As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: This thread is dead! Go use the new one! :D

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Also, I'll be streaming Take on Me and Tubthumping near when they go up on Tuesday morning. Since it's always late if I stay up, I'm just going to be waking up at like 6 or 7am and streaming them then.

So if anybody is buying those and wants to join me, feel free to do so Tuesday morning.

FyreWulff on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Too early in the morning for drumming, unfortunately.

DarkPrimus on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Also, I'll be streaming Take on Me and Tubthumping near when they go up on Tuesday morning. Since it's always late if I stay up, I'm just going to be waking up at like 6 or 7am and streaming them then.

So if anybody is buying those and wants to join me, feel free to do so Tuesday morning.

Out of curiosity what time do they usually go up? I'm usually up until 3-4am central time.

HappylilElf on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I'd be up for that, if the bass tracks aren't too difficult. That's 6 or 7 what time zone?

Aistan on
  • sarlaac foodsarlaac food Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Out of curiosity what time do they usually go up? I'm usually up until 3-4am central time.
    5am Eastern, I think

sarlaac food on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Roughly, but things can be delayed.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So we have an update on the Squier thing:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Hey gang. Thanks to everyone for your patience while all the Community / PR folks were out in LA for E3. We're all back in the office now so we'll be able to devote a lot more attention to discussions on the forums.

As HMXcj mentioned in an earlier post, this is the first we've heard of any plans to discontinue the Squier. We've reached out to Fender (who is handling all the production and distribution of this hardware) for more info and we'll follow up here as soon as we get the full scoop from them.

Initial responses from our contacts at Fender indicate that the Squier has not been discontinued at this time, so there may be some confusion at the retail level. There are still Squiers in the retail channel and MadCatz is still producing Mustangs, so there is still plenty of support for Pro Guitar and Pro mode as a whole. We don't have any plans to discontinue support for Pro Guitar DLC, and there are still charts being authored months out for upcoming releases.

Since there hasn't been any official announcement regarding the status of the Squier, we're looking for any and all details regarding where this info is coming from. It appears to to be coming from the retail side, so if anyone has been told that the Squier is being discontinued please PM me the name of the retailer, the location, the name of the agent you spoke with, the date, etc. Any info would be helpful to forward along to Fender so we can get some clarity as soon as possible.

Thanks again to everyone for sitting tight while we wrapped E3. We'll post more info as soon as we have it.

So the initial news is that the guitars are not discontinued. However, we don't have the final word on this and the few people who started the thread received e-mails directly from Fender stating they'd been discontinued. Hopefully this shit gets wrapped up soon one way or the other.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So we have an update on the Squier thing:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    Hey gang. Thanks to everyone for your patience while all the Community / PR folks were out in LA for E3. We're all back in the office now so we'll be able to devote a lot more attention to discussions on the forums.

As HMXcj mentioned in an earlier post, this is the first we've heard of any plans to discontinue the Squier. We've reached out to Fender (who is handling all the production and distribution of this hardware) for more info and we'll follow up here as soon as we get the full scoop from them.

Initial responses from our contacts at Fender indicate that the Squier has not been discontinued at this time, so there may be some confusion at the retail level. There are still Squiers in the retail channel and MadCatz is still producing Mustangs, so there is still plenty of support for Pro Guitar and Pro mode as a whole. We don't have any plans to discontinue support for Pro Guitar DLC, and there are still charts being authored months out for upcoming releases.

Since there hasn't been any official announcement regarding the status of the Squier, we're looking for any and all details regarding where this info is coming from. It appears to to be coming from the retail side, so if anyone has been told that the Squier is being discontinued please PM me the name of the retailer, the location, the name of the agent you spoke with, the date, etc. Any info would be helpful to forward along to Fender so we can get some clarity as soon as possible.

Thanks again to everyone for sitting tight while we wrapped E3. We'll post more info as soon as we have it.

So the initial news is that the guitars are not discontinued. However, we don't have the final word on this and the few people who started the thread received e-mails directly from Fender stating they'd been discontinued. Hopefully this shit gets wrapped up soon one way or the other.

Here's my theory -- based on nothing but my own cynicism and personal life experience:

Some Fender salesperson told some of the distributors and retailers he deals with that the RB3 Squier Strat was being discontinued. I see it as one of these two possible scenarios:

1- The RB3 Squiers are not selling well enough, so the salesperson is saying something like "Hey, man, this is the cheapest genuine MIDI guitar you can get, and it's about to be discontinued, so you gotta buy 'em now, or it'll be too late."

