As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[APB: Reloaded] New name, same game?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You can actually get a ghost buster suit? That is awesome.

It looks like he painstakingly colored a normal clothing set to look like a ghostbusters suit, which is why it's amazingly awesome.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You can actually get a ghost buster suit? That is awesome.

It looks like he painstakingly colored a normal clothing set to look like a ghostbusters suit, which is why it's amazingly awesome.

As someone who's fooled with the clothing style creator and the emblems, if Ein made that I utterly bow before his talents.

That is impressive.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Info I found that may be helpful- re: clotting agent-
    No mods: 4.5s wait, 6.5s heal = 11s total
    CA1: 3.375s wait, 8.125s heal = 11.5s total
    CA2: 2.25s wait, 9.75s heal = 12s total
    CA3: 0s wait, 15.17s heal = 15.17s total

If you didn't read the quoted post another important thing to take note of in regards to CA is the "wait time" is time without damage. So with no CA if you get shot 4.2s after initial damage, you have to go another 4.5s before you start regenerating. So unless you're sniping or can hide sufficiently, CA3 is the way to go.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so if my math is correct in the time it takes for:
    no CA to activate, CA3 will have healed 29.7%, CA2 will have healed 29.9%, and CA1 will have healed 23.7%
    CA1 to activate, CA3 will have healed 22%, and CA2 will have healed 15%
    CA2 to activate, CA3 will have healed 15%

I think it's fair to say that you'll only get breaks in combat longer than 2 seconds if you're on defense against a team with at most as many players as your team (unless you're sniping as was mentioned). I find it interesting that CA2 has no clear advantage against CA3 when compared to no CA at all or CA1. I think if you're sniping you're better off with CA2 or using kevlar instead, for everything else I think CA3 is the best choice.

Is it possible to have CA and Kevlar mods on at the same time?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so if my math is correct in the time it takes for:
    no CA to activate, CA3 will have healed 29.7%, CA2 will have healed 29.9%, and CA1 will have healed 23.7%
    CA1 to activate, CA3 will have healed 22%, and CA2 will have healed 15%
    CA2 to activate, CA3 will have healed 15%

I think it's fair to say that you'll only get breaks in combat longer than 2 seconds if you're on defense against a team with at most as many players as your team (unless you're sniping as was mentioned). I find it interesting that CA2 has no clear advantage against CA3 when compared to no CA at all or CA1. I think if you're sniping you're better off with CA2 or using kevlar instead, for everything else I think CA3 is the best choice.

Is it possible to have CA and Kevlar mods on at the same time?

You have to also factor that in a fire fight you heal with 3 even while getting hit, none of the others do that... the timer resets every time you take damage.

No on both.

And kevlar is not an option in any way. The down side to kevlar is slower running speed and acceleration. the acceleration is the problem...

If you have not tried it (and we did one sad day testing it against normal running and movement)- you hit the move key and you char stutter steps not moving. Its like they hold you in place then let you go.

It does not really function like car accel, its like a buffer on your startup. You cannot dodge anything at all as you do not move when you input to move... you are car fodder. You are grenade fodder. You cannot make it to cover to regen. And if you are a sniper you will be starting and stopping alot getting angles and positioning. Its counter productive. its like its not for snipers because of that.

Its for a dude with reflex sights that never stops moving. But if you touch anything that stops you... or open a door... jump over a fence.... the accel gets you again. So its not for them either.

It may prevent you from climbing in some locations due to the speed/accell. 2 HVR shots still kills you dead.

In short- Kevlar is complete and utter shit.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Giant ghostbusters pic.
    2zixahy.jpg

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    That is spectacular.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    can you share designs between people? I need to play this game more, i've barely touched it.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah I sorta knew kevlar was a pile, but I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't be such a pile if you could combine it with CA. As it stands because CA3 acts like a constant 7% per second trickle charge I imagine it ends up acting like kevlar anyway since by the time you're hit with a second shot your health has gone back up a tad, rendering the first shot less powerful.

I did not know about the movement bullshit, especially where I know I've bitched to my clan about not being able to climb fences half the time (I have kevlar 1 on my character, bought it before I realized how dumb it was)

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There really needs to be more character modifications. Right now everyone has Happy Landings and Clotting Agent; I'd like to see some run faster/jump higher/throw farther style upgrades. Give people some real choices.

There's so many weapon and vehicle upgrades, but only three character upgrades.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah... the option to be faster but have 80% health At lvl 3 would be cool.
    Or faster and aim reduced in all modes by 10%

More grenades with and each level = less distance thrown.
    ie 1 extra = 75% throw distance
    2 extra =55%
    3 extra =40%
    Risk reward would work out....

