As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones - TV only, NO BOOK DISCUSSION

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ep. 9 just had such a... final feeling to it. I'm not surprised.

JamesKeenan on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I vote this replace the original .gif

2jep5yb.gif

There is one more episode left, and I'm wondering what's comin that could hook people even harder than this last episode could have. I understand there are some complaining that they're never gonna watch the show again after that, but I have a pretty hard time believing it. There's just too much to the show for that one episode to have negated.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They'll probably tune in to the last episode saying, "How the fuck are they gonna save this piece of shit?"

And it will be great to see them turn right the fuck around.

Shadowen on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah my girlfriend called and said fuck this show and that she's not watching it again, two days later she said ok yeah I'll finish it but I'm still pissed.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GRR is just a really fancy troll.

Ego on
    Erik
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    *SNIP*[/img]

There is one more episode left, and I'm wondering what's comin that could hook people even harder than this last episode could have. I understand there are some complaining that they're never gonna watch the show again after that, but I have a pretty hard time believing it. There's just too much to the show for that one episode to have negated.

I find something really humorous about the way that dog grabs his hand then turns almost sideways as though its the precursor to a WWF style elbow drop...

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I hope the Season 1 Box set is cheap and in Blu Ray.

Squeee that would make up for all the torture this season has put us through!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jacoby wrote:

From the board game:
    They use the wildlings as a random outside threat in the board game, based on the idea that the wildlings sometimes get around the wall and head south when someone manages to unite them. It doesn't happen much, but you really want it to happen never. :)

Oh, and they apparently have wooly mammoths. D:

are you fucking joking? Board game spoilers now?
    Really dude?

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I guess warrior wasn't the best word, but I recall Ned giving Jaime shit about the duel. It seemed like Jaime while skilled more "played" at combat and hadn't really fought in war.

Deebaser on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I guess warrior wasn't the best word, but I recall Ned giving Jaime shit about the duel. It seemed like Jaime while skilled more "played" at combat and hadn't really fought in war.
    Eh, not necessarily. Remember (Ep 4, I think, Spoilers)
    Jaime and Jory's conversation outside King Robert's bedchamber, when they talked about fighting together during the Greyjoy rebellion. Jaime has definitely seen actual battles before.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Jaime and Jory's conversation outside King Robert's bedchamber, when they talked about fighting together during the Greyjoy rebellion. Jaime has definitely seen actual battles before.
    And then that bastard Jaime stabbed Jory in the eye a couple scenes later. Typical douche Lannister move.

ObiFett on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tru dat.

It actually makes the former scene way more significant in hindsight, too.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    fmz65 wrote: »

I was just thinking about this earlier. Has there been any hint on release date or contents of a set?

Tamin on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

Has there been any hint on release date or contents of a set?

episode 9 spoilers
    Life size replica of Sean Bean's severed head

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well played, Alucard. Well played.

hahahah

Tamin on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

I was just thinking about this earlier. Has there been any hint on release date or contents of a set?

Release won't be until around when Season 2 starts, and no, no word on content. Although given the sheer amount of pre-release stuff I imagine it will have extensive extras.

As a comparison, True Blood Season 3 was not released until May 31st (less than a month before Season 4). DVD is $60 retail, Blu-Ray is $80. Amazon is cheaper, of course.

Tomanta on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ego wrote: »
    GRR is just a really fancy troll.

Episode 9 Spoiler (inappropriate language warning):
    tumblr_lmptm836dL1qbb23yo1_1280.jpg

Taramoor on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SPOILED FOR EP 9 REVELATIONS
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Joffrey has a real problem right now. He straight up swore in court that he would show mercy to Ned if he confessed and recognized him as the true king. And he still has feelings for Sansa as is evident from how he talks of her at the execution, he's shown everyone he's willing to break his word and everyone from Littlefinger to the Spider are going to be extra wary around him.

He's lost all support and the north is marching south to exact revenge.
    mercy is relative. ned got a quick painless death. joff could have left him in that prison forever, thrown him in an iron maiden, set him on fire, whatever the fuck he wanted. joff is king and ned was a traitor.

edit: spoiled

sorry fellas didnt realize people hadnt seen it! my bad

also shouldnt what I quoted be spoiled too?

valiance on
    edited June 2011
    worst. opinion. ever.

joffrey is the worst. anyone or any words defending him are the worst by association.

THE WORST.