2- The RB3 Squiers are hurting sales of other models, in particular, MIDI-enabled guitars, so the salesperson is saying "Hey, man, [commenter's note: I always picture sleazy salespeople like that...] these Squiers are priced low for a reason. For a couple hundred dollars more, you can get real MIDI guitars that your customers will like better. I mean, we've discontinued these lemons because we don't want them to tarnish the brand."

Either that, or Fender Marketing started this rumor themselves, hoping that people who were still hesitating would finally bite the bullet and buy a Squier before it's too late -- when in actuality, they're hoping for a surge in sales before they announce that production has started again -- or perhaps that a new model is being released.

A less cynical view would be that Fender has just suspended production on the Squiers, waiting to see how well the current stock sells, and then they'll start production again when needed. They must have heard about how the makers of plastic instruments ended up with overstocks. Hell, my local musical instrument store is offering (on its website, no idea if it's still in stock) the Limited Edition Beatles Rock Band bundle (the one with the Hoffner bass, the mic stand, and the Ringo Drumkit) for 60$CA. At that price, I'm tempted to pick it up, even though I already own one set (for which I paid something like 260$CA.)

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
    edited June 2011
    I have a much simpler guess: Customer service people "inventing" facts to get people off the phone.

Because speaking as someone who has worked in customer service in the past?

We do that.

HappylilElf on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    about to stream tubthumping and take on me! they finally went up on my end.

edit:

holy 3 note chords in Take On Me batman

FyreWulff on
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    I'd be annoyed it's a 360 sale but I already have all of those packs except one and I have zero interest in picking that last one up :P

HappylilElf on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm on 360 and am probably more annoyed than you because I already have all of them

MrDelish on
  • shutzshutz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a much simpler guess: Customer service people "inventing" facts to get people off the phone.

Because speaking as someone who has worked in customer service in the past?

We do that.

I've worked in customer service (billing and tech support over phone, livechat and email) and I can honestly say I've never fabricated facts like this. I might have massaged the truth a little to prevent the company from looking bad, and I might have denied certain possible solutions to avoid lengthy (and unsupported) procedures, but I never "invented" facts. However, I know that some of my colleagues did, occasionally. I just didn't need to, because I knew my shit.

So, you may be right, but I think it would have taken more than a couple CS Reps lying about it for this to become the story it's become.

shutz on
    Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The country packs are also on sale on the PSN.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's probably still cheaper to buy the track pack disc (or just the code) than buy the 4 packs.
    I'm pretty sure I got it for just 7 or 8 bucks online.

SaraLuna on
    edited June 2011
    Some people may want to pay a little extra for the convenience of not having to find one somewhere.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Squier 'update'.
    hmxhenry wrote:
    This is what HMXHenry said in a twitter Q&A today:
    No official word from Fender yet, we're still following up with them for more info.

Not being able to get an official word from Fender after more than two business days does not look good to me. Harmonix, I think you need to treat this more seriously than you have been.

There shouldn't be any doubt that we're taking this seriously. We've had regular contact with Fender since returning back from E3 and we've passed along feedback provided by posters on the forums and in PM. They're reaching out to retailers, customer support reps, production reps and business reps and unfortunately that takes a bit of time (longer than I'd like, that's for sure). As soon as we've heard back from all the parties involved we'll make a follow up post. Thanks again for your patience.

EDIT:
    Added what he was replying to. Just for flavour.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    hmxhenry went on some kind of Twitter binge after E3 and answered a bunch of questions. He then drops this bit of information on the Forums, though we pretty much already knew this stuff.
    hmxhenry wrote:
    While this is definitely true, there are a lot of reasons beyond the financial why a band may not be in RB (yet). We've pointed these out before, but here's a quick run down of additional reasons why [INSERT BAND YOU LOVE HERE] may not be in RB / doesn't have more songs in RB:

- Usable masters don't exist
    - Usable masters exist but no one knows where they are or how they are sorted
    - Usable masters exist but bands / labels / management won't give us access
    - Masters / licenses are owned by multiple parties who can't agree on use
    - No one knows who actually owns the rights to music we request (frightening, but it happens)
    - Some artists simply aren't interested in being in a music game (for now)
    - Some artists aren't comfortable with digital distribution
    - Some artists deny our track requests and instead offer... less than exciting material
    - Some artists / labels hold off for future events (releases, tours, announcements, etc)
    - Some artists aren't interested in DLC, only a fully dedicated band game

We've been working with bands and labels longer than just about everyone in music gaming, so we've built some pretty good relationships that allow us to revisit conversations. If a band wasn't able to get involved 3 years ago at the RB1 launch the conversation didn't end there, and it's likely we've been in touch with them consistently to find the right timing, the right content, the right agreement that works for them, for us and for all of you playing the game. Rest assured, we're aware of all the big names, we've talked to them at one point or another, and we'll continue to do everything we can to add as many bands as possible to the already enormous RB library.

