As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chicken and asparagus [chat]

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    so I'm watching Wire In The Blood and the second season intro seems like someone at BBC watched Seven and wanted that intro so hard they didn't care that they didn't have the budget for neat lettering and trent reznor.

How is that show? Netflix has been recommending it to me.

I like it. I don't know how much of that is it being actually interesting and how much is just the novelty of a slightly different culture the police procedural is taking place in. I also like the format approach BBC seems to take with them, or at least they have with this and Luther. They treat them more like miniseries than full seasons, which makes it more palatable to me.

how many episodes of luther have you watched?

I finished the first season. It definitely didn't end up being the show I thought it was gonna be, but I kind of liked that about it.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    so i started playing this game (oblivion) and i've logged way too many hours in the past few days. i quit LoL for exactly this reason. i might just delete my windows partition altogether. my addictive personality is starting to really get on my nerves. this is why i no longer drink at home. it sucks to feel like i'm powerless against my own urges, that i have to deny myself altogether instead of being an adult who can moderate his consumption.

Yeah, I run into this when I'm out of work (which I think you said you are too, chu). I have deny myself a lot of things and set parameters. After a couple of weeks of mayhem (nothing serious or anything), I've put myself on a decent diet, I don't drink to excess on weekdays, I don't play too many games and I make myself exercise.

When I had/have a job the built in structure made a lot of these things non-issues. Boredom is my drug. It's why I know that I don't really have an -ism. I've been drinking too much the last month or so, but it's never a problem when I'm working.

I just get really bored and unfortunately the things around me are usually booze, food and videogames.

stevemarks44 on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2011
    so I'm watching Wire In The Blood and the second season intro seems like someone at BBC watched Seven and wanted that intro so hard they didn't care that they didn't have the budget for neat lettering and trent reznor.

I like it. I don't know how much of that is it being actually interesting and how much is just the novelty of a slightly different culture the police procedural is taking place in. I also like the format approach BBC seems to take with them, or at least they have with this and Luther. They treat them more like miniseries than full seasons, which makes it more palatable to me.

I finished the first season. It definitely didn't end up being the show I thought it was gonna be, but I kind of liked that about it.

yeah i did too

it was ballsy as hell

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

yeah i did too

it was ballsy as hell

also I might have a hetero mancrush on Idris Elba

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited June 2011
    Well maybe Luther will be next up for me. It is constantly being recommended by Netflix, and I've started revering Sports Night a little less. I think I overloaded.

stevemarks44 on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    How does MtG work through the different editions of cards? Like, how far back is the game compatible?

Could I throw together a deck that consists of no card less than twelve years old? Or would it be illegal as opposed to just probably sucking?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited June 2011
    I stopped playing Magic when I realized that the game quickly become who could buy the best cards.

stevemarks44 on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Man, that Facebook jury contempt case makes me wonder at the world a little.

honestly it isn't anything new

the only novel thing is the means of contact

Oh sure, contempt is nothing new but the ease of finding someone then making contact in an initially hard to monitor way is

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    edited June 2011
    Well maybe Luther will be next up for me. It is constantly being recommended by Netflix, and I've started revering Sports Night a little less. I think I overloaded.

I rewatched sports night recently too

God I hated it. Basically it was 90s studio 60 light and when I was a teenager I just must have not picked up at all on Jeremy being the worst person ever. He is the goddamn villain of that show.

I can rewatch Studio 60 all day, but I can't do Sports Night anymore. It has not aged well for me even a little.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited June 2011
    See, I wasn't a huge studio 60 fan. There were a few fundamental breakdowns in that show.

Really the main thing I've gathered is that Aaron Sorkin is jut aces all the time.

stevemarks44 on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    How does MtG work through the different editions of cards? Like, how far back is the game compatible?

Could I throw together a deck that consists of no card less than twelve years old? Or would it be illegal as opposed to just probably sucking?

There's a few different formats: Standard, which is the last two years' worth of cards, Extended, which is the last four years, and Legacy, which is every card ever including the really broken ones from Alpha. This isn't exactly right, but it's something like that. I stopped playing Magic when I realized it cost a stupid amount of money and took up way too much of my headspace.

Crimson King on
    edited June 2011
    And to be clear, Luther and Wire In The Blood are not super similar. They're both police shows, and they both have eccentric main characters, but the eccentricity is different and Wire is closer to your typical police procedural than Luther. Just as a heads-up.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011

It's a rolling thing. Each new set of cards gets a name and a number - I don't remember the specifics, but say the newest set is "Edition 12: Gypsy Sodomy Ninjas." A valid deck might be allowed to include cards from the last three (IIRC) so like 12, 11, and 10. When edition 13 comes out, you'll need to rejigger your deck to remove your cards from 10.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2011

Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge?

Is that, like, just two titles, or is the guy's last name Judge, and he's a Lord, and also Lord Chief Justice?

Because, if the latter is the case, holy shit that guy's awesome and I want to go to England and commit a crime so I can be brought before Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge.

Tox on
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It would be legal in a certain set of formats, which determine which cards can be played.

