As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

4 legs and a flat top, that's all I want.

2»

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I might actually do the door with saw horses. I might paint it crazy colors!.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know when me and my friends had a need for some tables we bought a sixteen foot section of bowling alley lane and approach and cut it into the desired lengths, fitted a support frame underneath and attached 4x4 legs.

They may weigh as much as a collapsing star but the first table was able to support something along the lines of 800 pounds of weight and not have any signs of structural failure. Think all said an done each table cost about 50 bucks. We mainly did this because Ikea weirds me out and there isn't one for like 200 miles.

Hambrabai on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hambrabai wrote: »
    I know when me and my friends had a need for some tables we bought a sixteen foot section of bowling alley lane and approach and cut it into the desired lengths, fitted a support frame underneath and attached 4x4 legs.

They may weigh as much as a collapsing star but the first table was able to support something along the lines of 800 pounds of weight and not have any signs of structural failure. Think all said an done each table cost about 50 bucks. We mainly did this because Ikea weirds me out and there isn't one for like 200 miles.

Where did you find that? Was a bowling alley going out of business/remodeling? Or is there some sort of supply place to go to?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Corvus wrote: »
    Alternative idea. Get a sheet of plywood or an old interior door. Lay across two saw-horses.

Instant desk.

Interior doors are usually hollow or paneled, both bad for a desk. Any flat, solid core door should work magically.

Lots of old interior doors from the 80s or older are flat, and a hollow door shouldn't be a problem unless you're planning on putting a ton of heavy crap on it. And old exterior door would work too though.

Bonus with a door is that the doornob hole is perfect for cable management.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Alternative idea. Get a sheet of plywood or an old interior door. Lay across two saw-horses.

Instant desk.

Interior doors are usually hollow or paneled, both bad for a desk. Any flat, solid core door should work magically.

Lots of old interior doors from the 80s or older are flat, and a hollow door shouldn't be a problem unless you're planning on putting a ton of heavy crap on it. And old exterior door would work too though.

How would one go about screwing legs into a hollow door?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    HambrabaiHambrabai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hambrabai wrote: »

Where did you find that? Was a bowling alley going out of business/remodeling? Or is there some sort of supply place to go to?

Our local alley was switching to synthetic lanes and was replacing their 1950's era lanes. They were selling it for next to nothing so we bought a section. My grandfather built a similar table using a section of gymnasium flooring twenty or so years ago and it's fairly common to see a school replacing their wood floors around here.

Hambrabai on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

Instant desk.

Orange'd for answering the question. :P

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, you're a mechanic? Couldn't you just weld together a classy piece of metal and glass?

Bagginses on
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Instant desk.

Orange'd for answering the question. :P

Eh. I don't consider that stable enough to put a few grand worth of computer equipment on, but to each their own I guess.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My computer desk is a door resting on two sawhorses with a thick piece of glass over the top. Maybe more time consuming than you'd want but I love it.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but you could check around locally for artisan carpenters; you might be able to get a classy looking custom piece for about what you'd pay for a quality desk anyway.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Costco >>> Ikea

or at least I got my desk there for cheaper than Ikea and it's better

poo
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Well, for an update.

I settle on the door and saw horse thing.

This door, though, is fucking massive, 3 feet by 8 feet. This thing is solid too. It took me like 40 minutes to drag this sucker inside. Also, whatever they used to coat this door is waterproof. So spills isn't an issue.