As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Armageddon Death Squad

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Apparently that Gojira EP is going to be out in September. Uh huh, they've only been working on it since March last year and it's not like we haven't already heard one of the five tracks on it. I love Gojira, but this is just getting ridiculous.

Tav on
  • hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    New Mastodon!? Yes!

MOAR HEAVY??!! YES PLEASE, SATAN!!

hanskey on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The new Tyr is excellent. I believe that is all.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2011
    Hey how's things with the band Bolthorn? Have you guys been touring/playing some shows recently?

What about you other dudes in bands? How's life on the road?

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Man, I'm too old and we play viking-ish metal in central Ohio. Our audience is no one. Haha.

We're mixing the new album. I believe the last mix will be the final one. I freaking hope so. I think I've done like 4 or 5 different ones by now. Going to get like 50 pressed and toss it up online as well. Going to start putting the back catalog up on bandcamp as well. We just lost our bass player so shows are probably out for awhile. The band has always been the drummer and I with a steady rotating lineup of a few of the other black metalheads in Columbus until the realise I'm a massive pain in the ass to work with; or you get people that disappear for months on end without any communication. Man, keeping a steady full lineup together has been a nightmare. So, as long as the drummer and I want to keep at it, we'll just write and record I suppose. Pulling a Darkthrone/Satyricon thing.

I did a small tour in Poland as a guitar for hire and I think that was enough of a taste of the road for me. It might be better in bigger bands though. It was fun, but when I got home I slept for 2 days straight I was so exhausted.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2011
    That's rough, and I'm pulling for you guys. I understand that quite a few tours also don't make money for a band, either.

hanskey on
  • I N V I C T U SI N V I C T U S Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, this totally sneaked up on me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivx1HrKqMpQ

Fuzzy, melancholy doom/sludge. Very interesting use of the violin as the lead instrument.

I N V I C T U S on
    BY THE HOARY FUCKING HOSTS!
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Great interview with Soundgarden's Kim Thayil for anyone interested
    STEREOGUM: I realize it’s very early on in the process, but what can you say about the new songs?

KIM THAYIL: The vibe of the songs is definitely very heavy. We’ve always tried to explore how to make this really heavy, aggressive music without sounding like a bunch of knuckle-dragging meatheads. I think these songs are kind of exploring that idea. Ways of emoting aggression and anger and hostility in ways that feel new. You know, we never were really chipper guys. We were never the party band, or even a particularly social band. We were always really just hard workers and a kind of musician’s band. That’s what we wanted to be that. We wanted to play for an audience that reminded us of ourselves back when we were young, I always liked the idea that our fans were that guy or girl who collected records and wanted to start a band of their own and play good music. I always imagined we were the band that made the party end. Like, ok guys it’s time to leave now, someone just put on Superunknown! I always felt like we made music that was good for driving, good for listening to really loud. Wait, does that answer your question at all? The new songs sound really heavy. I’ll just say that.

I bolded the part I most agree with. Louder Than Love is a fantastic album to drive around to.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, the new Decapitated isn't quite the nightmare I had expected, but they've fallen a long way since Winds of Creation.

I finally got the chance to give some serious listens to Ghost Opus Eponymous, and I found that I do rather enjoy it, like a mix of Mercyful Fate with 70s metal, a little bit of a doom vibe. I'm not sure that it's quite so good as many have said, but it's catchy.

Also, there's a new album from The Book of Knots for all you Sleepytime Gorilla Museum freaks.

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    Devin Townsend is playing here in November and is being supported by..... Turisas?

Um, ok...

o_O

Tav on
    edited June 2011
    To me that sounds awesome.

Bolthorn on
    edited June 2011
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I am really looking forward to it but what a strange combination. I never would have pictured those two bands playing together. As soon as someone said Dev, I was hoping that it'd be Gojira or Meshuggah or someone...

I'm not disappointed, just surprised. It'll be nice seeing Turisas seeing as how the last time they were here it was opening for Dragonforce and Powerglove.

Tav on
    edited June 2011
    Tav wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I am really looking forward to it but what a strange combination. I never would have pictured those two bands playing together. As soon as someone said Dev, I was hoping that it'd be Gojira or Meshuggah or someone...

I'm not disappointed, just surprised. It'll be nice seeing Turisas seeing as how the last time they were here it was opening for Dragonforce and Powerglove.

I saw that tour up on Cleveland, and by saw that tour up in Cleveland I mean I walked in during the middle of Powerglove's set, bought a beer, watched Turisas come out and be great as always and then left to drive back home to Columbus.

"There's no re-entry!"
    "We know. We came to see Turisas. Dragonforce sucks."

Bolthorn on
  • CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was surprised that the new Decapitated didn't suck as much as the leaked song implied. It was decent aside from a couple of songs, but nothing to get worked up over. Better check out that new Book of Knots.

Thumbs up Bolthorn

Candlemass on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • AdrenalineAdrenaline Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Damn I love that song so fucking much

Adrenaline on
    I will show you fear in a handful of dust
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    iTunes makes it so easy to add album art to my music!

master.jpg

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited June 2011
    Eh, I love Ramin Djawadi's original version of the Game of Thrones main title, but that metal one was a little boring layered over it.

Sadly, the rest of the score, while functional, is not all that special (a general trait of the guy's writing). I'm still impressed though, he's the same age as I and has gotten tons of sound track gigs.

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I like the original one better as well. I was referring more to the original version than the cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxc0EQiwngE

Adrenaline on
    edited June 2011
    I know. If I wasn't a broke asshole I'd have it as my ringtone.

Adrenaline on
    edited June 2011
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PW-ASG.jpg

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That is some bad ass cover art.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    In addition to being a pretty damn good album.

