As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines] Sequel incoming! (Q1 2020)

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2011
    Presence doesn't help in social situations, unless that's something that they added in the (awful) fan patch (that you should be ashamed for installing)

Tube on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, and vampires lie. All of them. All the time.
    Except Beckett. He's a pretty stand-up guy.

WotanAnubis on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, and vampires lie. All of them. All the time.
    Except Beckett. He's a pretty stand-up guy.

Lie by omission.

Sir Carcass on
  • dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah. Beckett's cool with you because you don't have anything he wants.
    The Prince doesn't get the same treatment, because the Prince is an ass.

And I guess you could say that the Sheriff doesn't lie, but he never talks.

Presence doesn't help in social situations, unless that's something that they added in the (awful) fan patch (that you should be ashamed for installing)

You're right about Presence. I'm confusing it with the tabletop version, because I never play Brujah or Toreador. Why would I want to, when I can be a Malkavian or a Tremere or a Gangrel?

dj.subversive on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah in tabletop V:TM, Presence has lots of uses that have nothing to do with combat. In the game, it does just seem to be another combat buff, which means I really have no reason not to just smash everyone into pulp always.

Still, I think it may hinder the completion of certain quests... like I never found out where Mercurio's money was. I assumed that was something I would have found out from the stains all over the beach house if they could still speak. Then again, my Brujah ain't too good at computers either, so perhaps that would have been the way.

Toxic Pickle on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For anyone having issues with trying to get it to support widescreen resolutions, I found this handy resolution patcher to do just that. Warning: it allows you to manually choose your resolution, so BE SURE you type in a proper resuolution supported by your video hardware, or there could be problems. Following is the link: http://www.fileplanet.com/156598/download/Vampire-The-Masquerade:-Bloodlines---Resolution-Patcher

Dourin on
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    His money is in an air duct inside the laundry room. No one mentions where it is, you just have to have explored every nook and cranny in order to have found it.

Aistan on
    edited June 2011
    That's one of those things that I can't even remember how I found it. I've played this game so many times now that vast swathes of it are just autopilot.

Tube on
    edited June 2011
    That's one of those things that I can't even remember how I found it. I've played this game so many times now that vast swathes of it are just autopilot.

yeah... I sped through the Santa Monica Clinic (not that anything in there is difficult) because I remembered all the computer passwords (except the one for the doctor's computer, but that one is helpfully given in the email conversation between F-Dog and his buddy, in between the "your mom" jokes), even if they weren't always the right ones at first. Just kept going through the passwords until I got the right one for the right computer.

And poor Heather. I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help it. :D

Also, Ocean House stuff, nothing too spoilery, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't gone through it yet.
    the porch light that breaks, right before you go in, gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. I remember pretty much everything else about the house, and can basically run right through, but I always forget about the porch light and I jump in my chair.

dj.subversive on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aistan wrote: »
    His money is in an air duct inside the laundry room. No one mentions where it is, you just have to have explored every nook and cranny in order to have found it.

Yeah, I found it on my second playthrough, it's easily missed.

Is there a basic OWOD/NWOD thread in Penny-Arcade?

Edit: The wiki mentioned earlier, is that the one that is filled with horrible dickgirl vampires?

never die on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    never die on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

yeah... I sped through the Santa Monica Clinic (not that anything in there is difficult) because I remembered all the computer passwords (except the one for the doctor's computer, but that one is helpfully given in the email conversation between F-Dog and his buddy, in between the "your mom" jokes), even if they weren't always the right ones at first. Just kept going through the passwords until I got the right one for the right computer.

And poor Heather. I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help it. :D

Also, Ocean House stuff, nothing too spoilery, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't gone through it yet.
    the porch light that breaks, right before you go in, gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. I remember pretty much everything else about the house, and can basically run right through, but I always forget about the porch light and I jump in my chair.

Yeah certainly, that's one thing I figured out... I could probably just look up what those passwords are supposed to be but again... I figure if I don't hit everything on the first run, I'll have more incentive for later.

And yeah, Heather. I didn't even know what I was doing, or if I was supposed to be aware of her before I just stumbled into her hospital room. She just looked all pathetic and I was all, "Dude, have some of this."

I didn't spill the secret though. Seemed kinda the point of the whole Masquerade thing, I dunno.

Toxic Pickle on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The only way to play Bloodlines "wrong" is not to play it.

Not putting points into combat. That'll do it for sure.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

not for the first part of the game.

its a shame that the later parts of the game combat is pretty much mandatory, because for large parts of Santa Monica hub, you can avoid it entirely.

Dhalphir on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm planting the astrolite now and keep dying because I can't persuade these bastards not to shoot at me. What's it called.... Dom1... the mez +Feed is treating me well, but Tremere isn't my favorite so far. I guess I should boost my Thaum before I frown at it too much, but I regret taking the Infernal background for sure. Dom and Ausp seem like they'd be handy if I hadn't nerfed them some ;/

Is there a way to cheat and remove the character creation choice? I haven't even really invested in Thaum yet anyhow, so it's not like I've stolen anything.

fadingathedges on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You mean the dots you put in at character creation? "Vstats sell 'stat/discipline'" in the console, then use the xp that gives you to buy an equivalent level somewhere else.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited June 2011
    I just run like hell after planting the astrolite. I've never found a way out of there unnoticed.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Planting the Astrolite alerts all enemies to you. Just run like hell. No need to stealth at all.

