As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Child of Eden: Rez sequel. Turn on, tune in, lock on | Out now on 360, PS3 in Sept.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd buy this game just for Genki Rockets if it wasn't just because Mizuguchi is making it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-qjTRYeCSg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally youtubed for the lazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_bSwkReD7U

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heavenly star is an awesome awesome song

Rent on
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I couldn't find a newer thread searching the forums via Google, but I just got this early from Amazon. Will post impressions later. :D

Szechuan on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    whoa whoa wait a sec. this is out?

I was contemplating getting a kinect for this after playing it at pax but I had no idea what the release date was

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I feel a bit terrible for not setting up a better OP, but just rectified things a bit with some gameplay videos. The 360 version is out this week, and the PS3 version (which I believe has had Move compatibility confirmed, but I need to find an official source on this) is out Sept. 1 in the U.S.

I'll be grabbing the 360 version this week, as I figured if any game is going to benefit from Kinect compatibility, it will be this one. When the PS3 version is out, I'll have to rent it/borrow it to figure out if I want to double-dip or not, but I love Rez so goddamned much that I don't think it'll be much of a problem.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Games tm gave this 8/10. Said it was very good.

Will be picking it up end of the week.

WMain00 on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OMG I didn't realize this is out tomorrow.

Grabbing the tent, heading to Best Buy.

Bamelin on
    edited June 2011
    My initial impressions aren't as good as I'd hoped.
    They recycle a bunch of enemies and none of the levels felt thematically distinct like they did in Rez. The music is samey throughout - I just played through all the stages and can't recall a single track or even a part I enjoyed. Instead of decent ambient music it sounded like the same few piano loops and autotuned vocals over and over.

The worst part is the controls. I am using a controller and the game just does not respond well - the reticle is sluggish and there is no sensitivity option. In Rez this wasn't an issue because the reticle moved fast enough for the gameplay, but here it feels evident from the placement of obstacles that the difficulty is geared for more of a click-and-drag setup (i.e. Kinect).

tl;dr - Based on content it doesn't seem to be worth anywhere near full price. This should have been an XBLA title. I may just be burnt out on it from playing and feeling grumpy so I'm going to give it some more time. That said, this seems like a rental unless there's more stuff to blow my mind I haven't stumbled across yet.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the tracer/lock-on system does work quite well and isn't clunky or hard to get used to. No problems there aside from the reticle thing.

Szechuan on
    edited June 2011
    Putting tent back in closet. =(

Bamelin on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I might get this. I'll play it with a controller at home, and when I'm done with it, I'll give it to my ROTC det, who have a Kinect.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2011
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Putting tent back in closet. =(

It really breaks my heart so I'm hoping I'm still processing it all. It's definitely worth a play but I don't know if it's worth the price tag.

Szechuan on
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    I might get this. I'll play it with a controller at home, and when I'm done with it, I'll give it to my ROTC det, who have a Kinect.

I would think playing this with a controller removes like half the fun

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want this bad, but want to play it with Kinect my first time through, which I don't yet have. Rez is one of my favorite games of all time; I'm pretty sure CoE won't live up to it, but I'd like to see what Miz does as a followup.

If I'm feeling fancy and some checks come into the business I might pick a Kinect + CoE up later this week, but otherwise it'll have to wait since PAX is coming up and I have priorities. :)

rufo on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cantido wrote: »

I would think playing this with a controller removes like half the fun

Ugh, that's probably true. I'm pretty tempted to pick this up today, but I'm not that willing to buy a kinect for this one game.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    edited June 2011
    darleysam wrote: »

I was coming in to post this -- I typically agree with how Eurogamer rolls, plus this specific reviewer seems to have a lot of the same responses that I had to Rez.
    Eurogamer wrote:
    Players who value arithmetic over art can rest easy: Child of Eden is an orthodox video game, with criteria for success and failure, ranks to achieve, percentages to claim, leaderboards to climb and prizes to win.

But to reduce the game to its structural components is to miss the wood for the trees. As with Rez, Mizuguchi appears to have a higher purpose than score attack, despite his own Sega Rally arcade heritage. Child of Eden is an audio-visual journey in every sense of the word. It takes you from one place and one state to another; it hopes to leave you a different person to the one who embarked upon it.

It leaves you with a peculiar sense of power: it feels as though you have the influence of a redemptive god, restoring a fallen world back to its Eden state after a corrupting virus. A splay of the fingers and what is broken is repaired, what is begun is finished. Alpha and Omega. Grasp and splay.

Cannot goddamned wait! I have a very difficult time talking about Rez without waxing poetic, but really, there's more religion in Area 5 than in a thousand cathedrals.

