As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA XIV: Cheick Kongo vs. The World

• [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Indica1 wrote: »
    How did Overeem look like shit in this fight?

He did exactly what he went in there to do, win on the feet without getting taken down. A KO isn't a given against a top level heavyweight.

He was lethargic and [strike]conservative[/strike] reckless. He also [strike]took way more shots than he should have from[/strike] wasn't scared of getting knocked out by such a poor striker.

Fixed this for you. :P The only thing Overeem was conservative about was getting into a grappling match against a world-caliber grappler. In terms of the stand-up game, he was clearly willing to wade in and slug it out.

I don't think we were watching the same fight, because I did not see a slug fest. A slug fest, in my mind, is when both fighters are in the pocket, exchanging blows -which are landing mind you- and instead of defending they merely attack harder.

I saw none of that. I don't know what the stats are, but Overeem threw very few punches. Some of these were quite good, and his knees were great. Yes, he was obviously concerned about the takedowns. But an elite striker stuffing takedowns, and then being totally unable to capitalize on that is not interesting to watch. Sprawl and brawl is a time honored tactic in MMA, with Liddell and CroCop being two of its most effective disciples. Shots, especially slow, telegraphed out of range shots like Werdum was using are in the grand scheme of things pretty easy to counter. Overeem showed little inclination to do so. When he did opt to attack he did so with single or double blows, instead of loading up on the jab, using three hit combos or more diverse strikes that he is very capable of doing.

Werdum for his part fought a terrible fight. His strikes that landed are not a credit to his striking skill, but instead to Overeems defensive posture. His takedowns were as atrociously bad as a BJJ guy can get. This was a boring fight, and its mostly Werdum's fault.**

It is hard to look good against a guy fighting like Werdum. But Overeem seemed to fight well below his level, and displayed no aggression or killer instinct. He sauntered around, lingering on the feet to rest or fix his ankle sleave while Werdum also rested on the ground. This fight reminded me of GSP vs Shields. I'm a huge fan of GSP, but that was simply a poor fight. Shields put on a terrible performance, but GSP's inability to capitalize on the clearly huge differential in skill was boring to watch. Same with this fight.

I dislike Werdum in the first place because of his fight against Arlovski, which was another example of an exciting striker in AA fighting a terribly, terribly boring fight. It was only partially his fault, but he basically got the boot from the UFC because of it, even though he won. Here's what Werdum's striking looked like in that fight...
    werdumslap.gif

It wasn't even the only slap of the fight, either. God knows why, he was losing after all.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    To segue away from [Tycho?]'s arguefest,

Riki Fukuda, the guy who was robbed against Nick Ring, is knocked out of UFC 133 due to a car accident injury.

First Rosario, now him. This sucks. :?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    People seem to not understand that Werdum is one of the best HW's in the world

He has only been stopped once in his entire career and he has fought some of the best. That stoppage was also when he came in fat and unprepared against JDS, someone we know is excellent now and might soon be the champion in the UFC.

Werdum is not the greatest striker but he is competent enough to be hassle to any HW, as his career has already illustrated. Expecting Overeem to go in there and destroy Werdum seemed to be common perception but it was a pretty silly one

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Expecting Werdum to show up to fight was also a common perception that was a silly one.

JustinSane07 on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    @ Tycho?: The stats were that Overeem threw less punches, but landed more often (it was somewhere in the neighborhood of Reem hitting 60 something % of his shots to Werdum's 40 something %) and landed more powerfully. The only thing he really could have done better would have been to posture up in Werdum's guard and try and throw more punches, but that would have been a stupid idea to anyone who saw how Fedor lost to Fabricio. Reem isn't an idiot. I'm sure he wanted a KO, too, but following Werdum into his guard and swinging for the fences would have been an obviously retarded idea.

Overeem fought a smart fight and came out the winner. There's only so much you can do against a guy that flops on his back and actually prays for you to jump down into his guard so he can break your arm or choke you out. I wanted a cool KO finish by Reem, too, but it didn't happen. Let's all move on with our lives.