Which is to say that of course HMX isn't actually trying to get more Muse into the game. Why the hell would they do that?

Suffice it to say, some still aren't satisfied.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's fine. There's already an enormous amount of songs on Rock Band.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's fine. There's already an enormous amount of songs on Rock Band.

This is just way too much logic, practicality and intelligence for someone who is still deeply invested in rhythm games at this point. I mean at this point, all the sane and rational people have presumably boiled off and all we are left with are the hardcore and irrational fans, right?

quovadis13 on
    edited June 2011
    Looks like some* of tomorrow's announcement as slipped out early.

Maroon 5 3-pack as DLC on 6/21

Just posted on Maroon 5's Facebook page

(link: http://www.facebook.com/notes/maroon...50285782488783 )

Beginning June 21, Rock Band 3 will offer a 3 pack of hits from Maroon 5 celebrating the Grammy award winning band’s recent worldwide tour and career to date. Songs in the Maroon 5 Pack 02 span the bands history with “This Love” from their debut album "Songs About Jane," “Won’t Go home Without You” from "It Won’t Be Soon Before Long" and mega hit “Misery” from 2010’s current release "Hands All Over." The Maroon 5 Pack 02 can be purchased on the Rock Band platform in the Rock Band 3 Music Store of downloadable content for the Xbox 360®, PlayStation®3 and Wii™ consoles.

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (June 21)

o “Misery”
    o “This Love” (Pro Guitar/Bass upgrade available for an additional $0.99)
    o “Won’t Go Home Without You”

*If there isn't more, then 'all'.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ew, pass. Not into Maroon 5 at all. Cool there is more 'pop' rock I suppose, should sell well for them.

Hope there's something else, we've just had the Download festival. Looking at the headliners, (and given that we've just had A7X stuff) anything from System would be nice, but I'd like to see more Def Leppard, some The Darkness would be awesome, or even some Skunk Anansie (one of my favourite live bands).

Surprised we don't see festival packs more often.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw this love had a pro guitar part and got excited. Then I realized it's not the "this love" I thought it was. That is not pantera

Tommatt on
    edited June 2011
    Haha you and me both dude! :^:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sigh, another week with absolutely nothing of interest for me.
    Hey gang,

Next week's DLC adds two more 3 packs to the perpetually growing Rock Band library. One pack features the return of Maroon 5, and the other introduces Puddle of Mudd to the RB set list, with one Pro Guitar upgrade per artist. Enjoy!

Available on Xbox 360, Wii and PlayStation®3 system (June 21):

· Maroon 5 – “Misery”
    · Maroon 5 – “This Love” X
    · Maroon 5 – “Won’t Go Home Without You”
    · Puddle of Mudd – “Blurry”
    · Puddle of Mudd – “Control”
    · Puddle of Mudd – “She Hates Me” X

(These tracks will be available in Europe on PlayStation®3 system June 22)

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Maroon 5 Pack 02”, “Puddle of Mudd Pack 01” and as individual tracks on Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system and Wii. Tracks marked with “X” will include Pro Guitar and Pro Bass expansions for $0.99 per song.

Price:

$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per song
    $2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per song
    $0.99 USD (100 Wii Points/80 Microsoft Points), £0.59 UK, €0.79 EU per song for eligible Pro Guitar/Pro Bass upgrade
    $5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points) for Puddle of Mudd Pack 01
    $5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points, 550 Wii Points) for Maroon Five Pack 02

** Dates for Rock Band game tracks are tentative and subject to change. **

To discuss this DLC please visit the official discussion thread in the Rock Band forum.

For all DLC song credits, including album and genre info as well as difficulty ratings, you can check out the Songs page.

And for awesome background information on this content, including recording details, album of origin, and release details you can head on over to the Rock Band 'Zine for brand new articles!

Rock Band Network releases will be listed below shortly. Check back soon!

Last edited by hmxhenry; Today at 12:52 AM.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, Puddle of Mudd are kinda annoying. Like, 'Blurry' and 'She Hates Me' are both OK songs but that band is just kinda... meh.