Edit:
    NED WAS A TRAITOR?!?!?!? He was the only one trying to keep the royal bloodline intact AND was only doing what the previous king wanted. The Lannisters are the traitors. And everyone who sided with them.

Also, may want to spoiler all that, guy with the horrible opinion

ObiFett on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Don't get me wrong, Joffrey is a little sociopathic, power-hungry SHIT.

But remember one thing:
    He doesn't know he's illegitimate! He truly believes that he's the rightful heir to the throne. Douchebaggery aside, is there any reason for him to think Ned wasn't a traitor?

Also Valiance, spoiler your shit son. Some people haven't seen episode 9 yet.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited June 2011
    He was there when Ned showed the paper. Cersei actually acknowledged that the decree was real, but, eh screw that! We're doing what we want to.

Joffrey knows he's not supposed to be king right now. He was supposed to wait till he came of age. All this shit he is doing is being done by a traitor, HIM.

ObiFett on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So even though I knew it was coming, and expected the huge reaction from episode 9, how do you guys think this will affect future seasons of the show? There is a reason shows don't do this kind of thing. I know season 2 is definitely happening, but do you think this will affect whether or not there is a season 3 by hemorrhaging viewers?
    Funny you should ask. I just watched ep. 9 with my wife, and it turned her off the series. She's going to watch the season finale, but I'll likely be watching any subsequent seasons alone.
    Her complaint, and I think it will likely be a common one among many casual viewers, is that she had grown to really like Ned, despite his faults, and didn't like how he died. She's afraid that this will set the tone for the series going forward, and she's not particularly interested in getting pissed off on a regular basis.

I'll be curious to see what ratings are like next year. I think that a lot of viewers who haven't read the books are likely to drift away from this show.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited June 2011
    valiance wrote: »
    Joffrey has a real problem right now. He straight up swore in court that he would show mercy to Ned if he confessed and recognized him as the true king. And he still has feelings for Sansa as is evident from how he talks of her at the execution, he's shown everyone he's willing to break his word and everyone from Littlefinger to the Spider are going to be extra wary around him.

mercy is relative. ned got a quick painless death. joff could have left him in that prison forever, thrown him in an iron maiden, set him on fire, whatever the fuck he wanted. joff is king and ned was a traitor.

are you fucking kidding me

ned was not a traitor

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    valiance wrote: »

are you fucking kidding me

ned was not a traitor
    He was though, he even forged documents with the kings signature on them.

You really have to ask, who was he helping there? Not himself, not the realm, not his family, his house, he was helping no one really.

Fizban140 on
    edited June 2011
    I will not stand for insinuations about Ned Stark.

By leaving Joffreys name out he tried to do the right thing. Instead of telling the king on his deathbed that Joff is not his son, he did that, which was a lot kinder.

Hank_Scorpio on
    edited June 2011
    forged documents? really?

He was helping the realm. Any of the King's true heirs would rule better than Joffrey and the Lannisters.

edit: this is needed
    2jep5yb.gif

ObiFett on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, there's only one true heir, and literally no one has a kind thing to say about him (besides Ned's love for battlefield commanders).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm pretty sure he meant that in the eyes of all the people gathered around to watch the event, Ned was a traitor based on public perception... you know, since the resident's of king's landing don't have the opportunity to be watching Game of Thrones every sunday to know the truth.

And everyone is just trying to defend Ned because he is much loved and Sean Bean is a great casting choice.

initiatefailure on
    edited June 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »

I did not remember that.

Deebaser on
    edited June 2011
    Modern Man wrote: »
    So even though I knew it was coming, and expected the huge reaction from episode 9, how do you guys think this will affect future seasons of the show? There is a reason shows don't do this kind of thing. I know season 2 is definitely happening, but do you think this will affect whether or not there is a season 3 by hemorrhaging viewers?
    Funny you should ask. I just watched ep. 9 with my wife, and it turned her off the series. She's going to watch the season finale, but I'll likely be watching any subsequent seasons alone.
    Her complaint, and I think it will likely be a common one among many casual viewers, is that she had grown to really like Ned, despite his faults, and didn't like how he died. She's afraid that this will set the tone for the series going forward, and she's not particularly interested in getting pissed off on a regular basis.

I'll be curious to see what ratings are like next year. I think that a lot of viewers who haven't read the books are likely to drift away from this show.

I don't know. You still have very likable leads in Jon Snow, Tyrion, and Aria.

