As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chicken and asparagus [chat]

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    so i fixed our sink. water was only coming through the hose, rather than the tap. i got a new shower head for the sink, and replaced the hose underneath and sealed it against leaks.

it is kind of ridiculous how good it felt. i don't give a shit about plumbing, and it was a relatively simple DIY project- but completing it felt amazing. it's amazing how, after such a long stretch of unemployment, accomplishing anything measurable and examinable feels like you have worth again.

come replace my tail light!

hold on let me find a really bright pair of briefs. gonna cabana boy it up.

My housemate's boyfriend did just that once. Something was wrong with the washing machine and I was on one of my weekends in France, so she rang her gentleman of the moment and he turned up shirtless and wearing a toolbelt, announcing himself with "I'm here to fix your washing machine".

I wish he'd also had a moustache. And that he ever did anything nearly as entertaining ever again.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so i fixed our sink. water was only coming through the hose, rather than the tap. i got a new shower head for the sink, and replaced the hose underneath and sealed it against leaks.

it is kind of ridiculous how good it felt. i don't give a shit about plumbing, and it was a relatively simple DIY project- but completing it felt amazing. it's incredible how, after such a long stretch of unemployment, accomplishing anything measurable and examinable feels like you have worth again.

yesssss

tyrannus on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So the Republicans sat down and had a thoughtgul discussion of policy?
    :P

i heard that they all turned viciously on Reagan

and that they started trying to hash out new revenue sources and targeting wasteful military expenditures in keeping with their agreed-upon goal of reducing the deficit.

are we testing out the vanilla plugin that lets us post from alternate universes

let's talk about how awesome the star wars prequels were. I can't decide if I liked the one directed by david fincher or the one directed by steven spielberg best!

Man, System Shock 5 was amazing.

Origin really does make the best games.

It helped that Peter Molyneux came over to write SHODAN's dialogue for the escape pod sequences.

I played that with my sister! it was great.

fuck I just depressed myself

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    so what's up doggs?

we talking magic the gathering cards here?

is magic the gathering cards what is going on?

I saw you play that IRL

o snap

(you totally did!)

and you were into them.

now, in your defense, kakos weighs a lot more than you and he kind of had your back against the proverbial wall... but after a few minutes you guys were chatting away fervently about the rules and rare, lawyery exceptions. you don't fool me.

then you came up to our room and ate domino's!

god.

you probably got an orange scooter so the cheeto dust wouldn't be conspicuous.

yess

i did my best to stay above all the dorkery at pax

but you bastards dragged me in

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

it is kind of ridiculous how good it felt. i don't give a shit about plumbing, and it was a relatively simple DIY project- but completing it felt amazing. it's amazing how, after such a long stretch of unemployment, accomplishing anything measurable and examinable feels like you have worth again.

come replace my tail light!

hold on let me find a really bright pair of briefs. gonna cabana boy it up.

My housemate's boyfriend did just that once. Something was wrong with the washing machine and I was on one of my weekends in France, so she rang her gentleman of the moment and he turned up shirtless and wearing a toolbelt, announcing himself with "I'm here to fix your washing machine".

I wish he'd also had a moustache. And that he ever did anything nearly as entertaining ever again.

"I think i'll go ahead and throw in a load"

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    so what's up doggs?

I saw you play that IRL

o snap

(you totally did!)

and you were into them.

now, in your defense, kakos weighs a lot more than you and he kind of had your back against the proverbial wall... but after a few minutes you guys were chatting away fervently about the rules and rare, lawyery exceptions. you don't fool me.

then you came up to our room and ate domino's!

god.

you probably got an orange scooter so the cheeto dust wouldn't be conspicuous.

yess

well in our defense, we can't really help it. we're so fat we have a pretty strong orbital attraction coefficient.

Organichu on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    haha

self...zing?

So It Goes on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    fuck I just depressed myself

:(

I'm sorry I inadvertently led you there. <3

RMS Oceanic on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    man, I need to hit the store tomorrow

I've got some stray bread and cheese and coffee and that's basically it

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2011

well in our defense, we can't really help it. we're so fat we have a pretty strong orbital attraction coefficient.

the pax event horizon ends somewhere around brockton

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    elldren: *hugs*

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    god this fat cat is loveable but needy

and I can barely see the screen past her

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2011
    Have a cheese and coffee sandwich!

