As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suddenly Without Speakers: Computer Problems

alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk manMy milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
edited June 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
The other day my laptop decided to just stop playing sound through the speakers. The only sound that comes out of them now is if the power is super low and I bring it out of shutdown without plugging the power cord in.

Headphones work fine.

It's a refurbished Dell Studio XPS 1640, never had any troubles before this.

Runs on Vista 64-bit service pack 2

Audio is handled on:
ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio- ATI AA01
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Rebooting doesn't fix the issue, so I'm curious what will.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
alternatingAberration on

• alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any ideas at all?

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Try adjusting the sound level outputs in the volume control.

Then if that doesn't work kill the windows sound mixer and then restart from the services menu?

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Glirk DientGlirk Dient Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Try the speakers in another computer. If the headphones work fine it doesn't sound like a software issue related to sound output. Most likely hardware.

Also check the speaker wire, perhaps it is breaking/bad.

Glirk Dient on
    XBL gamertag: GlurkDient
    Steam Username:Glirk_Dient
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    None of that worked, but for some reason earlier today I happened to play a video while the headphones were out and it decided to work. So, solved?

Goddamn, microsoft.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    If the issue crops up again, another possibility is that the headphone jack itself is messed up, and is on its way toward only playing sound through the headphones for THAT reason. This happened on my Game Boy Pocket (stopped letting me use the speaker, only let me use headphones) many years ago, and I'd imagine it could still happen today if one were unlucky enough. This presumes that your speakers have been working perfectly and you've never heard any 'pop' sound from them (which would make it more likely that the speakers themselves were dying), which was how it was in my case.

Essee on