By the way, I love how this grand prix really is a world grand prix. You've got an American, a Brazilian, a Russian and a Dutchman in the semis.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited June 2011
    So Wiki is saying that the UFC on Versus is on the 26th, which is Sunday night. Do they have it wrong? UFC cards are pretty much always on Saturdays, aren't they?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    UFC.com says it's 2AM Monday morning in the UK, so I guess wiki is right.

815165 on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    So Wiki is saying that the UFC on Versus is on the 26th, which is Sunday night. Do they have it wrong? UFC cards are pretty much always on Saturdays, aren't they?

versus fights are usually on sundays, going back to the WEC.

Dynagrip on
    edited June 2011
    True. I'd forgotten about how WEC used to run.

ChillyWilly on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    There's only so much you can do against a guy that flops on his back and actually prays for you to jump down into his guard so he can break your arm or choke you out.

Like soccer kicks and stomps and yellow cards. Stupid SACs.

BubbaT on
    edited June 2011
    I don't like stomps because the floor is involved but soccer kicks need to happen.

815165 on
    edited June 2011
    Not sure if this is the real poster or someone's fun Photoshop project, but I like it. Need a more hi-res version, though.

UFC-134-poster-389x5501.jpg

ChillyWilly on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    I don't like stomps because the floor is involved but soccer kicks need to happen.

if you don't like the floor don't put yourself there?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

There's a 0% chance that any athletic comission is going to allow stomps in professional MMA. I mean I get it, there's got to be a way to discourage guys from flopping around trying to get someone to jump into their guard, but stomps and probably soccer kicks aren't the answer.

I don't see why the couldn't institute a system of verbal warnings by the referee to a fighter that could result in a technical disqualification if they're ignored. I'm thinking of extreme examples like the Quarry/Starnes fight but even shit like what happened with Werdum and Overeem shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Peen on
    edited June 2011

This is why soccer kicks are a good answer, you can punish someone on the ground without having the safety concern of having someone's skull smashed between someone's heel and the canvas.

More realistically I'd love to see the status of being a downed opponent be revised, especially when it comes to knees. It's pathetic watching these guys stood up but with a finger touching the floor to prevent their opponent throwing a knee.

815165 on
    edited June 2011
    They really just need to institute the old Pride system of carding people for not listening to instructions. But I think the fines should be extremely hefty to make sure that people follow the rules. Some guys won't care about a 10% purse reduction. So I propose that you get a verbal warning or two. Then your first card is a 50% purse cut (all of which goes to your opponent, hopefully) and the second is an automatic DQ. And if you're a champ and you hit that second card for the DQ, you lose your title. I'm talking about seriously bad financial and career repercussions for fighters that are bad about grabbing the cage, kneeing guys in the groin, flopping on the mat like a fish, not following the refs instructions, not engaging their opponent, etc.

Basically, if you're not here to follow the rules, you need to find a new line of work.

Completely unrelated: Now that Zuffa owns Strikeforce, am I the only one hoping the put out some "Best of" DVDs? Or maybe just releasing all the individual events? I have seen very few Strikeforce shows and I wouldn't mind looking back on the history of the organization.

ChillyWilly on
    edited June 2011
    Peen wrote: »

There's a 0% chance that any athletic comission is going to allow stomps in professional MMA. I mean I get it, there's got to be a way to discourage guys from flopping around trying to get someone to jump into their guard, but stomps and probably soccer kicks aren't the answer.

Oh, I agree it won't happen.

Though I'm not worried about soccer kicks and stomps being any more dangerous than allowing Anderson Silva to cram knees into a guy's face over and over. They're just going to be allowed because of aesthetics.
    I don't see why the couldn't institute a system of verbal warnings by the referee to a fighter that could result in a technical disqualification if they're ignored. I'm thinking of extreme examples like the Quarry/Starnes fight but even shit like what happened with Werdum and Overeem shouldn't be allowed to happen.

