As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Time for a new thread

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    The phrase "next-gen" has stopped meaning anything.

Usually next-gen, for anyone with a head out of their ass, means the next set of platforms put out by the console developers.

Sounds like this guy thinks "Next-gen" means "HOLY SHIT GRAPHIX+++" which is shallow and dumb. He has a dumb face. I Googled it.

While I agree with what you're saying, micael ancel is one of the few people I totally trust when it comes to innovation. I almost bet its the opposite, where he feels the only plus is "hey our graphics are HD now" and he doesn't really like or get WiiU yet. He's one guy that I feel "next gen" would really mean the next step in innovation, not just pretty graphics and a touch screen.

I have no opinion on his face however.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    AJR wrote: »
    It's us. We were the aliens all along.

Those poor locusts.
    No john, you are the aliens.

And then john was a locust?

Joking aside, that would be a hell of a twist if done right.

Shadowen on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is going to be $40:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/dead-rising-2-off-the-record-will-cost-40-in-north-america/

That's about $20 too expensive IMO for a game I essentially already bought :P Ah well, I'm sure it will drop in price pretty rapidly.

It's amusing that this is what bothers some people.

They charged $5 for a demo. Nobody batted an eye.

They charged $10 for DLC that wasn't actually DLC. Nobody batted an eye.

They charge $40 for more DLC/side-mission? Fuck it...BURN THEM!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/13/dead-rising-2-off-the-record-will-cost-40-in-north-america/

That's about $20 too expensive IMO for a game I essentially already bought :P Ah well, I'm sure it will drop in price pretty rapidly.

I envy the world you live in, where you didn't have to see people with no concept of software development bitching about the Cases

Turkey on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm really glad L.A. Noire did so well, considering how different it was from any other established IP.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Turkey wrote: »

I envy the world you live in, where you didn't have to see people with no concept of software development bitching about the Cases

All I ever saw was how people thought the demo was terrific (and how it wasn't really a demo because 'it's separate and they charged money!') and never saw anything about the 'DLC' because, well, because.

The world I live in has unicorns farting rainbows.

Capcom found a way to fully monetise this shit. The worst part is that in a year or so, the GOTY will come out and it will have everything. But it'll probably have some exclusive stuff to get people to buy it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Both cases felt like stand alone arcade games to me, and case zero is to this day the best deal in the whole Xbox marketplace at $5.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    AJR wrote: »
    It's us. We were the aliens all along.

Those poor locusts.
    No john, you are the aliens.

And then john was a locust?

Joking aside, that would be a hell of a twist if done right.

I can just hear M. Night Shamalan laughing.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

What?

Case Zero was an original mini-campaign with content exclusive to it, for $5. On top of the fact that you could, you know, play the free trial of it because it was an XBLA game, if you really needed a demo.

Case West, compared to other Dead Rising titles, was relatively meaty as a $10 XBLA title. And again, it was an entirely original mini-campaign.

Off the Record is a rehash of a game people already own with SOME new content and a $40 price tag.

The price difference alone makes me not see this as a valid comparison. Coupled with what the two XBLA titles were in comparison to what Off the Record is, and I don't really see where you're coming from on that. If they released Off the Record as a $10 to $20 addon, (depending on how much new content is really in it) I doubt people would be grousing that much.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Minecraft has just passed 2.5 million sales.

May NPD
    Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC) Rank Publisher
    L.A. Noire (360, PS3) 1 Take 2 Interactive
    Brink (360, PS3, PC) 2 Bethesda Softworks
    Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) 3 Disney Interactive Studios
    Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) 4 Electronic Arts
    Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3, 360) 5 Warner Bros. Interactive
    Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, Wii, NDS, PC) 6 Activision Blizzard
    Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (Wii, 360, PS3) 7 Majesco
    NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP, PC) 8 Take 2 Interactive
    Just Dance 2 (Wii) 9 Ubisoft
    Lego Star Ware III: The Clone Wars (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) 10 Lucasarts

To get off the DR2 hate fest and back to NPD figures, L.A. Noire sold 899K copies.

Edit: Pilfering from GAF:
    Brink sold 401K across the two consoles, Mortal Kombat did 292K.