In order of newest cards only to oldest/everything: Block Constructed, Standard, Extended, Legacy/Classic.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited June 2011

It's a rolling thing. Each new set of cards gets a name and a number - I don't remember the specifics, but say the newest set is "Edition 12: Gypsy Sodomy Ninjas." A valid deck might be allowed to include cards from the last three (IIRC) so like 12, 11, and 10. When edition 13 comes out, you'll need to rejigger your deck to remove your cards from 10.

That's pretty cool, then. It's sort of a revolving format, constantly being expanded and scaled back at the same time.

They probably don't have as many Grognards in MtG, as opposed to D&D, I'd wager.

Tox on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Netflix dudes, you all should watch Cheers. It's fantastic and has really held up spectacularly well. It even still looks pretty nice.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited June 2011
    See, I wasn't a huge studio 60 fan. There were a few fundamental breakdowns in that show.

Really the main thing I've gathered is that Aaron Sorkin is jut aces all the time.

Although, one thing about Sports Night that is still awesome for me is Isaac. Robert Guillaume is the best.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited June 2011

Is that, like, just two titles, or is the guy's last name Judge, and he's a Lord, and also Lord Chief Justice?

Because, if the latter is the case, holy shit that guy's awesome and I want to go to England and commit a crime so I can be brought before Lord Chief Justice, Lord Judge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Judge,_Baron_Judge

Crimson King on
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

If I remember correctly, it's the latter.

BobCesca on
    edited June 2011
    Arivia wrote: »

It would be legal in a certain set of formats, which determine which cards can be played.

In order of newest cards only to oldest/everything: Block Constructed, Standard, Extended, Legacy/Classic.

Arivia!

Hey Arivia!

*stares at sig for 10 minutes* sync up! please sync up? deargodwhywonttheysyncup?

Tox on
    edited June 2011

this is incorrect; standard rotations are the last two blocks of sets (generally three per block, only names) and the last core set, which gets a number.

depending upon how wizards feels like rotating standard, you may end up with three blocks or two core sets available for a very short period of time

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't wanna troll the xmen thread, so I'll just say it here:

'First Class' was not good.

FroThulhu on
    edited June 2011
    FroThulhu wrote: »

from what I've heard so far it sounds like it's okay to not like it, but I'll probably like it anyway

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited June 2011

That's pretty cool, then. It's sort of a revolving format, constantly being expanded and scaled back at the same time.

They probably don't have as many Grognards in MtG, as opposed to D&D, I'd wager.

Surprisingly, they do happen. Mostly people who can't distinguish between casual play and constructed.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited June 2011

Expressing an opinion on the X-Men movie in the X-Men movie thread is not really 'trolling'.

(yes it was)

Crimson King on
    edited June 2011

The Right Honourable Lord Chief Justice Baron Lord Igor Judge.

Man...the bar has been set, Sir Doctor Stephen T. Colbert, DFA.

Tox on
    edited June 2011

magneto was stellar, though

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I stopped playing Magic when I realized that the game quickly become who could buy the best cards.

everyone buys the best cards

then opens them

then picks one and passes the rest to the left

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited June 2011

My favourite part is that's he's clearly a friendly grandpa.

Crimson King on
    edited June 2011

it's like naming your kid crystal chandelier

you have predetermined their career path

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    edited June 2011

Surprisingly, they do happen. Mostly people who can't distinguish between casual play and constructed.

I don't see it a surprise. Grognards are a thing. They happen, it's just how it is. Anytime anything is ever changed even a little it will inevitably be RUINED FOREVER! (not linking to tvtropes).

See also: modern day GOP and the 17th Amendment.

Tox on
    edited June 2011
    Elldren wrote: »

everyone buys the best cards

then opens them

then picks one and passes the rest to the left

for ten dollars a game

all i'm saying, if chess cost ten dollars a game, who would play chess

Crimson King on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chu, I find that a 1:1 ratio of exercise:gaming keeps you from feeling like a obsessive nerd / fatty fat fat fatty. If you play an hour of gaming, make yourself exercise for an hour that same day.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

You can have block decks of old blocks though.

all of the other formats there are horrible

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Netflix dudes, you all should watch Cheers. It's fantastic and has really held up spectacularly well. It even still looks pretty nice.

Hey, I remember that show. Wish we could get Netflix in Australia... :(

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Chu, I find that a 1:1 ratio of exercise:gaming keeps you from feeling like a obsessive nerd / fatty fat fat fatty. If you play an hour of gaming, make yourself exercise for an hour that same day.

what if i play for 14 hours :(

Organichu on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Grognard refers to somebody who is super into simulationist wargames. I see it bandied about when people talk about old editions of D&D, as some kind of joke about how "edition X " was too complicated. I think you mean powergamer or munchkin?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, servers hiccuping. :?

RMS Oceanic on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess the 1:1 ratio is a bit extreme. But my body requires lots of exercise to keep it in the shape it's in. Perhaps a less demanding but still healthy ratio of exercising:gaming could be 1:2 or 1:3.

edit: 14 hours? I mean at that point you can do the Gabe thing and install a computer over your treadmill...

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.