It would be nice if refs deducted points for anything other than the 5th groin shot in under a minute. Instead they let guys get away with everything - strikes to the back of the head, cage grabbing, etc. What's the point of having rules if no one enforces them?

BubbaT on
    edited June 2011
    I'm now more excited for the Silva/Overeem fight because I think Silva is more likely to make it a stand up fight. He's got a ground game, but he doesn't really use it all that much.

Hopefully Bigfoot does exactly that, and Overeem knees his block off. Silva accused Wilcox of quitting against JZ, even though it was clear that Wilcox's eye was injured. He also accused Brock of faking his illness.

Also, enjoy: Al Bundy, BJJ blackbelt under Rorion Gracie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wVlZX6Bw9E

BubbaT on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't remember if we've talked about the Gracie breakdowns, but it would be shame if you missed it. If you haven't heard about it, it's a technical breakdown of interesting BJJ techniques in MMA by two Gracie brothers (Rener and Ryron I think). I'm not a grappler, but I find these videos super interesting. Check 'em out if you haven't seen 'em before.

The latest is a breakdown of the Heun Almeida fight:

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited June 2011
    They really just need to institute the old Pride system of carding people for not listening to instructions. But I think the fines should be extremely hefty to make sure that people follow the rules. Some guys won't care about a 10% purse reduction. So I propose that you get a verbal warning or two. Then your first card is a 50% purse cut (all of which goes to your opponent, hopefully) and the second is an automatic DQ. And if you're a champ and you hit that second card for the DQ, you lose your title. I'm talking about seriously bad financial and career repercussions for fighters that are bad about grabbing the cage, kneeing guys in the groin, flopping on the mat like a fish, not following the refs instructions, not engaging their opponent, etc.

Basically, if you're not here to follow the rules, you need to find a new line of work.

Completely unrelated: Now that Zuffa owns Strikeforce, am I the only one hoping the put out some "Best of" DVDs? Or maybe just releasing all the individual events? I have seen very few Strikeforce shows and I wouldn't mind looking back on the history of the organization.

Do we really want to give UFC refs that much power, considering how frequently incompetent they are?

I totally agree about the yellow cards though. That was such a great feature, it would benefit the UFC greatly. Knees on the ground too, though thats unrelated to these last fights. Soccer kicks and stomps I don't see happening, and I'm fairly neutral on those anyway.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited June 2011

Do we really want to give UFC refs that much power, considering how frequently incompetent they are?

I totally agree about the yellow cards though. That was such a great feature, it would benefit the UFC greatly. Knees on the ground too, though thats unrelated to these last fights. Soccer kicks and stomps I don't see happening, and I'm fairly neutral on those anyway.

Well, I am running these rules under the assumption that if they were in place, we would also have better judges and better refs. And like I said, it would take a verbal warning or two to get to the point of you losing money. But guys like Kongo (short grabbing and frequent groin shots) need to start getting hit in the pocketbook if they're going to change.

Every judge needs to be Herb Dean, Big John or Josh Rosenthal. I've seen massive mistakes in the past from just about every other regular UFC ref.

ChillyWilly on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Every judge needs to be Herb Dean, Big John or Josh Rosenthal. I've seen massive mistakes in the past from just about every other regular UFC ref.
    Herb Dean is a bad one himself.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Kongo

Watch yo' mouf.

adytum on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    he's in the top of a lot of mediocre.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I give Marc Goddard some credit for actually posting on Sherdog to debate / explain decisions he has made in the past, he actually trains and knows he is fallible.

Venkman90 on
    edited June 2011
    ChillyWilly on
    edited June 2011
    I might just be completely missing it, but who is involved in the next round of PAFC and what event(s) will it cover?

ChillyWilly on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just going to say. Some of you guys are fucking nuts.