The 360 moved 270K units to win the month, the PS3 sold 177K. No word on the Wii, (3)DS, or PSP.

Hedgethorn on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PSP sold 5 units. One of them a Go. This is the year of the PSP.

Algertman on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder how the witcher's 400k+ worldwide sales would compare

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The phrase "next-gen" has stopped meaning anything.

About the only thing "next-gen" seems to mean now is "not Nintendo".

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But they're not aliens at all. As you as you dump a generic, INCORRECT, label on them, then you actively devalue the worth of that fact. Maybe more people would care if they weren't running around with the misconception.
    I doubt they would. Sera isn't Earth. Semantically, the Cogs could be Space Marines as it's not technically their planet. Or, in the terms of pre-Sera colonists, the Locusts are aliens.
    Of course it's in how you expand the idea. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! Doing something different allows you to build up more different concepts in the long run. Is a HL2 zombie the same as a Dead Rising zombie?
    Dead guy, shamble, head shot. Gameplay-wise? Yeah.
    So basically, don't bother trying to be even slightly/i] different when making a genre game because nobody cares.

You can. I devoured all of the Dead Space mythology quite readily. One novel, two 360 games, two movies, and a Wii game. Loved it. I'm glad they took that step in the mythology.

But in the end Dead Space the game is Resident Evil in space and if someone wants to boil it down to that, why not? One's a virus, and the other is a ancient mind-controlling ziggurat, but to the players it's ZOMBIE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WHY SHOOT SHOOT DEAD! People are forever boiling things down to classify them. I can't say I feel threatened by someone saying Dead Space is Resident Evil in space.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    But they're not aliens at all. As you as you dump a generic, INCORRECT, label on them, then you actively devalue the worth of that fact. Maybe more people would care if they weren't running around with the misconception.
    I doubt they would. Sera isn't Earth. Semantically, the Cogs could be Space Marines as it's not technically their planet. Or, in the terms of pre-Sera colonists, the Locusts are aliens.
    Sera is the homeworld of humans as well (as far as anyone knows.) It's basically an alternate universe where humans evolved on Sera and not Earth. (Ultimatey to get around having to explain why the planet is honeycombed and why America and whatnot don't directly exist.)

Space LITERALLY has nothing to do with the plot. They're not colonists, the Locust aren't aliens. There's a reason why the term "space marine" is grossly inaccurate for the series, and why I keep trying to convince you guys of this.
    Of course it's in how you expand the idea. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT! Doing something different allows you to build up more different concepts in the long run. Is a HL2 zombie the same as a Dead Rising zombie?
    Dead guy, shamble, head shot. Gameplay-wise? Yeah.[/quote]
    Except a headcrab can jump off the HL2 zombie when you kill it, making you need to treat it differently than a Dead Rising zombie.
    So basically, don't bother trying to be even slightly/i] different when making a genre game because nobody cares.

You can. I devoured all of the Dead Space mythology quite readily. One novel, two 360 games, two movies, and a Wii game. Loved it. I'm glad they took that step in the mythology.

But in the end Dead Space the game is Resident Evil in space and if someone wants to boil it down to that, why not? One's a virus, and the other is a ancient mind-controlling ziggurat, but to the players it's ZOMBIE OH MY GOD OH MY GOD WHY SHOOT SHOOT DEAD! People are forever boiling things down to classify them. I can't say I feel threatened by someone saying Dead Space is Resident Evil in space.

Well, I disagree with you on that, but at this point I don't think we're going to see eye to eye anyway.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Why do Australians pay more for tech and software?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/exec-tech/why-australians-are-paying-higher-prices-for-technology/story-e6frgazf-1226074497752

The short answer is "because." That is to say, there is no good reason.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

That anwser is shit and I am deeply jealous of you Americans :x

Dox the PI on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I disagree with you on that, but at this point I don't think we're going to see eye to eye anyway.

