As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E PbP Recruiting CLOSED] Curse of the Black Pearls

12345679»

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm waiting with baited breath.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So I have absolutely terrible news, today my computer fatally fell over and will not even start. Due to this games conception and design being done before I had backed things up fully, I've pretty much lost all the work I've done on it. To add insult to injury, I don't have a computer anymore and so I cannot get online reliably except through this machine. The machine I am currently using takes over 40 minutes to load up, cannot handle maptools (sadly) or gimp. So I am left with very little recourse right now unfortunately in terms of reliable computing options. This basically means I cannot start the game today as planned and I don't know when I can in the forseeable future (getting the machine fixed in the short term is going to prove problematic).

I am really sorry about this. It's quite possibly the worst timing I have had for anything. And yes for the record and those keeping count this is the sixth time my computer has fallen over. My recommendation? Don't buy a fucking toshiba.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh my..

Aegeri, my heart. I'm still down for this game whenever you can run it however.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aw, shit....

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So I have absolutely terrible news, today my computer fatally fell over and will not even start. Due to this games conception and design being done before I had backed things up fully, I've pretty much lost all the work I've done on it. To add insult to injury, I don't have a computer anymore and so I cannot get online reliably except through this machine. The machine I am currently using takes over 40 minutes to load up, cannot handle maptools (sadly) or gimp. So I am left with very little recourse right now unfortunately in terms of reliable computing options. This basically means I cannot start the game today as planned and I don't know when I can in the forseeable future (getting the machine fixed in the short term is going to prove problematic).

I am really sorry about this. It's quite possibly the worst timing I have had for anything. And yes for the record and those keeping count this is the sixth time my computer has fallen over. My recommendation? Don't buy a fucking toshiba.

Haarshhh!
    I use this case. It is heavy as fuck and nothing will knock it over, ever. Maybe not what you're looking for, but it's done me right.

Do you have a solution planned to at least get you back on your feet?

If your system is just not booting, that very well may be an issue completely independent from your drives, so with luck none of your goods will be lost.

Hopefully this campaign will happen someday, good luck with everything in the mean time.

edit: It's the Curse! The Curse of the Black Pearls!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I will run the game once I get my computer fixed. I have no intention of not doing that, it just makes life immensely difficult for me in the short term (also means I cannot run either of my two maptools games either!). I have selected the party though and such forth by this point, but now there isn't a game to start! So that is frustrating. None the less, it would not be cool at all not to inform those who got in at this point! We shall start once I get a functional computer and can write the OP fully. Anyway, here are those who got into the game and will be starting once I have a functional machine again! I thank everyone for their time and submissions, some of these choices were immensely difficult to make - especially the defender. The defender position was the absolute closest margin out of everything.

Defender: Aiden Baail: Human Swordmage Wizard's Apprentice
    Why? Ultimately it was a two horse race at the end and I picked the swordmage by the narrowest of margins. I feel the swordmage is a very "piratey" defender and would work very well. In my own little playtest, the shielding swordmage impressed me and did a really good job - especially with the ability to stay at range. Ultimately the reason Aiden edged the competition was the addition of the aurum into the backstory. I had been thinking about other villainous groups to include in the game and the Aurum were a really good

Strikers were contentious positions as well, but ultimately I decided to pick two strikers for the party.

First Striker: Obsidian, Razorclaw Shifter
    Why? I like avengers personally as a striker, plus as a striker that used a spear naturally it fit with certain events in the games overall story arc.

Second Striker: Pock Wrilyn, Gnome Sorcerer
    Why? Looking over the submissions, I felt this character would fit well into the party as more of an oddball to the generally more serious backgrounds - without feeling too much like over parody of any sort.

Leader's weren't actually that contentious for me as I had a clear idea as to what kind of leader I thought would work well in this game. It shouldn't be a huge surprise that I gravitated towards the bards naturally and finally picked this character.

Leader: Meriele Fatesinger, Eladrin Bard
    Why? Because this game will eventually go roaming if it gets to higher tiers, I liked the potential background links to the Eladrin feyspires a lot. That's a particular element I can use perhaps later on in the game if required. Mechanically, I love bards and think they are really solid leaders - plus I can't think of anything more pirate themed than a bard!

The final or "Fifth man" was a very hard choice. My options were basically a sentinel (secondary leader), hybrid (to fill multiple potential gaps) or a dedicated controller. After some thought, I went with a dedicated controller as the parties seemed to play better with one. This was another very close race as well, with arguably the most difficult decision between about five characters in the end. The margin wasn't as obscenely narrow as the defender, but there weren't that many hairs between one character and another here.

Controller: Gerdan Soldorak, Dwarf Invoker
    Why? I liked the character concept a lot and the mark of detection (which as I wrote in the OP will be considered aberrant) will allow for interesting interactions with my other games events: Dark Prophecy (Both games are considered to be on the same timeline, so events in Dark Prophecy *will* begin to influence this game in some ways and vice versa). Mechanically I've never seen an invoker in play, so I was especially excited to actually have one in the party and so that contributed somewhat to edging out the other (very close running) controllers I picked. During playtests the resistance to forced movement and extra hardiness (second wind as a minor) the dwarf provides was most useful. So Gerdan got the position after a tough fight.