And kevlar could be fixed by removing the accel part. Just make em even a lil run slower.... but still get to top speed fast.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, the goggles in that ghostbusters outfit. Where might one obtain them from?

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    There's worn goggles and hanging goggles; I'm not sure if they're unlockable in APB:R. I know for sure that Gravebound and I (on the far right of that picture, wearing hanging ones that aren't visible in the shot) unlocked them in the original APB.

There is a pair of worn goggles that are precustomized, though; you've probably already unlocked them.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    There's worn goggles and hanging goggles; I'm not sure if they're unlockable in APB:R. I know for sure that Gravebound and I (on the far right of that picture, wearing hanging ones that aren't visible in the shot) unlocked them in the original APB.

There is a pair of worn goggles that are precustomized, though; you've probably already unlocked them.

The on the eyes version is from back in the day only. :(

Wish I had ported my char vs giving up on them sorting it out.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm actually kind of glad that I have the hanging version. I've colored them blue and I wear them while also wearing sunglasses.

Cracks me up that you can wear a utility vest and a loosened tie at the same time.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, how do I use the symbol designer in the customization options? It doesn't seem to allow me to freehand draw anything at all. No matter where i click all I seem to be able to do is choose colours and not interact with it in any meaningful way...obviously I am doing it wrong.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, i've given up on trying to play this. Cant figure out what im supposed to be doing or how to even get more missions after the tutorial, attempting to ask other players results in them telling me to push alt +F4 like a bunch of useless fucks.

Running around aimlessly isnt so fun.

Elimination on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    you talk to a contact, pledge yourself, and then press K to say you're ready for more missions

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    you talk to a contact, pledge yourself, and then press K to say you're ready for more missions

I did that...nothing happens. I get no missions, it showed to do that in the tutorial so thats what I did in the actual game, but no missions pop up ever.

Also does anyone else get some weird green graphics glitch on distant people? It shows little weird green "sparkles" or something when looking at distant people.

Elimination on
  • Options
    TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You also need to leave the Tutorial district and join a "real" one.

Tremblay on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Tremblay wrote: »
    You also need to leave the Tutorial district and join a "real" one.

I did. I chose this weird social district or something like that, and talked to a dude on a skateboard, and some loli chick. But they wont cough up the quests.

Also what server is everyone on?...So I can join up and learn the tropes and stop failing at this. I dont mind re-making my character since I'm not very far anyhow.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You cannot do missions from social.

Choose either waterfront or financial.

When you spawn in hit m for map. Click one of the people lit up on the map and pledge to them.

Then m to close the map, and k to ready up. Have fun.

Joker server
    bigseb, an enforcer

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    You cannot do missions from social.

Choose either waterfront or financial.

When you spawn in hit m for map. Click one of the people lit up on the map and pledge to them.

Then m to close the map, and k to ready up. Have fun.

Joker server
    bigseb, an enforcer

And in one post Mojo made the game significantly less frustrating.

Elimination on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    this is the most ragetastic game I've played in a long time

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Basticle wrote: »
    this is the most ragetastic game I've played in a long time

The fix to this is to play with people on voice.

But be aware... there are bad missions. There are times you are against horrid odds from the word go. Let it roll off you. Switch districts if you get rolled to often.

Just know that when this game clicks.... there is nothing like it.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been giving this thing a go with a good friend of mine. Being new in APB can be a brutal experience. Due to our ignorance, we started off in the Waterworks first and got completely rolled for most of the night. Went up against a lady with an SMG that could literally kill us in under one second.

After swapping over to Financial, we had a much easier time of getting things done, even though we would occasionally get matched against someone who had been playing for ages. This situation typically culminated in our sure demise, as we'd be getting two-shotted with little in the way of offense coming from us thanks to dying the moment our enemies so much as laid eyes on our feeble bodies.

It was fun, though. I'm definitely entertained whenever I die, because the physics are hilarious and some of the themes that people have are fucking wonderful.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I've been giving this thing a go with a good friend of mine. Being new in APB can be a brutal experience. Due to our ignorance, we started off in the Waterworks first and got completely rolled for most of the night. Went up against a lady with an SMG that could literally kill us in under one second.

After swapping over to Financial, we had a much easier time of getting things done, even though we would occasionally get matched against someone who had been playing for ages. This situation typically culminated in our sure demise, as we'd be getting two-shotted with little in the way of offense coming from us thanks to dying the moment our enemies so much as laid eyes on our feeble bodies.

