As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4E PbP Recruiting CLOSED] Curse of the Black Pearls

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've been trying to find portraits of a bald dwarf with a tattooed head, but have had no luck, even though I know I've seen pictures like that before.

If anyone could help me out, they would receive a priceless gift in return.

Thanatos on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheBog on
    edited June 2011
    Ah, there we go:
    Dwarf1.jpg

Not wholly accurate, but close enough for television.

Thanatos on
  • TunosTunos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ewww! He looks grody! Yes, I am 7.

Tunos on
    edited June 2011
    43 applications altogether. 13 strikers. 10 controllers. 9 defenders. 9 leaders. 2 hybrids.

Time to close this operation down, no?

TheBog on
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    43 applications altogether. 13 strikers. 10 controllers. 9 defenders. 9 leaders. 2 hybrids.

and a partridge in a pear treeeeee

Grog on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And that is now it! No more applications will be accepted. I shall now retreat to my hermit hole and decide upon the final party. Thank you all for your interest in the game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So now we wait for the black smoke.

... it's his preparatory ceremonial burning of the sacrificial character sheets.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited June 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    So now we wait for the black smoke.

... it's his preparatory ceremonial burning of the sacrificial character sheets.

Knew I should have given my characters a fire resist power...

Tunos on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm so excited for this

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looking forward to what Aegeri puts together out of all these. Regardless the party will be awesome!

Anialos on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah it's a pretty tight contest in some positions to be honest. I will be pulling out my dice, my maps and playing around with some parties soon. I can say I have a couple of characters already that are definitely the "core" of the party, I just need to see what characters will work well with that context.

Aegeri on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The core being Steven Seagull, Higgs the Bos'n, and the other characters with punny names.

Or at least, that's the core of cool characters.

Terrendos on
    edited June 2011
    COBglare.jpg

Haha. Man... Well I wish everybody luck! There's a ridiculous amount of characters to choose from. Never thought I'd say this, but I'm eagerly awaiting Monday.

TheBog on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Good luck everyone!

I feel wrong for wanting my elven dancing girl to win out over some of the other concepts here, but what are ya gonna do?

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited June 2011
    I just want ... anything to make it from mine. I'd even play my wizard I didn't like!

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is it too late to edit my character? I realized that I've made a mistake in my weapon choice.

godmode on
    edited June 2011
    Man, I actually chose this game over a couple others because you mentioned it would be so lethal, Aegeri; I'm not a big fan of how easy the encounters in most of the modules are.

Also, I love the pirate thing.

Thanatos on
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Man, I actually chose this game over a couple others because you mentioned it would be so lethal, Aegeri; I'm not a big fan of how easy the encounters in most of the modules are.

Also, I love the pirate thing.

Fourthcore = the most fun.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    edited June 2011
    You can make some edits to your character Godmode. I will be going over everyones submissions again in the next couple of days.

It's funny you mentioned that Thanatos, I just murdered the prospective party make up with the end of the prologues "capstone" encounter. Was slightly too hard as two elements I didn't anticipate being very nasty by themselves combined with hilarity. That will be corrected a bit though! At the same time, while I have killed a fair few characters it's not like you'll be going through character sheets like photocopying paper or anything. I prefer to have incredibly harrowing and difficult fights that *almost* push the party to the brink, but don't. But easy is not a description of my regular encounter design (unless that is indeed intentional).

Aegeri on
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri, how often will speechcraft come in handy in this game? I think 2 of my 3 characters are trained in diplomacy/bluff, but if they won't come in handy I might take them out

Toxin01 on
    edited June 2011
    You can always use such skills and there are a lot of different factions in this game you will have to interact with and manage (I have listed Pirates of the Carribean as inspiration for a good reason). So they will be more than handy. Failing that, there is always hitting things - albeit that's not always going to work :O

Aegeri on
    edited June 2011
    Bonin' mermaids. You heard it here first.

TheBog on
    edited June 2011
    There are indeed Mermaids in this campaign actually. At some point.

Aegeri on
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    There are indeed Mermaids in this campaign actually. At some point.

Omgz - Soldaer would totally be down to...you know...you KNOW!

Nostu wouldn't care.

Tunos on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I find it hilarious that you think Aegeri would ever have the mermaids not be actively trying to murder you.

It's quite obvious you've never played in one of his games.

Terrendos on
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hopefully it's death by snoo snoo. Drowning while sexy mermaids pile on top of you to get a piece might not be bad either.

Anialos on
    edited June 2011
    Meriele zots one of the mermaids with a arcane bolt.

"Filthy sea tarts." She mutters to herself, trying to save the men from themselves....

Ah, hilarity ensues....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm not sure what the fascination with mermaids is. It's not like they have...you know...cooters.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited June 2011
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the fascination with mermaids is. It's not like they have...you know...cooters.

Ohh you're just not looking hard enough!

Tunos on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mermaids have whatever fish have down there. Fishmers or whatever you want to call thems that have the body of a fish and the legs of a woman have the right parts... but you know.. fish head. Ugh.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited June 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Mermaids have whatever fish have down there. Fishmers or whatever you want to call thems that have the body of a fish and the legs of a woman have the right parts... but you know.. fish head. Ugh.

Just like Soldaer's time in Xen'Drik community college!

Tunos on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Could be worse I suppose. It could be the BJ spider from the oglaf webcomic lol.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited June 2011
    It could be a fish head with a womans bottom.

Now that's your kinky mermaid fantasy right there!

Aegeri on
  • wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    Meriele zots one of the mermaids with a arcane bolt.

"Filthy sea tarts." She mutters to herself, trying to save the men from themselves....

Ah, hilarity ensues....

"A shame they're so bloodthirsty," Skree says, as he beats one back with his shield. "They'd make amazing salesmen..."

wildwood on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if mermaid roe is caviar or just roe. How would we find out?

Also, I feel that as half fish, mermaids would make for quite a dilemma for Mattias, were he to encounter any.

Pinfeldorf on
    edited June 2011
    Reverse Mermaids, oh you guys.....! :winky:

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited June 2011
    How did you think the Dragonesti came around? Those are sea elves for you non-Dragonlance folk.

Tunos on
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Surely you mean Dargonesti? ;)

I always prefered the Kagonesti and Qualinesti, m'self. Too many Dargonesti swanning it in circles around your party in Dark Queen of Krynn.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    edited June 2011
    Qualnesti were my flavor of choice, just enough Elfiness, but not too much.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra