As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 6-8-11: Good News, Howdy-Do, and Dog Treats All Around!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Graphic Violence
Annihilators #4:

img359.jpg

img360.jpg

Immortus also foretells that Wendell has some big stuff planned for him in the future. Hopefully not at the end of some Bendis story but a DnA one.

Ultimate Spider-Man #159, this makes me think Peter won't really die:

img362.jpg

His identity gets out there publicly, so he's got to go underground or get a new alias.

img361.jpg

img363.jpg

Booster Gold #45, very good issue, Booster does some pretty smart stuff in order to find out what happened to the world....

He sits down at a computer and looks it all up on the internet. It's really smart thinking instead of flying around trying to find answers. And Doomsday in the world is actually being controlled mentally by an old Captain Atom, wowza!

img364.jpg

img365.jpg

That chick seems to have some powers too, but it's vague enough I don't know who her father was.

TexiKen on

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

img362.jpg

His identity gets out there publicly, so he's got to go underground or get a new alias.
    Is it weird that I'm not too bothered at Peter being caught without his mask here? At least in comparison to when it happens in the three Spider-Man movies.

Owenashi on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Owenashi wrote: »

img362.jpg

Is it weird that I'm not too bothered at Peter being caught without his mask here? At least in comparison to when it happens in the three Spider-Man movies.

Nope, because Bendis has been building to this moment for years.
    Think about all of the times he's been unmasked, how all of his major villains know who he is. I'd say that USM has been moving to this moment since the Ultimate Clone Saga when SHIELD landed at his front door with an army.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I <3 Ultimate Aunt May. She better be in either Ultimate Comics X-Men or Ultimate Comics Spider-Man books in the relaunch.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My preliminary MotW is actually being at home and able to hit my LCS. And more specifically, I found Volume 1 of Godland on clearance for half off. Woot. Time to read my singles.

HadjiQuest on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really liked Deadpool #38, and based on the end I have high hopes for #39

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Not really my moment of the week, but definitely a highlight of the week was seeing this little tid-bit in the .1 issue of Ghost Rider:

gr_preview.jpg

Why I do believe thats a bad-ass version of the "New Fantastic Four". Oh so fuck yes.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ultimate Spider-Man and Annihilators both continue to be fantastic. More space stuff soon please!

Also I like how in the Booster art you can tell the woman is greek based on her bone structure and facial features. That's soom good pencilling, especially as quite a few artists would just paint her like a generic white woman and expect the colourist to do the job, if at all.

Solar on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Annihilators #4:

img359.jpg

img360.jpg

Immortus also foretells that Wendell has some big stuff planned for him in the future. Hopefully not at the end of some Bendis story but a DnA one.

img362.jpg

img361.jpg

img363.jpg

Booster Gold #45, very good issue, Booster does some pretty smart stuff in order to find out what happened to the world....

He sits down at a computer and looks it all up on the internet. It's really smart thinking instead of flying around trying to find answers. And Doomsday in the world is actually being controlled mentally by an old Captain Atom, wowza!

img364.jpg

img365.jpg

That chick seems to have some powers too, but it's vague enough I don't know who her father was.

What are you talking about Booster, that sounds exactly like Batman.

noir_blood on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Booster knows Batman doesn't go all out to cripple thugs though.

He and Batman are actually buddies, one of the few that either character has, so I like the idea that Booster thinks well of him and that he wouldn't do all that brutal stuff.

Solar on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    All the comics I got this week were pretty good (although the art on Batman & Robin seemed... off), but my real MOTW was receiving the Absolute Planetary books that I bought some time ago.

Delduwath on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    All the comics I got this week were pretty good (although the art on Batman & Robin seemed... off), but my real MOTW was receiving the Absolute Planetary books that I bought some time ago.

I know right?
    In two panels they even completely changed Todd's hair from red to dirty blonde, then back again.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this arc, mainly because I'm a sucker for Jason Todd as "the Punisher of DC comics" stories.
    I'm also digging the new suit and them bringing Scarlet back for this story line. I can actually see Todd in a more regular nemesis role playing opposite to Dick and Damien, he really could be this Batman's Joker if they developed the character properly.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I know right?
    In two panels they even completely changed Todd's hair from red to dirty blonde, then back again.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this arc, mainly because I'm a sucker for Jason Todd as "the Punisher of DC comics" stories.
    I'm also digging the new suit and them bringing Scarlet back for this story line. I can actually see Todd in a more regular nemesis role playing opposite to Dick and Damien, he really could be this Batman's Joker if they developed the character properly.