It was fun, though. I'm definitely entertained whenever I die, because the physics are hilarious and some of the themes that people have are fucking wonderful.

The only diff in districts is that waterfront favors longer guns in more places. You just got 'unlucky' with the matchmaking.

If you get rolled too often switch to a different district number from the one you are in.

ALso new guys- There is no way to increase the power of guns, ie a tricked out star will kill you just as fast as a regular star... he just may have an advantage at shorter or longer range than you. Your starter gun is middle of the road, but it works well. Mods do not give you advantages, without disadvantages. Clotting agent does not give you more than 100 hp. it slows time to heal but decreases startup heal time.

The best all round guns are the Ntec, the star, or the joker.

USE cover.

look me up.

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The top three things that induce my particular flavor of APB rage and make me go play something else, in no particular order.

1) Some glass is bulletproof, some isn't. There's no rhyme or reason; you can shoot out a storefront but you can't shoot through the glass railings at a mall, even with an HVR.

2) Some cover is useful, some isn't. Kneeling behind some walls will give you total cover, whereas others leave your head and possibly your shoulders visible. I suppose this is better than perfect chest high walls everywhere, but it's still a little annoying. You should have to use grenades against people behind cover instead of just being able to continue shooting them.

Also, you cannot shoot through cardboard boxes, empty barrels or stacks of pallets. An AK-47 should be able to shoot through most of those things, especially the pallets when they're rotated optimally. When you can see someone through the cover they're behind, you should really be able to shoot them.

3) I lied; this is the thing I hate most about APB. Gophering. There's no time delay penalty for rapidly crouching and uncrouching and there's almost no accuracy penalty either.

If you combine all three, my head explodes. I just had to stop playing because a Crim had to hold an item; she went to the mall, went high, and had an OCA and an ACT .44. I couldn't approach because she could gopher me at long range with her pistol and I couldn't get close enough to engage because she was up two staircases. And the cover she was hiding behind was simple glass, but I couldn't shoot through it.

Rage.

Edit: Also, you can't shoot through open-style staircases and you can't shoot through some catwalk floor grating but you CAN shoot through most fences but not SOME fences and you can shoot through double doors that haven't actually been opened yet.

It takes a month for a new player just to learn what's bulletproof and what isn't, heh.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I didn't mean to imply that their guns were epics, so to speak, while we were lugging around greens; just that they had, indeed, been playing for ages and were simply better at the game than us. (a semi-colon probably doesn't go there, but fuck it.) They had better positioning, better aim, and better tactics all around. If they killed us in the blink of an eye with an SMG, it's because they knew what to do, what range to be at, and how to use cover more effectively.

My apologies. My wording was horrible. The lady, in particular, was the bad ass killing machine, not really her weapon. I should have said "who" instead of "that". In my defense, I was distracted by a burger at the time.

I didn't know there wasn't a difference between districts, though. That's a handy bit of information. We had just gotten completely unlucky so often with the matchmaking that we naturally chose to move districts entirely(being noobs and all). Then our luck changed completely and, after a couple more hours of missions, we decided to spend the rest of the night ramming stores and robbing mans.

Time well spent, I think. My vehicle's license plate says "poopsock". It did say "thegame" at one point, but I only did that to troll my friend who immediately turned around and shot me. Then I sniffed Double-B's ass for twenty minutes until Afro Samurai's Irish brother came running by with a gigantic rifle. I'm convinced that San Paro is somehow worse than Liberty City by a magnitude of about ten.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ein, Rius, Mojo... please take me back.

Here's hoping "Lucius" is still available.

(downloading now, hoping I can reclaim all of my awesome 2 Days stuff)

I can't wait to see my glorious sword/star cock and balls 2 Days logo after all these months.

fsmith1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    some more advice, especially for noobs is to always try to run in groups of 2 or 3 people and communicate on voip. Running alone means you have a significant chance of being matched against someone who will dominate you in certain situations, for example you might have a star and they might have an OCA and if they're experienced they'll exploit the shit out of close range combat, all it takes is for them to get to the objective before you (which will probably happen due to them knowing the map, and probably having a tricked out car)

Running in fours means you will be matched against pre-made teams who have purposely balanced their weapon selections and all know their place and can generally be a real bitch to handle even on missions that give you a massive advantage.

One thing my group did last night was each mark a waypoint on the best camp-able positions, then whenever we got a hold item, kill mans, survive, etc mission we'd just decide on a place to go and scramble to it.