Fair enough.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/exec-tech/why-australians-are-paying-higher-prices-for-technology/story-e6frgazf-1226074497752

I remember some Sony person justifying it based on standards of living or some crap.
    creamsugar wrote:
    LA: 360>ps3
    brink: 360>ps3
    lego: Wii>360>3ds>ps3>ds>psp
    DoA: <20k

As usual, I also assume that people will ignore how the DS did early on when forming opinions about the 3DS.

Couscous on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know, is it a good thing that the 3DS version of lego outsold the PS3 one, or bad that it was under the 360 one?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I can't believe Gerry Harvey has the tenacity in that article to state that there's not much difference between prices at Harvey Norman and online vendors. I'm not sure what US outlet to compare Harvey Norman to, but think overpriced consumer electronics with a poor selection and unhelpful staff.

That piece of shit has been nickle-and-diming (AUDing?) consumers for years, and remained uncompetitive when the likes of JB Hifi rose. And finally, when online vendors started to boom, instead of a competitive solution he just tried to get the Government to start taxing the shit out of people savy enough to shop online?

He's even been quoted as saying, "No one has ever turned a profit trading online." Step aside, old man.

Since buying my first Xbox game online (Mortal Kombat out of necessity, thanks Australian Christian Lobby) I've fast realised that I'm guaranteed to save around $40 in the process, so I'm starting to wonder why I even bother with local retailers at all these days.

Gutterkisser on
    edited June 2011
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44865/Old-Republic-a-WoW-clone
    Analyst left disappointed by E3 hands-on with EA and BioWare's Star Wars MMO

Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz has issued a damning verdict of EA and BioWare's upcoming MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Claiming that he was "largely unimpressed" by what he described as a "game that's highly derivative of World of Warcraft" which sports visuals that are "competent but hardly breathtaking", Creutz wrote:

"Despite promises from EA/Bioware that the title represents a major step forward in MMO design, what we saw was essentially a World of Warcraft clone with Star Wars character skins and the BioWare RPG nice/nasty dialogue tree mechanism bolted on for non-player character conversations."

The industry remains in the dark as to when Star Wars: The Old Republic will eventually see the light the light of day, though 2012 is looking increasingly likely.

How much money were they spending on this again?

Couscous on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    MMOs are never graphically impressive. They need to run on almost all PC hardware configurtions, now more than ever with the huge non-traditional/new gamer market success of WoW.

Completely unsurprised about the WoW clone though. WoW approach + much greater emphasis on story. To be honest I'd probably play an MMO as good as WoW if it had a much better story and player integration. WoW's is awful, i took them 4-5 years to really even start trying to make a proper story out of it.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I mean, at least with Sony they're a huge corporation that has made some decisions in the past few years that have infuriated some people. But Bethesda is a (relatively) small publisher that has done nothing worse than maybe publish a few mediocre games lately.

The fact that they went after Sony, who 'infuriated some people' by taking a hacker to court, instead of going after companies that regularly fuck over thousands of people on a whim should tell you all you need to know about them.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, I know the ZoE collection is 1 and 2. Is The MGS collection 1, 2 and 3?

The MGS collection is 2, 3, and Peace Walker. At least in the US. It's 2 & 3 in Japan, and Peace Walker is a separate game.

Hmm, thats pretty cool too. Switch out 2 for 1 and it'd be perfect.

But I can live with my favorite MGS game, the MGS game I never played and... MGS2

I have no idea what you're going on about, despite having half the ending cut, MGS2 was still a good game. At the very least it had better gameplay than MGS3.

But yeah, alongside the Vita my most welcome E3 surprises were the Collections. MGS, ZoE, Silent Hill and GoW Origins announcements, plus the Team Ico Collection's launch date. A total of 11 games that I'll be playing the absolute hell out of.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    MMOs are never graphically impressive. They need to run on almost all PC hardware configurtions, now more than ever with the huge non-traditional/new gamer market success of WoW.

Completely unsurprised about the WoW clone though. WoW approach + much greater emphasis on story. To be honest I'd probably play an MMO as good as WoW if it had a much better story and player integration. WoW's is awful, i took them 4-5 years to really even start trying to make a proper story out of it.