It seem's like we know that won't happen. What with the DC reboot and all.

Silver_Mage on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I know right?

It seem's like we know that won't happen. What with the DC reboot and all.

Oh right. I keep forgetting that we are at the beggining of Crisis on Infinite Earths 2: This time, just the one Earth. I just don't feel like they're serious about this, it feels like they're doing the same thing to the DC Universe that they did to Wonder Woman and that it'll all eventually revert back to normal.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    best panel from a Transformers comic in a long, long, loooong time
    Idw20-bobthefriendlyinsecticon.jpg

also picked up the last three trades of Starman for two dollars each
    just need to locate volumes 2-6

Antimatter on
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That last panel of Cosmo from Annihilators is now my desktop picture.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    best panel from a Transformers comic in a long, long, loooong time
    Idw20-bobthefriendlyinsecticon.jpg

also picked up the last three trades of Starman for two dollars each
    just need to locate volumes 2-6

I just want Costa to keep writing about the ill-advised adventures of Rodimus and Ironhide from now on.

MastaP on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    frankly, I'd be fine with nothing but Autobots fighting the Insecticon swarm

that was the best thing to come out of All Hail Megatron

Antimatter on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    James Stokoe is a mad, manic genius. Observe. His blog, like his comix, is completely Not Safe for Work.

Not only does he give One Eye a huge ass hammer (I was hoping for that, because I think the idea of dudes smashing shit with big hammers is AWESOME, despite having no idea what The Worthy actually is), he created Spider-Nam.

The things this man draws to entertain himself, that don't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting published, are so damn mind-blowing. Maybe Spider-Nam will get picked up for a future volume of Strange Tales Max.

DouglasDanger on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My MOTW: the bottom-right panel on the cover of Deadpool #38.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No scans this week, as I don't have my scanner and photo editing software at the moment, but here's some stuff I bought.

Fear Itself: Fearsome Four #1; Poorly written, and sometimes poorly drawn. But, Simon fuckin' Bisley has three pages in it, and that's amazing.

There's also a great bit where Nighthawk basically acts like All-Star Batman. It makes no sense, given Nighthawk's last appearance in The Last Defenders, but it's kind of a fun take on the character.

Booster Gold #45; Dan Jurgens, I did not miss you. However, I kind of like Nathaniel Adam's role in the Flashpoint Universe, even though I wish he didn't come across as so maniacal.

Ghost Rider .1; I decided to try something new with this, and ehhh-- it's alright. Matthew Clark's art is awesome, better even than his Doom Patrol work, likely due to the inker and colorist.

Story-wise, I wasn't really crazy about it. It seems like something I've read before; the cursed hero hates his life, is approached by a mysterious stranger appears to offer some suspect aid, and the mysterious stranger is revealed to possibly not be so benevolent in his intentions. I'm going to check out the first issue, but this was really lacking that crazy grindhouse quality that made Jason Aaron's run so fun.

Fear Itself: Deadpool #1; This was super-fun. In a nutshell, the story follows Deadpool as he crafts his own "magic" hammer, bequeaths it to a small town's F-list supervillain that's both goofy and kind of scary due to his immense stupidity, and makes plans to charge then defeat said F-list supervillain, earning the town's gratitude. Well, and their money.

Chris Hastings nails Deadpool's voice, and demonstrates the ability to tell a story in 22 pages, which I was a little worried about. I'd really like to see him take over the main Deadpool book, if he could maintain this level of quality. And Bong Dazo's art is, as always, just brilliant. Go check it out.

Deadpool #38; Deadpool's still trying to get the Hulk to kill him. I'm not sure why he doesn't just go fuck with Doctor Doom. Also, this thing's incredibly decompressed, to the point that I feel a little ripped off.

Still, Bong Dazo also drew this issue, so it looked amazing, and the final page actually built some serious anticipation for next issue.