Also good to know that there's a sort of similar structure to Rez: Five basic levels, and then a culminating sixth area:
    Eurogamer wrote:
    The five basic worlds are challenging, and unlocking the next in sequence isn't merely a case of completing the previous journey but of amassing enough performance stars. As such, you'll need to play and replay each stage in order to win progress, a demand that some may find harsh and off-putting. But these stages, songs and visuals comfortably bear repeating, revealing their secrets with slow but dependable regularity. The kinetic and musically eclectic sixth world Hope, unlocked when you complete the others, is a worthy pay-off.

For the people that care, the generic cover on the front has a reversible clean image (from GAF):

9CmEtl.jpg

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Very nice. I'll pick this up today.

I can't wait to shred that leaderboard....oh, wait. I'm on a controller. Ah...I'll figure something out.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It sounds exactly like the kind of thing I will love playing. I don't care about chasing high scores, just give me a wonderful experience that is a joy to play, and I am there with my money.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So what's the general consensus? Worth a damn if you ain't got no Kinect?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2011
    So what's the general consensus? Worth a damn if you ain't got no Kinect?

The reviews don't all agree, but generally, they say the game plays mechanically better with the controller (in terms of high-scoring and accuracy) but the Kinect experience really works in terms of getting you submerged in the game's aesthetic and mood.

The only hands-on here so far is from Szechuan, who felt kind of burned out and bummed at how the game turned out. :( I'll be grabbing the game whenever it hits GameStop by me, so I'll report back with both Kinect and controller impressions.

Lunker on
    edited June 2011
    I might be more inclined to pick up a kinect if we got some news on the steel battalion game for it

then there'd be TWO games I want to play on it!

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    this is $48 on amazon, it's so damn tempting right now... i hope it stays that price because i can't justify the purchase just yet...
    any word on a demo for this?

Local H Jay on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    OK read a bunch of decent reviews today, so I've just slapped down a preorder.

Get a free t-shirt too, woo!

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/15606214/Child-Of-Eden/Product.html

15606214_500x500_2.jpg

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I grabbed this from Blockbuster(!) while I was out today. Thanks, thread title, for reminding me it was out. Totally off the radar.

I'm playing with the Kinect, and I think it's pretty rad. The visuals are fantastic, and the music is really satisfying. There is something about your physical movement changing the beat up that just goes beyond what you could ever achieve with a controller setup. You hear a calming rhythm as you're casually shooting down little wormy things, and suddenly the beat picks up and the screen zooms out to millions of pulsing cubes flying in incredible patterns. Wait, I can shoot these cubes and they disperse, revealing a sphere in the center that I need to shoot. Doing so changes the beat up again, but if you're not actively trying to clear those damn cubes, they swarm again. It's frenetic and exciting. And I'll use the word 'satisfying' one more time, because I think that is the perfect way to describe it.

That said, there are some points I find that detract from the experience. The Kinect recognition is fine, but the way they've decided to design the shooting mechanic is a bit troublesome. You use your right hand to lock on targets simply by passing over them, but to shoot you need to flick your hand forward. The problem is that moving your hand often moves the camera, and having the camera spaz right out every now and then because you flicked to shoot too much is very frustrating.

Also, you use your left hand to fire your tracer. I don't like this design at all. Some people are right-handed, and some people are left. I don't want to use my weak arm to aim, especially when I've spent the last several minutes using my other arm and have grown accustomed to it. It's kind of hard to understand until you try it, but with the Kinect and aiming, you can't simply reach up and point at what you want accurately. It doesn't work that way. You need to reach up, watch where the reticule is on the screen, and then move your hand accordingly. Much like with the Wii pointer mechanic, you aren't exactly pointing at your target. You're pointing at the TV, watching where the pointer is, and adjusting. It works, but it doesn't work so well when the game's mechanic has you switching hands often, so you're constantly having to readjust. I would much rather have both weapons work off the same hand (adjustable via in-game menu) and then use a voice command or something to toggle between them.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It sounds like the motion controls really could have benefited from head tracking for the camera instead of being locked to the hands, too bad the cameras in the kinect just don't have the resolution...

I'll probably pick this up and use a controller in any case, been far too long since I've played Rez :)

flammiebc on
    Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    edited June 2011
    Boughted. Can't wait to play but wife is monopolizing tv tonight. Damn you Americas got talent, damn you to heeellllllll

Bamelin on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Boughted. Can't wait to play but wife is monopolizing tv tonight. Damn you Americas got talent, damn you to heeellllllll

Sounds like you need
    wii-u.jpeg

Couldn't help myself.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Caved and bought (but no Kinect). It feels pretty much like Rez with the controller, and as expected it's incredibly gorgeous.

I've heard that the game defaults to stereo, so you have to change it to 5.1 in the options. Haven't done it yet myself.

Also, thank god for that reversible cover.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    edited June 2011
    Ok played through first level tonight. Got through prt of second level before dying ... Didn't even realize I was so close to death I was so sucked into the experience. Playing with pad.

