant experience for those at Bethesda, and it’s a demonstration of what is behind these hacks: the lulz. Those trying to fathom a pattern, or guess what form of revenge or injustice is behind their motivations needs to understand that no such thing is relevant. It’s not even because it’s found to be funny, nor to prove hacking prowess (although that’s clearly a factor along the way). It’s because they can. Thus, lulz.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/13/bethesda-hacked-details-about-to-be-leaked/

it's not against the rules to call people outside of the forums assholes, is it?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i hate children

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Zoinks

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    i'm sure these people are technically adults but

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Epic was hacked, too.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »

it's not against the rules to call people outside of the forums assholes, is it?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19411818#post19411818

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    on the bright side, no source code leak

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i hate children

hey now

don't let one goose give other kids a bad name

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    when are system reqs for games typically released? as in, how long before the game comes out?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The release date's been public for a while now. It's even on the gameplay trailers. 11-11-11

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hahaha Druhim I don't understand that infraction

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dru he's not asking for the release date. He's asking if anyone knows how far in advance of the release date the system requirements can be expected.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    *insert dru is old joke here*

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Say your prayers, Brink users"

Haha what

Why

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    oh, sorry Tam

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I am glad there is a hacker group out there more retarded than Anonymous.

That is a thing that was necessary.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've met and seen some interesting people at PAX and otherwise, but I kinda would like to meet one of these people in person to see if they really are that socially crippled and obnoxious or to see if they're actually rampaging beasts of men capable of feats of athleticism and wonder. Those extremes are the only two options.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    As assholish and immature as the hackers are, major corporations (especially in a technology related field) should have better fucking security than this.

Fugitive wrote: »
    I am glad there is a hacker group out there more retarded than Anonymous.

That is a thing that was necessary.

they're barely different

L|ama on
This discussion has been closed.