Probably the biggest surprise of the week, was 15 Love #1, the story of a teenage Millie the Model, as the worst player at a Tennis Academy. Forced to either win her next game, or be exiled from the Academy, she hires a once-great, now not-so-great tennis coach, to help her achieve glory.

I tend to enjoy slice-of-life books, so it's no huge surprise that I liked this. It's pretty generic, with a plot that could have been lifted from any loser-makes-good sports movie of the past couple decades. But it's also pretty sharp and funny, pointing out how creepy it is for a teenage girl to be hanging out with a weird old dude, and ending on a major downer, that I'm curious to see resolved next issue.

My only major problem with it is the art. I have no problem with manga-styled art, but much of this just looks lazy, and fails to communicate the ideas put forth in Andi Watson's script. For instance, the tennis coach, who's insinuated through the dialogue to seem really weird and creepy, instead just looks a bit slovenly. And the protagonist, who's meant to undergo an ugly duckling-to-swan metamorphosis, just changes her hair and puts on a little lipstick.

Still, if you've got $4.99 burning a hole in your pocket, and want to read what's basically Archie in the Marvel U, check it out.

Munch on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Deadpool's still trying to get the Hulk to kill him. I'm not sure why he doesn't just go fuck with Doctor Doom.

Doom can do a whole bunch of things to people who fuck with him that don't involve killing them.

Plus, inevitable Dr. Kevorkian jokes. TOO SOON, MAN.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited June 2011
    There's also a great bit where Nighthawk basically acts like All-Star Batman. It makes no sense, given Nighthawk's last appearance in The Last Defenders, but it's kind of a fun take on the character.

I did find that humourous if a tad jarring. He was far more earnest and boy-scoutish in that Initiative Defenders mini he had. Also, did I totally miss a middle-aged, black Nighthawk at some point? There seems to be one in his little re-cap.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited June 2011
    See, that was the weird thing. That guy (Joaquin, a young SHIELD agent) was introduced in The Last Defenders, where Kyle Richmond basically guided him into accepting the role of Nighthawk, with Richmond deciding to retire his costume, and serve as an overseer for the new team of Defenders.

Fearsome Four totally disregards that, and makes it seem like Captain America and Iron Man forcefully stripped his costumed identity from him. It's like the writer made the effort to reference The Last Defenders, but just kind of glazed over it, or misconstrued what was happening.

Like I said, I thought it was poorly written.

I mean, in that All-Star Nighthawk scene, he says something like, "Only cowards use fear as a weapon," and then two pages later talks about how fear is a powerful weapon, and he's going to use it. I guess it could be chalked up to everyone acting crazy, but he seemed pretty level-headed in the following pages.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    15 Love, how tennisy is it? That's kind of what I want to read about, but it seems more like a backdrop for the story than actually caring about the sport.

TexiKen on
    edited June 2011
    I'd say it emphasizes tennis about as much as any other sports manga. I mean, the first issue has 19 pages featuring the protagonist either playing tennis, or training to play tennis.

But, there's not much talk about the specifics of the game, or anything like that.

Munch on
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah! The SHIELD Agent just looks a hell of lot older than I remember that character being in the Last Defenders. You know, now that I actually remember that character at all. Also, do we know if that's Ulysses Bloodstones man-servent Frankenstein or Howling Commandos Frankenstein?

Anyways, I really hope the writing stops being all over the place so I can enjoy this series like I really, really want to.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Deadpool #38; Deadpool's still trying to get the Hulk to kill him. I'm not sure why he doesn't just go fuck with Doctor Doom. Also, this thing's incredibly decompressed, to the point that I feel a little ripped off.
    Doom didn't kill him in Doomwar, and I'd say that was plenty of reason for Doom to seek Wade's demise.
    And the protagonist, who's meant to undergo an ugly duckling-to-swan metamorphosis, just changes her hair and puts on a little lipstick.
    Since it stars Millie, I almost have to wonder if this is bad art or a clever jab at the fact that this is the motif of every movie and tv show where the "ugly" girl is a hot actress with glasses and her hair put up.

In which case, it's awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

tumblr_lmoqli9Pj01qafrh6.jpg

Green on
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Green wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »

tumblr_lmoqli9Pj01qafrh6.jpg

RAPEFACE.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Trulkface

Green on