As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Primary 2012: An austere OP for an austere era

MKRMKR Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, that is not what is meant by "copy and paste"!

We could at least have gotten some hip hop campaign ads or something in the OP.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the Faceplace (Booktube?), one of my friend's friends is going on about how Wiener should resign because he's "a distraction" while the debate over raising the debt ceiling is going on. I told him that Congress was distracting itself, and was bluffing to boot, since the Republican leadership doesn't want to rule over a post-apocalyptic wasteland if they manage to pull off a win in 2012.

As far as the media is concerned, they will get bored with Wienergate as soon as the Iowa straw poll comes out and the Republicans start eating babies in return for dark power.

Dracomicron on
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the Faceplace (Booktube?), one of my friend's friends is going on about how Wiener should resign because he's "a distraction" while the debate over raising the debt ceiling is going on. I told him that Congress was distracting itself, and was bluffing to boot, since the Republican leadership doesn't want to rule over a post-apocalyptic wasteland if they manage to pull off a win in 2012.

As far as the media is concerned, they will get bored with Wienergate as soon as the Iowa straw poll comes out and the Republicans start eating babies in return for dark power.

I disagree. All the Republicans have to do is time when some new information, or picture, or girl calling for Weiner's resignation, comes out, then the media will be thoroughly distracted for at least a day or two with each bit.

edit: Guess it doesn't matter. NYT is saying he's going to resign.

Clevinger on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That new "Hip Hop" republican ad is bad. It's "Willie Horton" meets "Don't Copy that Floppy".

Deebaser on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Frowning at that OP so hard

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

They're distracting the public. "Economic crisis? Ignore the details look at this picture of a penis!!! And the debt ceiling raise bill passed through Congress, which means one and only one thing: you and your kids have mode government debt, and it's all the fault of Democrats because the President is Democrat and ignore the fact we Republicans control Congress right now because... hey did we show you this picture of a penis????"

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Clevinger wrote: »

I hope he resigns, then runs for that exact same office.

Then, when he gets re-elected, he can go back to the House and say, while the Reps are all staring at him in disbelief, "Take a picture, it will last longer."

Dracomicron on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    That new "Hip Hop" republican ad is bad. It's "Willie Horton" meets "Don't Copy that Floppy".

Dont make me post the Romney who let the dogs out clip

nexuscrawler on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/250100/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2012-the-awakening#s-p2-sr-i1

This video accurately sums up just how much I love how long the political campaigning goes on.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Clevinger wrote: »

I hope he resigns, then runs for that exact same office.

Then, when he gets re-elected, he can go back to the House and say, while the Reps are all staring at him in disbelief, "Take a picture, it will last longer."

It would not be unprecedented for this exact thing to happen. Ask Milwaukee about Victor Berger sometime.

As for the poll, I'm thinking keep the lineup we had in the last thread, but Gary Johnson comes out and Rick Perry comes in...

Sarah Palin, Alaska
    Herman Cain, Georgia
    Newt Gingrich, Georgia
    Mitt Romney, Massachusetts
    Michelle Bachmann, Minnesota
    Tim Pawlenty, Minnesota
    Rick Santorum, Pennsylvania
    Ron Paul, Texas
    Rick Perry, Texas
    Jon Huntsman Jr., Utah

Remember, though, we're of the kind of mindset to where we need to explicitly ask for either the person we would prefer as President, or the person we'd prefer as Obama's opponent. I say ask for Obama's opponent.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I want Romney, now.

Then, when he snubs Palin and Bachmann for VP, amid his support of proper health care and gay marriage, I want them to enter as a third party duo and found the Tea Party proper.

The Tea Party party.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait.

Santorum is still running?

Wasn't he that guy that crashed and fucking burned on stage during the last debates?

Burtletoy on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    He has to stay in. He has to. More people need to see the narrow minded goosery that dribbles from his word hole on a daily basis.

Which is to say that his opinions are bad and he should feel bad.

Sometimes I think I harp a bit too much on Santorum, then I remember that he considers gay marriage on par with beastiality and incest and I really don't feel bad about saying anything (that is true, if mean spirited) about him at all.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    He has to stay in. He has to. More people need to see the narrow minded goosery that dribbles from his word hole on a daily basis.

Which is to say that his opinions are bad and he should feel bad.

Sometimes I think I harp a bit too much on Santorum, then I remember that he considers gay marriage on par with beastiality and incest and I really don't feel bad about saying anything (that is true, if mean spirited) about him at all.

Either that or he's just staying in the presidential race until his name rises a few more ranks in the google search results.

dojango on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know, Ron Paul keeps insisting that he's not calling for a return to a gold standard, but simply a "competing currency" system where legal tender laws are voided for everything but gold. Which is like saying, "I'm not in favor of segregated schools, just a system where only white people will be allowed to apply. But black kids can still show up. You know, if they want to help the janitor, or something."

