As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E3: Now You're Thinking with Two Screens - Wii U Photos in OP

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You might recall that GamersGate have been teasing the release of their FreeGames service, which apparently offers a service of uh free games in exchange for you being explosed to some advertising. I had a chat with GG’s Theodore Bergquist about some of the details, and you can find that chat below.

RPS: What games will be available via the FreeGames service?

Bergquist: We’re aiming at 200 on release, high and low from all categories. We have more than 3000 games in our catalogue and our aim is to make as many of them available as possible down the line. Unfortunately we can’t disclose any specific games or publishers at the moment. Stay tuned for more info though.

RPS: Do you have to view an advert each time you play? Are there any other adverts displayed during playing the game?

Bergquist: No advertising when you play, only before. We’re gamers too, and who would like to watch ads when playing? That would really mess up the experience.

RPS: Are the games all downloadable, installed executables?

Bergquist: Yes, you only have to be online when watching the ads.

RPS: What is your plan for rolling out the services (beta dates, etc)?

Bergquist: We just started the beta sign-up and we got some massive numbers on that one already. 10,000 signing up the first hours. Beta expects to start within two/three weeks, then ramping up to release in September. Aiming at a Septermber 1st release.

RPS: Are there any other limitations on play? Could I install the ad-support FreeGame on lots of different PCs, for example?

Bergquist: Yes, you can install it on different PCs, it’s locked to your online account though. The way it works is that you can fill up to five “game slots” with games you wish to play for a month and then just play it. After a month you pick the same games or change. The more active you are on Gamersgate, the more loyal you are and the more people you recruit the more slots you get, and the more you can customize your slots, e.g a twenty-day (instead of thirty-day) slots, etc.

RPS: Do you think free-to-play gaming models of different kinds are the future for PC gaming?

Bergquist: I think free games open up for gamers to try more games and thus inspire developers to do more games. It will be a catalyst for creativity. In general I think the “free-to-play” games, especially the mmos and casual games will have a hard time. Many of those companies are funded by VCs and still does not earn any money. I think a hybrid of ad-supported content and pay-for will dominate for years.

RPS: Thanks for your time.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/14/gamesgate-explain-freegames/#more-62176

I'd like to see what games are available through this.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I grabbed infamous as one of my free games

holy heck it is fun

such a videogame

The climbing is a cool change from AssBro.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    infamous was like the first game i bought when i got a ps3. it was an excellent choice. need to get the second one.

Melding on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hawken is great because it shows what lazy untalented butts all those indie devs who just edit FF6 sprites are.
    At least create your own sprites you fat babies.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I saw some 2d side scrolling shooter ala Soldat a week or so ago. Don't remember where it was but the sprites were ripped straight from Advance Wars.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Had a lot of fun playing Soldat.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    guess what 3d is not the only thing the 3ds does the games look significantly better

MAYBE THAT IS ANOTHER REASON IT COSTS MORE THAN THE DS

Yeah I was gonna say. The graphics have been substantially improved. Also the screen is nice and the new stick above the D-pad is amazing.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SoaL wrote: »

holy heck it is fun

such a videogame

Really? I got Infamous for free also and couldn't get into it. You pretty much just spam R1, and I found climbing frustrating compared to Assassin's Creed.

The most annoying bit was the fact that the bad guys all growl and make dog noises. Why? It's annoying.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Had a lot of fun playing Soldat.
    Same. I was a beast with the Barrett. Even after they added the trigger delay. Then I re-downloaded it after a year or two and was awful so I quit.

e: Infamous is a game that, having seen my brother play most of it, I could not see myself getting into. I have a really hard time getting into open world games for some reason. Borderlands is one of few exceptions. I've never finished a GTA game.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    rhylith wrote: »
    Shabooty wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    That ridiculous hacker group has been attacking more sites and servers. Eve Online and League of Legends login servers and such.

minecraft too, I hear

why minecraft

what has minecraft done

If that alpha tester thing turns out to be legit, Notch has broken EU trade law.

what?

Yeah I'd like to see a source on this because I'm not finding it.

I, too, would like information about this maybe thing.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    well bale that's just you bein' a big wrong old man

kid icarus, ocarina of time, starfox, super mario, paper mario and

uhhhhhhhhh

animal crossing!

yeahhhh

animal crossing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eso2Sj0S6u0

edit: wow this is irt a post from like a billion years ago

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    well bale that's just you bein' a big wrong old man

kid icarus, ocarina of time, starfox, super mario, paper mario and

uhhhhhhhhh

animal crossing!

yeahhhh

animal crossing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eso2Sj0S6u0

edit: wow this is irt a post from like a billion years ago

I think he meant there's no good games out right now. Which is completely true.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    that is incredibly true
    which is why im glad that im getting one for my birthday, about a week after ocarina comes out

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zay wrote: »

holy heck it is fun

such a videogame

Really? I got Infamous for free also and couldn't get into it. You pretty much just spam R1, and I found climbing frustrating compared to Assassin's Creed.