But as an aside. Holy shit so much MMA this summer.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011

There could be an appeals system set up, to protect fighters from over-zealous refs.

And I'd settle for just changing the definition of a "downed fighter". I'd change it to:
    - A fighter is "down" when they have: A) both knees touching the mat while face down; or B) 1 shoulder touching the mat while face up; or C) their head is touching the mat, either face up or down.

Everything else counts as "up". If a guy is sitting on his butt like Werdum or Aoki, kick him in the face. Since they're sitting up, the mat doesn't enter the equation any more than it would if they were standing.

The idea that a guy is "down" when he's only touching the mat with his feet and 1 finger (ie, a football-style 3-point stance) is ridiculous.

BubbaT on
    edited June 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »

There could be an appeals system set up, to protect fighters from over-zealous refs.

No no no no no!

This is a minor example of something I think should be avoided at all costs in reforming: making more rules.

Now sometimes this has to be done, of course. But taking away rules is better than adding new ones. The fewer the rules, the better. This does not mean the sport should be as brutal as possible, of course not. But solving problems with the sport by introducing new rules only results in having a huge amount of rules, which is confusing for everyone and difficult to enforce. The above is a perfect example.

Problem: fighters break rules and get away with it.
    Solution: create new rules for a warning system that gives a ref more power to penalize a fighter
    Problem with the solution: refs have an awful lot of power
    Solution: create an additional beurecracy that can retroactively change a refs decision.
    Problem with the solution: gives whoever is on the appeals commitee an awful lot of power...
    etc.

When rules create problems, just add more rules!

In reality, refs already have a ton of power. They can take points, and they can issue DQs. A large problem is that the refs either don't see the fouls or merely neglect to issue penalties, as is their discretion. Giving the refs additional power will not necessarily change anything, as they are shy about wielding the power they do have. Introducing an appeals committee, which could embarrass a ref by changing his call, could make refs meeker and less willing to issue penalties. In short, we could add a bunch of new and complicated rules that are not guaranteed to help, and could even make things worse.

I think rules should only be added as a last resort. Before this, change existing rules. First of all, see if there are any rules that can be removed that could help with the problem. Removing the refs ability to take points may be a good thing. As it is, taking a point makes it extremely difficult for a fighter to win, and totally changes the fight. A fine may be more appropriate, as it has an effect on the fighters, though doesn't really alter the course of the fight itself. This is not guaranteed to work either, but at least we end up with the same number of rules as before instead of making everything more complicated.

Sorry for the rant, but yeah, I'm against adding a million and one rules to try and "fix" mma judging.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited June 2011
    This has nothing to do with MMA judging. This is about fining fighters for fouls committed or other unsportsmanlike conduct - as determined by refs, not judges. Most other major pro sports, both team and individual, have this. MMA has already had it, as seen with yellow cards in Pride.

All I've proposed is that if a fighter feels they were unfairly fined as a result of being wrongly called for a foul, there should be a mechanism in place for the fighter to appeal the fine/call. Which is also something other major pro sports have.

I haven't created any "more rules" at all.

And the "additional bureaucracy" in Zuffa would probably be Dana and the Fretittas, or whoever they handpick for the appeals committe.

Dana and the Frettitas are already in a position to levy de facto fines in the form of withholding purses. They probably already engage in similar behavior already - the SACs can't really do anything about the UFC choosing to withhold bonuses and other under-the-table payments. For example, the SACs (and whatever body passes for an SAC in Australia) didn't say jack when Dana withheld Bisping's bonus for UFC 127.

All this would do is make the process more transparent, and give fighters a chance to plead their case.

BubbaT on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    An appeal system is already in place with the state athletic commissions, as it were.

Though as Bubba points out, they don't have much teeth against the UFC.

They are, however, quite effective in sanctions against individual athletes.

adytum on
    edited June 2011
    I just want to see José Aldo, Shogun and Paul Daley be able to soccer kick again. :(

815165 on
    edited June 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    An appeal system is already in place with the state athletic commissions, as it were.