It's a safe bet to say the Star Wars MMO will do well initially, then the hype wears off after a few months and numbers drop substantially. Then a month or two after that the game stabilizes and true playerbase becomes visible. They'll add in some extra content injections to try and maintain those nice high initial numbers early on in the game lifespan, but success will vary until they go f2p after a year because other MMOs have shown how financially viable that option is to bail a failing mmo out of trouble.

I'm not gonna swear to eat any of my bodyparts if I'm wrong on this, but yeah.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    One problem I see for TOR is that they've kind of painted themselves into a corner with the story stuff and full voice acting that content patches are going to be pretty expensive and time consuming to produce compared to the competition. Plus issues with getting access to all the voice actors they've used for the player characters, for years to come.

Blizzard already has trouble producing enough content to keep the playerbase satisfied. What happens when that content is that much harder to make?

-SPI- on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »

It's a safe bet to say the Star Wars MMO will do well initially, then the hype wears off after a few months and numbers drop substantially. Then a month or two after that the game stabilizes and true playerbase becomes visible. They'll add in some extra content injections to try and maintain those nice high initial numbers early on in the game lifespan, but success will vary until they go f2p after a year because other MMOs have shown how financially viable that option is to bail a failing mmo out of trouble.

I'm not gonna swear to eat any of my bodyparts if I'm wrong on this, but yeah.

The swap to F2P isn't just for failing MMOs. After swapping DDO over, Turbine realized that it was actually much more profitable than a normal subscription model. They then swapped LOTRO over even though it has had a good amount of subs for its lifetime. And it is easy to see why. Once the swap I'd guess that half the people who were paying would continue to pay whereas the other half would move to a micro transaction system. As long as the micro transactions from the old subscribers plus new players is more than the old monthly fee they would be earning more money. Obviously the more people you had paying the monthly fee at the start, the harder it is to get new players to make up the difference. But it doesn't mean that the mid tier MMOs are failing or in trouble. LOTRO and CoH have turned a steady decent profit over the years.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I can't believe Gerry Harvey has the tenacity in that article to state that there's not much difference between prices at Harvey Norman and online vendors. I'm not sure what US outlet to compare Harvey Norman to, but think overpriced consumer electronics with a poor selection and unhelpful staff.

That piece of shit has been nickle-and-diming (AUDing?) consumers for years, and remained uncompetitive when the likes of JB Hifi rose. And finally, when online vendors started to boom, instead of a competitive solution he just tried to get the Government to start taxing the shit out of people savy enough to shop online?

He's even been quoted as saying, "No one has ever turned a profit trading online." Step aside, old man.

Since buying my first Xbox game online (Mortal Kombat out of necessity, thanks Australian Christian Lobby) I've fast realised that I'm guaranteed to save around $40 in the process, so I'm starting to wonder why I even bother with local retailers at all these days.

You shouldn't bother, just keep importing. Over here the online retailers are hanging out in a tax haven and killing each other on price. Whenever one of the big B&M shops does a price drop, companies like Amazon will price match them within a few hours. It is awesome!

So come ye down trodden Aussies and Kiwis, partake in Britain's off-shore bounty of cheap gaming.

Moioink on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow, I'm surprised at Brink's placing on the top sellers considering how it got critically slammed (unfairly, in my opinion, coming from somebody who's been enjoying it without seeing any of the negatives the critics have). Sadly it looks like the only moment in the sun the game's going to get, what with a depleting player base and this hacking deal.

Then I see that Call of Duty Elite already has two million subscribers, and I think that innovation is being punished while recycled garbage continues to be profitable. Then I sigh and shake my head in bewilderment.

Grimthwacker on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ...What does a subscription service of an already popular franchise have to do with innovation?

Unless you're talking about an innovation in taking peoples' money.

Dragkonias on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Did it go anywhere? There were similar calls for a lower tax threshold on imports over here but the government laughed it off as absurd. I'd give them credit for that but they're in the process of putting in some of the most absurd, draconian, bullshit internet measures I've heard of so fuck em.

Speaking of importing though, just ordered Dragon Age 2 and a pile of books from the UK today. A quick comparison to their equivalents on NZ online retailers showed that I'd saved ~NZ$85 (~US$70 or ~£40), so I'm happy.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh no, conservatism got to NZ's internet too? I had no idea.. damn, thought you guys were in the clear. Is it the same filter nonsense proposed over here?