The most annoying bit was the fact that the bad guys all growl and make dog noises. Why? It's annoying.

Really? i just starting playing assbro, and i am hating the controls. Climbing in infamous was at least easy to do quickly if you figured it out.

Also it's explained why the dudes make those sounds, kinda. Will agree they're kinda annoying.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Street Fighter wasn't bad. But yeah there are very few games out for it right now.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Got an early copy of Zelda 3D from Target whoo

so excited to play a game I've played like four or five times

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah I didn't dig infamous' combat

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Got an early copy of Zelda 3D from Target whoo

so excited to play a game I've played like four or five times

wait what really fuck

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    when they decide to port over wind waker, i'll give a shit. never liked oot

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    Melding wrote: »

holy heck it is fun

such a videogame

Really? i just starting playing assbro, and i am hating the controls. Climbing in infamous was at least easy to do quickly if you figured it out.

Also it's explained why the dudes make those sounds, kinda. Will agree they're kinda annoying.

Have you played Assassin's Creed II?

But I had no problem with the climbing in either of the games.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah Melding I think you're just not that great at it yet.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The climbing in Assassin's Creed is literally hold R/R2 while pushing the thumbstick in the direction you want to go

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Climbing in Infamous bugged me because it seemed Cole had it in for me. He just refused to go where I wanted.

I didn't get very far, only the second sewer powering up thing, and I'll probably play it some more, but I just wish I could make the dog men shut up.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011

holy heck it is fun

such a videogame

Have you played Assassin's Creed II?

But I had no problem with the climbing in either of the games.

No, i played the first one for a bit, didn't like it, skipped two got Brotherhood for free, mucked around with it for a while wasn't digging it. might come back to it later. combat at least in the couple hours i played was dull, and the climbing wasn't all that great either.

I was mostly just hold right trigger and A and what direction you wanted to climb. hurrah. much preferred uncharted 2's climbing on everything.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Man, you have to play II before Brotherhood

have to

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the plot already has laser popes and aliens from the future past. there is no going back to make this make sense. maybe it would ease me into the controls. I guess.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, the pope has a piece of eden but yeah Minerva is still unexplained.

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Man what melding.

Yeah AC1 was terrible.

You should play 2 and then brotherhood. And the reason the climbing is hold right trigger and A is because you have to go to places really fast to kill bitches. Uncharted 2 had the climbing it had because the climbing was the thing. Climbing was half the point. In Assassin's creed the climbing is there to facilitate your movement around the city and stab bitches from places. And there are Assassin's Tombs that are not easy climbing wise.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah well, i'm not spending money on a game to make a game i got for free make sense. I don't see what playing the previous one will make me like the controls and combat more. maybe i would have a stronger connection to the characters, but i already know what happened in the last game.

I get the idea that it gets better the more you play it, that's why i haven't written it off yet. But man, the opening game combat was so bad. all it is is countering and when you can't kicking the dude in the balls forever.

Melding on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    melding: current king of bad opinions

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seriously, one of the armoured two handed axes dude, all i did was kick him in the groin for 2 minutes and then he just gave up and died.

Melding on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think I liked prototype better then infamous

I don't think I ever had actual fun playing infamous

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    the plot already has laser popes and aliens from the future past. there is no going back to make this make sense. maybe it would ease me into the controls. I guess.

The other parts of the story are fantastic and the game is amazing.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Seriously, one of the armoured two handed axes dude, all i did was kick him in the groin for 2 minutes and then he just gave up and died.

that's all on you, man

I killed people like a badass

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I thought that's what happens in the real world when you kick someone in the balls for 2 minutes, though.

If so, then at least it's realistic!

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Melding I'm not really.. saying that you need it to make assbro better. It is just.. weird the way you are approaching it to me. The games have a story and things that happen.

I don't know, it seems like skipping a movie in a series of movies. If that makes any sense.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

that's all on you, man

I killed people like a badass

it's not even a point of it being uncool. it's a problem with it being easy.

So far the combat is fable easy.

Melding on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Did you just compare Assassin's Creed to Fable

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    Melding I'm not really.. saying that you need it to make assbro better. It is just.. weird the way you are approaching it to me. The games have a story and things that happen.

I don't know, it seems like skipping a movie in a series of movies. If that makes any sense.

I get that, that's why i read a plot write up and stuff from several different sites. I'm not going into it completely blind story wise. And honestly the game does a pretty good recap once you get back from Rome.
    Other then being kind of silly, i have no issue with the plot. Infamous' plot was silly and i loved that game.

Melding on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They've stolen millions of user passwords from Sony, defaced PBS's website, stole a bunch of internal information from Bethesda, including user info, and done stuff with Epic and Codemasters.

I think the EVE Online and League of Legends stuff is DDOS.

okay I've never been clear on this

what do they have against pbs

TheySlashThem on