As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Window for BYOC Signups CLOSED - SOLD OUT

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Just a shoutout to those of you planning on BYOC. Get your tickets, or you WILL miss out. Typically we sell out quickly and then hear from people who didn't get in before we sold out, don't let that happen to you!

In addition to the official World of Warcraft tournament, which will be BYOC only, we're going to have a whole bunch of random BYOC exclusive tournaments and contests, much of which I've posted in the pc tournament thread, but I'll repost here with a couple additions with ideas taken from that thread:

UT2004
Garry's Mod
DEFCON
Flatout 2
Typing of the Dead
Desktop Tower Defense
Baboviolent
Doom
PlasmaPong
Kitty Cannon

We'll be adding to this list as well, so if you've got ideas definitely speak up. For those of you RTS fans, I think we can put together a BYOC Only tournament for Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, or Supreme Commander as well, so reply with your votes. By the way, if any of you would like to run a BYOC only exclusive tournament for some game, send me a PM with what you'd like to do and why you'd like to do it along with any qualifications.

Something else we're trying to pull together (it's still very much under development, and honestly, I probably shouldn't say anything about it, but I'm just so gosh darn excited by the prospect) is a PC vs. Console tournament where we pit the noble proud pc forces against the dark unholy console players via Shadowrun or Halo 2 to finally answer the question of what's better, pc's or consoles.

Again, we're still working out the logistics of this so I can't guarentee it'll be present (really, I shouldn't be talking about it this early), but it's something we're trying VERY hard to pull together and it's something I'm personally extremely excited about.

Additionally, we'll have our own web based riddle/scavenger hunt game. It'll be similar to a lot of the webgames you've seen where each page has a question and the answer to that question will lead you to the next question, so on and so forth, with two exceptions. It will be limited strictly to PAX BYOC attendees, and you're not going to be able to get through it sitting on your ass the whole time. Oh, and naturally the first people to get all the way through it will win ph4t l3wtZes.

We'll also have a projector feed from the main concert hall so you'll be able to watch and listen to the concerts and other events all the comfort of your own computer.

SO MUCH STUFF.

Did I mention a seperate line just for BYOC people on opening day? What about automatic bracelets for BYOC people, did I mention that? How about our own bathrooms, Internet access for forums, IM access, WoW, and a private little spot to call your own in the middle of the crazy awesomeness that is PAX?

I should also probably note that this year the pc area is going to be comprised of nearly 700(!) computers. It's going to be massive. MASSIVE, I say.

http://guest.cvent.com/i.aspx?5S,M3,8f3b9018-2a28-4daf-860a-5f1a544deb83

Get it done now or regret it later. Seriously.

Seeya'll there!

David Coffman on

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    As I'm moderating a panel, Amber F. was supposed to set up my BYOC registration for my special guest pass. Do you know if I'm in the clear or should I give her a friendly poke? I sure as hell don't want to miss out on the BYOC.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited June 2007
    You'll be okay. Amber's very reliable. You know, for a chick. ;)

David Coffman on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    You'll be okay. Amber's very reliable. You know, for a chick. ;)

Id poke again to be sure cause she always forgets my things :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited June 2007
    The difference is, ElectricTurtle is important, and you're just....you know......you.

*cringe*

;)

David Coffman on
    edited June 2007
    Remind me to kick you in the nuts.

BigRed on
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't want to participate in BYOC this year, but I'm concerned because I don't think I got any notification that sign-ups were starting. If I did want to participate in BYOC, what would I have had to do?

Hirocon on
    edited June 2007
    Hirocon wrote: »
    I don't want to participate in BYOC this year, but I'm concerned because I don't think I got any notification that sign-ups were starting. If I did want to participate in BYOC, what would I have had to do?

When you register you put a check in the box that says you want to be contacted about BYOC.

Or follow the link dave gave you in the first post and put in your registration info to get a BYOC ticket.

BigRed on
  • HiroconHirocon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

When you register you put a check in the box that says you want to be contacted about BYOC.

Or follow the link dave gave you in the first post and put in your registration info to get a BYOC ticket.

That's why I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure I DID check that box, but I was never contacted. It's not a big deal because I don't actually want to participate this year, but I'm wondering why I wasn't contacted. How were potential participants contacted?

Hirocon on
    edited June 2007

That's why I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure I DID check that box, but I was never contacted. It's not a big deal because I don't actually want to participate this year, but I'm wondering why I wasn't contacted. How were potential participants contacted?

Mass email was sent out to the email you registered with.

If you didnt get it, check your spam filter.

BigRed on
    edited June 2007
    The email was sent on 5/31/07 at about 4:10pm PST.

David Coffman on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    AGHHGHG! 2 things about this thats driving me nuts.

I don't know how I am able to ship my computer along with my stuff on the train and Im on the console side of that PC VS CONSOLE tournament. And then there is classic console night :/

Aww man.. Why does pax have to make me make hard choices like this?

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2007
    ...and Im on the console side of that PC VS CONSOLE tournament. And then there is classic console night :/
    Awwe, see now, why ya gotta put yourself through that kind of pain? PC is going to DEEESSTRROOOOYY!