So that's pretty much the party! Sorry that I can't get my OP and such up to start today. As soon as I have a functional computer again, I would guess next week would be the prospective start date we shall get going! Thanks again to everyone that applied and I hope someone else starts another game (or two, from the looks of things). Once I have everything sorted, I will PM the people who got in with further details on the game as well.

Edit: One thing that should be noted, was that being without a DnD game to play (running was another story) was probably one of the most decisive factors in my decisions. I got some excellent submissions from some people here, but unfortunately I ultimately the points difference from the OP made it so that people without a game were basically the only horses in the race. The way the points worked was every role had a "pool" of points, each submission reducing the pool downwards. The result is pretty much a scrap over a limited resource, with those without DnD and such getting a boost to the points they had - pretty much ensuring an insurmountable lead.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sorry to hear your computer made a suicidal leap for freedom Aegeri. Thank you for inclusion into the game, and I look forward to the day when technology is no longer your enemy.

... your computer wouldn't happen to have been named "Marvin", would it?

Alt question: you wouldn't happen to work for Cyberdyne, would you?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yay Pock! And sucks about your PC Aegeri! I am sending missives to the dark computer gods to get yours fixed and ready to go as soon as possible!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, It's exciting to see that Aiden won the defender role by the skin of his teeth! I'll get to work on an Orkos sheet for him.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Congratulations to the chosen. I hope the technical difficulties get resolved soon.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's not really technology, it's more that Toshiba laptop was trouble from day 1. It's first failure was literally 6 days after I bought it, the thing bluescreened and 3 days later it then promptly had a hard drive failure. It was back in the store being repaired just over a week after I got the thing.

This has been a recurring habit of that machine ever since and really, it's about time I get a new computer somehow.

Edit: Until I get my machine fixed, expect me to post very sporadically over the next few days as well sorry :(

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MaxFrostMaxFrost Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Note: Laptops makes horrible day to day machines. I know lots of people love using them, but until they make it easier to replace parts aside from dumping the entire machine, desktops will always roost in my house.

Aegeri: Once I saw your point system, I knew I had pretty much no chance, but still, I had to try. I'd love to be a backup player in case someone drops out. Also, feel free to use Seshuna as a bit player! While I still want to play a dragonborn dragon sorcerer somewhere, I'm not going to be using the Seshuna persona anywhere else (at least, I don't think so). Really, I was aiming for a colorful islander type who didn't take things very seriously, and was a bit aloof. Hell, I'd be honored if he kept the crew fed and never got to fight! (as he wouldn't be a PC, he'd be...*gasp* normal.

MaxFrost on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh so the DnD insider doesn't have the downloadable character generator anymore? That sucks.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    b0b52000b0b52000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    God speed, I'll follow this eagerly, bad luck about the computer, hope it gets better!

b0b52000 on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Cripes, that's a really crappy thing to happen....six times!? Man, Aegeri, I hope your new computer is much less prone to needing necromancy than this last one. I of course look forward to you getting up and running again.

That said, I'm incredibly excited my Bard character got chosen and I look forward to playing in this game with everyone and getting up to shenanigans on the high seas!

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh, sure, Aegeri, put me last. I see how it is. :P

Glad that I got in, and looking forward to this game quite a bit. Sorry about your computer. Here's what the party looks like, with linked character sheets, if you want to add it to the OP for the official game:

Aiden Baail, Human Swordmage

Obsidian, Razorclaw Shifter Avenger

Pock Wrylaw, Gnome Sorceror

Meriele Fatesinger, Eladrin Bard

Gerdan Soldorak, Dwarf Invoker

I don't have an Insider subscription, so I can't use an Orokos character sheet, but I can probably borrow a friend's computer and use his if that would make things easier. Let me know.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ahh, laptop. That case I linked wouldn't help you any ;p

Congrats to the party members!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I don't have an Insider subscription, so I can't use an Orokos character sheet, but I can probably borrow a friend's computer and use his if that would make things easier. Let me know.

You can also make one with the output from the offline character builder. I have an old version of it that I still use from time to time. I had intended to update it (as recommended within this thread), when supposedly the content updates were locked behind a paywall, so I'm still just using the baseline (last updated) version.

Not ideal, especially if you're using more recent stuff, but it would at least let you get something onto Orokos.

Forar on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

You can also make one with the output from the offline character builder. I have an old version of it that I still use from time to time. I had intended to update it (as recommended within this thread), when supposedly the content updates were locked behind a paywall, so I'm still just using the baseline (last updated) version.

Not ideal, especially if you're using more recent stuff, but it would at least let you get something onto Orokos.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368249

Not anymore. It's viewable again.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the heads up.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alright, I think I got my character sheet made up. Do we PM them to you or just post them in the thread?

Toxin01 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    You can just post it up in the thread.

Aegeri on