RMS Oceanic on
    edited June 2011
    my gravity is diminishing pretty quickly. i've walked 22 miles in three days now. gonna be running in about 10 more lbs.

Organichu on
    edited June 2011
    She has been on my mind a lot lately.

Her best friend moved back here to go to law school a few weeks ago, so we've been talking about her a lot.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011
    Company pretending to be a charity.
    Yahoo! wrote:
    A man recently called selling stickers that said "NO JUNK MAIL". He said he was out of work and this was his money making idea.

He produced a pedlar's certificate allowing door to door sales. He claimed the sticker would slash junk through the door by 80%. I wasn't totally convinced but I admired his enterprise and paid £1.

The sticker is now by the front door. There are fewer pizza fliers but people collecting clothes and other items ostensibly for charity continue to batter my doormat with plastic bags and leaflets.

Some, like the bag from Barnardo's, would save me taking unwanted books, CDs and other items to their shop. I have no problem with this — or similar bags from British Heart Foundation or Age UK.

But over the past ten days, I have received three leaflets asking for items such as clothes, handbags, jewellery, perfumes and mobile telephones but refusing books and CDs.

One is headed: "Third World Clothing Collection — Please Help Those Who Really Need Your Support." followed by "Can you spare any of your old unwanted clothes which will be sent to the Third World where the garments will be carefully sorted and worn again."

Another said: "Your donations are sent to third world countries to help clothe the poor." And the third said: "If you can donate any for [sic] your old and unwanted clothes, you can help people in Third World Countries. Spared clothes will be carefully sorted and worn again."

Like many people, I probably have clothes I no longer wear. So why not give them to people in poorer countries? It would be an act of charity. And that is what I am supposed to think with words like "donate" and "help".

But these fliers do not come from a charity. Instead, they are sent out by Rutex Ltd, a commercial firm. There is a company rather than a charity registration number — few will notice this.

Rutex even makes its commercial activities sound charitable. It says: "Your donations are sent to the third world countries to help clothe the poor. Our company provides jobs in the sorting of clothes for distribution. It provides business for the the UK export and transport companies. It provides employment for the UK factories grading the clothes and people collecting the bags door to door."

Translated that means: You give us items for free. We sell them in street markets in poorer countries. We make a profit. We use an old van. We pay a few people to collect the bags (you have to provide your own) and sort the clothes into the sellable and what will go for rags.

Of course, if you throw out anything really good, it will be sold in a vintage clothing shop in the UK. And mobile phones, even models from three or four years ago, fetch good money abroad.

Rutex was incorporated on May 1, 2009 giving an address in east London. It had one director, Gintaras Ragauskas, a Lithuanian, now aged 43. Rutex never bothered with legal niceties such as filing annual returns or accounts to Companies House. The company was dissolved on December 14, 2010.

So a collection that would seem — and is designed to appear — charitable is from a company that no longer exists. Using the name and number of a dissolved company is a criminal offence.

Rutex has flouted the rules almost from its first day. A few months after it was set up, the Advertising Standards Authority upheld a complaint from a member of the public who "objected that the ad was misleading because it implied that Rutex was a charity".

Rutex did not reply to the ASA. The ASA said in September 2009:

The ASA was concerned by Rutex's lack of response and apparent disregard for the Code, which was a breach of CAP Code clause 2.6 (Non-response). We reminded them of their responsibility to respond promptly to our enquiries and told them to do so in future.

We noted the ad did not make clear that clothing collected was sold for profit and considered that the claim "Not everyone and especially young families can afford to buy new, often expensive clothes, shoes and household things. We would be grateful if you could kindydonate [sic]" misleadingly implied that Rutex was a charity.

The ASA ruled that the flier must not appear again in this form.

Rutex ignored the ASA and continues to this day to use circulars with the same or similar wording. It ignores company law. It ignores the law that says door to door collections require a local authority permit. It flouts everything.

What will it take to end this scam?

That's my quota of anger for the day. :x

RMS Oceanic on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    my gravity is diminishing pretty quickly. i've walked 22 miles in three days now. gonna be running in about 10 more lbs.

i need to get on this level

tyrannus on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so what's up doggs?

I saw you play that IRL

Will plays cool

but really he is the nerdiest of us all

Scorn and derision in [chat]...

then he logs off and greedily thumbs through his collection of out of print Naruto manga...

then the figure case comes out...

stevemarks44 on
    edited June 2011
    so what's up doggs?