;)

I gotta tell ya, for me and Kethenn, the Console Freeplay Manager, this has become a point of rather intense contention. We're each extremely confident our respective sides will win. This BETTER work out, because it's going to be the only nonviolent resolution to our disagreement.

David Coffman on
    edited June 2007
    What are the details on that tourney? Is this an actual crossplatform battle?

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This PC vs Console so needs to have stage time on the big screen.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
    edited June 2007
    What are the details on that tourney? Is this an actual crossplatform battle?
    Yes, PC players will be battling it out against 360 players. More specifically, we're working on networking one of the console freeplay rooms with the BYOC network so console freeplay people can play against our BYOC people.

Bambooza: That's something we had looked at, unfortunately we just couldn't squeeze it in this year. There's only so much Awesome that can fit in a single event, you know. ;)

David Coffman on
    edited June 2007
    Whoa, in an actual crossplatform match, you're absolutely correct. Console peeps are going to get a complimentary ticket on the pain train to the 0wn zone, finally demonstrating that the PC simply has a superior interface.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    ...and Im on the console side of that PC VS CONSOLE tournament. And then there is classic console night :/
    Awwe, see now, why ya gotta put yourself through that kind of pain? PC is going to DEEESSTRROOOOYY!

;)

I gotta tell ya, for me and Kethenn, the Console Freeplay Manager, this has become a point of rather intense contention. We're each extremely confident our respective sides will win. This BETTER work out, because it's going to be the only nonviolent resolution to our disagreement.

If worse comes to worse, A pillow fight will be in order to settle it.

Viscountalpha on
    edited June 2007
    Yea, entirely possible.

I mean, not US pillow fighting, because we aren't hot chicks...but hot chicks pillow fighting.

It may not resolve anything, but it would distract us. Perhaps long enough to remember we're at each other's throats.

David Coffman on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is there room for traitors. What if I come to BYOC, but then sneak a 360 in and hook it up. Actually I don't own either game for both, so more than likely I'll be riding pine.

ThePimpImp on
    edited June 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    Is there room for traitors. What if I come to BYOC, but then sneak a 360 in and hook it up. Actually I don't own either game for both, so more than likely I'll be riding pine.

I personally dont have a problem with buying a seat to play your 360.

But the 360+screen will count as your setup. You CAN NOT have a console and your computer both hooked up. (power restrictions)

BigRed on
  • yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Got my shit registered just now :)

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a question on how the GMOD tourny would work, for i have been playing this mod since in came out, and would find it fun to battle it out in a virtual build-off.

Wombat!! on
    edited June 2007
    We're looking at possibly a race where you have to build your own car and race it down a trap riddle track.

David Coffman on
    edited June 2007
    Makes sence, but what would be stopping people from making a box, slidering it to the other end of the course, and putting as many thrusters as would fit on the back? We've done Game Ons on GMOD before, and there has always been that person who over does it and ends up winning.

Wombat!! on
    edited June 2007
    If we can't figure out a way to resolve that, we'll figure something else out. Suggestions are welcome.

David Coffman on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Perhaps some limitations on the vehicle mods are in order

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    I was thinking having it be vanilla. No mods or model packs allowed, just the stuff provided. If you can make stuff with that, you are good enough.

It would also help to have mods observing to make sure no cock-dickery or ass-hattery was afoot ingame. Limitations on everything but like, props would be good too.

Wombat!! on
    edited June 2007
    fear the rocket log. It is light and incredibly powerful. Precision turning. Also multiplayer gmod games are fun. A round of birds vs people is definately in order.

ThePimpImp on
    edited June 2007
    Another question. Since we have our own line this year(for friday), does this mean we won't be able to bring in equip ahead of time this year??? I also noticed exhibition hall open on friday this year (which is awesome), are we going to be able to hit the hall up from the byoc line on friday????? Friday was down time mostly last year so the hall could mix it up freeing for more game on sat/sun.

ThePimpImp on
    edited June 2007
    Re: Gmod, I'm mostly ignorant on Gmod, so I'm sending all ideas to the people who know more about it than I do, and are in charge of putting that contest together. One question I'm very curious about, by the way, is where you people stand on Gmod9 vs. Gmod10.

We're still looking at options for bringing equipment in ahead of time. I'm not sure I understand the second half of your question, though.

David Coffman on
    edited June 2007
    Another question. Since we have our own line this year(for friday), does this mean we won't be able to bring in equip ahead of time this year??? I also noticed exhibition hall open on friday this year (which is awesome), are we going to be able to hit the hall up from the byoc line on friday????? Friday was down time mostly last year so the hall could mix it up freeing for more game on sat/sun.

NOTE: THIS IS THE PLAN BUT ITS NOT 100% JUST YET

Thats what the separate line is for, to bring in equipment early. At least 1h before official pax opening (depending when the room is setup or mostly done) ill start checking you guys in so you can pick your seat and go start setting your stuff up. That way everyone who is there before opening should have their computer ready to go by pax start.

You will not be able to go into expo before anyone else.

BYOC people will only have access to the BYOC room before pax opening when I start BYOC-pre-prereg :P

I will have many guards making sure nobody wanders past BYOC before pax opening.