But consider for a moment: Ron Paul wants to void all the legal tender status for all the legal tender currently being traded in this nation.

Legal tender, by definition, is a legal invention. The only value that it has is that it's backed by the government. If there is a dollar bill in your hand, then your debtors are legally required to accept it as valid payment. If they don't, then they are breaking the law. People accept money as payment on debt because it would be illegal not to, and they value money because they know that it would be illegal for other people not to accept it. Ron Paul's proposal is to take that legal requirement away, so that people can still trade in dollars, but the government will no longer require that people accept them.

Think of it this way. Most of the US debt is in the form of treasury bonds. Why are treasury bonds valuable? Because the government promises to pay you back in interest. Suppose that Ron Paul proposed that we solve the debt crisis simply by voiding all treasury bonds. You can still trade them if you'd like, but the government will no longer honor them. Your treasury bond that you spent good money on is now worthless.

Ron Paul wants to make all the currency in the nation worthless. Man, I can't see how that would ruin our economy at all!

Schrodinger on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will still be voting for Michele Bachmann. Granted, there's the recent issue with newspapers not being able to spell her name correctly, but I think she came across really strong in the debate and that will carry over to Iowa.

It's Romney's to lose, and he's doing everything he can to make sure that happens.

Even Nate Silver thinks Bachmann had the strongest showing at the Debate.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/debate-swings-door-open-for-perry-closed-for-palin/#more-11749
    The candidate to break news in this debate was Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, who announced that she was running for president. And then she performed strongly throughout, exuding confidence, and turning her service in the House of Representatives from a potential liability (in a field that also includes governors and senators) into a strength (by emphasizing her active role in formulating policy on the major issues of the day).

I think she has a good chance at the nomination if she can keep her crazy in check, and I think watching her try to debate Obama would be the greatest thing ever.

Taramoor on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm still expecting a Romney win, but hoping in my heart for a Palin win.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, these new austerity measures have hit the OP hard!

The thing about Romney is that evangelical types might not vote for a Mormon, so it'll be interesting so see what effect that has...

A Bachmann/Obama debate would be the greatest thing, but I really don't think she has a chance.

jackisreal on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Saw this article over on HuffPo regarding toll-road privatization. With all the rah rah libertarianism coming out of the Republican side, I wonder if we are going to see some more discussion regarding the selling of public infrastructure to private entities who then proceed to gouge the users.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Saw this article over on HuffPo regarding toll-road privatization. With all the rah rah libertarianism coming out of the Republican side, I wonder if we are going to see some more discussion regarding the selling of public infrastructure to private entities who then proceed to gouge the users.

I doubt it. I think Ron Paul and other libertarians are going to stay on the usual message of "government bad", "taxes bad", "heroin good." I can't see too many people getting excited about roads.

There are too many positive freedoms to talk about and too many negative freedoms that they can conveniently ignore.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Screw you Mittens.
    Mitt Romney sat at the head of the table at a coffee shop here on Thursday, listening to a group of unemployed Floridians explain the challenges of looking for work. When they finished, he weighed in with a predicament of his own.

“I should tell my story,” Mr. Romney said. “I’m also unemployed.”

He chuckled. The eight people gathered around him, who had just finished talking about strategies of finding employment in a slow-to-recover economy, joined him in laughter.

“Are you on LinkedIn?” one of the men asked.

“I’m networking,” Mr. Romney replied. “I have my sight on a particular job.”

“I wish I had a job for everybody,” Mr. Romney said at the end of his discussion. He added, “I may be unemployed for longer than I’d like.”

It should be noted that this man has a net worth of over $200 million.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Mitt Romney, man of the people
    TAMPA, Fla. — Mitt Romney sat at the head of the table at a coffee shop here on Thursday, listening to a group of unemployed Floridians explain the challenges of looking for work. When they finished, he weighed in with a predicament of his own.

He chuckled. The eight people gathered around him, who had just finished talking about strategies of finding employment in a slow-to-recover economy, joined him in laughter.

Wikipedia estimates Romney's net worth at between $190 million and $250 million, plus a trust set aside for his grandkids worth between $70 and $100 million.

Edit: fffffffff beaten

big l on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Truly Mitt Romney's lack of employment makes him an everyman. We should all vote for him, the same way we'd all vote for any unemployed guy just trying to get a job making a decent living.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited June 2011
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/treasurer_considering_leaving_turn_right_super_pac_over_offensive_south_park-inspired_ad.php?ref=fpb
    Ehlinger said he called up a modeling agency to get the actress to play the pole dancer on behalf of the "small dinky organization" and got in touch with the rap group Splack Pack (who were "absolutely fun as hell to work with"). They filmed the ad in a day in Atlanta. He dismissed charges that the ad was racist and sexist.