Game is sublime

Bamelin on
    edited June 2011
    I finally got to play tonight -- started straight up with Kinect, played through the first three areas.

Oh my god. This is the Kinect game I've been waiting for since the thing was released. So fucking sublime. Playing with Kinect is like living in a crazy fever dream of the future. I don't really notice any lag to speak of, moving between left and right hands is instantaneous, and after some practice the "flick to fire" mechanic works beautifully, with the caveat that my right elbow is sore from flicking too hard -- good ol' Wii Tennis Elbow making a resurgence.

As a game itself, it is totally Rez, and it is totally badass. You have to like the poppy electronic music (which I do), naturally. Flicking to fire on the beat for score multipliers is genius because it really gets you in the groove -- there are times when the bass drum falls out, so you have to kind of find the beat again, but once you lock in, and get into a cyclical pattern of seeking the octo-lock (locking on 8 targets at once) and flicking on the downbeat, it's heavenly.

I had to pry myself away since I have to go to sleep and I have a ton of reading/research to do before a morning meeting tomorrow. I am a card-carrying Rez fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt, but Jesus, this game left a great first impression, both as its own beast and as a proof of concept for Kinect as a valid control mechanism. People who adored Rez and love the musical vibe of Child of Eden really need to try this out with Kinect, as it's stunningly good.

Lunker on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ahhhhh lunker you asshole
    i just placed my order on amazon because of you. :P

Local H Jay on
  • OriginZeroOriginZero Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    Kinect enabled, eh? Man...isn't there a kinect update or a new version coming out to make it more playable in smaller spaces? It's not too great in my apartment, so I haven't picked one up yet. This game makes me want to have one; though.

I really loved Rez. About time we got a sequel.

OriginZero on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Awesome impressions Lunker, game doesn't release until the 17th here.

Hope to have it for the weekend, want to play this one after a couple beers!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ahh Lunker - I literally just came on here to write what you just wrote, pretty much word for word. I just bought a used Kinect last week for this - and it was WORTH it. I'm such a Rez fanboy, and after seeing how seamlessly I 100%'d the first two levels, I don't want to play Rez with a controller ever again.

This game is epic. Like, you are Neo cleansing the matrix, epic.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hrrmm, gonna have to rock the controller on this one.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I definitely want to check this game out sometime down the road. I absolutely loved Rez.

SteevL on
  • Raziel_pmRaziel_pm Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Got the game delivered yesterday from Amazon and played it all evening! Like Tycho said this morning, no more of this "spiritual successor" stuff...this IS "Rez II". The controls via Kinect are spot on and really are on a 1/1 ratio with your movements...no perceptible lag at all. The switching between weapons with your right then left hand is seamless and really does feel like it's making you a part of the action on-screen.

Speaking of on-screen...I'm surprised my eyes haven't burned out of my skull for seeing the "drab real world" after staring head-long into the pure visual bliss realized in the graphics! This truly is the next generation "Rez" that everyone ever wanted. The colors, morphing enemies, and themed stages are easily some of the most beautiful in the medium.

Sound-wise, why are you even wondering?! This is Mizuguchi we're talking about...the sound effects vary between stages(for normal gun, tracer, destroyed enemies, octo-lock, etc.) and mix perfectly with the remixed Genki Rockets songs(which make me want a CoE OST released STAT!).

If you were even wondering about getting CoE, it's called going here and clicking the button...go on, do it now ;)

Raziel_pm on
    Your sig was too large. Maximum sig size is 500x80. - Jacobkosh.
    edited June 2011
    I just want to add a few more thoughts.

1st the fact that this thread keeps threatening to slip off page 1 and only has 2k views is criminal. Spiritual successor my ass this IS Rez 2 ... And it's far better than we ever dreamed it could be.

Hyperbole aside, if you miss out on this you are missing out on one of the best experiences this gen.

For the record Im using a pad and still love the game to bits. It's Rez in every sense of the word ... i would say the main difference between Rez and Child of Eden is the vision of the two games .... Where Rez was dystopian both in terms of music and visuals, Child of Eden has far "happier" electronica with imagery to match. Think of it in terms of anthems ... CoE is constantly teasing you with the musical and visual euphoria of victory with each shot you take .... CoE reminds me of some ways how the last level of Flower felt ....

i have Kinect, but its not set up due to a small living space .... Im going to figure out a way to make it work .... The game is amazing with a pad, i know kinect will blow my mind.

The game is mind blowing. You all need to get in on this right away. Games like this don't come around very often.

Edit: I wrote all this not having yet read tycho's post today ... But yeah Rez 2. Go buy NOW

Bamelin on
    edited June 2011
    Just to follow up: I played for most of my day off yesterday and it seems most of my issues were due to burnout from playing nonstop for so long. I had a lot more fun playing it the second time. This is definitely Rez 2.

Edit: With terrible music throughout, that is. But the gameplay is solid and there's lots to do.

Szechuan on