BigRed on
    edited June 2007
    Ok well on that note, does this mean we are hosed for getting into the regular line and therefore are going to have to wait quite a while to get into exhibition hall?? I'm mostly just curious because if thats the case, I'm definately not coming early and waiting in line this year I'll just come for the byoc line and chill in byoc for a few hours (which was last year's plan and definately pretty sweet), since that seems like the best option. I guess we likley won't find out how the line for getting in and line for getting into exhibition hall even works, because we have no idea how many people are going for that how much room there is and all that.

I guess it is only mid June still, but I'm trying to figure stuff out so I can get more people to come. Pestered one buddy(over who came last year and they did it to me last year) enough to pre reg (and byoc obv), need to get more.

So ya its basically a matter of are we gunna end up at the back of the exhibition hall line because of byoc?

BTW thanks for the quick replies.

As for GMOD, I don't even know if I've logged onto steam since last pax, so I'd have to ask my buddy on GMOD9 vs 10, although I suspect with him owning everything minus ps3 gaming wise he probably hasn't touched it much either. So either way, I'll be relearning whats going on.

As for the tourney for GMOD, if we are doing some kind of track race/obstacle course, just have obstacles that are off the ground or need jumping through to avoid the tracks and stuff (since they'll smash the obstacles) or just straight up ban them and put in a rule saying your "vehicle" must not be attached to anything. I still think some of the multiplayer modes would be sweet as well.

ThePimpImp on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    I remember hearing somewhere that the Exhibition hall doesn't open until sometime in the afternoon on Friday. Can't remember for sure though.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited June 2007
    Ok well on that note, does this mean we are hosed for getting into the regular line and therefore are going to have to wait quite a while to get into exhibition hall?? I'm mostly just curious because if thats the case, I'm definately not coming early and waiting in line this year I'll just come for the byoc line and chill in byoc for a few hours (which was last year's plan and definately pretty sweet), since that seems like the best option. I guess we likley won't find out how the line for getting in and line for getting into exhibition hall even works, because we have no idea how many people are going for that how much room there is and all that.

I guess it is only mid June still, but I'm trying to figure stuff out so I can get more people to come. Pestered one buddy(over who came last year and they did it to me last year) enough to pre reg (and byoc obv), need to get more.

So ya its basically a matter of are we gunna end up at the back of the exhibition hall line because of byoc?

Im not sure what you mean by the line to get into expo hall. The main pre-reg line isnt to get into expo hall...

Nobody gets to get into expo hall until PAX (and expo hall) opens.

Are you talking about the concerts or what? If so then the BYOC people get a concert wristband when they checkinto BYOC.

EDIT:
    Okay I think I know what you mean now.

PAX Opens before the expo hall on friday. The pre-reg line and BYOC pre-reg line are to get into pax. If people want to lineup to get into expo hall that happens after pax opens.

Obviously thats subject to change. If expo does open when all of PAX does, then if anything BYOC people will have a leg up on the other pre-reg people because BYOC is not even 400ft away from the expo/concert halls.

BigRed on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Im not sure what you mean by the line to get into expo hall. The main pre-reg line isnt to get into expo hall...

Nobody gets to get into expo hall until PAX (and expo hall) opens.

Are you talking about the concerts or what? If so then the BYOC people get a concert wristband when they checkinto BYOC.

EDIT:
    Okay I think I know what you mean now.

PAX Opens before the expo hall on friday. The pre-reg line and BYOC pre-reg line are to get into pax. If people want to lineup to get into expo hall that happens after pax opens.

Obviously thats subject to change. If expo does open when all of PAX does, then if anything BYOC people will have a leg up on the other pre-reg people because BYOC is not even 400ft away from the expo/concert halls.

compared to sakuracon this year.

Where is the byoc room going to be located?

atray on
    edited June 2007
    4C (Minus all the airwalls, one large room)
    The room will be BYOC, PC Freeplay, and PC tourney. More specifics are contained in our super secret layout.

(I think the anime theaters were in it at sakuracon)

BigRed on
  • atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yea there was a hallway separating the two big rooms (minus airwalls). That should be plenty of space.

atray on
    edited June 2007
    Oh ok, missed the separtion in starting times. Thanks for the quick reply, again. Well that means no rediculously early waiting if there is a BYOC line. BYOC was already awesome, but it keeps getting better.

AS for GMOD 10 again, I heard its $10, free > $10 unless somebody can give me reasons why. Gotta spend my money to get there.

ThePimpImp on
  • ZyzzyvasZyzzyvas Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    613292666byoc.png

:shock:

Which room is the Exhibition hall going to be in the WSCTC?

Zyzzyvas on
    edited June 2007
    Oh ok, missed the separtion in starting times. Thanks for the quick reply, again. Well that means no rediculously early waiting if there is a BYOC line. BYOC was already awesome, but it keeps getting better.

AS for GMOD 10 again, I heard its $10, free > $10 unless somebody can give me reasons why. Gotta spend my money to get there.

Gmod 10 is *GREATLY* improved over 9. Its really worth the $10. Trust me.

BigRed on
This discussion has been closed.