Deebaser on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Arya is such a weird name when you hear it said as intended.

I thought everyone had speech impediments for a while.

Apothe0sis on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

I've had friends who have felt that way from the books as well. It's entirely possible. I think it will possibly make up for it by appealing to the people that don't want to read the books, but still like the story/characters/presentation and so on.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited June 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Arya is such a weird name when you hear it said as intended.

I thought everyone had speech impediments for a while.

For the first two episodes I thought it was Alia and was expecting her to become possessed with the spirit of the white walkers or some shit.

Deebaser on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rinzler wrote: »
    We missed several pages in the aftermath of episode 9, too.

It's not too late. There is an edit function.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

People find Jon Snow likable?

Everyone I watch the show with (myself included) finds him so boring. It doesn't help that his story seems to be tangential to everything going on with the Starks and Lannisters. Well, at least for now. I'm assuming there's going to be a reason we're spending so much time on the guy eventually.

Mostly though, the actor is boring and I hate his forced laughs.

Tyrion, Aria, and maybe the eldest Stark son (the one leading the army) are the interesting characters to me. Also, Jaime is cool in a I-want-to-see-him-die kind of way.

Talka on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That's what I thought about Robb until these last two episodes actually.

On the other hand Jon's scenes have been enjoyable to watch and even though anecdotal to the political intrigue going on in the south don't feel like filler or unnecessary subplots. Also his one scene this week was probably my first WTF moment in this show (followed by two more within the hour)

initiatefailure on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Talka wrote: »

Everyone I watch the show with (myself included) finds him so boring. It doesn't help that his story seems to be tangential to everything going on with the Starks and Lannisters. Well, at least for now. I'm assuming there's going to be a reason we're spending so much time on the guy eventually.

Tyrion, Aria, and maybe the eldest Stark son (the one leading the army) are the interesting characters to me. Also, Jaime is cool in a I-want-to-see-him-die kind of way.

I like Jon Snow, but I think a lot of that has to do with reading the books, and I've waited so long to post in this thread because I didn't want to make comparisons to the book and then I did it anyway.

Even knowing what's going to happen from reading the books it's so much more visceral while watching it happen in the show and so intense.
    Everytime Ned got betrayed I was yelling at the screen. If I wasn't prepared for him being beheaded I would have cried. I was close anyways.

Sean Bean is a goddamn fantastic actor.

Like others have said I'm surprised by how well the children actors have done and Arya is so amazing at everything.

Syrio's fight was excellent and I love the ambiguity of what happened, and I like to think he survived.

Magell on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »
    He was there when Ned showed the paper. Cersei actually acknowledged that the decree was real, but, eh screw that! We're doing what we want to.

Joffrey knows he's not supposed to be king right now. He was supposed to wait till he came of age. All this shit he is doing is being done by a traitor, HIM.

I'm a bit late to this party, but...
    The whole point of her tearing up Ned's paper shield and Joffrey's coronation is just another instance of the already obvious story point that power is about who holds it, not who's right. Robert isn't the rightful king. He's just the noble dude that seized the throne. Jorah makes a similar point to Dany in an earlier scene regarding how her ancestors weren't the rightful rulers of the Seven Kingdoms. They just happened to have dragons and the desire to go rule some new shit.

The Lannisters are a bag of dicks, there's no argument for that, but they're using similar sets of logic as most other noble houses: the establishment works if it suits your purposes and you lack the ability to change it.

Paradiso on
    edited June 2011
    Paradiso wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

I'm a bit late to this party, but...
    The whole point of her tearing up Ned's paper shield and Joffrey's coronation is just another instance of the already obvious story point that power is about who holds it, not who's right. Robert isn't the rightful king. He's just the noble dude that seized the throne. Jorah makes a similar point to Dany in an earlier scene regarding how her ancestors weren't the rightful rulers of the Seven Kingdoms. They just happened to have dragons and the desire to go rule some new shit.

The Lannisters are a bag of dicks, there's no argument for that, but they're using similar sets of logic as most other noble houses: the establishment works if it suits your purposes and you lack the ability to change it.

I get that power is about who holds it. And on top of that that the Lannisters have had the power since the beginning of the series.

Doesn't mean that they aren't all traitors for going against the king's decree / law.

ObiFett on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Talka wrote: »

I love Jon Snow.

OH yes.

So It Goes on
This discussion has been closed.