Wolfprint on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    i'm planning a run where I restart if I gain a single point against my masquerade rating.

however, rather than just attempt to sit at 0, i'm going to rack my masquerade rating up to 4 and then sit at that for the whole game.

my theory is that it will make it a lot more difficult to move about on the surface due to all the vampire hunters that constantly chase you when you're at 3-4 masquerade points

Dhalphir on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wolfprint wrote: »
    Planting the Astrolite alerts all enemies to you. Just run like hell. No need to stealth at all.

Why not just kill them all? If you talk your way in you can take out the worst 3 or 4 one by one without alerting the rest.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Wolfprint wrote: »

Why not just kill them all? If you talk your way in you can take out the worst 3 or 4 one by one without alerting the rest.
    You can talk your way into the warehouse?

WotanAnubis on
    edited June 2011
    er, nevermind. I was confusing retrieving the astrolite from the beach with planting it at the warehouse.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »

its a shame that the later parts of the game combat is pretty much mandatory, because for large parts of Santa Monica hub, you can avoid it entirely.

You get put into at least two mandatory combat situations in Santa Monica. Anyone who doesn't realise really early on that Bloodlines was going to require you to fight a lot only has themselves to blame.

Tube on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just played through this for the first time a month or so back. It was ok.. i guess...

NickTheNewbie on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

You get put into at least two mandatory combat situations in Santa Monica. Anyone who doesn't realise really early on that Bloodlines was going to require you to fight a lot only has themselves to blame.

Ugh, whenever I see people talking about combat in this game, I think of the sewers/missile silo.

That bit was terrible, I'm glad I skipped it the second time. Even as a melee powerhouse Gangrel, that place was a bitch.

Carnarvon on
    edited June 2011
    er, nevermind. I was confusing retrieving the astrolite from the beach with planting it at the warehouse.

You can talk to people at the beach house? I thought they fired on sight.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011

Nope, the guy outside by the gate won't attack unless you try to force your way past. You can convince him you're there to buy or that you're there for sexy time if you're female.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2011
    You mean the dots you put in at character creation? "Vstats sell 'stat/discipline'" in the console, then use the xp that gives you to buy an equivalent level somewhere else.

No, I mean how do I remove the "Infernal" Background I took at creation.

fadingathedges on
    edited June 2011
    Don't bother. Get blood magic. Tremere is all about blood magic.

Tube on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

No, I mean how do I remove the "Infernal" Background I took at creation.

Uhhh, not positive. You might use the vclan command to change your character to another clan, which resets your stats, then change it back. Then console in all the dots and xp you had. That might reset your history.

Nope, the guy outside by the gate won't attack unless you try to force your way past. You can convince him you're there to buy or that you're there for sexy time if you're female.

You can sort of flirt your way past as a male, too. Baseball bat boy's response is "Ugh. Dude. Just go in."

WhiteZinfandel on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dominate and Auspex aren't useless for a Tremere, but Thaum is just plain broken.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    I'm a bit confused on how thaumaturgy works. Does each successive level replace the previous spell with the new one, or does it add a spell at each level while still allowing you to use the previous ones?

Dhalphir on
    edited June 2011
    You can still use them all.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2011
    I'm a bit confused on how thaumaturgy works. Does each successive level replace the previous spell with the new one, or does it add a spell at each level while still allowing you to use the previous ones?

Some of the Disciplines get more powerful with each rank you have (Auspex, Obfuscate, Celerity, Potence), and some give you different powers with each rank (Dementation, Thaum, Dominate, Presence). If you're using a mod that changes disciplines, you might have to hotkey some of the new powers - hit "k" to bring up a menu where you can choose what's assigned to the number keys. You can even set melee/ranged weapons and blood packs. The hotkey thing is never really mentioned anywhere, though.

dj.subversive on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I did not know at all about the hotkey.

The only thing stopping me playing Tremere so far has been not knowing how Thaum worked

a) if it replaced the powers, that didnt seem that much ufn
    and b) if it didnt replace them, scrolling through that many powers with my mousewheel didnt seem like fun either

Dhalphir on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gosh diddly darn it that's what the key was.

I forgot it a playthrough or two ago.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah I did not know at all about the hotkey.

The only thing stopping me playing Tremere so far has been not knowing how Thaum worked

a) if it replaced the powers, that didnt seem that much ufn
    and b) if it didnt replace them, scrolling through that many powers with my mousewheel didnt seem like fun either

Just hotkeying powers works. Since for other classes it's more beneficial to hotkey various weapons/items, just hotkey Thaum powers. Plus, Blood Purge is probably the best power in the game, next to Celerity.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited June 2011
    I'm Tremere, and I killed a guard on the ship. Did this screw me out of the downtown haven, and/or can I get a room at Strauss' Elysium somehow?

fadingathedges on
    edited June 2011
    If you're Tremere the Prince won't offer you the apartment. You get the room at Strauss' place so long as you don't betray him to Issac or otherwise piss him off.

Rami on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.