Actually I like their first three. (A Social Grace - Into the Everflow - Mosquito).

autothrall on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I found a copy of Risk's Dirty Surfaces today, picked it up when I saw that Auto gave it a favorable review Metal Archives. I enjoy what I heard! It's got some really kick-ass lead work and the production is solid. Definitely glad I found it.

Also picked up Cavalera Conspiracy's Inflikted, hope it's good.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    edited June 2011
    I saw that you gave that one exceptional praise, so I'll definitely pick it up.

What's with the first few album covers though? Totally betrays the contents of the album. Not that I'm knocking them, they're just... goofy.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    Eh, that sort of thing was just common then, to have mascots (they use the animals on a few of the covers). They did later drop them, when they took on a different style (the last 2 albums).

autothrall on
    edited June 2011
    Yeah. I just saw the album sitting at the used record store and kinda sat there looking at it. "The logo... suggests metal. But I'm not sure what the rest of it suggests". I had to google it and then I found your Metal Archives review.

Sure enough, the entire discography got reviewed on FtDR, hence why I kinda recognized it. Durr...

Just listened through Inflikted, it is fucking heavy. Loved it. Gonna be getting some attention this week I think.

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited June 2011
    oh shi', didn't realise there was a new A Storm Of Light out

Tav on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just got my hands on All Spawns, the reissue of Appalling Spawn's demo + full length. A review is in the works.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
    edited June 2011
    Tight! I enjoy the Appalling Spawn recording that I have.

hanskey on
    edited June 2011
    Au revoir, Florida. I did realize I hadn't reviewed the first Gigan record, but I don't feel like it. More excited for the next project.

autothrall on
  • WalriWalri Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I went on the road for the first time this past weekend - drove from northern VA to Blacksburg, played 6 sets of music, met some cute girls, drove back. Will be playing in the OBX for a couple of days next week.
    hanskey wrote: »
    Do you think there is an unexplored space for improvisation within metal?

Obviously it would be ridiculously hard to play, though no harder than jazz, but do you think there is a structural issue that makes metal incompatible with improvisation, or is it just a matter of common practice and convenience?

Improv already happens to some extent in metal. I can think of a few guitarists who improvise their solos in the studio without any real preparation (Brent Hinds of Mastodon, for example).

As for the live side of things, I think the best place for real jazz-like improv sessions would be in more proggy bands, like Dream Theater maybe? A lot of soloists in general tend to go away from the studio versions of their solos and come up with something completely different. I remember when I saw Maiden, Dave Murray took this one note of the "Number of the Beast" solo and just sent it into the stratosphere, and held it there for a solid 4 bars at least. Totally unexpected and not what the actual record features. It was a total "holy shit how long is he gonna hold that note for" moment and the rest of the band just kept chugging behind him, it was great.

I think if I were to go back and start improvising in the metal idiom like I did in high school, it would be more geared around improvising songs that sounded like they were written out beforehand rather than taking solos. Not that there wouldn't be solos. I've just always loved the idea of improvising a coherent piece from whole cloth... what J. S. Bach used to do back in the day (and Keith Jarrett does now in his solo piano concerts). Free improvisation doesn't have to be avant-garde sounding necessarily, which I think a lot of the "free jazz" crowd forget.

I started a band called Watercraeft in high school with that goal (though it wasn't limited to metal), but it never took off, more or less because I couldn't find a bass player...

Walri on
    Truly Grim and Frost-Bitten Cooking Thread
    Walri: I made a sandwich and lemonade today, they were both disgusting. I don't know how I do it, I need my mom to get back from vacation so I can make her prepare my food.
    Iconslaughter: That was probably the most metal thing you've ever said.
  • Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

I got them all to sign the full LP last Wednesday. Singer/guitraist was wearing a Joy Division shirt and the bassist a Neurosis shirt. They had the whole backlit projection thing with film footage going on during the show with Tombs. Great stuff.

Onslaught_Fei on
    XBL: Onslaught Fei
    edited June 2011

I got them all to sign the full LP last Wednesday. Singer/guitraist was wearing a Joy Division shirt and the bassist a Neurosis shirt. They had the whole backlit projection thing with film footage going on during the show with Tombs. Great stuff.

Ffffffffffff, how were Tombs? I'm seeing them supporting The Secret in a tiny pub (Like, 70 people) in August and I cannot wait.

Tav on
  • Onslaught_FeiOnslaught_Fei Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

Ffffffffffff, how were Tombs? I'm seeing them supporting The Secret in a tiny pub (Like, 70 people) in August and I cannot wait.

Tombs were great. Really cool dudes to talk with.

July is kind dry here in Oklahoma, I might go see Yes. Otherwise Holy Grail, Toxic Holocaust, Macabre, and Withered in August.

Onslaught_Fei on
    XBL: Onslaught Fei
    edited June 2011

Tombs were great. Really cool dudes to talk with.

July is kind dry here in Oklahoma, I might go see Yes. Otherwise Holy Grail, Toxic Holocaust, Macabre, and Withered in August.

I caught some of Macabre when they were here. Pretty cool.

I wish I had money for all the gigs coming up. I fucking hate being an unemployed student. It really seems to be a case of gigs or eating. Atheist this Friday, Dublin Doom Day, Primordial, Tombs, Hail Of Bullets, Neurosis, Devin Townsend, Tombs, Iron Maiden, two Slough Feg gigs (One normal, one acoustic), Trap Them/Toxic Holocaust/Kvelertak, This Will Destroy You, First Blood, Wormrot and all of the local gigs going on too... It's rather painful that I'm probably going to have to pick and choose.

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.