As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Primary 2012: Romney Wins Debate By Saying Nothing, Having Nice Hair

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Seriously, I didn't expect Gingrich to be the one to out-crazy Cain, Paul, Santorum and Bachmann, but I'll be damned if his one-two punch of "If we'd privatized NASA in the '60s we'd have a moon base and multiple space stations by now" and "We must purge the Imperium of the heretic Muslimocommunazis since their loyalty oaths are nothing but lies" didn't do just that.

Lawndart on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Since I refuse to watch these things on the grounds that they are simultaneously boring and homicidal rage inducing, I watch them through your people's posts here.

And let me tell you, this debate sounded like cthulu-esque madness. If I didn't already know it was a debate, I wouldn't know wtf was going on.

shryke on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    Since I refuse to watch these things on the grounds that they are simultaneously boring and homicidal rage inducing, I watch them through your people's posts here.

And let me tell you, this debate sounded like cthulu-esque madness. If I didn't already know it was a debate, I wouldn't know wtf was going on.

I don't watch them either, but that lineup on that network was guaranteed to deliver at least comedy silver. I watched for the laughs, because it's impossible to take any of them seriously, and I wasn't let down in that regard.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Doctor Who spoiler:
    This episode redeems the pirate episode though!

Quid on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PantsB wrote: »
    Paul on CNN just said he is running on the foreign policy of George W Bush in 2000.

The one that deemphasized counterterrorism and allowed 9/11 to happen. Also George W Bush.

I'm no fan of George W., but come on.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    Paul on CNN just said he is running on the foreign policy of George W Bush in 2000.

The one that deemphasized counterterrorism and allowed 9/11 to happen. Also George W Bush.

It's not that absurd a statement. With a serious emphasis on counterterrorism from January 21, 2001? Certainly possible. Hell, with decent intelligence sharing between CIA and FBI, it's stopped. We had all the pieces, just didn't act in time.

Instead it was ignored.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited June 2011
    devCharles wrote: »

It's not that absurd a statement. With a serious emphasis on counterterrorism from January 21, 2001? Certainly possible. Hell, with decent intelligence sharing between CIA and FBI, it's stopped. We had all the pieces, just didn't act in time.

Instead it was ignored.

I grant that if counterterrorism had been emphasized in the early Bush administration, or they had revamped the communication sharing process between the CIA and FBI it might have been caught, but that's essentially a hindsight 20/20 remark. To say the Bush administration allowed September 11th to happen is just over the top.

devCharles on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is there a way I can re-watch the debate online? I was sleeping when it happened and I don't have cable.

Curly_Brace on
    edited June 2011
    There was plenty of foresight. It was called the Clinton administration.

Also "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US." It was an utter failure.

I suppose it's how you define the terms. Did they know that 9/11 was going to happen as it did and let it happen because they needed a Pearl Harbor moment as an excuse restructure the Middle East? No.

Did they know that terrorism generally and bin Laden in particular was a clear and present danger to the United States and do precisely jack with absolutely no urgency about it? Yes.

Sad thing, that's about the fourth worst Bush Administration scandal.

enlightenedbum on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait. I've got it!

Republicans want to repeal the 17th Amendment because they think there's a limit on how many Amendments the Constitution can have at any one time, and that's the reason the No-Gay Amendment keeps failing. So they have to cut another one, first, and they didn't think anybody would care about the 17th.

Yeah, that has to be it.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited June 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    Wait. I've got it!

Republicans want to repeal the 17th Amendment because they think there's a limit on how many Amendments the Constitution can have at any one time, and that's the reason the No-Gay Amendment keeps failing. So they have to cut another one, first, and they didn't think anybody would care about the 17th.

Yeah, that has to be it.

Honestly, I suspect they'd prefer the repeal of at least half of the post-Civil War amendments. A frightening number of them have to deal with expanding voting rights, and we know how that goes with them.

enlightenedbum on
    edited June 2011
    There was plenty of foresight. It was called the Clinton administration.

Also "Bin Laden Determined to Strike in US." It was an utter failure.

I suppose it's how you define the terms. Did they know that 9/11 was going to happen as it did and let it happen because they needed a Pearl Harbor moment as an excuse restructure the Middle East? No.

Did they know that terrorism generally and bin Laden in particular was a clear and present danger to the United States and do precisely jack with absolutely no urgency about it? Yes.

Sad thing, that's about the fourth worst Bush Administration scandal.