A few other tips:
    Exploit the shit out of your camera-- instead of running out from behind a wall, wait near the corner and swing your camera in every direction to look for enemies. It's a super cheesey thing to do but it is necessary to be successful.
    Don't ever assault a point alone if you know the other team is on it-- often you'll get in a situation where your team trickles into the point one at a time only to get shot down by 2 or 3 defenders, you have to stop yourself and wait for a teammate and attack at the same time.
    Flank-- if you're going through the same door as a teammate, stop and find another way in.
    Never climb a ladder if you know someone is at the top. Never open a door if you know someone is on the other side -- both of these will get you killed 95% of the time no matter what.
    Call out players you've shot-- pretty much a single shot from anything + an HVR shot will kill anyone unless they have clotting agent 3 (and the shots are any more than .5s apart)
    Use the compass to call out the directions of enemies you see-- it's almost impossible to describe enemy who's between those boxes over by that building across the street, but everyone will know it pretty much instantly when you say he's across the street, North-North-East.
    Exploit the shit out of camping on camp-able missions.

Finally, go into the map and turn on showing vending machines, gas stations, and car spawners. Memorize the locations of the gas stations and car spawners, vending machines are less important but will be extremely useful between missions or when your weapon isn't good for the mission. Pretty sure the tutorial gives you the portable ammo box, use it with (by default) key 5 to switch weapons if you need a longer/shorter range gun.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It suddenly strikes me that a Criminal-side four man team of Syndicate Agents would be glorious, if such is possible. Don't think the game has the requisite longcoats, though.

Up for an American Revolt, anyone?

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    yes. Very much so.

Man Syndicate and Syndicate Wars were like, the two greatest games from that era from the best company of that era, and it pains me whenever I think about that fabled series reboot that will probably end up being an FPS where you start out working for the "good guys" realize the good guys aren't so good, then play for the bad guys, save the day, get the girl, and_everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg, then suddenly twist right before or after rolling credits that sets us up for the next disappointment.

edit: Vyngaard, my two crims are named Aubergine and TitusAndronicus add me in-game so we can coordinate this sometime.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My original idea was to create this haggard Civil War veteran with the facial hair, outfit, and everything. I'd drive around in a truck with Iron Maiden cover art airbrushed onto the hood, blasting Anthrax all day long. Instead, I settled for some kind of dope addict vagrant with no shirt or shoes, just blue jeans and an epic gray beard. My vehicle has a picture of Ignignokt on it.

The other night, we found this tricked out car that had Space Invaders on the top, Mega Man on the front, and designs of NES controllers on the doors. We stared at it for a bit, admiring the fellow's good work, before he came around and joined us in teabagging his own ride. This game can be a very bizarre social experience.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Joker / Criminal / Vyngaard

So, decided to get back into things a bit and get blooded again. Seems they've fixed up the game enough that I can actually kill people semi-reliably and drive without hitting too many walls. I like.

Managed to blow dudes to hell a number of times and am currently working up the faction tree. I definately hear you on the weird moments.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    How the heck do you people make those designs? I can't seem to do anything but a bloody circle or 15 circles or some crap.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    so I'm assuming you figured out that you have to drag symbols onto the canvas, and can manipulate them using things like stretch horizontal, stretch vertical, skew, rotate, etc.
    each symbol goes on a layer quite like how Photoshop does it, and a layer can have a property and an opacity.
    From there it's a matter of dragging things onto the canvas and positioning them to create whatever image you are going for.

The trick to more advanced symbol creation is to really figure out the layer properties, especially the textures and the mask layer. In case you don't already know it, with a mask layer anything above (or below, I forget exactly which) will ONLY show through in the area of the symbol that is on the mask layer. For example I might put a sweet texture in the canvas, and then put a circle symbol on the mask layer, and anything not in the area of the circle will be hidden.

edit: also if you're on a non premium account I think it puts some limitations on what you're allowed to do. You can unlock more symbols by playing the game (certain contacts will unlock stuff, some achievements and role advancements will also unlock stuff I think) or by buying symbol packs for real money on Armas. I'm not sure if they kept the feature from original RTW era APB but simply using the editor a bunch would unlock more stuff for you too.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure if they kept the feature from original RTW era APB but simply using the editor a bunch would unlock more stuff for you too.

Pretty sure that such feature is toast.

MrVyngaard on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bleh. Downloaded and installed this game. Now it doesn't work. I click "Start" on the launcher, the windows mouse icon spins a little bit and then goes away. A few moments later the computer makes a "DING" sound and nothing happens.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition