As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Space Alert owns. Like, a lot.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's on.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    For 38thDoe (and a reminder to everyone else): you have to click the button at the top/middle to display the chat over there. Mouse-over the buildings in the stock to see what they do (sadly, once you purchase them you can no longer do that). And there is no undo feature, so be sure you mean what you click on.

edit: And I see you already discovered this. Never mind!

Darian on
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Grain wrote: »
    pic746581_md.jpg

Here's the BGG link to Earth Reborn.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/73171/earth-reborn

It looks friggin awesome...like an updated version of Space Hulk. If you like tactical mini's games like Battletech then this game is for you.

I've been looking into this game myself abit as I want a minis tactical boardgame and while it looks really good, I'll probably end up eventually going with Battles of Westeros due to the theme being more accessible for my group.

For anyone that is interested in a really good review of the game here you goDrakkenstrike

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So, I have been reading a ton about Space Alert since this thread mentioned it. And it looks amazing. My wife and I love co-op board games (Pandemic and Forbidden Island get played a ton in our house).

So..... important question, Is Space Alert fun with two people?

We could get 4 people occasionally and 3 more than that, but 2 is the most common number of players we would have for it.

I haven't played with 2p but it sounds like not so much fun. However there is a fanmade expansion called Little Duckling that shrinks down the board and weakens the threats so that you can actually play with one/two people without having to resort to androids. It looks really good.

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Picked up Space Alert on this thread's recommendation. Basic concept seems solid. Four of us played the first two tutorials in the book, then the first "real" tutorial mission. Hoooly crap, good times. Sort of like Robo Rally meets Pandemic, plus resource management.

...our final score was zero, though. Heh. Looking forward to playing with the full set of rules (still haven't added internal or advanced threats).
    One of our group also ordered Space Alert after I transcribed this thread's info on it into our email thread.
    Yes! YES!!

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And out of nowhere (heh), AEG's new release for GenCon: Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan.
    The game centers around one very dangerous night at a castle in the provinces of the Lion Clan. Honorable Lion samurai stand vigilant watch around the castle, protecting it from harm. The Scorpion Clan sends one well trained ninja to infiltrate the castle for nefarious purposes… it may be to assassinate an imperial guest under the Lion’s protection, or poison the well, or steal the daimyo’s war plans for the coming season. Whatever the goal, the ninja has vowed to accomplish it, or die trying. Worse yet for the Lion Clan, the ninja has an accomplice: a traitor among the ranks of the Lion samurai whose true loyalty lies with the Scorpion.

The intruders move in secret, marking their positions on a small copy of the game board. They can move freely, but the faster they move, the easier they are to detect. Moats, walls, and most especially sentries all serve to hamper their movement. And if a guard stumbles across their position, the alarm will be raised!

The guards must listen for intruders, search the area, and rouse additional guards when they think there’s trouble.

All this is handled through the Alarm Level. As incidents occur, the Alarm Level rises, allowing the guard player to take more actions each turn. Over time, the Alarm Level gradually diminishes… until a new incident raises suspicions once more. All this is handled through card play, but deductive reasoning and intuition will also be required to find the intruders before they can complete their missions and escape.

Although time and numbers weigh in the guards’ favor, the intruders have tricks aplenty. Climbing ropes, shuriken, drugged sake, and other tricks will distract the guards… or eliminate them completely. But of course, each such action may raise the Alert Level, as well as give the guard player a clue to your location.

The guards have their own secrets, of course. The intruders don’t know the precise location of their mission targets, and while searching for them, they may stumble upon a nightingale floor that gives a telltale squeak, or even a hidden guard ready to slay any foe!

The game is designed for 2–4 players, and plays in less than an hour. With three players, one player handles the guards, one the traitor, and one the ninja (the intruders don’t have to cooperate, either). With 4 players, the guards are split into two teams, which has its own benefits and challenges.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    So, Thief, the board game? Sounds interesting.

Darian on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Sounds a decent amount like Kill Teams from 40k, too.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    PMAvers wrote: »
    And out of nowhere (heh), AEG's new release for GenCon: Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion---

BOUGHT SO FUCKING HARD!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Fuck that sounds delicious. :D

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That ninja game sounds cool and it's pretty much an update and rethemed version of another game already out. I can't remember the name of it but the theme is that you are nuns in training sneaking out of your room to find an object and bring it back to your room before you're caught but the head nun.

In that game there's multiple players who are hidden and one player trying to find them. In Ninja it sounds like there is only one hidden character trying to be found by many, but there is also a traitor. The movement mechanics also sound better.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nuns on the Run. Interesting game.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Nuns on the Run. Interesting game.

And designed by the same guy as Ninja. (Fréderic Moyersoen.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'd buy that Ninja game. Shame that I decided I'm not doing GenCon this year so I'll have to wait until October.

I recently picked up "The Resistance" based on feedback on this thread. I like the non-elimination idea, but to me it sounds like it's still very easy to eliminate a player, especially if you're using the Plot cards. If that "Overheard Conversation" card comes up, you know right away whether a character is Resistance or a Spy, and if you're working opposite to their faction (particularly if you're Resistance), you'll reveal their character. It becomes very difficult for that character to offer any defense because almost anything they say looks suspicious. To me, it seems like the Spies have a much harder time winning, even though the rulebook says they'll likely win more often than not.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Ninja game sounds interesting, I'm really curious about how the traitor mechanic actually figures in to it all.

Fantastico: Lately I've been playing resistance with 5 players, which I believe means you don't play with Overheard Conversations, so forgive me if I am forgetting the specifics of the card. Keep in mind that the leader draws that card, and then plays it on someone. That person than gets to look at card of the player to his left or right. The trick is, the person looking is the only one who gets to look at the card, and you have no idea if you can trust the word of that person. They could easily be a resistance member telling the truth, or a spy that is lying, or even, a spy that is telling the truth.

I think spies have won a little more than resistance over all in my group, but honestly, most of the time when a team wins we can all agree that that team did a better job of either hiding or uncovering secrets.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Would this be the appropriate thread to try to gauge interest in a PbP game of Dungeon Lords? Just noticed that nobody's ever done one over here, which is a situation I may just have to rectify.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I'd e interested in Dungeon Lords. Either this thread or the PbP index thread are good places to mention potential new games. Would you be using the Cyberboard gamebox of it from BGG to generate the boards, or something you made yourself? (Or some other solution?)

Rules for Dungeon Lords are here if anyone wants to take a look.

pic569340_t.jpg

Darian on
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I was looking into using either Cyberboard stuff or just stealing the text-based format they've got over there. I played around with Cyberboard for a while last night - doesn't seem all that difficult to use.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Dear Fantasy Flight: reprint A Game of Thrones: the board game already. On a similar note: people who are selling used copies of the English version, kindly consider shipping to mainland Europe.

I wish I'd realized it was out of print before firmly deciding to get it, or that I had been richer a couple of years ago. Sigh.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's on their upcoming list as a reprint, but it doesn't say when. I'm thinking about taking advantage of its current high value and selling my copy before picking it up again when it's reprinted.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I put my copy up on ebay, starting at $40. I originally got it as part of a trade on BGG, almost for free. I was hoping to just get the MSRP on it.

It ended up selling for $90.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I saw it on the list, but without an actual date it's probably pretty far away. Which is balls. So, anyone who has an English copy of the game for sale and is willing to ship to Denmark: I'm very interested in doing business with you.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It's possible they're actually doing more than a simple reprint. Maybe a new/revised edition.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    And that's the biggest reason why I'm hesitant to unload my copy. I'd be really annoyed if the new version features images from the show or is otherwise incompatible with the existing expansions.

blahmcblah on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Eww, images from the show. As much as I like it (or, well I love it, actually. Watching it, I'm on the edge of my seat even though I know from the books what will happen), I really would prefer artwork based on the books for the board game. I find the old version quite pretty (Hooray, fantasy Flight production values).

Apropos the expansions, those don't seem to be getting a reprint any time soon.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's very tempting to sell my copy. But then I wouldn't have it. Decisions.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's very tempting to sell my copy. But then I wouldn't have it.

This. Although, TBH, I still have never had the opportunity to play my set.

antherem on
  • Options
    sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    antherem wrote: »

Hope you can fix this situation as it is a fantastic game.

sartori on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    sartori wrote: »

Hope you can fix this situation as it is a fantastic game.

Oh, I've played. I was the Lannisters. It all went well until everybody died. Just haven't gotten to bust out my personal copy as of yet.

antherem on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Man, they're fucking stupid if they don't have new copies rolling off the presses right now. The last few weeks has been the best opportunity they will ever have to sell that game.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if they knew that the show was being made. The smartest thing to do would have been to reprint it when the show was taking off.

You're probably right, Darkewolfe. They've likely missed their window to sell it to anyone that isn't a gamer. But that doesn't mean a reprint isn't worth it.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »
    A reprint of aGoT with the actors on their cards instead of mediocre art? I would have purchased that, and I already own it.

The license FF have might not refer to any TV shows. Probably not, since they got it long before the shows were even an idea. Or it might have expired and be expensive to renew because of the shows, meaning no-one wins!

Licenses sometimes don't even make money for the owners.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2011
    Changing the imagery of the board game would clash horribly. That works for a reprint of a game your company just required, or a new edition years in the future. But not this close.

To be fair, the board game doesn't have nearly the money-making potential of the card game. I'd imagine FFG wants more people to get hooked on that as opposed to the board game.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rorus hit it on the head.

They are very focused on their card lines right now. LOTR, Warhammer, AGOT, and Cthulu. Like Magic, I'm sure these are a much larger money maker for them compared to the board games.

And they won't be putting show art on the reprint. I will eat my own cock if that happens. More importantly, I want them to finish the War of the Ring revision and reprint. I already own a copy but I'd buy that again for redesigned cards and map.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've only played Doom (it's predecessor), but I have read quite a bit about it on the geek. I can say that the consensus is that it's much easier on the heroes than Doom and that's it is a fun, good game - but that it initially took way too long to do anything. Something that the campaigns were at least a partial remedy for...

I think if you enjoy the genre and have some good folks to play with, you oughta give it a shot!

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It sits at the point in time commitment where I'd prefer to start a campaign in a full-on rpg than play Descent. Each game is like a good long session, and I feel like it's easier to get people to commit to an rpg than a few games of Descent.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    On the other end of that, if you don't have a lot of time to commit to a campaign, the D&D boardgame Wrath of Ashardalon provides all of the fun of Descent in half the time, and a fraction of the cost.

Gaebril on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Picked up Alan R Moon's Airlines: Europe on a whim.

Wow. Thats some good stuff there.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We played some 2-player Alien Frontiers, which we tried twice, and the randomness seems to overwhelm the game with only one opponent. Both games ended up with runaway victories. I still like the game but I don't think I'll be playing it again with less than 3 players.

antherem on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    We played some 2-player Alien Frontiers, which we tried twice, and the randomness seems to overwhelm the game with only one opponent. Both games ended up with runaway victories. I still like the game but I don't think I'll be playing it again with less than 3 players.

It's interesting to me, as a nascent maths dork, that you think of that as random. Surely with all those repeated dice throws, the randomness must be very low? I guess it's chaotic - sensitive dependence on initial conditions and all that. Whoever is able to get an extra ship or whatever will win?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
This discussion has been closed.