Honestly, I trust Zuffa leadership more than the SACs. Dana may act like a jackass from time to time, but AFAIK he's not into cronyist corruption like some of the more prominent SACs in the US.

Especially considering the refs are employed by the SACs. Since the appeals would be against decisions made by the ref, it could create a conflict of interest.

BubbaT on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I loved soccer kicks. They did look brutal but hey it's MMA, they should be allowed and there's nothing to suggest a soccer kick is more dangerous than someone getting shin'd by a highkick. Shogun showed just how effective they are against a lot of unfortunate japanese men <3

Still, I understand why they are not included. MMA has a hard enough time as it is to be seen as a mainstream sport without having angry Brazilians punting people

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2011
    Maybe Badr Hari would give MMA another go if someone told him you can kick people on the ground.

815165 on
    edited June 2011
    BubbaT wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »

Honestly, I trust Zuffa leadership more than the SACs. Dana may act like a jackass from time to time, but AFAIK he's not into cronyist corruption like some of the more prominent SACs in the US.

Especially considering the refs are employed by the SACs. Since the appeals would be against decisions made by the ref, it could create a conflict of interest.

Yeah, I agree with this one. Those SACs are basically built to be corrupt. The UFC probably is too, to an extent that any major company is going to be. But Dana builds the UFC, and the sport of MMA along with it. God knows the Commissions aren't going to be doing anything useful.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    K-1 POST

Men of the MMA thread, K-1 has been resurrected, and true to Japanese culture, it has fused with technology to become terrifying and awesome to behold. The 2011 63-kg tournament is free on youtube June 25th!

So what?

Well, last year, for the first time, K-1 decided to have a tournament for the manorexic and unintentionally unleashed the ten thousand metric tonnes of anger lodged in the hearts of these tiny, intensely dieting, Asians. Heads were kicked, faces smashed, a popstar male model Karate fighter fought an ET lookalike, a man was practically beheaded in front of his young wife and child. Shit got real and went down.

You wordy fuck!

Point taken. Video: Last year's high lights! A vow of vengeance! Epic voice! Engrish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c9Ph4CoAM4

Sadly, it left out Kizaemon Saiga's totally strange, flipping, vertically spinning Karate kick.

Also, at one point someone dressed as an Alien was there. Oh Japan.

Who is fighting?

Tournament brackets!

tournament_110625.gif

Quality brackets, gentlemen. Pretty much dream match ups from round one. Then again, I only know half of those fighters and the rest might be intended as canon fodder. It's a new weight class with few established fighters.

I hope Yuta Kubo question marks kicks Kizaemon Saiga into living death.

Prediction: Yamato learns from his last fights, comes out aggressive from the start and make people wilt with his power. He wins the tournament again.

Hope: Yuta Kubo evolves into more of a counter striker, reads every opponent, frustrates them with lighter strikes and lands head kicks when they open up more and takes the tournament crown.

Where can I watch it?

K-1's official youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=K1

When is it on?

June 25th 15:30 JST (UTC +9 hours)

Central European time:
    Saturday, 25 June 2011, 08:30:00 CEST UTC+2 hours

UK time:
    Saturday, 25 June 2011, 07:30:00 BST UTC+1 hour

USA time:
    Saturday, 25 June 2011, 02:30:00 EDT UTC-4 hours

Still can't figure it out?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
    edited June 2011
    all my dicks

hopefully there's some way to watch it after the broadcast, too, as much as I'd love to stay at home on a Saturday night and watch some K1 I doubt I'll be able to get away with it.

edit: wait, that's 8AM

ALL MY DICKS

815165 on
  • XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    8:30 in the morning? I'll try to watch it, but there's no way I'll actually manage to get up that early on a saturday.

I'm also kind of torn on whether K-1 being back is a good thing or not.

Xrdd on