If I were to say it, I would say that the Bush Administration did not recognize the threat of Al Qaeda as being as serious as it turned out to be, and did not act on intelligence that turned out to be true out of the vast amount of intelligence they receive, some of which was related to 9/11 and was false. I view it as similar to blaming the Clinton administration for not acting on Able Danger. Why? 9/11 Commission says because the FBI and CIA made a number of mistakes. The amount of intelligence they have to deal with is likely gigantic. Israel thought there were 200 terrorists in the US preparing some kind of assault.

Honestly, if you don't want to believe the 9/11 Commission Report, that's up to you, but it's pretty clear that they were working with classified material that we just don't have access to and making assumptions about it is certainly you're right, but it's basically speculation. Declarative statements out of speculation is bizarre. Especially something as declarative as saying it was "allowed to happen."

All the same, it's pretty clear Ron Paul meant that he wanted to return to what George W. said in 2000 with regards to ending nation building. Foreign Policy and Homeland Security related to counterterrorism share traits, but Ron Paul has talked about this subject a lot before.

devCharles on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tox wrote: »
    Wait. I've got it!

Yeah, that has to be it.

Honestly, I suspect they'd prefer the repeal of at least half of the post-Civil War amendments. A frightening number of them have to deal with expanding voting rights, and we know how that goes with them.

You guys just don't understand. You think the average American even reads the constitution? It's way too long for that. You and me, we have shit to do! The Constitution clearly needs to be revised into a three-page format, suitable for teaching in all sixth-grade classrooms.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So is there a summary of the debate anywhere?

Couscous on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did Romney actually endorse not raising the debt ceiling unless Obama leads or some other vague piece of crap? Since when the fuck was using an immediate short term problem that had to be solved in a very specific way or else we all die become something you could attach requirements to?

Couscous on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    So is there a summary of the debate anywhere?

Romney: Everything Obama has done is terrible. Even the stuff I did first, which was awesome. But now it's terrible. But I'm still awesome because I did all those things. But Obama's terrible.

Bachmann: I'm running for President. Fuck the French. Disband the EPA. Repeal Obamacare! Lower taxes! Obama wants to steal your children in the night! We should pick my VP like American Idol!

Santorum: I strengthened the borders of Minnesota. The economy can grow exponentially if we just want it bad enough. Obama wants to kill you and everyone you ever loved.

Tim Pawlenty: I hate Iowa. I hate taxes. I hate the Federal Government. I hate old people. I hate Obama. Why doesn't everyone love me?

Ron Paul: I'm the Commander-in-Chief. Withdraw all troops from everywhere. Poor people deserve to die. Obama wants to devalue the dollar so that he can steal your gold. Do away with taxes! Disband the Federal Reserve!

Cain: The first step in solving a problem is identifying the problem. We have a problem in this country. See, I identified the problem and solved it. Obama's a racist.

Newt Gingrinch: Obama has caused a worldwide depression and the death of all hope. We can escape this depression by winning the senate and the house and enslaving Muslims to build private sector elevators to the moon.

This might be paraphrased slightly.

There's a liveblog of the thing here.

Taramoor on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ktumulty: Predictions, anyone? What will Ron Paul advocate legalizing tonight? Going to be hard to top heroin

Schrodinger on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching clips from the debate now, and I gotta say Gingrich's comments on NASA and space exploration are politically problematic to say the least.

EDIT: And Cain's comments on Muslims, Sharia law, etc... yeesh! This is gonna be a loooong debate.

Curly_Brace on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Newt Gingrinch: Obama has caused a worldwide depression and the death of all hope. We can escape this depression by winning the senate and the house and enslaving Muslims to build private sector elevators to the moon.

Nah man, its okay to enslave criminals. Who are brown.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    is there a summary vid of some kind of all the crazy?

Alegis on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Watching clips from the debate now, and I gotta say Gingrich's comments on NASA and space exploration are politically problematic to say the least.
    How so? He's right about NASA being an impediment to progress, at least in respect to manned spaceflight. Ok, now I just got to the part about comparing it to the transcontinental railroad, that would be a less than ideal system, yes.

Dynagrip on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To be fair to Bachmann, I'm reasonably sure the VP Idol thing was a joke.

Fencingsax on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm feeling pretty good in my Romney prediction right now.

Speaker on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    However she did say that Biden was wrong about everything, and that Palin was a better VP pick. I think she almost said that Palin had more experience, but she couldn't get it out.

