As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PSP Phat Charging Issue

StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a PSP Phat 1001 (Yes, Custom Firmware) that is acting a bit strange. I've only had it for about 6 months, and I did purchase it used. When I connect it to the AC charger, the power light will blink orange quite rapidly, indicating that it is charging on and off. It did not do this prior to a few days ago. It runs fine and handles anything I throw at it. When I remove the AC charger, the battery dies fairly quick. Probably due to it being overclocked, but not quite sure.

When I remove the AC adapter for a few minutes while playing something, I can re-connect it and the power light will remain solid orange for a while, as though it's catching back up with the charge that it lost. If I leave it sitting on my desk with the AC adapter connected and the system turned off, it just constantly blinks orange every second or so. Sign of a failing battery? I believe the battery may be a new one, as it doesn't look anything like the ones that come with the original PSP 1001s. Ideas?

StrifeRaZoR.png
StrifeRaZoR on

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds like a bad battery to me. Could be that they were using a 3rd party battery and it just went south.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    "Overclocking" it wouldn't kill the battery in six months, it would just make it not last as long between charges. It's technically not overclocking either, since the CPU was designed to go up to 333mhz (underclocked to 222mhz or so to save battery life), and on an unmodded PSP certain games make it go to 333mhz (God of War).

With most custom firmwares, you can change the clock speed either by pushing select in the XMB or holding the R shoulder button on boot (NOT when resuming from sleep mode).

As far as replacement batteries, look for an official 2200 mAh one from Sony.

corky842 on
  • StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I priced a few batteries, and they're not that expensive, so I may end up snagging a new one. Just wanted to make sure it was the battery and not some weird planned obsolescence thing. Not that Sony would ever do such a thing....

Thanks guys.

StrifeRaZoR on
    StrifeRaZoR.png
  • corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think I've ever heard of a third-party battery lasting very long. Seriously, the official extended battery is great. I've had mine for a couple years, and I get 8-12 hours on it with my fat (with the lowest brightness setting and running everything from the memory stick).

corky842 on