We need summa that Acca Dacca Pro-ized man.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder when/if we'll get the rest of the tracks from Country Pack 2. I've been waiting for a few of the tracks to be available individually. This week is sort of meh for me - although I think the wife liked that Blurry song if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited June 2011
    Hmm, Puddle of Mudd are kinda annoying. Like, 'Blurry' and 'She Hates Me' are both OK songs but that band is just kinda... meh.

And the only way that happens is if the re-released the whole pack with Pro built-in. You know this.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Anyway, RBN on 360 releases for this week:
    hmxhenry wrote:
    This week saw the addition of 26 new Rock Band Network tracks on the Xbox 360, including 6 songs with 2x Bass support for drums! Lot's of awesome stuff, including an impressive chunk of tracks from Amberian Dawn.

Alternative

Blessthefall - What's Left Of Me (160 MSP)
    The Cold Goodnight - Hurricane (80 MSP)
    SHIROCK - New Solution (160 MSP)

Metal

Amberian Dawn - Come Now Follow (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Come Now Follow (2x Bass Pedal) (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Field of Serpents (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Field of Serpents (2x Bass Pedal) (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Sampo (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Sampo (2x Bass Pedal) (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Talisman (160 MSP)
    Amberian Dawn - Talisman (2x Bass Pedal) (160 MSP)
    Blackguard - A Blinding Light (160 MSP)
    Blackguard - A Blinding Light (2x Bass Pedal) (160 MSP)
    Ill Niño - Against The Wall (160 MSP)
    Indestructible Noise Command - Rain (2x Bass Pedal) (160 MSP)
    Otep - Fists Fall (160 MSP)
    Where The Ocean Meets The Sky - The Mettle of a Man (160 MSP)

Pop-Rock

Hella Donna - Good Things (160 MSP)
    Leet Street Boys - Expert Mode (80 MSP)

Punk

Ultra Saturday - Zombies!! (Coming Out Tonight) (80 MSP)

Rock

Don Tetto - Adicto al Dolor (Lágrimas) (160 MSP)
    Don Tetto - Fallido Intento (160 MSP)
    Grynd Rodd Muse - Blood & Scars (160 MSP)
    Hip Kitty - Stuck in a Rut (160 MSP)
    Possible Oscar - Dead Again (160 MSP)
    Reform the Resistance - Tonight We Ride (160 MSP)

Nothing listed for PSN, yet.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Looks like this is RBN on PSN next week:
    According to the blog it's:

Andromeda - "Veil of Illumination (Part 1)" (Prog) - $1.99
    Andromeda - "Veil of Illumination (Part 2)" (Prog) - $1.99
    Andromeda - "Chameleon Carnaval" (Prog) - $1.99
    Jukebox the Ghost - "Half Crazy" (Pop-Rock) - $1.99
    TesseracT - "Deception - Concealing Fate Part Two" - $1.99 (Prog)

Which definitely is a lot more my cup of tea than this week's main DLC offerings. Modern mainstream and I don't get along well.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011
    Not listened to them for years, but I remember Ill Niño being pretty cool.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Hmm very least picking up She Hates Me and probably at least one of the other Puddle of Mud songs

Also I'm absolutely piclking up This Love

And I will stab anyone who looks at me funny for picking up This Love.

You have been warned

HappylilElf on
    edited June 2011

And the only way that happens is if the re-released the whole pack with Pro built-in. You know this.

I'd totally buy it <3

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited June 2011

I'd totally buy it <3

I probably wouldn't. Not unless they add trill lanes to those bullshit trills all over the goddamned place. Angus knows his shit, but fuck that noise in the ear. It really wears me down after a while.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Puddle of Mudd - Blurry

Fuuuck my inner Ace Combat fanboy is begging me to buy that now.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited June 2011
    Chopper dies!

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2011

I'd totally buy it <3

I probably wouldn't. Not unless they add trill lanes to those bullshit trills all over the goddamned place. Angus knows his shit, but fuck that noise in the ear. It really wears me down after a while.

It'd prolly get trill lanes. Would need them! But I'm a fucking mahoosive AC/DC fan so there is that.

Like, I could listen to them all fucking day.

Would be a job to stay sober though.

Speaking of which; we need more Airbourne, man.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chopper dies!

FACES OF THE COIN FACES OF THE COIN FACES OF THE COIN

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited June 2011
    I like 'em, too. But at this point, I'd rather they use the all-pack-no-singles thing to bring their studio work. Their live stuff is great to listen to, but I dread playing much of what we've got. I'd settle for Who Made Who if it came to it.

Santa Claustrophobia on