Fencingsax on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    How so? He's right about NASA being an impediment to progress, at least in respect to manned spaceflight. Ok, now I just got to the part about comparing it to the transcontinental railroad, that would be a less than ideal system, yes.

I would buy an argument that NASA is not the best way to get into space NOW. But there is no way that getting rid of NASA in 1969 would have given us a space mecca today.

Tomanta on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ah huh...

well I'm feeling pretty confident that the huge amount of people in this thread voting for Bachman or palin are democrats trying to skew the vote to the least likely obama unseaters.

Its not that i dont like palin's attitude, or am unappriciative of the womens republican voting trend shes boosting but no I dont think many conservatives see her as a viable candidate. Bachman's a one trick pony that failed...I honestly have no idea why she thinks she has a chance.

Romney is too much a politician for me. I dont want a politician right now, I want someone who can actually get things done. I honestly am liking Herman Cain as a candidate, not just because he would split the black vote from obama but because he knows what hes talking about economically (And has the experience), and has the feel of a leader that can get things done instead of someone doing it for the popularity. I find it pretty funny at the democrats already calling him racist.

Newt just needs to give it up. I've never really liked him and hes not going to get far in this race acting like he always has....the 2012 race is going to be extremely polarized from a political (Mostly economical view) standpoint. Liberal vs conservatism (again, economically not socially). Newt and Romney arent going to get anywhere with the flipflopping they have been known for.

Santorum might have a shot due to experience. the others i dont know much about.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited June 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    Romney is too much a politician for me. I dont want a politician right now, I want someone who can actually get things done.

Ignoring the rest of this (it'll be Romney, the rest are tourists), how do you imagine the quoted working, exactly? What's in your head when you imagine this heroic non-politician "getting things done"?

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He plugs Herman Cain in that role, so apparently it requires Fair Tax and Muslim loyalty oaths?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I honestly am liking Herman Cain as a candidate, not just because he would split the black vote from obama but because he knows what hes talking about economically (And has the experience), and has the feel of a leader that can get things done instead of someone doing it for the popularity. I find it pretty funny at the democrats already calling him racist
    No. Not even close. Contrary to popular belief, blacks as a voting block don't just head to the voting booth looking for the first black name on the ballot. He wouldn't get 10% of the black vote. His Muslim bashing doesn't help him in this regard because blacks are far more accepting of muslims than a lot of other voting blocks.

Raggaholic on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah pretty sure people call Cain a racist because he's extremely anti muslim. Sorry you can't say you want muslims specifically to take a loyalty test and pretend thats a policy decision.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    well I'm feeling pretty confident that the huge amount of people in this thread voting for Bachman or palin are democrats trying to skew the vote to the least likely obama unseaters.

Don't be ridiculous. I want Bachmann to run to unseat her from the 6th District in Minnesota. Obama is going to destroy whomever runs anyway. Did you see him campaign in '08? Do you think any of these jokers can generate either excitement or a coherant platform that isn't "Whatever Obama does, that sucks"?
    Its not that i dont like palin's attitude, or am unappriciative of the womens republican voting trend shes boosting but no I dont think many conservatives see her as a viable candidate.

Palin doesn't have a voting trend. She was a half-term governor. Governors don't really vote on things, they decide what to veto and sometimes introduce legislation. The stuff she did introduce and champion wasn't even all that Republican. They share the wealth like crazy in Alaska, and they blow tons of money on bridges to nowhere.
    Romney is too much a politician for me. I dont want a politician right now, I want someone who can actually get things done.

I don't really know how to say this, but running for president makes you a politician. The debate last night made it pretty clear that none of these people, with the possible exception of Paul, has any beliefs other than what the Republican party wants in order to support them for their presidential run.
    I honestly am liking Herman Cain as a candidate, not just because he would split the black vote from obama

If, by split, you mean 90/10. Black people don't vote for people just because they're black. Obama does have historic levels of African American support, but him being black really is a small part of it. He actually endorses a platform that doesn't savagely fuck black people. Go find Alan Keyes's record with blacks. That's what's going to happen with Cain if he makes it to the general.
    I find it pretty funny at the democrats already calling him racist.

I find it funny, too, but I suspect for different reasons.
    Newt just needs to give it up. I've never really liked him and hes not going to get far in this race acting like he always has....the 2012 race is going to be extremely polarized from a political (Mostly economical view) standpoint. Liberal vs conservatism (again, economically not socially). Newt and Romney arent going to get anywhere with the flipflopping they have been known for.