"I was counting on people actually looking at the video and completely misunderstanding it. if you actually watch it carefully, you will notice lots of gangsters," Ehlinger said, pointing to the mugshots of 1920s gangsters featured in the video. "The point being, it is not the amount of melon in their skin that makes them a gang member."

The Splack Pack are featured in the ad singing a version of their original song "Shake That Ass Bitch." Ehlinger told TPM that he wanted to use the song "Let's See You Dance Sucka" featured in an episode of South Park, but learned with a bit of research that song was actually a parody of Splack Pack's tune

Wait...

So he managed to get the original rappers of that song to be in the video?

Granted, if they're like most rappers, they're probably desperate for work, but...

o_O

Schrodinger on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/06/treasurer_considering_leaving_turn_right_super_pac_over_offensive_south_park-inspired_ad.php?ref=fpb
    Ehlinger said he called up a modeling agency to get the actress to play the pole dancer on behalf of the "small dinky organization" and got in touch with the rap group Splack Pack (who were "absolutely fun as hell to work with"). They filmed the ad in a day in Atlanta. He dismissed charges that the ad was racist and sexist.

"I was counting on people actually looking at the video and completely misunderstanding it. if you actually watch it carefully, you will notice lots of gangsters," Ehlinger said, pointing to the mugshots of 1920s gangsters featured in the video. "The point being, it is not the amount of melon in their skin that makes them a gang member."

The Splack Pack are featured in the ad singing a version of their original song "Shake That Ass Bitch." Ehlinger told TPM that he wanted to use the song "Let's See You Dance Sucka" featured in an episode of South Park, but learned with a bit of research that song was actually a parody of Splack Pack's tune

Wait...

So he managed to get the original rappers of that song to be in the video?

Granted, if they're like most rappers, they're probably desperate for work, but...

o_O

So wait... we were ALL correct in the previous thread? Yet somehow we were all wrong at the same time?

Taramoor on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "The point being, it is not the amount of melon in their skin that makes them a gang member."

Cmon!

Also has there ever been a candid, "suck my balls!" said right to the face of a candidate during one of these (mostly) staged events?

Octoparrot on
    edited June 2011
    Screw you Mittens.
    Mitt Romney sat at the head of the table at a coffee shop here on Thursday, listening to a group of unemployed Floridians explain the challenges of looking for work. When they finished, he weighed in with a predicament of his own.

“I wish I had a job for everybody,” Mr. Romney said at the end of his discussion. He added, “I may be unemployed for longer than I’d like.”

Jesus Christ, what a fucking douche bag.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited June 2011

Whut?

Typo? Freudian slip? Or does he honestly not know what the pigment is actually called?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    When was the last time a representative was a serious candidate for president?

Cervetus on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Whut?

Typo? Freudian slip? Or does he honestly not know what the pigment is actually called?

He's just saying that one doesn't need a high body water/melon ratio to metaphorically break into your house and steal your T.V.

Octoparrot on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cervetus wrote: »
    When was the last time a representative was a serious candidate for president?
    Tancredo?

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited June 2011
    Screw you Mittens.

Jesus Christ, what a fucking douche bag.

Next up: Romney walks up to a room full of cancer patients with no health care and announces, "Hey, I'm just like you! I'm not getting treated for cancer either!"

Schrodinger on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At least include the list of PA predictions in the OP!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It seems more like a joke in poor taste than anything, but why would they have "joined him in laughter?" Must have been awkward.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
    edited June 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    It seems more like a joke in poor taste than anything, but why would they have "joined him in laughter?" Must have been awkward.

Because they're morons.

Schrodinger on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At least include the list of PA predictions in the OP!

No room in the forum accessibility budget. Do you know how long I waited to find it up long enough to get that title edited? D:

MKR on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    devCharles wrote: »

I'm a little confused by his statement anyways. Aren't candidates allowed to pay themselves a salary out of their campaign funds? Or is that only for states on a state by state basis?

kildy on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

There's a new toll road being built in Dallas where for the first 6 months it's open, the fare is "not to exceed" something like $1.50 per mile. After that, control is being handed over to some private company who can do whatever they want with the tolls. It's craziness.

edit: How exactly did Santorum flame out in the debates? I haven't been able to keep track as much as I normally would. Anybody have highlights?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/250100/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-indecision-2012-the-awakening#s-p2-sr-i1

This video accurately sums up just how much I love how long the political campaigning goes on.

That was hilarious. Couldn't agree more.

Krieghund on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    stevemarks44 on
This discussion has been closed.