I saw you play that IRL

Will plays cool

but really he is the nerdiest of us all

Scorn and derision in [chat]...

then he logs off and greedily thumbs through his collection of out of print Naruto manga...

then the figure case comes out...

I know a closet-case when I see one

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    chu what if your gravity is what's keeping us all together

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've found a park that might be nice to run around, but it's 2km away. So that's 4km of running in the city for every trip, which is kind of a lot.

The only option is substantially longer runs. So, it's ~1.8km around the park. So I'd need to do two laps to make it worthwhile. Hmmmm.

TIME TO FIND SOME TINY SHORTS AND AWFUL EUROPOP

Mojo_Jojo on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, pikelets for breakfast is the best

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so I'm watching Wire In The Blood and the second season intro seems like someone at BBC watched Seven and wanted that intro so hard they didn't care that they didn't have the budget for neat lettering and trent reznor.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited June 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »

me regaining visible abs is a lot more important to me than the continued life and liberty of 6.775 billion human beings

Organichu on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    it was in those days, the chu days, where gravity ran heavy and people could be open with their souls and minds for we were all together and could not think of a better place to be, except for chu who thought with madness in his heart that maybe friendship was over rated and selfish athleticism was the way to happiness

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited June 2011
    Tarranon wrote: »

me regaining visible abs is a lot more important to me than the continued life and liberty of 6.775 billion human beings

It's a noble goal, but visible abs is just a step too far into bullshit for me to ever bother.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited June 2011
    Zampanov wrote: »
    so I'm watching Wire In The Blood and the second season intro seems like someone at BBC watched Seven and wanted that intro so hard they didn't care that they didn't have the budget for neat lettering and trent reznor.

How is that show? Netflix has been recommending it to me.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't want visible abs, I want little to no stomach fat so I'm flat and pretty

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, that Facebook jury contempt case makes me wonder at the world a little.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited June 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    I don't want visible abs, I want little to no stomach fat so I'm flat and pretty

similar path to either.

Organichu on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wire in the Blood and Luther may be my next two TV endeavors.

Holy shit The Hustler is also available now yesss

stevemarks44 on
    edited June 2011
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Man, that Facebook jury contempt case makes me wonder at the world a little.

honestly it isn't anything new

the only novel thing is the means of contact

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011

yesterday i made an excellent post invoking the hustler about me shooting jacob in the face

you missed it :(

Organichu on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Luther is pretty good.

BobCesca on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I sat down to tune my best commander deck for an event tomorrow night and discovered not only had I already made the tune-ups I was thinking about, I must have been angry when I did so because the deck is aggressive as fuck.

All the Jackal Pups? All the Jackal Pups.
    All the Jackal Pups? All the Jackal Pups.

In commander?

More like

Image.ashx?multiverseid=220468&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=198304&type=cardImage.ashx?multiverseid=220528&type=card

trolololol

Glod, I miss MtG.

This looks to be as much fun as the Goblin Fanatic + Furnace of Rath combo.

Apothe0sis on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I like it. I don't know how much of that is it being actually interesting and how much is just the novelty of a slightly different culture the police procedural is taking place in. I also like the format approach BBC seems to take with them, or at least they have with this and Luther. They treat them more like miniseries than full seasons, which makes it more palatable to me.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited June 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »

Luther is pretty good.

yeah it was pretty good

totally subverted my expectations. it really took a strange turn after kind of pointing in a direction i thought it was gonna run in.

the hustler is a fuckin fantastic movie too.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2011

I like it. I don't know how much of that is it being actually interesting and how much is just the novelty of a slightly different culture the police procedural is taking place in. I also like the format approach BBC seems to take with them, or at least they have with this and Luther. They treat them more like miniseries than full seasons, which makes it more palatable to me.

how many episodes of luther have you watched?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2011
    I literally just watched the hustler the other day

it is a brilliant movie. absolutely fantastic.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2011
    so i started playing this game (oblivion) and i've logged way too many hours in the past few days. i quit LoL for exactly this reason. i might just delete my windows partition altogether. my addictive personality is starting to really get on my nerves. this is why i no longer drink at home. it sucks to feel like i'm powerless against my own urges, that i have to deny myself altogether instead of being an adult who can moderate his consumption.

Organichu on
This discussion has been closed.