Newt isn't serious about running anyway, and never was. He's been conning conservatives out of money ever since he left the House in the '90s. I suspect the only reason he's actually putting forward the image is because Maddow called him on it and he needs some cred to keep the money train chugging.
    Santorum might have a shot due to experience.

Santorum's frothy mix of racism and homophobia gives him only a slightly better chance of becoming president than my left shoe.

I'm not saying that Obama is going to win for sure, let's at least be honest: Any of these candidates that wins will win based on whether or not Obama screws up and the economy gets worse. Their own merits are, currently, immaterial, because they're either running away from them (like Romney) or not currently in possession of any merits (Bachmann, Palin, Santorum).

Dracomicron on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I honestly am liking Herman Cain as a candidate, not just because he would split the black vote from obama but because he knows what hes talking about economically (And has the experience), and has the feel of a leader that can get things done instead of someone doing it for the popularity. I find it pretty funny at the democrats already calling him racist.

Isn't that the guy that promised he won't sign any legislation longer than three pages?

Or is he the guy that did the radio ad about two black guys talking about how awesome republicans are, that couldn't even get two black dudes to voice act it?

Deebaser on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hahaha, I love when people say someone has "experience with the economy" because they were in charge of some random business concern. I ran a successful chicken farm for 25 years, I'm certain I can get America back on track!

Also yeah Herman Cain is a racist because of all those racist things he said he believes are good ideas.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I honestly am liking Herman Cain as a candidate, not just because he would split the black vote from obama but because he knows what hes talking about economically (And has the experience), and has the feel of a leader that can get things done instead of someone doing it for the popularity. I find it pretty funny at the democrats already calling him racist.

Isn't that the guy that promised he won't sign any legislation longer than three pages?

Or is he the guy that did the radio ad about two black guys talking about how awesome republicans are, that couldn't even get two black dudes to voice act it?

No, I think he's the guy who doesn't trust Muslims.

Clevinger on
  • RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Azith, I don't want you to think we're ganging up on you. We're not. I actually think it's interesting to have a fresh face in here.
    azith28 wrote:
    Its not that i dont like palin's attitude, or am unappriciative of the womens republican voting trend shes boosting but no I dont think many conservatives see her as a viable candidate.
    Palin doesn't have a voting trend. She was a half-term governor. Governors don't really vote on things, they decide what to veto and sometimes introduce legislation. The stuff she did introduce and champion wasn't even all that Republican. They share the wealth like crazy in Alaska, and they blow tons of money on bridges to nowhere.
    I think he's referring to Palin starting to move the numbers of women who vote republican instead of democrat. Without looking up the numbers, I think it's a fair assumption. Of course, if someone pulls up the numbers, I could be wrong.

Raggaholic on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One of the complaints I hear a lot about Kerry is that he ran on "I'm not Bush!" and not much else. And it seems like all these candidates are running on "I'm not Obama," plus crazy. I may be wrong but I remember Bush being less popular in 2004 than Obama at the moment; I don't think that strategy is going to work any better this time around.

KalTorak on
    edited June 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    One of the complaints I hear a lot about Kerry is that he ran on "I'm not Bush!" and not much else. And it seems like all these candidates are running on "I'm not Obama," plus crazy. I may be wrong but I remember Bush being less popular in 2004 than Obama at the moment; I don't think that strategy is going to work any better this time around.

People don't want to hear you're not a canidate, they want to hear what you are going to do. As much as republicans try and claim Obama was running on a "I'm not bush" platform in 2008 he had policy proposals out the ass. If anything it was McCain running on the not bush train, he said it so often I hear Palin got waxed for good measure.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Doesnt look like theres much on "Palin women poll" in the google, but here are some things:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110638/did-palin-help-mccain-among-white-women.aspx
    http://newsone.com/nation/news-one-staff/poll-palin-struggles-among-african-americans-women/

Seems like women dont like her much, or at least didnt not swing in her favor once she got into the game.

Dr Mario Kart on
    edited June 2011
    Palin was an obvious conservative attempt at trying to get hillary voters put off by Obama. That conservatives thought an anti choice cronyist hypocrite would appeal to women shows how little they think of them.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So Palin wasn't part of the debate. Does this mean her bid for a run in 2012 is officially over?

Richy on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.