Admittedly I still like the immediacy of buying games in-store, this of course being relative to overseas shipping - the wait for Mortal Kombat was painful, though mainly due to anticipation and the 0.00001% chance it was going to be seized by Customs.

Gutterkisser on
    edited June 2011
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306942/news/ms-core-gamers-never-hated-kinect/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
    Microsoft has refuted the idea that core gamers were ever disapproving about Kinect - suggesting instead that they merely wanted the motion device to feature in their favourite games.

The platform holder used its E3 conference last Monday to show off a host of games that it believes will be 'Better With Kinect' - including BioWare's Mass Effect 3 and Ubisoft's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Speaking to an audience after the firm's E3 showcase, Microsoft's Kinect maestro Kudo Tsunoda said: "I mean, I never really thought that core gamers were in any way hostile to Kinect. People saying: 'Wow, we'd really love to have Kinect in the games that we love to play and the genres and types of games we like to enjoy,'... to me that's saying like: 'We really love Kinect, and we'd like Kinect to be in the experiences that we play regularly.' I never really looked on it as something that we needed to address.

Click to view larger image
    He added: "The number of Kinect experiences we're going to have are going to triple by the end of the year, so there's going to be more different types of experiences in more different types of genres.

"Let's face it, I've been playing games since I was like five-years-old. If there's anybody who is a core gamer, it is me and I'm just happy that Kinect and developers are excited enough about Kinect - and that core gamers are excited enough about Kinect - to have the technology showing up in all different types of games.

"I think that's one of the real strengths of Xbox: It doesn't matter what kind of person you are, a core gamer or a non-core gamer, if you like controllers or you want to play controller-free, we really make it so people can play games the way they want on our console, and developers can build experiences on the way that they want on our console.

"Again, I never really looked on it as core gamers being hostile. A bunch of people saying: 'Hey we'd really like to have this stuff in our games,' - to me that's much more something that makes me feel good about the technology."'
    He must be from bizarro world.

Couscous on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I generally think what gamers want is a general application of the tech that doesn't scream gimmick.

Dragkonias on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All the MS guys that were on the Bombcasts were relentlessly on message about Kinect. There must have been a memo.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He just needs to use 'rational' in there and he'd be fine.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Oxymorons are not fine.

Couscous on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

Oxymorons are not fine.

Rational core gamers can't be fans of Kinect?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If they want kinect to seem more interesting to a core audience I think they need to focus more on additional uses for it rather than replacement uses for it.

If it's some gimmicky nonsense replacing what is a perfectly good and, in the vast number of examples, faster traditional button press or stick movement they'll never get me on board. But if it's all the traditional buttons and then ALSO this other thing that you couldn't do before, that's really cool. And the only glimmer of hope in that direction was the head tracking in Forza. Get that stuff as standard in 360 racing games. Hell, work with EA and get that stuff in Battlefield. Show someone head tracking while flying a chopper and you'll have loads of people on board with kinect, damn near worked with TrackIR for ArmA2 on the PC and I barely ever play that game.

Instead of that horrific looking shooting in Ghost Recon show the guy playing the game with a controller then lift his hand and give quick and silent hand signals to command his squadmates. Hell, let him use voice commands too and put in that stuff from Manhunt 1 and Splinter Cell co-op where the enemy can hear you speak so you have to be careful and tactically use voice or hand signals. That would be awesome.

Make "better with kinect" more than a fallacious marketing label.

The question is whether they're willing to show Kinect taking a backseat to the traditonal controller and somewhat undermine their whole "you are the controller" marketing push. And whether there really is many innovative and genuinely worthwhile uses for it that will justify it's purchase if you have no interest in the [strike]waggle[/strike] jazz hands library.

-SPI- on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was going to post this, then I thought better of it, then I decided to post it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLsuB1xw1sU

I realize it was made to be a troll video, but I think it's a good reminder of what was shown at the conference, the new uses of Kinect that Kudo is claiming have excited fans.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky